• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Soul Searches While Trying to Lift Heavy Things

So I just passed 7 years of being on the health and fitness bandwagon. I've certainly made progress in that time (lost 50-60lbs, become fitter than I was, found kickboxing) I've jumped around a lot in methods, goals, ideas, plans, etc and haven't made as much progress as I would have liked. I've had a couple mini- and pre-epiphanies lately that will hopefully help me get into a consistent thing and actually make some progress.

I've been asking myself "What do I really want?" and here's my basic list of what I came up with:

• To look and be strong
    • Muscle-y arms, shoulders, and thighs
    • Be able to easily do pushups
    • Be able to do muscle ups
    • Better grip strength for hanging obstacles at OCR's
    • Stronger core (though I don't care about it looking strong since that's a lower body fat than I care to work for at this point)
  • To be free from pain
    • Fix and prevent plantar faciitis
    • Get some decent flexibility in my legs
    • Prevent shoulder mobility issues that seem to be in the making
  • To become leaner
    • Losing 20-25 more pounds of fat
    • Jiggle less
    • Be comfortable with my body

Goals:

Kickboxing - I really enjoy this. Keep going an average of 2.5 times a week. Ideally 3 times a week, but life happens and that's okay

Food - During the last challenge I started coming to terms with two things about sugar; a) It messes with my moods, making me feel grouchy, anxious, defeated, etc and b) I seem to lose weight fairly easily when I cut it out. It's too early in experimenting to know if both of these are really true or coincidental, but I'm sticking with the no sweets goal. I will keep tracking calories, but I will not have a specific goal of how many to eat for now

Lifting - Ah, here's my new big one. Last challenge I was getting antsy to lift again anyway, then I had a minor running injury which led me to (at least temporarily) give up on running. I don't hate it, but I don't love it enough to keep doing it if I keep ending up in pain. I keep adding it in as a goal since I love OCR's, but I've done a full Tough Mudder with very little running. My kickboxing class is HIIT and improving my cardio anyway and I don't care about finishing quickly, just finishing so for now I'm not worrying about running.
So I'm back to lifting. Looking back it's one of the things I wanted from the very beginning 7 years ago and when I started NF 3.5 years ago. But this time I'm going to put in a lot of effort figuring out a lifting plan that works for me and supports my "wants" above. The goal this challenge is simply to get to the gym twice a week and really concentrate on figuring out what that plan needs to be

Mobility - My inflexibility is hurting me. Literally. My tight calves are the culprit in my plantar faciitis, my upper legs/hips tightness is leading me towards IT band and hip flexor issues, and my shoulders are in pre-injury levels of crunchiness. I don't want to to hurt. It's also kinda embarrassing that I can't touch my toes or keep my knees straight doing laying core exercises that involve lifting your legs. So my goal is to stretch out at least 4 times a week

Obstacles:

Besides myself I don't really have any obstacles this challenge. No trips, no visitors (as far as we know now, FIL might come out but nothing is planned yet), no big days, nothing. Just a fun OCR the last weekend. I'm ready for a boring month, the last few have been far too exciting for me :)

• Like 5

11 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Following! 

Glad to have you as always!

2 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Following! Interested in seeing what you choose to do for leg mobility improvement. 

I have ongoing calf & IT band tightness and am always looking for new mobility awesomeness. 

I'll have to track down a video I posted last challenge that is basically my lower body stretching routine. It hasn't done a ton for my calves but it's great for my hip that keeps trying to give me issues

• Like 2

Week 0 Day 2

Day 1 was a rest day where I stayed away from sugar but didn't do any of my other goals

Day 2 I stayed away from sugar, made it to kickboxing, and while I haven't done normal mobility work yet I've been trying all afternoon/evening to stretch out my triceps/lats enough to not make pitiful noises when I lift my arms over my head. I don't know about anyone else, but for me triceps/lats are super tricky to stretch out because while it hurts like hell to put my arms over my head, once they're there the pain stops almost immediately and it doesn't even feel like a stretch. Until 5 minutes later when I try again and mewl all over again :( I tried foam rolling but couldn't find a good balance between "not enough pressure" and "literally crying".

And the world is out to get me today. At kickboxing they had us doing tricep pushups. Hubs told me that the gym at his work is closed this week, but didn't bother to read the email to find out why (this is important information, are we getting new equipment?). And I had to wash my hair tonight; I wash it every 3 days or so and I was due.

Maigs: I'm gonna go wash my hair and cry

Hubs: Sounds like fun

13 minutes ago, Maigs said:

2 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Following! Interested in seeing what you choose to do for leg mobility improvement. 

I have ongoing calf & IT band tightness and am always looking for new mobility awesomeness. 

I'll have to track down a video I posted last challenge that is basically my lower body stretching routine. It hasn't done a ton for my calves but it's great for my hip that keeps trying to give me issues

Here we go: The first one is my basic routine. The second one added some new stuff for me around minute 21 that really helps stretch my glutes (why has no one told me to flex my foot in that position before?!) and IT band

Spoiler

The position they get into at minute 4 is amazing for my trouble hip. I will also look over the shoulder at the leg that's pointed back (i.e. left leg tucked, right leg straight back, look over right shoulder)

Minutes 21-31 (note to self: I am not doing this long enough on my own....)

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Maigs said:

Here we go: The first one is my basic routine. The second one added some new stuff for me around minute 21 that really helps stretch my glutes (why has no one told me to flex my foot in that position before?!) and IT band

Hide contents

The position they get into at minute 4 is amazing for my trouble hip. I will also look over the shoulder at the leg that's pointed back (i.e. left leg tucked, right leg straight back, look over right shoulder)

Minutes 21-31 (note to self: I am not doing this long enough on my own....)

Thank you! I’ll definitely add those into my current mix and see how it goes

• Like 1

Week Zero Tuesday

"Rest" day. I took a walk at lunch, then ran errands and made a dent in my projects list in the evening. Somehow I'm in the weird zone where time is absolutely flying by but I don't feel like I'm getting behind on things but if I don't keep moving I will suddenly find myself so far behind I'll just shut down from to.much.to.do.itis (aka, anxiety). So I've been running errands at lunch and after work and hitting projects that aren't urgent but productive. I'm actually feeling really good even though it's overriding my challenge goals for now. I did stay away from sugar but didn't work out or stretch (other than a little bit more with my triceps/lats, they're much better now)

Week Zero Wednesday

More running errands over lunch. Then went to kickboxing after work. It was bizarre, I walked in around 5:30 and was literally the only non-trainer there (that's never happened before). Right after though, two more walked in, and then it was non-stop. There was probably 15 people in there by the time I left (it's a specialty gym with a small sqft footprint, 15 is the end of "busy" right before becoming "slammed"). No sugar again but so far no mobility and no promises that it will happen tonight. I'm gonna try to find another project to work on before bed since that's where my motivation is right now

• Like 1