• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elennare

Elennare Gets Spooky

It's 7pm. Practice starts in half an hour, and I am sitting in Panera waiting for my salad. Because I got out of work late again. I also have a frozen yogurt sitting in the car waiting for me. All about balance. :) Technically that's all in my diet. At least I will be doing some yoga or something tonight, because I refuse to skip that. Don't think any Halloween stuff is happening, because I need to go to bed early today because I have a 6:30am meeting in the morning.

(note: the above was true when I started writing it. My food was ready about halfway through writing it, so I'm actually finishing and posting it quite a bit later.)

Don't think the yoga is going to happen, but I will stretch a little bit before bed.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2019 at 4:48 PM, Manarelle said:

Yay for getting practice in. Hope the Thursday early morning meeting went well, and hey, you made it to the weekend. How'd the week round out for you? 

Sadly I didn't make it to practice. I can see how what I wrote might have looked like I did, though. But no, I was waiting for dinner, 15 away from home when I should have been already on my way to practice. Alas.

Thursday morning meeting went well. About like I expected it to go.

Kept to my diet all day, but moving didn't happen because I got sick. I'll spare you the details, but I wasn't feeling well. Did manage to take the boys to the Halloween store to look for makeup and music before I got sick. No luck on either count.

Friday was a comedy of errors, that I don't feel like trying to type on my phone. Had some fast food as part of it, so looks like I won't be changing my goals yet. Was still sick, so no movement (though I suppose I could count the walk Husband and I went on...), but Husband and I at least talked about some Halloween stuff.

To has been good so far. Got some nail polish stuff that should work well for the Halloween costume, so made some progress there. Will make sure I stretch before I go to bed so I get all my goals met to finish out the week.

Now it's bout time! Not skating tonight, but I do have a volunteer position that let's me see the game, so that's cool.

• Like 1

So, some of the crazy stuff that happened on Friday involved me having a pretty bad mental health day. Saturday was OK but not great in that regard. Sunday was even worse and I spent a good part of the day a weepy mess feeling like I suck at everything. After a conversation with Husband, we now strongly suspect I have PMDD. Because, when I mentioned I thought it might be related to my cycle, he looked at me and said "about a week before you get your period? I've noticed that but didn't want to say anything because I thought it would sound dismissive of your feelings." (have I mentioned I have an awesome husband?) So, going to track my moods in a lot more detail for a couple cycles and then go talk to the doctor.

Didn't get anything done on my goals Sunday or today, but yesterday I at least got my toes done. That was nice, and I always feel like I have my shit a bit more together if my toes look nice. Perhaps I'm crazy, but that's the way it is.

Ended up taking a sick day today, and after sleeping in until almost noon, didn't do a whole lot. So that was nice. I feel better physically, now that the headache is gone, but still feel a bit blah emotionally (but that's also a giant improvement).

The one really productive thing I've managed to do is apply for a new job. We'll see what happens, but I think I'm decently qualified for it.

• Like 1

UGH. Spent all day at work yesterday with my nose getting more and more runny and sneezing more and more often as the day went on. And I had neither vitamin C nor zinc available to try to stop it early. So, here I am, taking another sick day. Because apparently it's my turn to have the plague that's going around the office. At least it's slow this week, so I don't feel too guilty about using my sick time. I think I'm most disappointed about not making it to the fabric store yesterday, because we've only got a tad over 3 weeks to get all the Halloween stuff done!

• Sad 1

On 10/1/2019 at 12:54 AM, Elennare said:

So, some of the crazy stuff that happened on Friday involved me having a pretty bad mental health day. Saturday was OK but not great in that regard. Sunday was even worse and I spent a good part of the day a weepy mess feeling like I suck at everything. After a conversation with Husband, we now strongly suspect I have PMDD. Because, when I mentioned I thought it might be related to my cycle, he looked at me and said "about a week before you get your period? I've noticed that but didn't want to say anything because I thought it would sound dismissive of your feelings." (have I mentioned I have an awesome husband?) So, going to track my moods in a lot more detail for a couple cycles and then go talk to the doctor.

Agreed, you have an awesome husband; support and care during bad mental days is a wonderful thing. Hopefully the tracking will give you better insight and an avenue for relief. 

