• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

@mu

Fall wizardry

Thanks guys!

On 10/10/2019 at 11:54 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

I'd write more, but I'm similarly cramming nerd commitments between some work stuff today.

No worry, I'm kinda running around a lot these days, updating is getting difficult!

On 10/11/2019 at 5:23 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I am the same, I love the trapeze but silks are kind of meh.

I like rope a lot, it has a very raw and minimalist aspect to it that I find very attractive. But compared to rope, silks is very comfy, that's nice every so often :D  I like the split bit too, once I did a routine on 2 ropes put together and that was a lot of fun, with a bit more resting points too.

A big offline log unloading, as I had no time to come around this week:

Monday: freshness 3/5 motivation 4/5

Pistols + flexibility practice – so far so good

Tuesday: freshness 4/5 motivation 4/5

Well I felt fresher than I really was! The feeling of bruising around the thoracic cage is gone but upper abs are still a bit broken. Big struggle bus on press, whatever the height, it was one of those days where synchronisation was a bit off.

HS consistency: 17/25 - back to the usual but I had to fight a bit for it. Interestingly abs were mostly annoyed by leg raises (not by press), so I limited intensity on those.

Wednesday: freshness 4/5 motivation 4/5 (again a posteriori a big case of wishful thinking)

Inter-disciplinary class was aerial, but it was mostly beginner level, I only did a couple of interesting things towards the end, but nothing new and fairly low key (catcher stuff and cross-back straddle basing). Which all in all was not a bad thing because I think I might have pulled my left upper abdominal muscle. Towards the end that side was very painful when doing any sort of leg raise (climbs, inverts). I'll go gentle on it now because if it's really pulled, this could take weeks to heal... I'm very much unhappy right now.

Thursday: freshness 2/5 motivation 2/5 quite bummed because I probably won't be able to do much at the aerial class... Shoulders are a bit tired in unusual places but not too bad. Left ab is not happy.

Nice moment of the day: at lunch time, I won the table football championship with a colleague at work, meaning a bottle of wine each and a bunch of restaurant tickets (we will buy breakfast next week for everybody). We worked well, I'm a good defense and he hits goals like mad.

Aerial class was okay, I did not do too much. I really hope that ab is just badly pulled and not actually torn... Most of the class was beginner material, which meant a lot of climb practice and straddle up progressions – not great with an ab injury so I really limited myself on those... Teacher gave me a bit more towards the end, air-based but not too involved ab-wise, nothing new but good to review.

I friended quite a few people - maybe because I mentioned I had a rig at home :D but hey

Friday: freshness 2/5 motivation 3/5 - rest

Today I have a HS workshop. Before I have to run a few errands.

The plan otherwise is to rest my ab as much as possible. No leg raises, no L-sit or V-sit until next Thursday (Wed class will be juggling) because all those are pretty painful. HS are ok, even press oddly enough, the amount of upper ab recruitment is no where near leg raises. It's not bothering me. I will take it EASY in any case. A decade ago, I pull that very same ab when I was weightlifting and I recall it took a while to heal. Generally speaking, my body feels a bit beaten...

Freshness: 2/5 motivation: 4/5 and that's super frustrating!

Bad point of the week: I only did my Persian goal once, oops. I usually read at bed time. We watched a few movies instead and I fell asleep on all of them...

• Like 2

Oh I forgot, during the second aerial class, we also had some dance/groupe movement improv with closed eyes, just following each other by touch, trying to keep a flow going, and then collective breathing. I really enjoyed that bit, and when he said that this is a feeling we should try to carry with our apparatus in the air :)

• Like 1

Oh no, bummer about the ab! I hope it will heal up quickly. 

25 minutes ago, @mu said:

I like rope a lot, it has a very raw and minimalist aspect to it that I find very attractive.

I've never tried, but rope does look awesome! The minimalist aspect as you say + that the routines are often much more cool and interesting. And the dynamic stuff looks badass. It'd be fun to play with at some point. 

2 minutes ago, @mu said:

Oh I forgot, during the second aerial class, we also had some dance/groupe movement improv with closed eyes, just following each other by touch, trying to keep a flow going, and then collective breathing. I really enjoyed that bit, and when he said that this is a feeling we should try to carry with our apparatus in the air :)

I really enjoy things like that too. It's cool that he referred back to the apparatus, that's really nice advice.

10 hours ago, @mu said:

Love that - I don't feel it often, but I love when I have this sense that I'm in a total state of flow with my partner and the floor when I'm dancing in practice.

• Like 1

HS workshop was great! We were mostly women and the teacher commented on that, which I thought was interesting...

I brought my parallettes and shared them, they were used as an “atelier” (we had different work areas floor / blocks / higher wooden block + mattress behind). People liked them, I think I may have started a trend :D The teacher called them "tubes", which took me a while to adjust to :lol:

People were a bit surprised that I was holding so so on the floor but fairly at ease on parallettes. I think the amount of kick power needed on parallettes is a bit off-putting at first (it looks “harder”) but really balance is easier once you're up there.

I worked mostly on my hands though! and I'm starting to feel the back line the way I do on parallettes a little bit :) Fingers action still need work, especially pushing back but I'm starting to "get" it a little.

What came up for me:

- sometimes I have a slight deviation (due to my left arm unlocking a wee bit), and it's a funny one, because the deviation is aligned from feet to hands, I deviate in one block like the Pisa tower :D it's a bit hard to detect. That was great info because it's something I feel sometimes but that I can't quite catch on camera. 

- the teacher also noticed my pike tendency of course and he said that practising full extension kick-ups would help. I tend to find my balance in either straddle or tuck first and then extend. He told me to skip that for now, it's nice to have but it's encouraging my pike, so let's focus on catching my balance from immediate full extension.

- and also practice every so often with a closer hand width. I have a wider stance, and I explained that's the space the bum needs for negatives to L-sit :D But yes I can still practice a closer width when I don't do negatives for instance.

Otherwise there was an awesome gadget that was fixed on a wall ladder, I made a quick drawing because I could not find a pic of this pretty awesome torture instrument on-line:

IMG_20191013_083904.jpg.f26cd112ef29b809811db0824acf8760.jpg

When I let go of the feet, my back went GRRRRRrrr CLUNK, wow :D it's not nice at all but it feels pretty good afterwards.

The whole class was mostly focused on tuck and straddle kick-ups. Interspersed by partner work and some more complicated exercises with spotters.

Everything free standing. There was no wall exercise at all actually, now that I think of it.

I really enjoyed partner work, there was one exercise you do on your feet usually: you have to keep straight while being bounced about between partners. They call it the bottle. And we did that but in HS and that was a lot of fun (and super tiring), in particular going backward while keeping the line.  There was also an exercise to train elevation with scapular pushes and a partner coming and pushing you down while your resist the push.

We also did exercises coming down from blocks with a spotter. And HS to L-sit negatives, unfortunately my ab did not let me do those and I did not insist.

And after 2h30 (workshop was 3h), my body became fairly unresponsive. I am going to FULLY rest for a few days now because my body is just beaten to be honest.

• Like 5

Oh and

Persian: 2/7 pretty bad week, erm

And mana is not looking too good either just now... I can't even quite fathom how I put a couple of 4 in the middle of week on freshness (probably a mind trick). I need REST.

967544086_Screenshotfrom2019-10-1309-12-00.png.10ff837795520eca7b46ded95f0d7b10.png

Cool, the workshop sounds awesome! It's great you got some solid advice and notes and that it was at a good level for you.

I was actually really curious how you'd get on with working on your hands instead of on tubes. (I'm totally going to start using that, much easier to spell! :lol:) It's neat that there was so much transfer, even if it felt harder.

REST WELL NOW!

• Haha 1

On 10/13/2019 at 9:36 AM, @mu said:

I really enjoyed partner work, there was one exercise you do on your feet usually: you have to keep straight while being bounced about between partners. They call it the bottle. And we did that but in HS and that was a lot of fun (and super tiring), in particular going backward while keeping the line.

Wauw that's intense! was everybody able to participate in that? Was the average level quite high? 

Hope you're resting up well :) 

Ahhh, what a cool workshop! Glad your ab strain wasn't too much of a factor for it. I haven't tried rope, but I do think it seems very cool, if painful! :D 

• Haha 1

On 10/15/2019 at 2:33 PM, KB Girl said:

Wauw that's intense! was everybody able to participate in that? Was the average level quite high? 

I felt like average in the class (on hands). Some people had a much better hold, and some people were learning to get confident free-standing. And everybody did the bottle thing, it was very much like on your feet, some keep their hold, others lose it a bit, but it was well spotted and once the fear has settled, it's just like on your feet, only a bit more tiring. But we had no complete beginners. At least the fear bit that can be quite big in adult classes was quite limited I thought.

