• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Likes Music With Rocks In

Falling asleep while trying to meditate is a sign.

I favor all the floor poses for days when one is too tired. You can just relax into the stretch and not have to do much. Plus being on the ground means you won't fall far if you go to sleep.

Good for you getting your least favorite jobs done.

7 minutes ago, Mistr said:

Falling asleep while trying to meditate is a sign. 

I tend to think so. I've also been eating All The Things, which is not like me, either. I usually fall far under calories. Pretty sure I'm going way over yesterday and today, and certainly would be if I had enough time for the number of second breakfasts and fourth lunches I would like. Apparently I'm ravenous and exhausted, so my energy needs must be unusually high right now.

• Like 3

Week 3 Day 1

Theme: Snacks and Drugs and Rock-'n'-roll

Snacks

• Make soup
  • Make ricotta
  • Make pasta sauce and meatballs
  • Plant some garden stuff DONE
  • Put away garden haul
  • Clean home space farm
  • Replant home space farm (maybe)
  • Hydrate DONE
  • Eat enough DONE
  • Make dinner DONE

Drugs

• Remember to take my meds DONE

Rock-'n'-roll

• I dunno, rock stars meditate, right? DONE
  • And do yoga...
  • And go to bed early. Rock stars definitely go to bed early. PROBABLY

I realized this weekend that, what with work getting crazy, I've actually been doing really, really bad on taking my meds. Like less than half the time. So doing drugs is now part of my challenge.

I really want to replant the space farm immediately, but I'm having, I dunno, some spider mite issues or something. Not totally sure. So I don't know if an immediate restart is wise.

Getting to bed continues to be a thing. I think I have deadline pressure at the end of the day, or something. The amount of tension I've got in my body when I try to sleep is usually enormous, and I make bad sleep decisions until I realize that. I swear, I need, like, an aikido sleep coach to train me to chill out and no-mind and randori that sleep bullshit. It's just that people get so weird when you say you need someone to sleep with and teach you what to do in bed. I JUST WANT SOME GOOD SLEEP HABITS, OKAY. No one understands my needs, the world is terrible. (This would not be a thing if the Avatarverse were real; six people to an air bison probably includes, on average, a sleep sensei. Although it might be the air bison half the time.)

• Like 4

Okay. I know how to build a thing that monitors humidity and increases it when it's too low, and does a nightly spider mite spray. Now I just need parts...

• Like 2

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Week 3 Day 1

Theme: Snacks and Drugs and Rock-'n'-roll

I love this theme. :love_heart:

17 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Getting to bed continues to be a thing. I think I have deadline pressure at the end of the day, or something. The amount of tension I've got in my body when I try to sleep is usually enormous, and I make bad sleep decisions until I realize that. I swear, I need, like, an aikido sleep coach to train me to chill out and no-mind and randori that sleep bullshit. It's just that people get so weird when you say you need someone to sleep with and teach you what to do in bed. I JUST WANT SOME GOOD SLEEP HABITS, OKAY. No one understands my needs, the world is terrible. (This would not be a thing if the Avatarverse were real; six people to an air bison probably includes, on average, a sleep sensei. Although it might be the air bison half the time.)

Having someone small and furry sit on your chest and purr at you is a great way to calm down and go to sleep. It is hard to worry about all the things while petting a cat. The cat makes it clear that petting them is the most important and fulfilling thing in the universe, and you should keep doing that.  I miss her terribly. My current cats don't do this

It sounds like some sort of before-bed yoga would be helpful. @Treva mentioned doing something like that, maybe she could send you a link? I think it was last spring sometime.

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

Having someone small and furry sit on your chest and purr at you is a great way to calm down and go to sleep. It is hard to worry about all the things while petting a cat. The cat makes it clear that petting them is the most important and fulfilling thing in the universe, and you should keep doing that.  I miss her terribly. My current cats don't do this

I miss having cats, too. The purring alone is restful.

6 hours ago, Mistr said:

It sounds like some sort of before-bed yoga would be helpful. @Treva mentioned doing something like that, maybe she could send you a link? I think it was last spring sometime. 

I've actually been doing yoga before bed most nights. Not very helpful.

The one time it might have been, it was actually a very difficult session I couldn't finish. My option might just be doing really hard workouts right before bed. I guess I could, but it's not where I was trying to go this challenge. It also feels like it might be fixing the wrong problem - I'm not sure the physical tension is the cause, I think it's the effect. (Which might not matter, I guess, but I've definitely made Bad Sleep Choices while so exhausted I was falling asleep where I sat. Tiredness or relaxation is not a reliable "go to bed" trigger for me if my brain doesn't think it's time.)

• Like 1

Also, squirrels have graduated to stealing my melons long before they're ripe. Those furry little fuckers are in for it now. 13 ounces of hot red pepper flakes, all coming their way.

The mystery melon I took off the volunteer vine in the common area seems to be at least half cucumber. I'm going to pickle it. It's gonna make a huge amount of pickles.

• Like 5

I've been keeping up with this week's theme well enough. Less so with the yoga, but I have developed a taste for it. I've been having some very distracted and listless days this week, but I think I've started to pull myself out of it.

Today I think it's officially a bit autumn, which is just in time, because I put pumpkin spice coffee on my shopping order for this week. It is pumpkin month.