Didn't get anything done on my goals Sunday or today, but yesterday I at least got my toes done. That was nice, and I always feel like I have my shit a bit more together if my toes look nice. Perhaps I'm crazy, but that's the way it is.

Nope, not crazy! If you have something that grounds you, then you have something to build off of. For me, it's having my bed made (ish). If I've made an effort to get the bed in order, then the day wasn't a complete waste of life. What did you choose for the toes this time, as far as colors or designs? 

The one really productive thing I've managed to do is apply for a new job. We'll see what happens, but I think I'm decently qualified for it.

/crosses fingers.

Hope you feel better, boo for the plague. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

Hopefully the tracking will give you better insight and an avenue for relief.

Hopefully!  After doing some more research into PMDD, it seems the most common treatments are diet/exercise, birth control pills, and anti-depressants.  None of those seem like particularly good solutions, honestly.  Too many side-effects from the pills (the most common BC pill for it apparently has a really high chance of causing blood clots), and, well, we all know how well my attempts to fix my diet have gone.  Though I suppose my mental well-being may be more of a motivator to stick with it no matter what?  We'll see what the doctor says once I've got my data collected and can talk to her.

What did you choose for the toes this time, as far as colors or designs?

Normally I really like french, but since I'm planning to get them redone shortly, before our anniversary, I decided to go with a really bright aqua.  Very happy with that choice. :)

Hope you feel better, boo for the plague. 

Thanks.  I am on the mend, and back at work today, but also not 100%.  Think I may go home a bit early today.

All my goals are currently on hold, while I try to get healthy and get my mental shit back together.  I feel very meh about that, but I think it's for the best currently.

On the up side, Husband has decided we're going to get things taken care of with the house.  He pulled everything out of our closet yesterday, and demo'd the  shelf that was in the way, so we can finally install the closet system we bought many months ago.  He's grabbing paint today to touch up the inside of the closet.  And tomorrow, we're going to take all that junk, and all the cardboard boxes, and futon that got ruined because the back porch flooded to the dump so we can finally have a back porch again.

Which means, I'll actually have somewhere to put my clothes, I can hang up stuff that's been worn but doesn't need to be washed (instead of piling it on the floor), and we'll be able to make the back porch a usable space again (which will eventually include a pull up bar and my rings, as well as a small real garden)!  Super excited about all of that.

Hopefully we can get to the fabric store tomorrow as well.  Assuming I'm not super busy with work, since I'm on-call and that's a very real possibility.

On a random note, just some proof of just how busy I'd been.  Yesterday I was looking at something with my paychecks, and I had to go back to June to find a single one that didn't include overtime.  March before it stopped being a fairly regular thing (and August was when they got rid of having to work 4 hours OT *before* you got paid for it)!  So yeah.

• Like 1

Hopefully restarting my goals tomorrow, but I might need one more day. We'll see. Didn't do any crafting, but had a very productive weekend and got to check off a bucket list item (which came as a total surprise).

I was on call Saturday, so didn't go skate, but we did get a uhaul and take a bunch of old boxes and trash and stuff to the dump. According to their scale we got rid of .4 tons of stuff. Not sure how accurate their estimate of the truck weight was but that's what they had on the receipt. We still need to put some things away and wash the patio, but we have a usable patio again!

Today we went to the airshow. It was at the beach. Still not used to 80 degrees being October weather, but it was very nice. The area around the airshow was way crazier than I expected and it probably took us close to an hour to find parking. We ended up farther away from show center than I would have preferred, but we could still see pretty well. Turns out we actually had perfect seats, though. During the Thunderbirds show, one of them did a fast, tight turn almost directly over our heads. During the turn, at least part of the plane went supersonic and I got to hear a sonic boom! I have wanted to do that since I was a little kid, so that was amazing. Think it made my year.

Saturday I woke up feeling like a cloud had been lifted off of me. Guess what else happened Saturday morning? If you said "your period started," you'd be correct. So that seems pretty solid proof of what's going on with my mood. Yuck, but I guess at least I have good info?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Elennare said:

During the turn, at least part of the plane went supersonic and I got to hear a sonic boom! I have wanted to do that since I was a little kid, so that was amazing. Think it made my year.

Woaah, so cool.

12 hours ago, Elennare said:

Saturday I woke up feeling like a cloud had been lifted off of me. Guess what else happened Saturday morning? If you said "your period started," you'd be correct. So that seems pretty solid proof of what's going on with my mood. Yuck, but I guess at least I have good info?

Very good info! 

16 hours ago, Elennare said:

I was on call Saturday, so didn't go skate, but we did get a uhaul and take a bunch of old boxes and trash and stuff to the dump. According to their scale we got rid of .4 tons of stuff. Not sure how accurate their estimate of the truck weight was but that's what they had on the receipt. We still need to put some things away and wash the patio, but we have a usable patio again!

Dang, nice. That's cool when the world comes together and gets a goal done that you don't have to struggle to get done anymore. Very congrats, and yay for potential rings, pull up bar and garden!

Today we went to the airshow. It was at the beach. Still not used to 80 degrees being October weather, but it was very nice. The area around the airshow was way crazier than I expected and it probably took us close to an hour to find parking. We ended up farther away from show center than I would have preferred, but we could still see pretty well. Turns out we actually had perfect seats, though. During the Thunderbirds show, one of them did a fast, tight turn almost directly over our heads. During the turn, at least part of the plane went supersonic and I got to hear a sonic boom! I have wanted to do that since I was a little kid, so that was amazing. Think it made my year.

That is super cool. Is it pretty much like you hear in videos, or do recordings not do it justice?

Bleah, boo for it happening, but yeah, good to have a theory validated, and possibly a solution coming up. 

That is super cool. Is it pretty much like you hear in videos, or do recordings not do it justice?

Ya know, I've never heard one in a video, so I don't know.  In this case, I'm fairly certain it was only the wings that went supersonic, so it was probably a bit different sounding than when the whole plane does (I'd guess you'd get multiple overlapping "booms" from the various shock waves the plane makes, which probably changes the sound an observer on the ground hears).  Just before it happened, there was some sort of change in the sound the plane was producting that made me think there was about to be a sonic boom, though I certainly couldn't tell you what it was.  I'd say the best way I could describe it is as a loud (very loud, and you could feel it just as much as hear it), hard, flat, BANG!  If you've heard a whip crack, rather like that but WAY bigger.  Definitely sounded like something breaking. :)

• Like 1

I think I've mostly given up on my food and exercise goals for this challenge.  We've got too much stuff going on right now.  The house is still kind of a giant mess, and my parents are coming to stay with us for a week starting next Tuesday.  We've got about 2 weeks to get all the Halloween stuff done.  And there's still all the normal life stuff that needs to happen.  Saturday is the min skills test for derby, so I MUST go to practice tonight (didn't go on Monday because I just felt completely run down and decided trying to push through that would be a bad idea).  Assuming, of course, that I am actually allowed to try, because I certainly haven't met the attendance requirements.  And, I am still really tired today, because I had to get up early for a meeting today.  Made it to the fabric store last night, though, so now I have stuff I can work on again.  Didn't get everything we need, but got a lot of it.  I have much sewing to do.

On 10/7/2019 at 5:34 PM, Elennare said:

Definitely sounded like something breaking. :)

Dang... that's on my bucket list now, too. Guess that's why they called it breaking the barrier.

17 hours ago, Elennare said:

The house is still kind of a giant mess, and my parents are coming to stay with us for a week starting next Tuesday.

Any chance your parents like to clean? :)

17 hours ago, Elennare said:

Made it to the fabric store last night, though, so now I have stuff I can work on again.  Didn't get everything we need, but got a lot of it.  I have much sewing to do.

Good luck, you've got this! Especially now that the pre-m-nastiness is gone. 

• Like 1

Happy Saturday!

I go retake my min skills test in 2 hours. I'm excited, because I want to be able to practice at my actual level again. But getting more nervous as it gets closer. Because I have no idea how this league conducts the test. And I haven't done a WFTDA test since about 6 months after I started skating, which I think was about 5 years ago. Maybe only 4. I should probably know that, but I don't. Lol. And the laps, of course. Don't think I'll ever be not nervous about testing those, even though I'll be able to try again later if I don't make them. I mean, I know I got this, but the not knowing what to expect is messing with me a bit.

Will report back afterwards.

• Like 2

Success! Got a few things I can improve on (duh), but I did everything, and did it confidently (despite physically feeling like I was super nervous or drank too much coffee). And got 27.5 laps! Which is the best I have ever done during an actual test! Woo hoo!

• Like 3

So many posts today. But I have progress on the halloween costumes to share. Finished drawing the pattern for my wings! Now it's off to the store to try to find the wire I need and the colored cellophane I want (they'll be fine just iridescent but cooler if I can also throw some other colors in there). Probably won't get them finished today, but maybe tomorrow?

20191012_164523.thumb.jpg.a9b1abd2d3bec895b89a3754b788da45.jpg

The pencil lines are a bit light, sorry. Best picture I could get.

• Like 2

On 10/12/2019 at 3:50 PM, Elennare said:

Success! Got a few things I can improve on (duh), but I did everything, and did it confidently (despite physically feeling like I was super nervous or drank too much coffee). And got 27.5 laps! Which is the best I have ever done during an actual test! Woo hoo!

Beast! Congrats! All those skills locked away in your muscles, not letting your brain know that it'll all be ok. :) 

The wings look great, did you seriously freehand that? Very impressive. 

Beast! Congrats! All those skills locked away in your muscles, not letting your brain know that it'll all be ok. :)

Thanks!

The wings look great, did you seriously freehand that? Very impressive. 

Thank you! :)The vaguely human outline on there is actually Husband's doing.  I laid down on the paper and had him trace me.  The rest, yeah.  I had a picture I was using for reference though (not an exact copy).

• Like 1

How is it only Tuesday?  It feels like it should be Thursday. :(

So Sunday, we were going to finally install the fancy new closet system we bought, I was going to henna my hair, and also hopefully work on some costume stuff.  Instead, we found out we measured the closet wrong and the stuff we bought was like 3" too big to fit.  So, the entire afternoon got eaten up by a trip to Ikea to find/buy some pieces that would fit.  Then church and dinner, and then it was time to put the boys to bed.  Finally, at like 9:30 at night, I had the chance to put henna in my hair.  Which is at least a 2.5 hour process.  If I didn't do it, I would have wasted the entire batch of henna I got ready.  So, tried that.  Turned out I made it too thin, and I ended up having to wash it out of my hair after 45 minutes (instead of the 2 hours it's supposed to be) because it had gone from dripping down my face a little bit to running out of the shower cap onto my shoulder and I didn't have any way to fix it.  Didn't get nearly as much color as I had hoped for, but I did get a little, and it seems to have fixed the super frizzy.

Monday, I was at work until 7:30pm.  Mostly because the lovely computer system we use for most of our work went down.  We managed to work around it, but everything took way longer and communication was a mess.  Got home with food at 8.  Ate my dinner, took a bit of time to relax, and then worked on closet some with Husband.  Got to bed late.

This morning, I somehow turned my alarm off instead of hitting snooze.  Didn't oversleep too much.  Decided to weigh myself.  Weight is still going up.  Blargh.  Got to work, the computer system is still down.  I have to pick my parents up from the airport at 7pm, and they're staying for a week.  Still haven't booked the hotel for Friday night for Husband and I, because we still haven't figured out what to do/where to go to celebrate our anniversary.  I'm behind where I wanted to be on all the Halloween stuff, and I forgot they were visiting when I was planning stuff.  Which means my available time (what's not sucked up by work) has shrunk by a lot.  I'll have to get things done while they're here, though, because they're not leaving until 2 days before everything needs to be done.

I've...got...this? 

Sure, let's go with that.

• Like 2

Survived super early meeting, though I didn't get to bed as early as I had hoped last night, so I am very tired. Decided not to go to practice tonight as a result. Don't feel super great about that choice, but it was probably the right one.

I'm currently trying to decide if I want to try to work on my wings tonight or just go to bed. Might cut out the cellophane, because I don't think I want to stop part way through a frame and that seems like too big a project for tonight.

In awesome news, I now have a pair of purple suede skate boots on their way to me. I really hope they fit. The last selling them was asking too good a price to not take a chance on. Now I just need to find my old plates and get some more toe stops. Hopefully the place that sells the heart-shaped ones will have the purple ones in stock again soon.

Oh, and there's now a good chance I'll be going on a business trip to France sometime in the next several months. So that's cool, too.

• Like 2