• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

theflyingaccountant

Respawned: Building the Habit

Epic Quest: Get my private pilot's license and build up enough income to be able to fly regularly.

Epic Quest Part 1: Build up a savings of $20,000.

Epic Quest Part 2: Take care of my body so that, when the time comes, I can enjoy flying for a long time.

Main Habit: Meditate daily.

Level 1: Meditate for a minimum of 3 minutes each morning before work.

Why: Understanding what's going on in my mind is my main effort right now. Having a mindfulness habit is going to be key for my getting every other habits nailed down.

Secondary Habit 1. Control my cravings.

Level 1: Limit myself to a minimum of 2 drinks per day.

Why: I crave lots of things, but of all the things that I crave, alcohol is the one with the potential to do the most harm to my body and my life in general. It's also expensive as hell.

Secondary Habit 2. Do things with my body.

Level 1: Do one barbell squat with empty barbell per day after I get home from work.

Why: I need to move my body. Getting random cricks in my neck because I barely use my upper body at all is a problem.

Secondary Habit 3.

Level 1: Study for the CISA exam for at least 5 minutes each morning after I meditate.

Why: It ain't gonna be pleasant, but it needs doin'.

Bonus Habit 4.

Level 1: Update the budget spreadsheet for basic daily purchases every evening before bed.

Why: The more money I can free up, the more resources I can throw at improving my family's life.

Bonus Habit 5.

Level 1: Play piano for 5 minutes after doing my barbell squat.

Why: I've always wanted to learn the piano.

Bonus Habit 6.

Level 1: Study one duolingo italian lesson

Why: Going to Italy in January. Might not be a bad idea.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Def some kind of running / walking.

I like the sound of this!

3 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Last time I tried this, the "earning" a beer approach worked really well for me,

Sounds like it could be kind of fun in a weird kind of way (good weird), and yeah, if it works, go with it!

2 minutes ago, Xena said:

Sounds like it could be kind of fun in a weird kind of way (good weird), and yeah, if it works, go with it! 

Previously, I did it with pushups. I think 20 equalled one beer. From a caloric standpoint, it wasn't nearly enough to cover the amount of calories in a beer, though I definitely made it a point to knock out my 20 each time I had one. The problem is that it became way too easy for me to justify having more beers than I really needed to, and given my overall desire to "avoid unhealthy things," that just ain't gonna work this time.

I think doing it with running imposes a lot more restrictions since there's only so much running I can do given time constraints and whatnot, but it also allows me to still get my beer fix in which should come in handy for that mid October camping trip coming up.

Sure, those same constraints apply to push-ups, too, but the counting is easier. 2 miles feels far less daunting than, say 200 pushups. Still hard, but there's something psychologically different going on there.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Previously, I did it with pushups. I think 20 equalled one beer. From a caloric standpoint, it wasn't nearly enough to cover the amount of calories in a beer, though I definitely made it a point to knock out my 20 each time I had one. The problem is that it became way too easy for me to justify having more beers than I really needed to, and given my overall desire to "avoid unhealthy things," that just ain't gonna work this time.

Not a bad way to improve your push-up skills, though :D 

Welcome back and good luck with the challenge!

I can't help but follow just because of your name. I'm an accountant and my husband works on aircraft. Judging by the altimeter in your picture you don't mean flying by broom or sorcery :P

23 hours ago, Maigs said:

I can't help but follow just because of your name. I'm an accountant and my husband works on aircraft. Judging by the altimeter in your picture you don't mean flying by broom or sorcery :P

Nope. Good ol’ fashioned Bernoulli's principle is what I’m working with. 

Err...aspire to work with. That was what drove me to switch careers to accounting in the first place. Can’t afford flight training on a teacher’s salary. Can’t really afford it on an associate’s salary, either, but at least I’m moving in the right direction. Right now, I’m mainly doing cyber security stuff, so even accountant may be a little bit of a misnomer, but whatevs. 

Always happy to meet a fellow industry professional, though. You public or industry?