• Like 3

Yesterday was the first day I felt the autumn "sting" since the temperatures have started lowering and rain has been more frequent. Time for more layers of clothing (=lengthier morning prep), but also for cosy things like pumpkin spice coffee. Awesome. Where do you get it? :)

2 hours ago, analoggirl said:

Yesterday was the first day I felt the autumn "sting" since the temperatures have started lowering and rain has been more frequent. Time for more layers of clothing (=lengthier morning prep), but also for cosy things like pumpkin spice coffee. Awesome. Where do you get it? :)

We're not quite ready for layers here (in my opinion, anyway), but it's cooling off enough to open the windows, I think.

Nothing fancy on the coffee, just the local store brand.

• Like 1

This is a red-letter day. My sleep deficit is under six hours, which is probably a record. To celebrate, I'm going to take a nap.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I hope the world is ready for you being rested.

I'm certainly not ready for it. Good lord. What a concept. It's never been true.

My sleep deficit is now just under four hours, and five of the past seven units my tracker uses as days have had at least eight hours of sleep.

Today's goals:

1. Do the things.

2. Write down the problem points in why the things weren't done.

3. Take time to bask in having done the things.

• Like 2

Okay. Results:

1. Did enough of the things to call the things done.

2. Wrote things down. Also wrote a script so my computer will coach me through a list of tasks, so I don't have to remember them or set timers. I just make a list of short tasks, run the script, and do what I'm told. It pushes me through the list fast, five minutes per task, so I don't linger or have time to get too distracted.

3. I will bask later, though I will take a slightly longer break now to appreciate having got a lot done. (And edit my code to cover a wider variety of custom circumstances.)

Aside from stupid things on my list, I put a batch of GF Irish soda bread in the bread machine and made two jars of mystery-cucumber-or-melon pickles. I might also make a cake later. I need better snacks at work. I haven't really had time to do real cooking lately, so this is kind of leveling up. (Getting a recipe in the bread machine, if I have the recipe handy, is slightly more than five minutes, but not much more. This is good to know.)

I've also decided to make an effort to switch back to audiobooks. I've been doing mostly ebooks lately. Long works of fiction in audio form work really well for my getting-things-done plans.

• Like 1

This Irish soda bread recipe is not bad. I think they got the proportion of coconut flour to liquid a bit wrong, though. Not wrong enough to not work, just not optimal. I'll have to try to find my original recipe, or sort of ease this ratio smaller next time.

Right. After dinner, when the bread machine cools down, cake. Chocolate cake. And we'll see if I've successfully managed a LCHF orange buttercream. (I think maybe I accidentally blenderized twice as much sweetener as I needed. Oops.)

• Like 2

More results: My new code ran on schedule to get me into bed at a reasonable hour with the things cleaned, the morning prepped, and the yoga done. And, tonight at least, I listened to it and did the things. Although I forgot to make cake. Oh well, there's a reason there's a tomorrow. It is for making cake.

It's amazing how much more flexible you are when you're sleeping and eating enough. I mean, yes, I did do a bit of yoga last week, which helped, but it's been a while, and having the time and energy to repair your muscles really seems to help.

• Like 3

!!! I really like the concept of having a script like that. Or like a futuristc voice telling me "it is time for xyz". But I do not want to give all my data to google or so, including when my lights go on and off etc. :p 

Good to hear your method worked!

Week 4 Day 1

Snacks:

• Hydrated well this morning. One pint of water, one pint of smoothie. (Blueberry and kale this time, because that's the frozen mix they had. On the one hand, I'm now one of those people who drinks berry and kale smoothies, and I don't know how I feel about that. On the other, it tastes just like a berry smoothie, and fits my macros better.)
  • Packed a breakfast and lunch for work, including Irish soda bread and Irish cheddar (which is amazing).

Drugs:

• Took my meds
  • Took my vitamins last night

Rock-'n'-roll:

• Did yoga last night
  • Meditated last night
  • Did yoga this morning
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, analoggirl said:

!!! I really like the concept of having a script like that. Or like a futuristc voice telling me "it is time for xyz". But I do not want to give all my data to google or so, including when my lights go on and off etc. :p

Same. That's why I wrote mine in Python, using a text file of tasks. 

It can be super annoying if, for some reason, it's not meshing well with what's going on and you just want it to shut up. I've tried a few versions of this in the past, so I don't imagine it'll always work for me. But the less thinking I have to do at low brain parts of the day, the better. I can do a lot of procrastinating based on not totally remembering what needs to get done and simultaneously wondering what I'm going to run out of time for and need to prioritize or drop.

Part of the difference seems to be a really well broken-down checklist of things. If I give myself ten minutes to get ready for bed, but I have to remember or keep a separate list of what that means, half of it doesn't happen. Same with having a good list but needing to set my own timer. This does both, so I can just relax and trust that I'll at least hit the high points. (In practice, I'm fitting an extra job or two in the cracks, and I got a train twenty minutes before the one I'd planned this morning. But the first time is always easier, because you're trying to make it work. The tenth time is a better test.)

1 hour ago, analoggirl said:

Alright, I feel like a stalker now. Hope my compulsive reacting etc. does not seem as too much :P Enjoy seeing your wins & how you approach obstacles.

Using the site as it's designed to be used is hardly stalking. :)

• Like 1

I am bizarrely exhausted, so tonight's first order of business is to drink some nutrients and take a nap.

• Like 2