• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

@mu

Fall wizardry

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Press 2 HS + some flexibility: I managed 3 press to handstands from pbzars! First one, I frog-ged it, second one I had a slight flexion in my arms, third was ok, not super pretty but I'm totally happy with it. It is really coming!!

Wow, you are amazing!  The hard work and consistency are really paying dividends

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 12:37 AM, KB Girl said:

That's awesome! And you didn't even really expect to do one for a while :)

Yes I'm always a bit on the pessimistic side, I'd rather be nicely surprised, than fail on wishful thinking.

On 9/27/2019 at 10:38 PM, raptron said:

THREE!! Amazing.

Grr about your class cancellation though!

Yeahh!! I sure hope the third class will be a good one, or should I be on the pessimistic side :lol:

On 9/28/2019 at 1:19 AM, GoodDoug said:

That looks so good! I am inspired

On 9/28/2019 at 4:37 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Wow, you are amazing!  The hard work and consistency are really paying dividends

Thanks!

On 9/28/2019 at 6:05 AM, Mad Hatter said:

WHOOOA 3 presses! They really are coming along! I like how you set up for them.

Not sure the extra curling up is of any real use, but it somehow helps feeling "it" for now.

So little cold transformed itself into full blown strep throat, bah I was ill all the week-end.

Spoiler

My uncle is doing well though. He is having a round of chemo and it's looking promising touching wood. He has some skin irritations from it but doing ok overall (it's a tablet treatment). His cancer started in a kidney and propagated to the spine. The kidney growth has been removed, now they are treating the metastasis. That one was compressing his spine. A year ago, his legs were no longer responding. Now he has full control of the left one and the right one has started moving as well. He still has a lot of back pain but he looks in good care and in good mood despite the pain. He has always been a cheerful character so it's difficult to tell, but I sure hope that life drive helps him out in that battle.

I still have some P2 + flex in my schedule but I will skip it. I feel better than this morning but body definitely wants rest.

In the meantime, you will get some Persian spam :D

There is a proverb in Persian that says:

آب طلب نکرده مراد است

ab-e [water that is] talab nakarde [not requested] morad [wish] ast [is]

meaning: the water you did not request (and got offered) comes from your own desire.

Not everybody agrees with that, so there is a poem, by Fazel Nazeri, entitled:

ab-e [water that is] talab nakarde [not requested] hamishe [always] morad [wish] nist [is NOT]

You can listen to a sung version by Parvaz Homay here. That's how I got to know about all this, I was in the car with my father-in-law and E., and the song came about on the radio. I asked about it because the rhymes are beautifully done. And I got the whole explanation, and some more at work from my colleagues (about the proverb bit). It took me a while to be really sure about the proverb because, like the poet, I personally do not agree with the assumption!

Here is an approximation in English if it's of any interest, unfortunately I could not render the rhymes, it's just too hard, but in Persian they are just amazing.

Spoiler

They are carrying you away from the garden to illuminate you

To make a Christmas tree out of you.

Dark clouds have come to shade your morning

Only to make you cry

O flower, do not think that you are going to the feast's night

Maybe they will drop you on the soil covering some dead

Joseph, do not be so happy to be freed from the well

This time they are carrying you to prison

Between curse and mercy, there is just one dot [1]

Fear that dot, for it might bring you to hell.

You do not always want to drink from the unexpected jar of water they brought to you

Sometimes it is a pretext to sacrifice you [2]

[1] rahim / rajim:  mercy / curse: the 2 words are written the same except for 1 diacritic dot (رحیم / رجیم)

[2] Water is given to the animal before ritual sacrifice

And here is my common writing for the last 4 verses which I think are beautifully sad but true.

yek noqte bish farqe rajim o rahim nist

az noqte-i betars ke sheitaniat konand

abe talab nakarde hamishe morad nist

gahi bahane-ist ke qorbaniat konand

abe_talab_nakarde.jpg.4dc0d68184fff008a0b60da192b458f7.jpg

One problem in my writing is that I tend to separate words like I do in English or French, but it's not really needed, I mean not as much as I think. It's not too bad in that sample, but if I don't think about it, I will instinctively use too much space. That and my ups and downs are not very regular :lol:

And here is a beautiful nastaliq version of the last 2 verses that I found on Google images:

1557487262_38775229_259066964715683_7106

I forgot the mana graph, pretty low ending with the bloody cold :sleeping: but it feels like I'm getting over it now.

