• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Likes Music With Rocks In

Challenge is under construction. But we'll start with:

"Susan says, don't get afraid, get angry."

Yes, it's a Hogfather quote. But it's Susan, so I think it counts. I'm not just gonna do the job that's in front of me. I'm gonna do the job I'm angriest at. A bit of rage is very in keeping with a Pratchett challenge.

• Like 5

The thing I'm angriest about right now is how little rest I've had and how hot and tired and thirsty I am. And that I have to stay vertical till my groceries arrive.

I've decided this is best resolved with a carafe of sangria at the bar near the train station. I'll drink my nice, ice cold muscle relaxant for the hour or so I need to wait for my groceries, and all will be well.

Alas, I can't go right there. I have to drop off my garden haul first. (Chard, a carrot, basil for basil chicken, basil flowers for tea, marigold seeds. And one more sprig of chocolate mint for the mint fountain. It's super happy in there.)

I have three whole currant tomatoes ripening. Later this week, I will feast. They're still flowering, I might get an early autumn harvest. I have two more melons stepping up. They're nearly tennis ball sized. I'm still annoyed I didn't get any of the first three. But I seem to have a trillion more preparing to come in.

• Like 3

Ugh, I'm so stiff. Once I stop moving, it's really hard to get going again. Once I'm in my apartment with my groceries, I swear, I'm putting on every bit of compression clothing I own and going to bed.

28 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope you get some good, restorative rest.

I'm really going to. My hours are basically up to me for a while now, and there are going to be a lot of half days to compensate. My whole team will be basically doing the same.

52 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

I've decided this is best resolved with a carafe of sangria at the bar near the train station. I'll drink my nice, ice cold muscle relaxant for the hour or so I need to wait for my groceries, and all will be well.

I don't like to brag, guys, but I have the best ideas. More people should do what I say.

A carafe of sangria, a carafe of ice water, and guacamole to go with the free chips, salsa, and bean dip, and an hour to consume them in a nice leather arm chair, with wifi. While watching the internet for the arrival of my groceries. This is a great life choice.

• Like 4

Guys. I have groceries. And a blender. I just made the most amazing frozen raspberry smoothie that fit my macros. And now I'm going immediately to bed. Living my best life.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I'm really going to. My hours are basically up to me for a while now, and there are going to be a lot of half days to compensate. My whole team will be basically doing the same.

I don't like to brag, guys, but I have the best ideas. More people should do what I say.

A carafe of sangria, a carafe of ice water, and guacamole to go with the free chips, salsa, and bean dip, and an hour to consume them in a nice leather arm chair, with wifi. While watching the internet for the arrival of my groceries. This is a great life choice.

Image result for trump the best ideas  gif

8 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

quote-sometimes-it-is-better-to-light-a-

Image result for elon musk flamethrower gif

• Like 1

Week 0 Day 1

Yesterday I got mad at one of my chores and did part of it. Not tons, because when I got home, I basically fell asleep on the sofa while waiting for dinner to cook.

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 2

I took today off to run errands. That accidentally became a 6-hour nap.

Now I'm gonna make a meal and go get angry at something that needs fixing. I'm spoiled for choice, to be honest, so it's hard to pick one thing to get really angry at.

• Like 3

(Also, I'm having this strange urge to marathon all the Harry Potter movies. Maybe they'd be entertaining while I get mad at stuff that needs doing...)

• Like 3

I'm not really angry at my chores yet. But I have cooked all the things. I blanched carrot greens for pesto. I baked chicken thighs. And I made a Thai peanut curry that I hope will be good.

Maybe I will get angry that my robot hasn't vacuumed for me lately, and clear the stuff I dumped on the floor this week.

• Like 2

I'm ready for another 6-hour nap, which I definitely need, and that makes me angry. I'm gonna get chores done if it kills me.

So angry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

(Also, I'm having this strange urge to marathon all the Harry Potter movies. Maybe they'd be entertaining while I get mad at stuff that needs doing...)

Ghostlet and I just did that, doing pretty much a movie per night for a week.  For some reason we left #2 for last.

