• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena enjoys 'Hero Season'

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

I hope you are getting nicer weather as the days shorten.

MUCH nicer for running. Becoming a distance runner has really changed my perspective on seasons.

 

10 hours ago, Mistr said:

That takes courage to face those dark corners. And to face sorting the stuff.

YES! You are inspiring me. As soon as I log off I'm gonna spend 15 minutes dealing with the stuff that's still laying around.

 

19 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

At the moment we are doing our best to keep the kids lying in later. It is already broad daylight way before 6am in the mornings.

I had to buy blackout curtains last year to finally solve that problem. It took me a long time to realize sleep deprivation was making me extra grouchy in summer.

 

Today was so-so. I slept too late to run (not a big deal, I have some flexibility in the schedule). I made it to yoga, but the class wasn't quite what I had hoped. Her Saturday class is a little more fun/advanced. This one is still good but not too challenging.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2019 at 9:46 PM, Xena said:

I had to buy blackout curtains last year to finally solve that problem.

 

I'm doing the opposite to try to make myself get up early; I keep the window and blind wide open so the sun wakes me up as early as possible. Assuming the cats don't step on my face in the pre-dawn.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 3:46 AM, Xena said:

I had to buy blackout curtains last year to finally solve that problem.

We have dark curtains in our own bedroom, which helps. I probably need to get dark curtains for the boys' room too, although the almost teenager has proven this week that it is indeed possible to sleep late even with a lot of sun shining in...

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/4/2019 at 3:26 PM, DJtrippyT said:

 

I'm doing the opposite to try to make myself get up early; I keep the window and blind wide open so the sun wakes me up as early as possible. Assuming the cats don't step on my face in the pre-dawn.

 

Yeah I came up with a completely first-world solution to that problem. I was getting up too early in summer but generally like waking up with the sun. So I bought blackout shades and a dawn-simulator alarm clock. And yes, there is the random cat-walk factor too. That just adds a little spice to life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've lost track of my goals a little bit but don't want to give up on this challenge. So I'm guessing a little bit on a couple things and jumping back in for the last two weeks:

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

1. Run 125 miles. It will probably be more. I just do what my coach says, but I want "credit" for it. My biggest race of the year will be the Monumental Marathon in Indiana in early November.

 

Oh hell yes! I pulled off a 20-miler yesterday, giving me 40 miles for the week and 97 for the challenge. With the cooler weather I finally feel like a runner again.

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

2. Cross train 3x per week. This is strength/mobility stuff. I've made a list of things that count: gym sessions, yoga class, some at-home workouts. Whatever I choose to do is fine. Success = at least 12 workouts during the 5 weeks.

 

Ok lost track here. Once during week 1 (maybe more??). Twice during week 2 I think. Once so far this week. Counting myself as up to 4/16 and planning to go to yoga today. Not doing great, but at least I'm counting again.

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

3. Calories under 2300 at least 16 days. This goal has been working really well. I'm on the upper edge of my goal range right now. Want to get down about 2 more pounds and then will be onto the harder job of maintenance.

 

Lost track here too and have been lacy about tracking. Twice each during weeks 1 and 2. This week didn't really track...sort of tracked yesterday (wrote things down but didn't calculate everything) and am pretty sure I'm under the target. Counting myself as up to 5/12. 

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

4. Deep clean the dining room and closets. My living room cleanup goal from last challenge was the most helpful one I've had in a while. This goal includes: scrub floor, move paddleboard to store outdoors, Mari Kondo coat closet and utility room, take any junk to the dump, get carbon monoxide detector, dry down and dispose of old latex paint, dust furniture and lamps, try to remove spot on dining room table, clean sliders (glass and screens).

 

Yes! I stalled on this while my back hurt, but I've gotten back to this. The past couple days I put away all the stuff from the closet and did some more exciting work on watching paint dry. I've finished the things in green. Will do a little more on this today. Several of these things can be done fairly quickly.

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

 

Leftover goals

100 pushups (at time of writing up to 61)

50 chin up negatives (currently at 12/50)

Sushi list...one lingering item left and then will write a new one.

 

Haven't been working on pushups...stuck at 73, I think. Ditto for negatives, stuck at 18. Will go to the gym Monday...but planning to go to a vigorous yoga class today, so I'm guessing my arms may be too sore to do much on those goals.

Sushi list...have an idea for the logistics of finishing that up. Will make some inquiries today.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today I went to "hip hop yoga" class in the big city...it's just a heated vinyasa class with loud music. I like it. Some people shudder at the idea, but it's fun and the actual physical yoga (asana) is fully legit. Because of the location, it mostly draws college kids, and some of them are extremely fit/athletic. I was kind of proud today. I'm pretty sure I was the oldest person in the room (and definitely 15-20 years above average) and I kept up just fine.