1478297189_Screenshotfrom2019-09-2917-44-50.png.bae9bda71a15ea05100014c217b37bfb.png

And Persian + levitation, good that I did press 2 HS on Friday since the aerial class was cancelled:

/* Challenge log */

Persian     6/7 6/7
Press to HS 2/2 2/2

I just discovered those French marmot/groundhog parodies on YouTubes, they come up on TV every so often between ads.

It's very well done. Top gun, E.T. And Rocky are probably my preferred ones with Flash Dance and Pulp Fiction. But they are all brilliant :D

Watching the marmot videos is against my challenge at the moment, but nonetheless I appreciate the comic relief after that poem. :lol:

Fingers crosses for your uncle! It must be amazing to be able to control his legs again.

Glad you're recovering too. :) 

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

Quick update:

Monday while I thought I was getting better (I did manage my flexibility session in the morning), I went into zombie mode very quickly during the day and was kindly asked to go to the doctor :D

I took a day off work (Tuesday). So no press to HS on Tuesday, I was rather badly. That day off helped though, I have lots of stuff to vaporize my nose / throat with and it seems to help.

I also had a very annoying multi-thread bug that I finally sorted out today after half-dying it on it Monday. My mood is UP!

I'm going to acro class tonight. I'm not super fresh (a small 3/5 but an improvement compared to yesterday and this morning). I need to move a little bit (motivation 4/5). My nose is ok, I feel I can invert without my brain slipping through :D or sneezing on everybody out there. I will take it easy of course.

My bike was repaired today and it's great! Besides the brakes, the guy also repaired the back wheel and the chain (it was a bit buckled from my accident). It's not perfect because it's an old bike but it feels so much better!

Still on my list of nagging things is my bank's story in the UK but they have started to call me back and to apologize... hopefully we are onto something.... it's not sorted yet though.

And... I received a free t-shirt from Garage Gym Girl :onthego::surprise: plus a few rainbow stickers. Pretty awesome press 2 HS care pack! Love it!

Off to a shower and class!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, @mu said:

My nose is ok, I feel I can invert without my brain slipping through :D or sneezing on everybody out there. I will take it easy of course.

Hahah, very important. 

My bike was repaired today and it's great! Besides the brakes, the guy also repaired the back wheel and the chain (it was a bit buckled from my accident). It's not perfect because it's an old bike but it feels so much better!

Yay!

And... I received a free t-shirt from Garage Gym Girl :onthego::surprise: plus a few rainbow stickers. Pretty awesome press 2 HS care pack! Love it!

Ooooh! Nice!!

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 7:23 PM, @mu said:

they have started to call me back and to apologize...

a good sign at least! 

Glad you're really starting to feel better now :D

• Like 1

Sorry I'm blurping short updates from offline logs, I hope I can catch up with threads over the week-end.

Acro class on Wed was ok, it was similar to last week so I could even feel things getting easier. Towards the end I mostly did HS on the floor though and HS to wheel, and trying to get back to HS from wheel which I could not do without heavy spotting. Still this has motivated me for my back-bend and flexibility sessions, because I thought they were maybe a bit meh and going no where, but I'm actually doing quite well flexibility wise.

Apparently next week is aerial in that class as well, very happy with that!

So finally that aerial class, freshness still about 3, motivation 4. Doing lots of wheels and dynamic compression stuff on Wed did really hit my hamstrings and my butt. But I'm kinda regularly familiar with that pain :D It's just a bit higher than usual.

No discussion this time, lolz.

