• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DarK_RaideR

Should [DarK_RaideR] roll the dice or roll in the mud?

TRICK QUESTION, THIS IS THE RANGER GUILD, BAYBAY!

tenor.gif?itemid=11478682

Hey everyone, welcome to my thread for this challenge round. You may remember I’ve ran a few narrative mini challenges for the Ranger Guild in the past, as well as a Warhammer Fantasy themed PvP that came to be known as “NerdHammer”, an X-COM themed accountability group, a pro wrestling manager videogame narrative for 17 in-game years as NextGen Wrestling or NGW and several other smaller projects with varying degrees of success. I am a storyteller, a tabletop role playing game enthusiast and game/dungeon master with 18 years of experience behind that cryptic screen.

For this challenge round, I’m running two things. The first is a Dungeons & Dragons game for @Jarric, @Raxie, @Starpuck and @SheriffWolfpool which is awesome, not just because I’m playing with fellow nerds from these boards but also because it’s Wolfie’s first ever D&d game! The second is an Obstacle Course Race on November the 2nd. It’s the Spartan Super in ancient Sparta, Greece alongside the Jedi Master himself, @EricMN. Thus, the idea behind this whole challenge thread is to draw upon the energy, enthusiasm and inspiration of the game to prepare for the race, while giving you all some insight on what’s happening in our game!

not-so-good-things.gif

It is perhaps ironic that the Faerûnian continent in the world of Toril has come to be known as the "Forgotten Realms" for it has been anything but quiet. For many ages, mighty empires, shadowy organizations, powerful creatures, world-rippping magic, natural disasters and even the gods themselves have been shaping Faerûn.

Our tale begins in the Dalelands, a region that could be described as a miniature of the Realms and their history. For centuries, the Dalelands were nothing but a loose assortment of independent cities stuck between the massive empires of Cormyr and Sembia, the elves of Cormanthor and their underground drow relatives, as well as the assembly known as the Harpers and their dark enemies, the Zhentharim.

With so many powerful forces around, it should come as no surprise that the Dalelands have been a constant battlefield for clashes big and small, whether they included vast armies or shady operators. Most recently, Cormyr and Sembia traded ground there, before the ruined elven capital of Myth Drannor resurfaced to join the fray, in turn drawing the -also resurfaced- Shadow Empire of Netheril into the conflict.

The clash ended with most of the Dales in ruins. The floating citadel of Netheril crashed into the ruins of Myth Drannor, wiping out both in a blast of magical energy. Cormyr and Sembia were forced to cease hostilities after a prolonged stalemate and what was left of the Dales after the Great Rain caused the nearby Sea of Fallen Stars to rise and submerge entire cities under its waters, coalesced to form the Dales Council.

The residents of the Dalelands have always been a proud, independent and self-sufficient folk who place high value in working towards the common good. The area has always been a popular hub for adventurers of all sorts, but while open to outsiders, locals are slow in trusting them.

One such group has made its way to the town of Shadowdale, or at least what's left of it as it is being reconstructed, drawn by rumors of strange happenings in the nearby village of Orlane. Even for Dalelands standards, they are an unusual lot: a modron, a tiefling, an aasimar and a fire genasi. Still, they've been made to feel pretty welcome, at least compared to what they're used to elsewhere. On a bright autumn morning of late Highsun, the eighth month of the Calendar of Harptos, they are enjoying their breakfast at the Broken Tankard Inn before setting off on their trip to the village of Orlane….

Cog

d4fpe5o-f024ac51-4d3b-425f-9792-9c503386

Cog is a rogue modron cleric, played by @Jarric and according to him, a literal healbot. Modrons are cute little automatons native to Mechanus, a parallel plane of existence that’s all about ultimate law and order. Understanding only logic and connected to a collective hive mind, the modrons function as literal cogs to the grand machine of Mechanus. However, every machine can malfunction every now and then; when that happens, a modron might get disconnected and go rogue. Such is the case of Cog, who was rescued by a group of adventurers and taken to a temple of Lathander, where he struggled to grasp concepts like individuality, emotion and faith. Cog was somewhat of a slow learner, but since he also couldn’t grow old and die, he had all the time in the world to learn. Now a full blown cleric and with his saviours way into retirement, Cog has been sent out to learn more about the world and return the favour by helping someone in need just like he was assisted by the faithful in his own time of need.

