• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom Likes Music With Rocks In

Week 4 Day 2

Snacks:

• Hydrated fairly well this morning. Smoothie, water, and a travel mug of coffee.
  • Packed a breakfast and lunch for work.
  • Refilling the work snack stash.

Drugs:

• Took my meds

Rock-'n'-roll:

• Meditated last night
  • Did yoga this morning

Skipped yoga last night due to having some unhappy tendons and other television priorities. Mostly the latter, but a rest night was a good plan; that ankle wasn't super happy this morning, either.

I got angry at a job this morning and did a thing.

I'm not totally sure, but I think some of my clothes have been fitting a bit looser the past week or so. I should do some measuring this weekend.

Tonight's goals:

• Do two things that aren't on the basic maintenance list
  • Watch a lot of TV, cuz downtime
  • Work on a fun project
  • Write code for a post-work routine
  • Like 3

I'm counting "stayed late to do an urgent thing for my boss" as one of my things. It doesn't move my needle at home, but it should count for evening work.

I have four other small tasks, though. Two of which are super annoying to me, but need to get done.

And I am not tired tonight. Which is excellent. Though I could generally use an extra nap most days.

• Like 1

Week 4 Day 3

Basically holding my own on stuff. But exhausted. Really tired. No time for a nap tonight, so I'll basically amnesty all the things if I go to bed early.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Week 4 Day 3

Basically holding my own on stuff. But exhausted. Really tired. No time for a nap tonight, so I'll basically amnesty all the things if I go to bed early.

Sleep is a much bigger issue than other stuff. I support amnesty.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sleep is a much bigger issue than other stuff. I support amnesty.

I'm considering you an expert in sleep deprivation right now, so I'm glad expert opinion agrees with me.

• Haha 1

Week 4 Day 4

Today's job I'm angry at: clearing at the fridge and freezer IN PROGRESS

Snacks: 

• Top up the work snack stash DONE
  • Plan work lunches DONE
  • Buy groceries DONE
  • Marinate some jerk chicken DONE
  • Make dinner 1 DONE
  • Make dinner 2

Drugs:

• Take my meds  DONE

Rock-'n'-roll:

• Meditate
  • Yoga SKIPPED FOR CLEANING
  • Watch a lot of A-Team IN PROGRESS

My sleep deficit is around five hours. This isn't too bad, but took some doing. I seem to start noticing around 7-8 hours.

• Like 2

I need a November challenge. I'm not sure whether or not I'm in a Discworld mood. Maybe I am. Maybe it's time for some more Airbender. But also I want something autumnal before Hogswatch. Any suggestions?

Also, I think next week I'll be going back to martial arts. I've been pretty good at keeping up with yoga at least once a day, and my muscles are loosening up. Still a ways to go, cuz my hips are pretty tight, but I'm getting better.

I'm wondering what I should add in during the next week before I go back, as kind of a slow and steady foundation rebuilding. Some more walking, maybe? The weather is nicer walking weather, and that has the benefit of easily fitting into the middle of my work day. It's not much, but it wouldn't hurt.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

I need a November challenge. I'm not sure whether or not I'm in a Discworld mood. Maybe I am. Maybe it's time for some more Airbender. But also I want something autumnal before Hogswatch. Any suggestions?

How about a Hogwart's Pumpkin-but-not-Spice challenge?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

How about a Hogwart's Pumpkin-but-not-Spice challenge?

Tempting, if I can find something that's not quidditch to do... quidditch is out.

Also, my mushrooms are almost full grown after less than a week. I thought you would want an update.

Annoyingly, there's a nest of baby probably-rabbits in my perennials. That's cute, but a little too nature-friendly during autumn seedling time. They should be big enough to move out soon, I hope they move on. (All my seedlings got an anti-squirrel covering of crushed red pepper, which should also work on bunnies. Fingers crossed.)

I was so distracted, I forgot to plant things today. I'll have to get lots of transplants ready. I have lots of seedlings right now, but it might not last.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Pomona Sprout/Neville Longbottom 

In the fanfiction world, this particular syntax denotes the story's main romantic pairing, so my double-take was immediate.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

why not an Herbology challenge? 

Oh, interesting. I could do one challenge goal for each head of house. Potions is clear, as is herbology, transfiguration maaaaaaybe, but charms?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

In the fanfiction world, this particular syntax denotes the story's main romantic pairing, so my double-take was immediate.

I can see how that would be confusing.

1 hour ago, sarakingdom said:

Oh, interesting. I could do one challenge goal for each head of house. Potions is clear, as is herbology, transfiguration maaaaaaybe, but charms?

I know in the books Sleep is often accomplished by potions, but why not have a charm to induce sleep?

• Like 2

Week 5 Day 1

This has not been an amazing weekend, challenge-wise, though I did, with great effort, keep up with my sleep. Less than five hours deficit. It took most of my weekend, though, because I was sleeping badly.

