[Rebel Pilot Gar] Stay On Target...

Rebel Pilot Gar

Stay on Target

This is mostly going to be a riposte re-post of a thread I created super late last challenge. 

One - Sorry for ghosting! Had to go focus on myself and all that stuff. Work still sucks, but it's getting better. Or at least I'm working on getting it better (communication ftw). But hey, I'm back and ready to do things!

giphy.gif

Two - I signed myself up for a half marathon (November 3rd). These goals are probably more at home in the scouts forum, but honestly just like the rangerly aesthetic so yeah. Anyways, the goals...

tenor.gif?itemid=10894785

1) Stick to the Plan

• Tues / Thurs Runs - Moderately hard effort, focus on running without walk breaks. 
    • Distance less of a concern versus going out and getting a weekday run in, but prefer to run for at least 20 mins
  • Weekend Runs - Saturday or Sunday (depending on weekend obligations). Easy effort, focus on getting the distance in. 
    • Preference = Under 14 min/mile since that's the race cut-off pace.
  • Cross Training - Walking, Yoga, Stationary Bike, Strength, some combo of those

2) Regular Check-Ins

• NF Coaching - Daily check-in
  • Forums - Updates (this thread) 5 out of 7 days & interact with others as often as possible (super introverted over here, I'll do what I can without ghosting again. but I've been having good days lately so should be alright)

3) Hydrate

• Track Water Consumption
  • Aim for at least 2.1 L daily
  • Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

THE PLAN

(sorry in advance to anyone on mobile. looks good on my computer, but my phone crunches all the cells pretty badly)

Week Number :D Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
36 (02 Sept)
Plan Rest Run: 3.5 miles XT: 20 min Run: 3.5 miles Rest XT: 40 min Run: 5.0 miles
Actual Rested 2.8 miles Yoga 20 min Rested 2.0 miles Walk 20 min 5.2 miles
37 (09 Sept)
Plan Rest Run: 3.5 miles XT: 20 min Run: 3.5 miles Rest XT: 40 min Run: 6.0 miles
Actual              
38 (16 Sept)
Plan Rest Run: 4.0 miles XT: 20 min Run: 4.0 miles Rest Rest Run: 5K
Actual              
39 (23 Sept)
Plan Rest Run: 4.0 miles XT: 30 min Run: 4.0 miles Rest XT: 50 min Run: 7.0 miles
Actual              
40 (30 Sept)
Plan Rest Run: 4.5 miles XT: 30 min Run: 4.5 miles Rest XT: 50 min Run: 8.0 miles
Actual              
41 (07 Oct)
Plan Rest Run: 4.5 miles XT: 30 min Run: 4.5 miles Rest Rest Run: 10K
Actual              
42 (14 Oct)
Plan Rest Run: 5.0 miles XT: 30 min Run: 5.0 miles Rest XT: 60 min Run: 9.0 miles
Actual              
43 (21 Oct)
Plan Rest Run: 5.0 miles XT: 30 min Run: 5.0 miles Rest XT: 60 min Run: 10.0 miles
Actual              
44 (28 Oct)
Plan Rest Run: 4.0 miles XT: 30 min Run: 2.0 miles Rest Rest
RACE DAY!!
Actual            
  • Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

W0D1

1) Rested

2) check in done

3) Drank 2.2 L of water

Not sure why but I have been super tired lately, even with getting more sleep than usual. It’s a struggle to get out of bed in the morning. Probably worth shifting my evening schedule up to go to bed earlier since I’ve been getting close to being late to work the past couple of weeks

W0D2

1) 2.3 miles (27 min 42 sec)

2) check in done!

3) 2 Liters 

Had one of those days at work where I put a lot of time in but didn’t get much of anything accomplished except a headache. 

I did go run after work but it was a tough one - need to put some more discipline on my warmup and mobility stretching. About halfway through my calves just got really tight and my feet felt like they were falling asleep. It went away when I walked/stretched and I went back to jogging. Maybe I didn’t drink enough water but I definitely need to dedicate more time to good warm up/mobility work in general.

I’m one of those people who cannot (yet) squat and keep my heels on the ground so mobility in general is an area of opportunity.

Oh wow I am loving that spreadsheet!!  How'd you make it work? :O

GMB has a really good foot/ankle mobility regimen IIRC... I -think- it was them...!

• Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

23 minutes ago, shaar said:

Oh wow I am loving that spreadsheet!!  How'd you make it work? :O

GMB has a really good foot/ankle mobility regimen IIRC... I -think- it was them...!

Thanks! I made it in google docs and just copy/pasted into the forums from my laptop. 

GMB usually has pretty good stuff, thanks for the reminder to take a look at their resources :)

Work kinda sucked the past couple days. I did have a good talk with my boss's boss yesterday (only after they dragged me into the office and opened with "You seem really stressed lately, what's up?"). But hey its the weekend now.

W0D3:

1) Spent some time after work doing a bunch of stretching / foam rolling. Probably a good 30-40 minutes worth of miscellaneous movement while listening to an audiobook. It felt really good, but I can't quite get the leverage to roll out my calves very well. 