14 hours ago, Psykamaholik said:

Maybe I should be doing your pushup trade off for my challenge (except with whisky! haha)

Sounds like you have a solid achievable plan there though

We’ll see. The nice thing about the break week occurring now is that I have a chance to test my plan while traveling. I can already tell that the running thing may be hard just because my schedule is getting busy. I legit just stopped working about thirty minutes ago. Of course, I also took an hour nap earlier, plus I’ve been a little behind, so next week may be different. I’m definitely seeing some benefits from the meditation side, so it’s still worth it just for that. 

37 minutes ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Nope. Good ol’ fashioned Bernoulli's principle is what I’m working with. 

Err...aspire to work with. That was what drove me to switch careers to accounting in the first place. Can’t afford flight training on a teacher’s salary. Can’t really afford it on an associate’s salary, either, but at least I’m moving in the right direction. Right now, I’m mainly doing cyber security stuff, so even accountant may be a little bit of a misnomer, but whatevs. 

Always happy to meet a fellow industry professional, though. You public or industry?

Hub's got into aviation maintenance because he wanted to fly. Now that we can afford the lessons (and he's seen others get their pilot's license) he's decided it's actually not worth the expense and hassle to keep

I worked in governmental accounting for most of my career and switched to public 11 months ago. I'm 13 months out from being a CPA (not that I'm counting or anything :) ) What about you?

12 minutes ago, Maigs said:

I worked in governmental accounting for most of my career and switched to public 11 months ago. I'm 13 months out from being a CPA (not that I'm counting or anything :) ) What about you?

I taught high school English for ten years, and decided to switch careers after some deep soul searching. Got my Masters in Public Accounting in 2017 and passed all four parts just this year while working in IT Audit in Public. Problem is that my state also requires 24 credit hours of “general business courses.” So I spent 50k to take a masters program so I can sit for and nail all four parts of the CPA (and lose two years of my life studying for the damned things) only to be hung up because I can’t afford 24 credit hours worth of throwaway classes. So that’s fun. But I’m making the best of it and going after my CISA in the meantime.

Idea for a doable goal while travelling a lot: get your heart rate up at any possible moment.

Park farther away. Take the stairs (sometimes multiple at a time for a type of lunge idea). Walk faster than necessary.

Of course when not too restricted by time and/or having to look professional and in control (aka "not looking like you are out of breath") for lack of a better term. (Projecting my own experiences with office circumstances.)

Squat and stuff when reaching for things, make household chores challenging in a fun way etc.

Would be more effective if you manage to work in the running, but anything's better than something efficient that you don't do. :)

6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Would be more effective if you manage to work in the running, but anything's better than something efficient that you don't do. :)

That’s the basic plan: Get a little bit ahead of the game so that I don’t have to invoke your recommendations (excellent though they are). 

I def do the parking farther away approach, and it drives my wife bonkers. Bonus points: I never have to hunt for a parking space. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

I taught high school English for ten years, and decided to switch careers after some deep soul searching. Got my Masters in Public Accounting in 2017 and passed all four parts just this year while working in IT Audit in Public. Problem is that my state also requires 24 credit hours of “general business courses.” So I spent 50k to take a masters program so I can sit for and nail all four parts of the CPA (and lose two years of my life studying for the damned things) only to be hung up because I can’t afford 24 credit hours worth of throwaway classes. So that’s fun. But I’m making the best of it and going after my CISA in the meantime.

I got lucky and took basic accounting my first semester of college and immediately knew it was the right field for me so my undergrad and master's are both in accounting. I passed the exam in 2012 right as I got the governmental job that didn't count towards the experience requirement. Since we were still at the tail end of the recession and it was a good job I stayed there until last year when it stopped being a good job

Could you do the credits at a community college? That would make them really cheap.

There's another Ranger hanging ( @Cheetah) around who teaches at the aviation maintenance school Hubs went to

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maigs said:

Could you do the credits at a community college? That would make them really cheap.

Maybe. I can’t really tell from the info that they have available. I know that it has to be for an accredited college. I think probably a 4 year university, though one source says it can be from a 2-year university as long as it would be counted as a four year college. I’m not sure how eager I am to roll that dice, though. I reached out to someone at NASBA to run some options by them. If she responds, I may try that out as well. 