Some rounds of conditioning, 3 different climbs alternating sides (I liked that, it's a total brain game if you tend to only do your good side), a foundation review (hip lock again on both sides) and one move (hip lock to opposite catcher, this one has a bit of a slide that is not so nice on rope) + a round of do whatever you like (in the scope of your abilities obviously :lol: ).

I'm kinda struggling with the vocabulary because I learned all this in Scotland and I'm not always able to map the French for it.

The teacher was pretty hand off I'd say and mostly focused on the group learning foundations (fair enough). And I stayed away from trapeze because I just don't fancy trapeze much. I did mostly rope and some silks.

I don't know if it's all the push (and some work on my aerial home setup) that I have been doing that preserved my shoulders' strength but I don't feel that much of a gap between my before (4 years ago) and now. I'm even wondering if I'm not a bit more "balanced" than I used to be (I was no where near the extent of push stuff that I'm doing these days).

I mean, endurance and grip have gone down a fair bit of course, pain threshold is also lower. Slickness and lines need work too. Shoulder twists under load will need some practice as well.

But I didn't feel frustrated? I thought I might really - as it is usual when you have to start again and are struggling with nostalgia etc... but I was actually nicely surprised.

The really nice one is that I can still definitely invert from straight arms, which took me ages to get initially (a few years?) but I still have. Maybe all those regular leg raises and meathook practice did help maintenance. That's a big one because oddly enough, while it's hard to get that technique at first, once you have it, it is really the less tiring option (compared to inverting from bent arms => using your biceps all the times is much more tiring that simply relying on your back).

Another possibility is that I have a smaller gap between expectations and reality (thanks HS work..)? And I'm just happy to hang about again :) Am I becoming a mature assassin? :D It was a nice class overall.

• Like 4

I'm really impressed you managed to retain this level! Of course you had your aerial rig, but it's not quite the same. 

What's the overall class level? 

8 hours ago, @mu said:

That's a big one because oddly enough, while it's hard to get that technique at first, once you have it, it is really the less tiring option (compared to inverting from bent arms => using your biceps all the times is much more tiring that simply relying on your back).

Huh, I didn't realise this was the case. I always thought straight arms were preferred for aesthetic reasons. Just based on how difficult it is to get the skill in the first place!

8 hours ago, @mu said:

Another possibility is that I have a smaller gap between expectations and reality (thanks HS work..)?

:lol: Aaahh handstands... If there's one discipline that teaches you patience, that's the one.

8 hours ago, @mu said:

And I stayed away from trapeze because I just don't fancy trapeze much. I did mostly rope and some silks.

I find it very amusing how all aerial apparatuses are so similar, yet so polarizing! Personally I find trapeze awesome and silks annoying. :P 

8 hours ago, @mu said:

Am I becoming a mature assassin? :D

I don't know, I think you might already be one. I'm always SO impressed and inspired by your consistency and tenaciousness in your training. Your tolerance for The Grind is quite remarkable. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, @mu said:

Still this has motivated me for my back-bend and flexibility sessions, because I thought they were maybe a bit meh and going no where, but I'm actually doing quite well flexibility wise.

Sweet! :D

18 hours ago, @mu said:

I'm kinda struggling with the vocabulary because I learned all this in Scotland and I'm not always able to map the French for it.

I've heard that a lot of the terms in aerial aren't standardized even in one language, so that sounds like a natural and common issue. 

18 hours ago, @mu said:

The really nice one is that I can still definitely invert from straight arms, which took me ages to get initially (a few years?) but I still have. 

Awesome!

18 hours ago, @mu said:

Another possibility is that I have a smaller gap between expectations and reality (thanks HS work..)? And I'm just happy to hang about again :) Am I becoming a mature assassin? :D It was a nice class overall.

:D Yesss! I also feel like you're very mature about your training. 

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 8:04 AM, Mad Hatter said:

What's the overall class level? 

I'd say currently beginner and first stage intermediate? Assuming the first milestone of fluency is a reliable invert in the air, most people do not quite have that yet. There were 2 other women starting again as well, after a longer break than me (8 years for one) and they look like they know their stuff, they just need to recover their functional strength. And then there was a bunch of people looking very fit and able - possibly dancers and climbers :D  and those guys learn aerial quickly.

Now, I thought the teacher picked good material though because he doesn't have quite a clue yet as who can do what. I mean,  hip lock is foundation, but you can make it as hard as needed really (eg meathooked hip lock). And the transition from hip lock to catcher is an intermediate move. It can be a bit scary in the air because you have to move backward and it's an open wrap. But even very close to the floor, it's a good one to understand wraps imo.

I asked him if I could bring my ball – I'm not sure he quite understood what I meant :D but he was curious and open to the idea.

Huh, I didn't realise this was the case. I always thought straight arms were preferred for aesthetic reasons. Just based on how difficult it is to get the skill in the first place!

Yes it sounds counter-intuitive because it is harder but overall, it saves a lot of air-time energy (not just for inverts, for everything).

16 hours ago, raptron said:

I've heard that a lot of the terms in aerial aren't standardized even in one language, so that sounds like a natural and common issue.

That's true. I'd struggle with the local dialect anywhere :lol:  There is one climb "usually" called the French climb, but I haven't picked up how they call it here :D

I'm always SO impressed and inspired by your consistency and tenaciousness in your training. Your tolerance for The Grind is quite remarkable. 

16 hours ago, raptron said:

Yesss! I also feel like you're very mature about your training. 

Ha ha thanks, you guys have told me that a couple of times and it's a bit odd to read in a way because I also feel that I have to juggle a bit at times with that (am I lazy vs overdoing it in a way that is not sustainable long term).

Friday morning: serious butt DOMs from acro went slightly worse. Upper hams were also a bit grumpy, and some bruising spots on my upper thighs (that comes from hip locking on a big fat rope and somewhat skinny silks => body needs to get used to that again :D ).

Friday evening: DOMs from aerial started hitting...ouch

I thought of doing some flexibility and recovery stretching in the evening, but did not manage. I did read some Persian.

Saturday: all the DOMs – ouch++ Freshness: 2 motivation: 4  - so I trained but was not too ambitious.

Press 2 HS: I got on with some warm up, that helped, except for abs. My, they are sore, all of them, upper, lower, obliques. They are so tender that when I cough, it hurts :hopelessness: I think part of it is not muscular but bruising from the rope?

Leg raises were excruciating and I had to fully bend the legs. Pushing however felt good. Abs got a case of FOMO and joined in, so despite the DOMs, I pressed some up to books@2-3cm with a good mix of fails in there, and lots of bent legs so I didn't bother to attempt on pbarz.

HS consistency: 12/25 oops :D

It was nice to push though, all the DOMs in the shoulders feel much better now.

Ha and I registered to a HS workshop for next Saturday! I sure hope I won't have the same level of DOMs.

• Like 1

Based on all the DOMS it certainly sounds like there was a lot less talking this class. :lol:

20 hours ago, @mu said:

Ha ha thanks, you guys have told me that a couple of times and it's a bit odd to read in a way because I also feel that I have to juggle a bit at times with that (am I lazy vs overdoing it in a way that is not sustainable long term).

The fact that you're even asking yourself these questions is a sign of maturity. :) 

20 hours ago, @mu said:

Ha and I registered to a HS workshop for next Saturday!

Cool!

12 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Based on all the DOMS it certainly sounds like there was a lot less talking this class. :lol:

:D "be careful what you wish for"

A very Persian-related week-end.

Spoiler

One my colleagues gave me the details of an Iranian student doing her PhD here. She's doing it in English and her French is so so. So we hanged out on Saturday. She spent 2 years in Paris before + her PhD is funded, so she's doing alright and very much appreciating southern France's quality of life :D She also had some good info on visas and stuff! She started crossfit and was very curious about circus. A nice hangout I'd say :D

And then our neighbours have become friendly with a young man (22yo) who is a refugee from Afghanistan. His French is so so, but he speaks Dari, which was mutually understandable since it's a Persian dialect. We didn't try to ask too many personal questions because it was very sadly obvious that some topics were causing him a lot of uncontrolled distress (voice going very soft, eyes looking away, hands clutching each other).