Drawing upon Cog's single-mindedness and mechanic efficiency, I shall eat according to the Zone Diet for this challenge. 5 block meals, 1 block snacks, daily check-ins with the scale. It takes a fair amount of preparation and mindfulness, but it's what has worked best for me in the 4+ years I've been with the Rebellion.

Arkaryn Riftripper

image0.jpg

Arkaryn Riftripper (or just Ark, for short) is a tiefling bard, played by @SheriffWolfpool and I hope the above image is what he has in mind. Tieflings have a bit of fiendish blood in them and that manifests in their devilish charm and occasional diabolic physical trait like horns and/or a tail. Just like the player handling him, Ark is pretty light-hearted and somewhat of a newbie when it comes to things like combat mechanics, but also extremely fun loving, cheerful and enthusiastic.

Drawing upon Ark's excitement and social graces, I shall post daily updates of my challenge progress. Exceptions can be made for weekends.

Penemue Alya

Screenshot_20190904-123149-01.jpeg?width

Penemue Alya is a fallen aasimar hexblade warlock played by @Raxie and she's every bit as complicated as her description feels like because #angstyteenagegothedgelord. The aasimar are the opposite of tieflings, mortals with a bit of celestial in their bloodline. The fallen aasimar are, you guessed it, corrupted ones that have fallen from grace. This may have to do with Penemue being a warlock, meaning she essentially made a deal with some powerful otherworldly entity, trading her soul for occult knowledge and power. The hexblade part means her entity of choice (or circumstance) was one from the shadow worlds and she emphasized on the power side of things over the knowledge part.

Drawing upon Penemue's lust for battle and power, I shall attend at least 2 Muay Thai training sessions per week. Preferably without having to sell my soul to some Lovecraftian horror in order to achieve that.

Jyotika

qnff6sy3jta21.jpg?width=494&height=494

Jyotika is a fire genasi barbarian played by @Starpuck. Her bloodline has a bit of the Elemental Plane of Fire and its primordial powers in it, but instead of channeling it into fireballs as a scholarly spellcaster, she lets that fire rage in the heat of combat while providing me with a fertile ground for puns like these.

Drawing upon Jyotika's passion and rage, I shall blaze through my daily Bullet Journal goals. And drop fire relate puns, of course.

Tag along, enjoy yourselves and remember that anything you say around your DM can and will be used against you.

dd-meme-warehouse.jpg?resize=625,636&ssl

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Following, obviously, my great and glorious Dungeon Master! I am so hyped for this game and this challenge round!

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

and I hope the above image is what he has in mind.

It works perfect!! Just make him light blue and that's pretty much Ark right there :D. I'm excited to be aBARD of this my friend! 

Image result for bard meme

Wolf

• Haha 6

5 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following! Are y'all playing through the forums or meeting up via video conference?

Discord, with the occasional voice conference hopes, though I'm not really counting on the latter...

1 hour ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

I'm excited to be aBARD of this my friend! 

Ah, I see you've gone down the rabbit hole of bard memes already...

• Like 4

Yaaaay so much excite and hype.   I love how you pulled from your PCs to form a challenge!  So neat.

Now I just need to keep up around here!

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

You might be surprised at how many of these D&d/wrasslin' crossover memes exist...

Huh, I would have assumed those two fandoms to have very little overlap

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

Huh, I would have assumed those two fandoms to have very little overlap

thumb_when-your-bard-gets-acritical-hit-

my-d-d-craving-day-that-work-for-everyon

dd-meme-barbarian-polishing-armor.jpg?re

952fae0249d3374593c894eb19566442.jpg

tumblr_prkfwn4YaX1u0f5ib_540.jpg

D_4844f5_5303314.jpg

and that's just from a quick google search...

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

16 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Ah, I see you've gone down the rabbit hole of bard memes already...

LOL! There's so many good ones!

13 hours ago, shaar said:

LOVE.  THIS.  :100:

094fe7981b284439fce5e741b1cb805a.jpeg

:lol::lol: That's awesome! I was already excited to play Bard, a class I feel was meant for me to play, but everyone's interactions just get me more jazzed up!