Snacks: 

• Top up the work snack stash DONE
  • Pack work lunch DONE
  • Make dinner

Drugs:

• Take my meds  DONE

Rock-'n'-roll:

•  Meditate 
  • Yoga

Get angry at jobs:

• Get angry at doing the dishes
  • Get angry at taking out the trash
  • Get angry at the spider mites in my pot plants
  • Get angry at my space farm
  • Get angry at the electronics project for my space farm
  • Plan a detailed schedule of how I'm going to get angry at all that bullshit
  • Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 11:15 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You are very much channeling Pomona Sprout/Neville Longbottom right now, why not an Herbology challenge?

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:24 PM, sarakingdom said:

I ship it

And frankly a Hogwarts Herbology challenge for the fall seems right up your alley, FWIW.

• Like 3

Coat_of_arms_of_Vetinari.png

"The Patrician was a pragmatist.  He’d never tried to fix things that worked. Things that didn’t work, however, got broken."

--Terry Pratchett, Soul Music

"Walk with me, Miss Kingdom," said the Patrician.

Sara looked at the large clerks lurking in the hallway, and decided this an excellent time for a walk.

"What a splendid evening for a stroll," continued Vetinari. 

"Yes, sir," said Sara.

It was in fact a rather nice night. The stars, the warm breeze, the wafting smoke of the fire on the Ankh. (The river Ankh, though nominally composed of, for the sake of argument let's call it water, had a habit of catching fire in warmer seasons.) The gardens were rather nice, too, if one overlooked the fact that they'd been designed by the influential Ankh-Morpork landscape gardener, Bloody Stupid Johnson. Or if one, like the Patrician, found them somewhat reassuring on the subject of, for instance, the average person's common sense and intelligence. (Not optimistic on the subject, merely reassuring.)

They walked in what, again for the sake of argument, let's call a companionable silence. (While nominally composed of companionability, it was hard to overlook the fact that one person present was the Patrician and the other was decidedly not.)

"One mustn't neglect one's daily constitutional, must one, Miss Kingdom?" he said. "Why, that would be like neglecting a good night's rest."

"Er, as you say, sir," said Sara, who did not consider herself an expert on the subject.

"I'm so pleased you agree." The Patrician clasped his hands behind his back. "We shall certainly continue this discussion in the near future."

Sara made a choked sound that, for the sake of argument, let's call a "yes, sir".

"Good night, Miss Kingdom," said Vetinari. "You do not wish to be late to bed, I am sure."

Sara ran.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Vetinari drummed his fingers on a file folder that sat before him. One of the pages splayed out from inside contained the words "--hool of Witchcraft and Wizardry".

How does he even know these things, thought Sara. I know he's ridiculously well-informed, but this is beyond ridiculous.

"My dear lady," he said finally, "the problem is this. If I wished you to learn anything remotely sensible or responsible, and indeed I do, the very last thing I would do is allow you to be educated by wizards."

"I don't think they're that sort of... er..." Sara trailed off as she tried to think of sufficiently convincing data points.

"On the other hand," Vetinari continued as if he hadn't heard her, "witches might be another matter entirely." He steepled his hands, and considered for a moment. "Given the right witch, and I dare say there are far more of them about. I shall give this matter some thought. You are dismissed, Miss Kingdom. Send Drumknott in when you leave."

One didn't always leave the Patrician's company having got a word in edgewise, but at least that meant one left without anything sharper having been inserted edgewise. This was probably, in the grand scheme of things, generally speaking, not to put to fine a point on it (so to speak), a net win.

• Like 6

Glad to hear that you have made substantial progress on your sleep debt. That should be some comfort when the Patrician brings up the topic.

Your app to keep you on task sounds like just the thing. How is it working now that the initial shine is wearing off?

4 hours ago, Mistr said:

Your app to keep you on task sounds like just the thing. How is it working now that the initial shine is wearing off? 

When I use it, it works well. If my head's not in it, it is ignorable. It's good at helping me get things done when I'm on board with getting things done. It's not yet good at talking me into wanting to get things done when I'm tired and bored and want to take a night off.

At its best, it's a really good reminder that many, many things that seem annoying or endless can be done in five minutes, or at least enough to make a big dent.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

On the other hand," Vetinari continued as if he hadn't heard her, "witches might be another matter entirely

Is there some narrative causality in the works here... maybe a trip to the mountains?  Or an ambitious crossover?  

9 hours ago, ChrisWithaStick said:

Is there some narrative causality in the works here... maybe a trip to the mountains?  Or an ambitious crossover?  

I honestly don't know, because the narrative causality is working the other direction right now. Or I guess it's the proper direction, the narrative deciding the correct ordering of reality. Like the letter delivered by Feegle, this was not the direction I was expecting this to go.

(One of the things that sounds odd to people who don't write is characters having a mind of their own. But they usually don't break the fourth wall, and this is the second time Vetinari has, after staying so quiet you forget he's there. I feel like I'm getting a taste of the authentic Vetinari experience here. The bastard. Is he allowed to reorganize my challenge plans?)

• Like 3