3. Gaillardia (flower)
  4. Gomphrena, mixed (flower)
  5. Hollyhock, Indian spring (flower)
  6. Marigolds, ultra dwarf mix (flower)
  7. Phlox, cherry caramel (flower)
  8. Something wild and yellow (flower)
  9. Poppy, Alpine mix (flower)
  10. Poppy, California (flower)
  11. Portulaca, double flowered moss  rose (flower/succulent)
  12. Sweet alyssum, tall (flower)
  13. Sweet pea, mixed (flower)
  14. Wallflower, Siberian (flower)
  15. Amaranth, red garnet (grain/flower)
  16. Chia, black (grain/flower)
  17. Sesame, black (grain/flower)
  18. Bean, Oriental yard long (summer veg)
  19. Cucumber, dar (summer veg)
  20. Cucumber, honorary, Mexican sour gherkin (summer veg)
  21. Eggplant, ping Tung (summer veg)
  22. Eggplant, something purple (summer veg)
  23. Eggplant, something white (summer veg)
  24. Gourd, loofah (summer... veg? summer housewares?)
  25. Ground cherry (summer veg)
  26. Melon, madhur Ros (summer veg)
  27. Melon, sakata sweet (summer veg)
  28. Melon, Tigger (summer veg)
  29. Pepper, hot, ancho (summer veg)
  30. Pepper, hot, probably jalapeno (summer veg)
  31. Pepper, hot, Ring of fire (summer veg)
  32. Pepper, hot, Santa Fe (summer veg)
  33. Pepper, sweet, lipstick (summer veg)
  34. Pumpkin, mosquee de Provence (summer/fall veg)
  35. Squash, butternut (summer/fall veg)
  36. Squash, Desi (summer veg)
  37. Squash, some Italian striped zucchini (summer veg)
  38. Tomato, currant (summer veg)
  39. Tomato, minibel, dwarf for hydroponic (summer veg)
  40. Tomato, purple Russian (summer veg)
  41. Watermelon, Beni kodima (summer veg)
  42. Beans, purple teepee (spring/fall in this climate)
  43. Broccoli, calabrese sprouting (spring/fall veg)
  44. Broccoli rabe (spring/fall veg)
  45. Fennel, Florence (spring/fall veg)
  46. Pea, sugar Ann (spring/fall veg)
  47. Pea, sugar snap (spring/fall)
  48. Beet, chioggia (root)
  49. Carrot, Amarillo (root veg)
  50. Carrot, muscade (root veg)
  51. Parsley, Hamburg rooted (root veg and herb)
  52. Radish, something quick and red and European (root veg)
  53. Radish, winter, China rose (root veg)
  54. Radish, winter, Shawo fruit (root veg)
  55. Rutabaga, navone (root veg)
  56. Turnip, boule d'or (root veg
  57. Turnip, tokinashi (root veg)
  58. Turnip, shogoin (root veg)
  59. Garlic, something purple (allium)
  60. Garlic, something else vaguely purple (allium)
  61. Onions, heshiko green bunching (allium)
  62. Onion, Texas early Grano (allium)
  63. Shallot, zebrune, just got used up but might be replaced one day (allium)
  64. Arugula (leafy green)
  65. Bok choy (leafy green)
  66. Chard, Verde de taglio (leafy green)
  67. Dandelion, French (leafy green)
  68. Kale, lacinato/cavolo nero (leafy green)
  69. Komatsuma (leafy green)
  70. Mixed salad greens/lettuces (leafy green)
  71. Mixed Thai stirfry greens (leafy green)
  72. Mizuna, Beni houshi (leafy green)
  73. Sorrel (leafy green)
  74. Spinach, viroflay (leafy green)
  75. Watercress (leafy green)
  76. Bee balm, lemon (herb)
  77. Caraway (herb)
  78. Chamomile, German (herb)
  79. Chervil (herb)
  80. Cilantro (herb)
  81. Cilantro, dwarf lemon (herb)
  82. Hyssop, though I might give it away with the pollinator garden packets (herb)
  83. Lemon balm (herb)
  84. Lemongrass (herb)
  85. Soapwort, rock (herb)
  86. Stevia (herb)
  87. Thyme, wild (herb)
  88. Yarrow (herb and flower)
  89. Artichoke (bush/tree)
  90. Asparagus (bush/tree)
  91. Goji, scarlet (bush/tree)
  92. Pomegranate, orange master (bush/tree)
  93. Rhubarb, Glaskins (bush/tree)
  94. Strawberry, red Alpine (bush/tree)
  95. Strawberry, yellow Alpine (bush/tree)
  96. Strawberry, temptation (bush/tree)

Plus maybe I'll skim off a few honeywort and salvia from my Christmas recipient. And then the things I propagated by cutting.