Anyway we just hanged out. After trying to make the game console work to no avail, we opted for a movie. We have a lot of movies in Persian but without French subtitles (for our neighbours). The only movie we had with Persian subtitles was the Dictator (Sacha Baron Cohen)... While I wouldn't say that was exactly the most sensible choice, he did laugh a lot.

I went to get some fresh fruits, almonds and candied fruits. I ate a bit from all 3 and I got an allergic reaction again... I'm not sure what the heck is happening. I can't find a common trigger.

Sun: press to HS again, no P2 this week, I had to skip one session on Tuesday because I was too unwell and press is higher priority. Abs are still not so hot (eg leg raises with straighter legs are still a nope). Again I struggled at 2-3cm. HS endurance was good though, nearly made a full minute on my first attempt (video). I left it at that. I also did some flexibility stuff, and Cirque Physio soft tissue for the back.

Freshness: 3/5 [edit: not on /4] (DOMS and still coughing that virus, I'm honestly hesitating between 2 and 3) Motivation: 4/5

Week review

/* Challenge log */

Persian     6/7 6/7 5/7
Press-to-HS 2/2 2/2 2/2

A bit low on reading in Persian, but I don't really feel bad given the week-end was very Persian-ey. I missed one practice session on Tuesday and did not do any P2. I couldn't catch up with all my flexibility programme either, but that's ok because I did a lot of back-bending in Wed class. No P2, well. Overall not bad, considering I was quite under for a few days.

Mana

1314428382_2019-10-0619-37-28-mana.png.f174f35c0822eb78628ca8777b4c909e.png

The big jump from Tue to Wed is likely due to me visiting my GP, getting a lot of medication and absolutely not wanting to miss classes. I'm curious to see if I'll get again into cases of being quite fresh but not super motivated. It has happened before (because of factors like end of the week weariness / work or admin stress) but with classes, my motivation is now definitely up on my usually "lower" days.

Edited by @mu
typo
  • Like 2

Sounds like a lovely weekend. :)

And awesome handstand too! 

11 hours ago, @mu said:

And then our neighbours have become friendly with a young man (22yo) who is a refugee from Afghanistan. His French is so so, but he speaks Dari, which was mutually understandable since it's a Persian dialect. We didn't try to ask too many personal questions because it was very sadly obvious that some topics were causing him a lot of uncontrolled distress (voice going very soft, eyes looking away, hands clutching each other).

That's awful. :unsure: I hope he'll find some peace. 

• Like 1

On 10/3/2019 at 11:49 PM, @mu said:

Am I becoming a mature assassin? :D

I don't know, I think you might already be one. I'm always SO impressed and inspired by your consistency and tenaciousness in your training. Your tolerance for The Grind is quite remarkable.

My thoughts exactly! You've been very inspiring :)

It's great that you met up with that phd student, such a great opportunity to speak Persian. And an active person too! 

• Like 1

Dude, you're totally mature and disciplined in your training (and a role model for me on that end, tbh). Glad you're liking the acro class and finding some good community ties in your area. I'd write more, but I'm similarly cramming nerd commitments between some work stuff today.

On 10/4/2019 at 2:04 PM, Mad Hatter said:
On 10/4/2019 at 5:49 AM, @mu said:

And I stayed away from trapeze because I just don't fancy trapeze much. I did mostly rope and some silks.

I find it very amusing how all aerial apparatuses are so similar, yet so polarizing! Personally I find trapeze awesome and silks annoying. :P 

I am the same, I love the trapeze but silks are kind of meh.

On 10/7/2019 at 1:48 AM, @mu said:

A very Persian-related week-end

Sounds like a pretty great weekend :)