 

I did a good deed and helped to older Asian ladies figure out the subway. There was some kind of problem at one of the stations with a connecting line, so they had to take an alternate route. That would have been hard to figure out if you were struggling with the language. I showed them where to go on a map, and even rounded them up when later they started turning off in the wrong direction. I have a terrible sense of direction, so it's not so often that I can help other people.

 

I made my calorie goal and have some meals of known caloric content to start week 4 off well. Batch cooking is the absolute only way I can deal with calorie counting}

 

I also spent a small fortune on running shoes today. Does anyone else have experience with excessive wear on the outer heel? Under spoiler b/c boring unless you are really into running nerdiness.

 



I've been wearing two pairs of road shoes and some trail shoes. One pair (Altra Torins) has been falling apart for a while, and I've continued to keep them in the rotation out of pure stubbornness. The outer layer of the outer left heel wore off, and I'm tearing through the upper by the big toes. I've never worn out an outer heel before, so I thought it was just a fluke. Maybe something I was doing on the treadmill or stationary bike this winter. My other pair (Brooks Adrenaline) isn't all that old (348 miles). Yesterday during my 20-miler, I felt something sticky on the bottom of my shoe. I reached down and found that the same part of the left outer heel had torn off. I was really surprised. I almost always get 500 miles out of my shoes, and lately have been pushing it to 600 b/c I feel guilty about all the waste. I know they tell you that you should get 350-500, but I always figured the lower end of that was made up by people trying to sell shoes.

 

I was surprised the outer heel has been wearing because I've always been a moderate overpronator. I read about it online. Some sites say that wear along the outside of the shoe indicates supination. That didn't seem right. Other sites (that seemed more legit to me) said pretty much everyone wears the outer heel more than the inner heel and the supination/pronation is more evident from looking at the forefoot. These sites said that excessive wear in the heel indicates overstriding. This is a little surprising to me too. I don't think it is true in most of my running, but I guess it's something to be careful of during speed work. And along with this, I have been feeling some tenderness in my right heel for the past few weeks. I haven't been able to figure it out. Sometimes I think it might be tendonitis, but sometimes it feels more like a bruise. So striking more on the midfoot or just landing more gently seems like a good thing.

 

Anyway, because I was in the big city, with the big city running shoe store, I decided to ditch my two pairs of now-sketchy shoes. I dropped more money than I wanted to and now have two new pairs. I went for the Brooks Adrenaline again and the Altra Escalante. Hoping they worked out...each a half size different than I had before.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a big freakout today because my laptop decided to shut itself off and wouldn't restart (it was plugged into a docking station that links it to power, a monitor, keyboard, mouse, internet). I shrugged, took it home and left it in my backpack for several hours. When I finally took it out to deal with it, it was "revving" and hot. I couldn't turn it on or make it stop, and I freaked out. I called my BFF and she told me to hold down the power key for a few seconds to do a hard shutdown. It worked just fine and then restarted normally. It was weird that I didn't manage to figure that out for myself. I know that trick. It was just nice to talk to someone outside the situation.

 

Got to the gym today (6/12) and made my calorie goal (7/16). Did some pushups, but only negatives and knee, so they don't count toward the goal. Did at least 3 negative chinups (somehow lost track), so at 21/50. 

 

Over the past few days I made some progress on the dining room goal. I wrote a bunch of detail, but it was boring, so I deleted it.

Green stuff is done. Purple stuff is started. 

On 10/6/2019 at 7:35 AM, Xena said:

Deep clean the dining room and closets. My living room cleanup goal from last challenge was the most helpful one I've had in a while. This goal includes: scrub floor, move paddleboard to store outdoors, Mari Kondo coat closet and utility room, take any junk to the dump, get carbon monoxide detector, dry down and dispose of old latex paint, dust furniture and lamps, try to remove spot on dining room table, clean sliders (glass and screens).

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 2:06 AM, Xena said:

Because of the location, it mostly draws college kids, and some of them are extremely fit/athletic. I was kind of proud today. I'm pretty sure I was the oldest person in the room (and definitely 15-20 years above average) and I kept up just fine.

Woot! Woot! But anyone who can run a 20miler is top notch! Way to inspire those younglings :D

 

On 10/7/2019 at 2:06 AM, Xena said:

I did a good deed and helped to older Asian ladies figure out the subway. There was some kind of problem at one of the stations with a connecting line, so they had to take an alternate route. That would have been hard to figure out if you were struggling with the language. I showed them where to go on a map, and even rounded them up when later they started turning off in the wrong direction. I have a terrible sense of direction, so it's not so often that I can help other people.

Oh that was awesome of you!