5 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

tumblr_pih59cckBa1tdydtw_540.jpg

You might be surprised at how many of these D&d/wrasslin' crossover memes exist...

LOL! I saw this one the other day and thought it was pretty hilarious.

3 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

tumblr_prkfwn4YaX1u0f5ib_540.jpg

I hate his pants, but love the meme!

image.jpeg.8a191f673cdbf6b33c75bc0de62ff31b.jpeg

Wolf

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I'm returning to the Rangers this challenge.....and I'm calling you out for a PvP.

Little bit different this time, you'll get 1 point for each of these you attend, max 2 points:

On 9/9/2019 at 10:41 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

I shall attend at least 2 Muay Thai training sessions per week. 

I'll lift twice a week for the same points. 

You get up to 5 points a week for each day you zone:

On 9/9/2019 at 10:41 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

I shall eat according to the Zone Diet for this challenge

I'll walk an hour or run 30 mins, 5 days a week for the same points. 

Bonus:

Every 0.5kg dropped between start and end of challenge = 1 point. 

Up for it?

• Like 5

14 hours ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

That's awesome! Terry Crews has to know about this! If he doesn't I would be sad.

That's actually his character. Terry's into this stuff too

• Like 6

On 9/11/2019 at 8:19 AM, Endor said:

and I'm calling you out for a PvP.

Somehow I missed this. Training/Lifting sounds kinda even, Food vs Walk/Run doesn't so I'm not taking you up on that one. Down for the weight loss part too though. Start to finish of challenge Sep16 to Oct20, with weight benchmarks on Day 1 of the challenge. Are you willing to lose more than just face and wager something?

9 hours ago, RES said:

Following before this hits page 2...I've never played D&D but always wanted to learn how :ph34r:

I think we should seriously consider the possibility of inviting some of you for guest appearances...

On a more challenge-related note, it's still Week 0 but I might as well drop some info on how I'm setting up for my goals. If nothing else, just to scare Endor :D

Cog (Eating): I've been trying to make my meals a bit more Zone-compliant since Tuesday and getting back into the mindset of constructing meals out of macro blocks. Hit the supermarket for groceries yesterday and planning to grab a lot of fresh fruit and veggies from the farmers' market on Saturday. Still trying to figure out if and how I may be able to fit in some batch cooking into the whole thing.

Ark (Challenge Updates): I've cut down a lot on other online distractions, including a month or so ago when I pulled an Endor and uninstalled Facebook, Instagram etc from my phone. In turn, this has given me more time, energy and focus to be more active and present on these boards. I bet the energy and excitement of the Discord channel has something to do with it, to be fair.

Penemue (Muay Thai): Trained on Tuesday, almost threw up but kept at it and finished like a boss. Part of it may be due to me being a bit rusty, but I think the bigger thing was doing some kitchenwork before the training session; as soon as I got sweaty, my hands started smelling like salmon, onion and feta cheese, because clearly a single wash wasn't enough. Lesson learned. School's closed on Wenesday evenings, Thursday is therapy afternoon, so the next one is scheduled for Friday evening.

Jyotika (Bullet Journal): I've been getting back into the BuJo habit after the holidays and so far it's going well. Besides expenses, I'm also tracking tasks and getting them done too.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Food vs Walk/Run doesn't so I'm not taking you up on that one

How about I track calories instead?

11 minutes ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Are you willing to lose more than just face and wager something?

Sure, what do you have in mind? A victory ode to the winner? A t-shirt? A poster?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Endor said:

How about I track calories instead?

That seems fairer and more comparable.

3 minutes ago, Endor said:

Sure, what do you have in mind? A victory ode to the winner? A t-shirt? A poster?

We're already 1-0 in terms of t-shirts. I'll take you up on the victory ode thing as part of the bragging rights, because I know how much that motivates you. :)

I was trying to think of a way around international shipping/banking expenses for our bet, so I suggest the winner chooses an organization in the loser's country and the loser must donate at least 10 aussie $ (or Euros, in the unlikely case I lose) to it. You can be nasty and choose an organization the other person hates -though it might really motivate them- or you can be nice and choose a charity organization so something good comes out of it all. Only term is you must also let the receiving organization know of the wager and your opponent, like "hey, I made a bet with X and lost, so here's some money"

• Like 3