2) Hydration: 2.2L 

3) Check in done

W0D4:

1) Nothing. Got home late, meant to use the bike or at least do some yoga but by the time we walked the dog it was time to make dinner and go to bed. 

2) Hydration: 1.8L

3) Checked in with coach, not on forums

W0D5:

1) Nothing again. Went out for BF's birthday after work. Was later than I said I would be after a confrontation with my boss that just left me angry/frustrated. Logged back in when I got home to finish a report before we went out.

2) Hydration: Didn't track very well. Was between 1.8 to 2.0 L but hard to keep track of the magically refilling water glasses at the table

3) did not check in

tumblr_p2exj372la1qhz1tco1_540.gif

Objectives for the weekend:

1) Don't stress too much about work

2) good warm up and cool down for run

3) Run 6 miles (saturday - 2 min run / 1 min walk intervals & see how calves feel today) do yoga / long easy walk (sunday)

4) Drink lots of water, go easy on the alcohol. 

Sorry work has been sucky!! How are things going so far this week?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

9 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Sorry work has been sucky!! How are things going so far this week?

Eh work is still annoying. Still playing catch up at nights trying to decrease backlog of tasks

Training plan - kind of been following this. I got the 6 mile run in on Sunday but was struggling to fit weekday workouts in with trying to play catch up. Did get a mile in last night though. Need to make some time for cross training tonight.

Water has been doing ok, but could be a lot better. Strongly considering doing a “sober October” type of thing

Week 0 Results & Week 1 Progress

Week :D Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
Week 0
Plan Rest Run: 3.5 miles XT: 20 min Run: 3.5 miles Rest XT: 40 min Run: 6.0 miles
Actual Rested 2.3 miles Stretch 20 min Rested Rested Walk 40 min 6.0 miles
Week 1
Plan Rest Run: 4.0 miles XT: 20 min Run: 4.0 miles Rest Rest Run: 5K (race pace)
Actual Rested Rested Run 1.1 miles Rested Run 2.0 miles    

Alright, here's the (late) summary for week 0. Which I treated more as a "challenge" week than a "zero" week. (didn't we used to do 6 week challenges once upon a time?) I figure I can rest after successful half marathon.

Saturday I went to a concert in NYC so there was a lot of walking and dancing/rocking out. Any power metal fans out there? Kamelot / Sonata Arctica / Battle Beast are an epic team-up just FYI. I went for SA to be honest but completely enjoyed all three bands. And Kamelot's new album is pretty great. 

Even with the late night, I still got a 6 mile run in. Did a good dynamic warm up and practiced a 2 min run / 1 min walk split and had no calf tightness issues!! Then I stretched really well after I got home. And was super hungry... so pre-run fueling strategies might be something to think about. 

Week 1 so far has been rough due to work crazy. I did get a short run in Wed and now today (Fri). The plan I was following had 5K and 10K "races" scheduled but I'm not sure if I'll follow it yet. Planning a weekend hike at some point too. 

My weakness so far seems to be getting the cross training in. And prioritizing time during the week to get out and run. Again, not so worried about the distance planned versus just getting out there. But I still have to put some time in to make sure I'm ready. 

• Like 1

I owe a weekend update but wanted to at least get something down. Honestly I mentally crashed so I got a tiny run in and otherwise played Dragon Age Origins for most of the weekend.

did get a 3 mile run in last night though after work. 

Water is still a work in process but I feel a big difference running if I hydrate well versus not enough so have to buckle down on that. 

Plan for tonight is some yoga and not to stress about work stuff too much (we'll see how that goes)

Yoga did not happen tonight.

Work sucked. And I cried. Then got home, bitched about work and cried some more (this time at home... it’s that time of the month don’t judge). Walked the dog. Did some work. And then got annoyed so I’m going to bed.

BF is awesome and brought me chocolate + raspberries as a feel better / please stop crying bribe. It kind of worked.

Work has been a beast. I mentally /emotionally crashed over the weekend. Basically I slept, took the dog for a walk and played Dragon Age Origins. Made up for it by going for a quick Monday run just to do something.

On the plus side, I have been checking in with my NF coach pretty regularly to talk through all the nonsense and how to still prioritize workouts. The schedule for running that I have as "ideal" is mostly something I pulled offline as a hint of a plan. Doesn't mean I can just give up now a month away from the race though.... (running does mentally make me feel so much better though so I should keep at it, if only for my own sanity)

Week :D Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
Week 1
Plan Rest Run: 4.0 miles XT: 20 min Run: 4.0 miles Rest Rest Run: 5K
Actual Rested Rested Run 1.1 miles Rested Run 2.0 miles Rested 2.2 miles
Week 2
Plan Rest Run: 4.0 miles XT: 30 min Run: 4.0 miles Rest XT: 50 min Run: 7.0 miles
Actual Rested 3.1 miles Miss Miss Rested Walk 50 min Miss
Week 3
Plan Rest Run: 4.5 miles XT: 30 min Run: 4.5 miles Rest XT: 50 min Run: 8.0 miles
Actual Run 1.4 miles            

Hey Gar, how are things going lately? Sounded like work was pretty awful last time you checked in; are things going better at the moment?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan