• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet Takes A Break

Recommended Posts

We got married on Saturday (yay!) and slimming down for that has been my main goal since I came back to NF in 2018. Now that's done, and the general exhaustion of the last several months has well and truly caught up with me, I'm ready to just kick back and relax in all aspects of life for a few weeks. The honeymoon starts on Thursday! I may or may not actually update this thread very much until I'm back home, when it'll be time to focus up and get back to work on being a fit and functional person. In the meantime, I'm contemplating a slice of leftover wedding cake for lunch :D:D

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, all! I'm going to try post here occasionally just so I don't fall out of the habit altogether and forget to come back. Now that we're doing five-week challenges this one also includes my first two weeks back at work, so I'll certainly be around more then.

 

I think even if I weren't going on holiday this would be a light challenge because my knee's giving me grief. I got a twinge a couple of weeks ago after wearing high-heeled boots all day at a friend's bachelorette party. It was getting better until another day in heels at my wedding, including my very rusty attempt at the Nutbush. Hopefully a few weeks without heels or running will get me back to normal.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All my practice of intermittent fasting has really helped me today. Thanks to all the weird flight times and time zone travel my last proper meal was 17 hours ago and the next one is still probably a few hours away. I'm thankful the customs guy didn't confiscate my snacks or I'd be really cranky right now!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been in America for a couple of days now and I just have a few observations:

1) They're not kidding around with portion sizes. I don't think I've finished a meal since we landed

2) You could probably get pretty fit just wandering around San Francisco because Google Maps will not warn you that it's picked a very steep route back to the hotel

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

1) They're not kidding around with portion sizes. I don't think I've finished a meal since we landed

I grew up there and am still astounded every time I go back.  How anyone live there and still maintain a reasonable weight is a mystery to me

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I grew up there and am still astounded every time I go back.  How anyone live there and still maintain a reasonable weight is a mystery to me

Last night we just skipped dinner altogether and went straight for dessert; that's not a very healthy solution but gosh it was nice! ;)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

They're not kidding around with portion sizes.

It would make me so happy to find a place that offered half-size meals at reasonable prices.  I don't want leftovers but I don't want to waste money either!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Chesire said:

It would make me so happy to find a place that offered half-size meals at reasonable prices.  I don't want leftovers but I don't want to waste money either!

Yesterday at lunch they offered a half-serve of garlic bread, but with no hint at how big a full serve is in the first place. We ended up with basically two loaves of bread!

 

I know doggy bags are a popular thing here, but when the hotel room doesn't have a microwave there's not a lot of point. So sadly there's been a bit of waste.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today we did a steep walk around Yosemite which reminded me of a similar hike we did in Japan a couple of years ago, before I came back to NerdFitness. It's hard to compare them objectively, but basically on both walks we zig-sagged up stone steps for about an hour for awesome views. I still struggled, but I think I performed better this time and I think being 10kg lighter helped a lot!

 

At this point I would usually share a pic but I haven't figured out how to resize photos on my new phone yet and I don't want to break the forum ;)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

At this point I would usually share a pic but I haven't figured out how to resize photos on my new phone yet and I don't want to break the forum

You could post them as spoilers; it would be fun to see.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/14/2019 at 7:07 PM, Lateral Planet said:

I've been in America for a couple of days now and I just have a few observations:

1) They're not kidding around with portion sizes. I don't think I've finished a meal since we landed

2) You could probably get pretty fit just wandering around San Francisco because Google Maps will not warn you that it's picked a very steep route back to the hotel

A real crazy thing here too, is that you get use to having that much. So everything just keeps getting more and more. It is very easy to get a fast food meal that is 1600+ calories. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Whisper said:

You could post them as spoilers; it would be fun to see.

That's a great idea! I think I've seen a few people do that, but I'm on mobile mostly and I don't think I can make spoilers? For now I'm experimenting with an app. To test it out, here's this morning's breakfast, of which I barely managed two slices:

20190917_094143_resize_89.jpg.ccfa977edb01681c46257ee27fed7103.jpg

 

4 hours ago, Tateman said:

A real crazy thing here too, is that you get use to having that much. So everything just keeps getting more and more. It is very easy to get a fast food meal that is 1600+ calories. 

I can definitely believe that; you just get used to what's normal! We had lunch at the Cheesecake Factory today and I was very happy to see they had a whole page of "lunch size" options which were just perfect... also it meant we had enough room to share a slice of nutella cheesecake ;)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This brings back memories! :)

Yosemite is beautiful isn't it? I remember getting a slice to share at the Cheesecake Factory, but not managing it even with the two of us. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

This brings back memories! :)

Yosemite is beautiful isn't it? I remember getting a slice to share at the Cheesecake Factory, but not managing it even with the two of us. 

It's gorgeous! We had a great time there, now it's on to Vegas for a few days :D We didn't finish our cheesecake either but we came close. Might have to find another one of those to try some more flavours!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 4:09 PM, Tateman said:

A real crazy thing here too, is that you get use to having that much. So everything just keeps getting more and more. It is very easy to get a fast food meal that is 1600+ calories. 

 

This is really a thing, and its easy to sit down and go  "We need apps, and a salad and the meal...."
 

Although Oh my goodness, that breakfast. Looks amazing, but I feel my blood sugar spiking.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

This is really a thing, and its easy to sit down and go  "We need apps, and a salad and the meal...."
 

Although Oh my goodness, that breakfast. Looks amazing, but I feel my blood sugar spiking.

Yes! We've quickly learnt to just skip entrees altogether at American restaurants. Also since the mega French toast we've made a habit of just getting a cup of fruit from the supermarket for breakfasts.

 

Also, thanks again to @Tateman for the heads up about smoking in casinos; I had my inhaler ready last night and I sure needed it!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.