• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elennare

Elennare Gets Spooky

On 10/18/2019 at 8:32 AM, Manarelle said:

Busy week. Any chance of the parents helping out with halloween stuff? Also, heck yeah for purple suede skate boots, those are gonna be awesome. 

They can help a little bit (and we did put them to work some yesterday), but we have to be very careful which tasks they are asked to help with or things won't get done right.

Husband and I had a lovely Friday night/Saturday day celebrating our anniversary. (I may add more info when I'm at my computer)

Sunday we spent a good chunk of the day working on Halloween. There's a plan for the car and stuff got mocked up, Little Bug's costume is almost done, and I got my underskirt finished as well as one wing.

20191020_225357.thumb.jpg.7d7705273801b8ff86979ec7493b2294.jpg20191020_225417.thumb.jpg.ce31b2ae9be11aa7ee90767c41e807f0.jpg

Oh the wings. I really like the way the frame came out. Except, the wire that's the main support keeps bending and feels like it's about to break. The florist tape covering everything did a lot to help the structural integrity, but man is it a pain to do. And it took forever, even with 2 people. And it didn't help the breaking wire. On top of that, the cellophane didn't behave how I expected it to, and it was a super fine line between shrinking and melting, and it didn't seal up right everywhere AND it got way more opaque unless there's light behind it so you can't really see the frame. All in all I feel very meh about the results. Oh! And the fabric store didn't have more of the cellophane and the craft store had it but it was a different color! End result: if I had more time, I'd be able to fiddle with things and make it work and look good, but I don't even have time to make the rest of them with what I have. So, I'm going to buy some much less awesome wings and go cry in the corner for a bit. And then get back to work on the other stuff.

And somehow I forgot the challenge ended yesterday. I'm going to keep zero week (where I finish all the Halloween stuff) here. Might write something in the new challenges, but no updates there until it starts.

• Like 1

Ugh, that's frustrating when things don't do what they're supposed to. It's still amazingly beautiful, though, and I'm sure there will be lights shining at the trunk or treat. Seriously gorgeous. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Ugh, that's frustrating when things don't do what they're supposed to. It's still amazingly beautiful, though, and I'm sure there will be lights shining at the trunk or treat. Seriously gorgeous. 

Thanks!  Sadly, I won't be wearing them, because I don't have time to make the rest.  And I'm pretty sure this one is going to break on me.

Just got 2 sets of these (below) so I can sew them together so they are printed on both sides, and put a wire frame in the top, and also replace the stupid choker thing with the same sort of frame in the corset I was planning for the ones that didn't work out.

https://smile.amazon.com/Fabric-Butterfly-Ladies-Costume-Accessory/dp/B07H4MG76X/ref=sr_1_62?crid=1L6PO8AFF63VR&dchild=1&keywords=adult%2Bfairy%2Bwings&qid=1571679497&sprefix=adult%2Bfairy%2Caps%2C213&sr=8-62&th=1

Yesterday's progress on the costumes: my mom got Little One's pants made and most of the pieces for the top cut out.  I got the pieces for my corset cut out.  Husband got a bunch of pieces for Little Bug's helmet cut out, and finished his cloak.

I was planning to try to do my corset tonight, but got an email this morning that said the boys' dance class is having a Halloween party on Thursday and they should wear their costumes.  So, Little One's costume is going to take priority.  Maybe I can manage to do to both!

And, we need shoes.  Trying to remember now, but I think Little Bug is already set for shoes, but Little One and I don't have any.  Will need to hit up the thrift stores stat.

• Like 1

Huh. How'd it get to be 12:30? But Little One's top is done. Could use a good ironing, and it still needs the embellishments and accessories, but his costume is mostly done! I'm pretty happy with how it looks. Hopefully he'll agree, but I have to wait until a reasonable a.m. hour to find that out. :)

20191023_003655.thumb.jpg.c7633c6df819fe9f8734ddcce3674e6a.jpg

• Like 2

Tonight's progress:

20191023_230318.thumb.jpg.c9cdf13524ed8ebb556d5307eba959ef.jpg20191023_230326.thumb.jpg.06e0c818afb5b8b4a90974a257df757b.jpg

Got the outer shirt painted, the headband made and painted, the belt made, the knee pads made, and the fake under shirt done. All that's left is to put velcro on the knee pads and make the green trim for the end of the sleeves, but I need Little One for those things to make sure they're sized right. Which means his costume is essentially done! Unless he gets really upset about not having the hood and mask, I'm not planning to make them, because he can't wear it most of the time anyway. Do still need to iron things, but something sticky got on the iron, so that needs to be dealt with before I can use it.

My wings arrived, which is good, but I ran out of time to open the package to really look at them. I could have done that, or started working on something else for my costume, but I decided going to bed at a semi-decent hour was the better choice.

Husband did some more work on Little Bug's helmet so now it's fully assembled and ready for finishing. I think most of the stuff for the car is ready, too. Not sure how much sleep I'll get tomorrow, but I did take Friday off work. We got this.

• Like 2

Finished up Little One's costume this morning before work this morning, so that's good. That's about all that went right today.

Started my day at 5:30 am, when I got woken up by Little One being not able to breathe. Didn't actually manage to fall back asleep except for the 5 minutes right before I got up, during which time I had a truly bizarre dream.

Found out a bit before lunch that the awesome shirt I bought on sale that didn't fit is not eligible for exchange because of the awesome sale that was going on when I bought it. Almost started crying. Went to get lunch, and the lady in line in front of me got the last serving of the food I wanted. Hurt my ankle with my shoe (jabbed the buckle really hard into my ankle bone). Had a super crazy day at work, where I didn't didn't get to leave until 7:45 at night. Found a mistake I made months ago, or maybe I actually made it tonight, but I couldn't figure it out because I was so brain fried after all the work crazy that was my work day, so I ended up not actually sending the answer tonight which means I could have left earlier and not missed dinner with the family and Husband's parents. And Little One still can't breathe and he threw up before bed, so I'm really hoping it's just him not dealing well with the poor air quality we have today and not he's come down with the flu before we've had a chance to get our shots this year.

I picked up dinner for me on the way home, started to eat it while watching Sabrina because that seemed like the perfect thing for tonight, but the family came home right after I started it, so I got to watch all of 5 minutes of it, and then a stupid fly landed in my drink so I didn't even get to finish it. Wasted some lovely coconut rum and the expensive natural sports drink. Stupid fly!

So I'm going to go to bed instead of trying to sew more tonight, because I'll just screw it up and it'll take twice as long, and then my stupid hormones will make stupid brain yell at me a whole bunch more. Because, guess what? It's about a week before shark week, and wouldn't ya know it, my mental health is going to shit again like it nosedived off a cliff! So yeah, that's definitely a thing. Yay! Not.

• Sad 2

Ugh, what a crap day. :( Sorry you had to deal with all that. Good call on going to bed, too; sewing and frustration are not good partners. Hope today's going better for you. /hugs

43 minutes ago, Manarelle said:

Ugh, what a crap day. :( Sorry you had to deal with all that. Good call on going to bed, too; sewing and frustration are not good partners. Hope today's going better for you. /hugs

So far, not so much. I think Little One is doing better, but Husband was up with him until 1 am or something like that, because he needed medicine every few hours. I took over at 4, and wasn't sleeping great before that. So, we get to start the day in the hole. Going to be super tired (need coffee but we keep forgetting to buy more creamer), but hopefully we can manage to be functional. I have some costume errands to run this morning, so coffee while I'm out, I guess. And maybe taking Little One to the doctor...

• Sad 1

Well, we ended up not taking Little One to the doctor, and he seems to be doing much better. Not well enough that he was able to go to Trunk or Treat, but definitely on the getting better side of whatever it was.

I lost a couple hours this morning taking care of Little One, so I wasn't able to get my costume finished in time. I got close, but didn't quite get there. And broke my sewing machine in the process. So that's not great.

The event itself went great, aside from the part where my back started spasming on me about an hour before it was over. We didn't win, but we got a LOT of compliments, so that was awesome.

I have 3 pictures of the trunk, one of what I was wearing, and one of me and Little Bug. I don't know if they'll all fit on one post, so I might have to make a second post with some of them. I won't be getting my real costume finished before the next challenge starts, nor will I have one of Little One in his costume, so you'll have to check my thread in the next challenge for those!

20191025_172832.thumb.jpg.de038b2addd51e35ca9e291a3e58bd52.jpg20191025_183103.thumb.jpg.37d7e088271727e30fe9f6b568223afc.jpg20191025_192542.thumb.jpg.ecae794fbaf7e47d831b657f7dce8d9a.jpg

• Like 3

20191025_173641.thumb.jpg.2e15821892af9ac5445e15f12fae8eec.jpg

It was kind of a cop out, but I needed something quick and it's what I had.

20191025_180736.thumb.jpg.4b74cab90649a4a261e38c2c603dd725.jpg

And a bonus pic of the broken sewing machine

20191025_141151.thumb.jpg.84e360490c09bcf2c888baf3ef597db4.jpg

And it looks like there's a rubber duck poking it's head in to see what's going on, but that's actually a bottle of fabric paint. :D

• Like 1

You did a beautiful job on the trunk and the costumes! It might feel like a cop-out to you, but for people who have never seen/ don't regularly see derby skaters, it looks fantastic. Sorry to hear about the sewing machine, that's a low blow to a crafter, but glad to hear the little one is getting better. 

• Like 1