So 14-15 flowers, 5-ish alliums, 23 annual summer vegetables and 3 warm weather grains, 5 annual cool weather vegetables plus 10 mostly cool weather roots and 11 mostly cool weather leafy greens, 12-14 herbs and herbal tea plants, and 8 perennial bushy things that aren't really obviously any of the others.

A couple of those are only for indoor use, and a couple I simply don't have room for, because they're large, slow, and perennial. With a pretty good split between hot and cool weather, that feels like a reasonable (well, reasonable by my standards) 45 varieties per 32 square feet, but the flowers, alliums, and roots span a lot of seasons, so it's not as reasonable as it looks. It's more like 65 things per season. (I'm in the process of moving about half of the leafy greens and herbs to hydroponic, though, which should help. And I'm considering a second home space farm for extra strawberries and flowers, which won't help much.)

I'm tempted to get an orange agastache, but that just seems like too much. Know your limits, I always say.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Have you considered adding a second garden plot next year? :devilish:

You are not helping.

Fortunately, I don't think they'd give me one. (Not sure, though, because a number of gardeners have full rather than half plots. But they're the ones with real seniority.) Unfortunately, I think I can basically have all the containers I can lay my hands on.

Honestly, the way I garden, it'd probably be no extra work to have twice the space. I barely do anything but harvest, and maybe water once a week if it hasn't rained. Once in a while I spend an hour doing some actual maintenance.  I plant maybe once or twice a season, and I'm reducing my seasons to two, since it makes no sense for me to treat spring and fall separately. I mostly just "inspect" for fun and then pick the obligatory chard on my way to the bus stop, and that's offset by cutting my grocery shopping time in half. It's sort of a scruffy garden, but it's healthy enough. I could easily be lazy with twice the space. I'm just one level above randomly throwing seeds onto dirt, half the time.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

You are not helping.

:D:PB)

2 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Fortunately, I don't think they'd give me one. (Not sure, though, because a number of gardeners have full rather than half plots. But they're the ones with real seniority.) Unfortunately, I think I can basically have all the containers I can lay my hands on.

Honestly, the way I garden, it'd probably be no extra work to have twice the space. I barely do anything but harvest, and maybe water once a week if it hasn't rained. Once in a while I spend an hour doing some actual maintenance.  I plant maybe once or twice a season, and I'm reducing my seasons to two, since it makes no sense for me to treat spring and fall separately. I mostly just "inspect" for fun and then pick the obligatory chard on my way to the bus stop, and that's offset by cutting my grocery shopping time in half. It's sort of a scruffy garden, but it's healthy enough. I could easily be lazy with twice the space. I'm just one level above randomly throwing seeds onto dirt, half the time.

When I had space in a community garden, there were always a few extra plots where someone signed up for it, then abandoned it partway through the season. You might be able to get in on one of those for some of your annuals. It would be better to have a second plot adjacent to your current one, but even just having some more outdoor space for starting seeds would be helpful.  (see, helping)

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Week 0 Day 4

Today I'm mostly mad at thirst and hunger. Look, it happens. So I added some electrolytes to my lemon juice. I think I measured wrong, cuz it tastes salty, but I am less thirsty. Still hungry, though. I have some chard and beets and basil from the garden, I think I'll make a peanut sauce.

Hi!  I was lurking. Then I read this. I only know you have to add electrolytes etc. when you get sick & throw your water out along with the rest of your insides. But they are also good to take just so?

I can probably google this. But I will post this q anyways until I have the chance. :) Ty for sharing.

6 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Hi!  I was lurking. Then I read this. I only know you have to add electrolytes etc. when you get sick & throw your water out along with the rest of your insides. But they are also good to take just so?

I can probably google this. But I will post this q anyways until I have the chance. :) Ty for sharing.

They're generally not worth bothering with. The thing they're good for is when your body's salt and mineral levels are too low. (Electrolytes are those salts and minerals, so it's directly replacing something that's low.) This could be because you're sick, because you're sweating a lot (from heat, illness, or exercise), even overhydration without similar increased salt intake. In this case, it was because I was drinking water in hot weather and never feeling hydrated from it. I also eat a diet that is commonly considered to leave people in greater need of electrolytes. So I figured I'd been sweating too much and needed to replace some salts.

In general, if salty sports drinks taste good rather than salty, you probably need it. (Not totally true, people can be addicted to the Gatorade. But I find it tastes very different based on how much my body needs the extra salt.)

• Like 1

So apparently being awake for eight hours in a row this week on multiple days was simply exhausting. Two hours appears to be my limit before I can't take any more. This was gonna be a productive day, but instead I'm going back to bed. Jobs later.

• Like 2

On 9/13/2019 at 12:21 PM, Mistr said:

It would be better to have a second plot adjacent to your current one, but even just having some more outdoor space for starting seeds would be helpful.  (see, helping) 

NOT HELPING.

(Half my fall seeds have sprouted. The bad news is, I can't really remember what I planted where. Oops.)