 

Glad the laptop is working again, and woot! woot! on all the other goals, cleaning, etc. that you've managed to do. I agree with Tank about the 5 week challenge; it feels like it is worthwhile to pick up on those challenges you couldn't quite get to, even when you are in the middle of the challenge, because you have a chance to actually get all or part of it done. And you've proven it!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you're coming back strong.- it's something I'm liking about this longer challenge format; as Tank says it gives you a chance to come back to a challenge if you have a bad week half way through.

 

On the shoes, I do wear the outer heel more than the inner heel (on all footwear, not just runnjng shoes), and I always thought that was due to overpronation. I may also be guilty of overstriding though, and I have been getting occasional pain in my heal, so it could be that too?

 

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Don't beat yourself up about the laptop, sometimes we just have to say something out loud for it to click, sometimes we need a friend to point out the obvious. We've all been there. 

 

IagreewithTank™

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2019 at 4:20 AM, Xena said:

I had a big freakout today because my laptop decided to shut itself off and wouldn't restart (it was plugged into a docking station that links it to power, a monitor, keyboard, mouse, internet). I shrugged, took it home and left it in my backpack for several hours. When I finally took it out to deal with it, it was "revving" and hot.

 

If it happens again, it could be a "simple" matter of needing a new dose of thermal paste. That stuff gets used with time and is a very necessary element of the heat management of the laptop. If you have a computer savy friend, I'd ask them for help. Otherwise, either call the support service or google it, get the paste and a screwdriver and do it yourself (assuming the machine isn't covered by warranty anymore: this would void it). How many computers have been thrown away because they needed some obscure consumable while still working perfectly beside of that? We'll never know... maybe they reincarnate in coffemakers afterwards is all I'm saying.

 

Other than that, I'll just +1 Elize because your running is awesome and so is showing it to them, youngsters.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Jean said:

If it happens again, it could be a "simple" matter of needing a new dose of thermal paste. That stuff gets used with time and is a very necessary element of the heat management of the laptop. If you have a computer savy friend, I'd ask them for help. Otherwise, either call the support service or google it, get the paste and a screwdriver and do it yourself (assuming the machine isn't covered by warranty anymore: this would void it). How many computers have been thrown away because they needed some obscure consumable while still working perfectly beside of that? We'll never know... maybe they reincarnate in coffemakers afterwards is all I'm saying.

Computer is new and definitely under warranty. I think it just got itself messed up somehow and didn't shut down properly. If something weird happens again, I'll deal with it. I didn't know about thermal paste!

Ooooh coffeemaker in a previous life. I had NOT considered that!

 

Yesterday was just some running. And I took apart an old vacuum cleaner so I could throw it out.

Today running, yoga, made the calorie goal (barely!!!), and washed the dining room floor.

 

Big rainstorm coming tomorrow. I think I might have to do a long interval workout on the dreadmill. Ugh!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Xena said:

Yesterday was just some running. And I took apart an old vacuum cleaner so I could throw it out.

Today running, yoga, made the calorie goal (barely!!!), and washed the dining room floor.

 

Big rainstorm coming tomorrow. I think I might have to do a long interval workout on the dreadmill. Ugh!

 

Way to go! How often do you do yoga? Looking to limber up and trying to figure out how to fit yoga in.

 

I think I’m in the same general geographic area as you and am bracing for the next few days of rain, rain, rain. Good luck on the indoor solutions!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, theophilus said:

Way to go! How often do you do yoga? Looking to limber up and trying to figure out how to fit yoga in.

 

I try to get to a class once a week. I go on-and-off with doing yoga on my own at home. When I do it at home, I usually only manage about 20 minutes. That's an argument in favor of continuing to fit in classes.

 

23 hours ago, theophilus said:

I think I’m in the same general geographic area as you and am bracing for the next few days of rain, rain, rain. Good luck on the indoor solutions!

 

Today was weird! Stormy but never really rained that hard. I should have just run outside, but the whole day it felt like a downpour was imminent. Instead, I tried running on the dreadmill and gave up less than halfway through what I intended.

 

22 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Great job at getting all the things done! 

 

Thanks!

 

Today's report: I wimped out on the treadmill. I was supposed to do 8-10 800's. It was boring and unpleasant. After 4 of them, the treadmill decided to turn itself off. I was confused but then decided that I also didn't want to run anymore, so I gave it. It was straight-up mental weakness. On the plus, I made my calorie goal...now 9/12 I think.

 

Toward my sushi list, I made a list of some important account information to tuck in with my will and associated stuff. It's all ready to go. I just gotta round up some friends and head to the bank to get it notarized. I already have one friend lined up and just need to figure out the best time to do it.

 

Toward housecleaning stuff, I finally cleaned the floor.