On 9/11/2019 at 11:36 AM, theflyingaccountant said:

We’ll see. The nice thing about the break week occurring now is that I have a chance to test my plan while traveling. I can already tell that the running thing may be hard just because my schedule is getting busy. I legit just stopped working about thirty minutes ago. Of course, I also took an hour nap earlier, plus I’ve been a little behind, so next week may be different. I’m definitely seeing some benefits from the meditation side, so it’s still worth it just for that. 

I completely understand the time thing, I work shift work with unreliable finish times. So basically I have to plan ahead to do things before work or they will never happen. Then of course not bail on those plans when the time comes! haha.

Even if you only manage 1 or 2 runs per week instead of your goal of 3, it's still better than none. Same with your pace, any pace is better than none.

10 hours ago, Maigs said:

Maybe. I can’t really tell from the info that they have available. I know that it has to be for an accredited college. I think probably a 4 year university, though one source says it can be from a 2-year university as long as it would be counted as a four year college. I’m not sure how eager I am to roll that dice, though. I reached out to someone at NASBA to run some options by them. If she responds, I may try that out as well. 

7 hours ago, Psykamaholik said:

I completely understand the time thing, I work shift work with unreliable finish times. So basically I have to plan ahead to do things before work or they will never happen. Then of course not bail on those plans when the time comes! haha.

Def. Thankfully, my schedule’s pretty flexible. As long as I plan ahead, I should be fine. 

Of course, that means I gotta plan ahead...

Brief pre-challenge review while I wait to board my plane:

Tested out the meditation habit which is the primary goal. Of the challenges I listed, this one is the most important to me. I’d even argue that the rest would be very difficult to maintain without that one. This week, that’s also been the most helpful challenge to complete. I’m using Tara Brach’s podcast and am already seeing remarkable improvement in my mental health and just peace of mind in general. I don’t know why I haven’t done this sooner!

I still need to hop on the treadmill this afternoon to just see how long a one mile jog at 5 mph takes. I mean, yeah, mathematically, it should take 12 minutes, but that doesn’t include the warm up and cool down. 

The beer thing is going to be tough, so I put forth a lot of effort this week into significantly reducing my consumption, so my objective now is to gradually ease into zero beers so I can start banking those extra miles for my camping trip in mid-October. 

The budget update challenge shouldn’t give me much trouble. I just need to keep up the rhythm from this week and not miss a day or two because “I don’t feel like it right now.”

The last one is the CISA study. Those ISACA videos are truly awful. Like offensively so. Especially because they purport to use “proven educational methods” to get you to spring for the $800 cost. I’m seriously considering sending them an email about this. 

Anyway, it’s going to be tough sitting through those for thirty minutes each day, but I may be able to mitigate that by 1) Politely requesting a refund for my firm (who paid for them) and 2) Seeing if I can’t get my firm to also pay for the question bank which, in my opinion, would be a far better resource. 

• Like 3

Ran some tests on the running thing. Decided to tweak down my running and study goals significantly. Keeping in mind that the purpose of this first challenge is to build the habit, I'm setting my run goal to 1 minute at a 5 mph pace as opposed to 1 mile at a 5 mph pace. Is it really easy? Sure. But that's the idea. Start easy and start small so I can build the habit and gradually reshape my identity into that of a person who exercises.

• Like 3

Been reading James Clear's Atomic Habits and decided that I wanted to add some habit triggers to each of these so that I can gradually start building some routine into my days. Otherwise, I might end up doing these challenges for the five weeks just to drop them after I'm done.

This way, they're a little bit more sticky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Been reading James Clear's Atomic Habits and decided that I wanted to add some habit triggers to each of these so that I can gradually start building some routine into my days.

Oh, I read and enjoyed that book, too. Not that I've successfully implemented the advice therein. Still working on it. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Oh, I read and enjoyed that book, too. Not that I've successfully implemented the advice therein. Still working on it. 

Did you catch the Nerdfitness shout-out he threw in the book? Don't remember where it's at, but it's in there.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, theflyingaccountant said:

Did you catch the Nerdfitness shout-out he threw in the book? Don't remember where it's at, but it's in there.

I don't remember that bit, but I did read the book because our NF Steve recommended it. 

29 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I don't remember that bit, but I did read the book because our NF Steve recommended it.  

I wonder if he got interviewed for the book.

I also wonder if James is somewhere lurking around these forums as a member. ;)