18 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I took today off to run errands. That accidentally became a 6-hour nap.

Now I'm gonna make a meal and go get angry at something that needs fixing. I'm spoiled for choice, to be honest, so it's hard to pick one thing to get really angry at.

I'm glad you have finally gotten some time off and are doing important things. Especially napping.

Yay for cooking all the food!

Week 0 Day 3

I did the job I was most angry at, or so least half of it, and left my robot to vacuum while I went out to drink iced coffee and plan some autumn seed starting.

Today's music with rocks in is Joan Jett and the Blackhearts' "I Love Rock and Roll" album.

• Like 4

I lied. Much as I love Joan Jett, she can get kinda boring to actually listen to, and life is too short.

I'll tell you who's not boring, though. The X-Ray Spex.

And in keeping with this challenge, Public Image LTD.

Anger is an energy, indeed. Practically the Pratchett theme song.

The good news: Last night I planted about half my fall seedlings in totally recycled biodegradable pots and seedling trays. I did not plant more, because I ran out of cardboard tubes to make pots out of, even though I had a little more space in the rotisserie chicken mini greenhouses. Ahem. (ECOLOGICALLY RESPONSIBLE.)

The bad news: I bought more seeds. No, wait, I can explain! The 99-cent heirloom seed site was having their end of season half-off sale! And I can't say no to 50-cent heirloom seed packets. Half are things I wanted, half are gifts. One or two or four are, strictly speaking, unnecessary and not well suited to my current growing space, but getting seed-banked, because, well, 50 cents.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Excellent job on being ecologically responsible and taking advantage of economic opportunities. You are planning ahead. ;) 

I had no idea that Johnny Rotten was so cute when he was young. Or the Joan Jett had a song "You're a nag". The things you learn on NF.

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

You are planning ahead. ;)  

So responsible. ;) I really need to reconcile myself to the fact that I cannot grow 97 different things in 32 square feet every season, because I have a truly frightening seed catalog now. My whole gardening strategy seems to be "just cram the little green bastards in there on top of each other, nature abhors a vacuum". (In my defense, I never have weeds in the areas I overplant, just the ones where stuff didn't take. And biodiversity is good, right? But I am for sure the garden's biggest offender in overplanting my bed by far.)

That said, it keeps me in chard and beets and kale and thyme and garlic and chervil (in season), and the odd carrot and onion and pea-and-spinach harvest (in season) and a bit of yarrow, and it keeps the squirrels in delicious melons and the butterfly larva in fennel. Plus I could seriously choke a horse on marigolds and alyssum, and the California poppies did super well in spring. So it is actually a fairly productive bed, even if the bits of it that I get to eat are getting a little repetitive, and even if only half of what I put in really takes off. Other people grow two or three very impressive things in tidy separated rows, while I planted for a little of a variety of things to cover basic cooking staples. It's really pretty densely packed in the areas that thrived, and pretty lush in places, even if it's much less impressive looking than All The Tomatoes or All The Okra or whatever.

Actually, the density might have a lot to do with what thrives. Some of it's accident, for sure, like the chard monster. But most of my healthiest stuff is quite literally "45 plants where they recommend 8" and things surrounded by dense ground covers of herbs and flowers - I think it regulates the microclimates around the roots better. I have a lot more faith that something will do well if I plant it into something else than if I give it its own space. So I think that's my strategy from now on. Go super, super dense, and try never to have bare ground.

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

I had no idea that Johnny Rotten was so cute when he was young.

Young Johnny Rotten had a certain quirky cynical charm, for sure. Sadly, older Johnny Rotten seems a bit too aware that he has to be a simulacrum of Johnny Rotten for the punters.

• Like 3

Week 0 Day 4

Today I'm mostly mad at thirst and hunger. Look, it happens. So I added some electrolytes to my lemon juice. I think I measured wrong, cuz it tastes salty, but I am less thirsty. Still hungry, though. I have some chard and beets and basil from the garden, I think I'll make a peanut sauce.

• Like 3