Just gotta throw out a bit more junk, get rid of more paint, and wash the slider windows/screens. A rainstorm isn't a good time for either window washing or paint drying, so I feel ok about putting it off.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 4 + Monday Update

 

Sunday was my birthday. I went out to a friend's cabin over the weekend out in Western Mass. It was really beautiful...perfect fall foliage. Ran a hard trail race on Sunday, and had a great time visiting with friends. Mother Nature even conjured up a beautiful Hunter's Moon for me.

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

1. Run 125 miles. It will probably be more. I just do what my coach says, but I want "credit" for it. My biggest race of the year will be the Monumental Marathon in Indiana in early November.

 

This week of running got messed up by the Nor'easter. I still got 29.5 miles and up up to 129 for the challenge. All set on official challenge miles, and the coming week should be a big mileage week.

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

2. Cross train 3x per week. This is strength/mobility stuff. I've made a list of things that count: gym sessions, yoga class, some at-home workouts. Whatever I choose to do is fine. Success = at least 12 workouts during the 5 weeks.

 

Went to the gym today. Not sure if I've missed logging some days or if I've just been a slacker. I think I'm only up to 8/12. Could still make it, but it will be tough.

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

3. Calories under 2300 at least 16 days. This goal has been working really well. I'm on the upper edge of my goal range right now. Want to get down about 2 more pounds and then will be onto the harder job of maintenance.

 

Only up to 8/16. Not looking like I'll make this goal, but will see if I can get at least 12 days. Many days the "problem" has been not tracking, rather than eating poorly, so I'm not too worried.

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

4. Deep clean the dining room and closets. My living room cleanup goal from last challenge was the most helpful one I've had in a while. This goal includes: scrub floor, move paddleboard to store outdoors, Mari Kondo coat closet and utility room, take any junk to the dump, get carbon monoxide detector, dry down and dispose of old latex paint, dust furniture and lamps, try to remove spot on dining room table, clean sliders (glass and screens).

 

Almost done. Just some odds and ends to finish up.

 

On 9/7/2019 at 12:38 PM, Xena said:

Leftover goals

100 pushups (at time of writing up to 61)

50 chin up negatives (currently at 12/50) 

 

Grrr...I've really lost momentum on these. Tried pushups today but had to scale (still at 73). Did a few negatives (up to 24/50).

 

OK....GOALS FOR WEEK 5:

1. Follow my running plan...it will be a big week!

2. Finish the cross-training goal: Wed: Yoga class, Thurs: Gym, Fri: Home yoga, Sat: Gym

3. Finish dining room stuff on Saturday.

4. Scaled pushups (as needed) every day. Chin-ups on Thurs and Sat....get up to 32 at least.

5. Calorie goal up to 12 (Tues, Wed, Thurs, and at least 1 weekend day).

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Xena said:

Sunday was my birthday.

Happy belated birthday! I know you mentioned it in my thread, because our birthdays are so close, but... But happy happy and glad Mother Nature was in on giving you a great day!

13 hours ago, Xena said:

Grrr...I've really lost momentum on these. Tried pushups today but had to scale (still at 73). Did a few negatives (up to 24/50).

Slow and steady wins the race. Your count has gone up during the challenge, and I bet next challenge you'll get there.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Happy Birthday! Racing is a great way to spend it.

You don’t seem to like push ups. Why not do more Yoga instead?

 

You are right about the pushups. And your suggestion is really good. I'm gonna finish out this goal somehow, but then yeah, I should focus on something that motivates me more.

 

Today was kinda brutal in a good way. I was slated to run 8 miles. Did it, but my quads are pretty darned sore from this weekend. I noticed them for sure, but it felt good to know that I could work through it.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay for feeling like a runner again! 

 

Congratulations on getting your house projects done. I need to do those too. Your example is inspiring.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Challenge wrap-up

 

I did great on running and housecleaning. Got in two 20-milers this challenge (the second one was today) and feel really ready for my marathon in 3 weeks. Yesterday I finished up the cleaning chores....there was a shocking amount of grime in the utility closet! I feel great about those things.

 

I didn't make my goals for calories or cross-training. Some of it was lack of tracking, some of it was throwing my back out for a week early on, some of it was being really busy with running high mileage. I would have liked to have made these goals, but I'm not too worried about it. I've gotten into a good routine of going to yoga class and getting to the gym. I'm pretty happy with where my weight it. About 10 lbs lighter than it was during the winter and spring.

 

I'm going to give up on the pushup and chin-up goals. Maybe I'll re-start them at some point. They've just dragged on too much and don't feel fun anymore.

 

Gotta spend a bit of time thinking about goals for next challenge that I actually feel motivated to achieve....

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2019 at 1:49 PM, Mistr said:

Yay for feeling like a runner again! 

 

Congratulations on getting your house projects done. I need to do those too. Your example is inspiring.

 

I think you do a lot more house projects that I do. It's embarrassing how dirty some parts of my house turned out to be. I've been pretty surprised.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.