• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dalish

Dalish is a fat kitty

giphy.gif

I love Pusheen, he's one of those small cute things that makes me smile no matter what.  And after the rollercoaster that has been this winter (southern hemisphere, the seasons are flipped), I've been really feeling that need for feelgood vibes in all kinds of places.  So I'm taking a leaf of out the book of kitty this time around, with a healthy dose of Pusheen to keep things cheery!

After the last challenge, where it was really more of a 'keep checking in while I get through the roughest part of recovery' thread, I've now woken up a day or so ago with a sore throat, yet again, and a cough that's waking me up at night.  I don't THINK it's a recurrence of the pneumonia, but I do think it's not a good thing.  I'll be heading to the docs in a couple of days if it's not cleared up.  But this has really just thrown into sharp relief that my immune system isn't doing great, and thanks to that neither am I.  So I need to put myself first, and work on me a lot more in all areas, and kitties are really good at this!

Things kitties are good at #1 : Sleeping!

giphy.gif

Sleep has been a huge part of my recovery process, but since I was given the all clear on the fluid in my chest I've been a lot worse about it.  I'm still not recovered, I've got a fair way to go before I get there.  So, if my body tells me I need a nap, I need to accept that and at least rest with my eyes closed for a bit.  I also want to be in bed by 11 every night, not curled up on the couch with my phone and Netflix.

Things kitties are good at #2 : Grooming!

giphy.gif

Focusing on getting better has meant letting a lot of things drift a lot lower on the priority list.  A big one has been daily skin care, and I'm paying for it now with some fabulous breakouts.  I have sensitive skin, so keeping a regular and simple skincare regime has really helped me with looking after myself.  Also brushing my hair daily, now that it's long enough to do so.  I've started waking up looking like a mop.  It's not the greatest look to be leaving the house with.

Things kitties are good at #3 : Being active!

giphy.gif

I'm not going to be chasing red dots or catching mice any time soon, but a slow but steady increase of activity is a crucial part of my recovery for my lungs.  And most days I'm content to instead sit around on the sofa and do not much of anything.  My Garmin is set to 3000 steps, it's honestly not that many and it's not that hard.  Rather than set up a workout routine just yet like I thought I would for this challenge, I'm just going to focus on hitting that 3k goal every day.

Things kitties are good at #4 : Eating!

giphy.gif

I'm really not good at this right now.  I have food in the cupboards, the fridge, the freezer.  It's just the desire to cook that I'm mostly lacking.  This week just past I'm having a good day if I remember to eat twice.  It's not the best of places for me to be, because I have a tendency to binge when I start doing that.  So the plan is to figure out a meal plan for two weeks each payday, and stick to it.  That way I can monitor calories and make sure I'm actually eating regularly.

giphy.gif

Well that's the plan for this challenge, as well as keep checking in here regularly.  I try to keep track of other threads as well but I usually end up failing at that.  I'll still try though!

• Like 5

Because nothing in my life can ever go smoothly, I just severely sprained both ankles, broke some toes and potentially a couple of other foot fractures.  The step goal is now on hold!  Yay!

giphy.gif

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yikes!  Sprains and broken bones together makes for a long and uncomfortable recovery period :( 

Yup, most definitely.  Currently trying to find a resting position that's comfortable is the bane of my existence.  No hospital trip yet, just seeing how I go, can tell the toes are broken cause they're  overly swollen shade of black, but there's not much they'll do for toes except tape them.  So just seeing how I fare through the night and probably a trip to hospital tomorrow if the swelling doesn't go down.

This is what I get for trying to change a light bulb on my own!

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Dalish said:

This is what I get for trying to change a light bulb on my own!

Either light bulbs are evil, or whatever you were using as a ladder is. Possibly both. I wish I had something more useful to say.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Whisper said:

Either light bulbs are evil, or whatever you were using as a ladder is. Possibly both. I wish I had something more useful to say.

I mean, it's my own dumb fault really.  I stepped down off the back of the couch less carefully than I should have and missed the support beam, so my foot collapsed on itself and took the rest of me for the ride. 

If I had a nickname or title at this point, I'm pretty sure it would be "perpetual catastrophe". 

Any suggestions for bodyweight stuff I can do that doesn't require putting weight on my ankles for a while would be appreciated!  Right now I need to be staying active, so I can help rehab my lungs, and now my movement is limited so I have to figure something out.

The only thing I can think of would be knee pushups, but maybe also floor dips (sitting with the legs straight out in front of you and pressing into the floor to lift your bum).  Other than that, there are a bunch of core exercises you could do that don't require any ankle support

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The only thing I can think of would be knee pushups, but maybe also floor dips (sitting with the legs straight out in front of you and pressing into the floor to lift your bum).  Other than that, there are a bunch of core exercises you could do that don't require any ankle support

Thanks, this pretty much confirms for me that I'm screwed pretty much.  The problem is putting weight on is really broad right now.  The pressure of resting my feet against the pillow they're elevated on at night is painful even with the pain relief I've got.  I'm really limited enough that crossing my ankles and exerting the effort on my tendons to keep them elevated hurts like hell. 

And I took physical shock damage to a good portion of my joints, so my knees and hips aren't happy and neither are my hands/wrists/elbows.   Dumping 179kg onto them from a height wasn't really healthy for them!  So I should probably not be looking at adding more exertion to them in case of more damage, and stick with deep breathing exercises.  Much to my chagrin.

But thankyou for offering suggestions!  I think it was more wishful thinking on my part, I want to be making more progress than I can reasonably make right now.  I'm trying not to be stubborn and cause myself more issues in the long term.  It's a struggle.

• Like 1

Dad came over last night to bring me some pain meds, cause I was running out, and he stayed for dinner, which is a first since I moved in back in July.  Usually I have to drive all the way up to him, he doesn't really make much effort to come visit me.  Which I still find dumb because I'm the one on a rigid budget who can't afford a 40 minute round trip on the regular.  But still, positive things, I have a whole tub of leftover veggie curry I made on Tuesday, so we ate well, and then he actually did all of my dishes.  Even the ones from earlier in the day.  So I'm 100% not complaining!

And I actually had breakfast this morning.  Albeit it was just eggs and cheese in a tortilla, but it was still food and still tasty.

Now I've got to try and find something to occupy me all day that isn't wandering around, because my feet hurt.

• Like 2

Also, in the last hour, my upstairs neighbour has come out onto her balcony three times to smoke.  Even before I quit I wasn't smoking that much, that's crazy.

Today is a mellow kind of day.  As in, I feel like staying in bed all day and have no real reason to get out of it, so I'm still in bed at 3pm.  It's been a while since I did this, and I'm having a nice, mellow kind of time.

Last night I finally put my application in with the university for a prep course next year.  Because I've been out of high school so long, and I did my studies in another country, they require the prep course before I can apply for a bachelors program.  This decision is actually against the advice and opinions of my Dad, who thinks that at 31 I need to go out there and get another year's work experience, and that university is just a way to get yourself into debt.  This opinion is mainly based on the fact that he's a systems analyst who learnt his trade because he was already working with a company who let him learn it.  We're not all set up that well.  Nor can every career be learned via on the job training alone.

So I'm planning to go back and study, the what is still  little fluid but not much.  I've pretty much decided to go with psychology as a pretty broad discipline, but then the uni I'm going with also offers a bachelors degree in counterterrorism, security and intelligence, and I'm really....really tempted.

• Like 1