Total rest Sun-Mon-Tue. On Tuesday I really wanted to handstand but nope I was strong and gave myself a complete rest. Floating between 2-3 on freshness and 3-4 on motivation. But today I really feel the difference in my body and a bit more rest will definitely not hurt.

Wed: juggling class, we went though lots of stuff, not sure I remember everything. Just that apparently I do the "cascade" (the first 3 ball figure) the “wrong” way, instead of throwing inside I throw outside. And honestly my brain is having a hard time doing it the other way. Lots of exercises with 1 ball, 2 balls and clubs (only manage 2 of those). And some contact and throws too. Nice and gentle for my ab. It was a very nice class! I should add some movements like those to my warm-up.

Thur: aerial, left upper ab is still a bit tense at times when I have to raise my legs but it's getting better. I'm pretty sure now I torn it a little.

Again dance/movement quality exercises at first.

Then some conditioning.

Then a climb review and I work on a tic tac descent after a review of last week's transitions.  I practiced more on the right but also did my bad side.

And then I showed some of my ball tricks on silks. It has been a while! It was difficult but I managed to show a few things (a feet climb, an invert climb, chair with a ball throw - if you remember I had practiced that one a few months back in a challenge, a ball hold against the silk with the head, the cloth line figure with the ball stuck between silks, a windmill).  Not always very pretty but the teacher saw what I meant :lol: And he actually started making up a story around it, like having a bag with lots of balls of different sizes, starting with a big one and finishing the routine with tiny paper ones. He is definitely a creative :D

In any case, I'll bring it back and work my technical stuff with it as he suggested. I'm very happy about that bit! That + the juggling class makes me want to do more than just flex conditioning with that ball again. I definitely lost a lot of endurance and knowing where to hold the ball for what bit etc... (synchronization stuff I guess).

I have been so so on Persian, reading but less than usual, or not at all erm. Life is just very busy.

I finally received my account balance from the UK, that took 3 months, but it's in, yoohoo! At least that's sorted. Health insurance is also progressing somewhat, but it's not quite there yet.

Work is still going well so far. My bit of work is joining the life cycle of the main product a bit earlier than expected and it's currently in staging and will go in production next week. And I'm starting work on another bit, also security-related but much more legislation-oriented and I'm spending a lot of time on EU regulations and French policies. So I'm very busy on that front as well because it's a lot of info to swallow to get the starting specs right. Infrastructure is a pretty tough one (but fortunately I don't have to make decisions on that one, just brainstorm options on some little bits).

I'm planning to rest a bit more and maybe do some parallettes this week-end but keep it nice. Perhaps do some on my hands! I bought some HS blocks, not sure when they will arrive.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, @mu said:

And he actually started making up a story around it, like having a bag with lots of balls of different sizes, starting with a big one and finishing the routine with tiny paper ones. He is definitely a creative :D

Nice, sounds he's a good match for you! Do they have showcases, and if they do, I do hope you'll participate!

20 hours ago, @mu said:

Just that apparently I do the "cascade" (the first 3 ball figure) the “wrong” way, instead of throwing inside I throw outside. And honestly my brain is having a hard time doing it the other way.

Haha! I've never heard of someone doing reverse cascade as their natural throws. It might make some later tricks easier for you, as most tricks use outside throws. I feel like once you learn a basic cascade (or in your experience, a reverse cascade) doing the next thing is really tough. You work so hard to get comfortable with the basic, that adding some new throw is just tough. But, once you can do regular and reverse cascade, the other tricks start coming more easily.

And once you get a full juggle with clubs, you will be hooked. It is just so much fun. I don't have enough room to practice clubs easily (family gets upset with the sound of drops, so I can't do it in the early morning with my other juggling practice) so I haven't progressed far, but I love the look and feel of clubs... makes you feel like a rock star.

I've started looking at how to build my own parallettes, so I might be adding that to my handstand practice as well.

On 10/18/2019 at 4:52 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Nice, sounds he's a good match for you! Do they have showcases, and if they do, I do hope you'll participate!

:D

they have show cases, one in December that's more of an internal presentation of "stuff in progress", and another one at the end of the year for the school festival where my aerial class will do something. But as I understand it, it will be collective work, not individual routines. Which I think will be interesting! I like the idea.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:26 PM, GoodDoug said:

I've never heard of someone doing reverse cascade as their natural throws.

ha ha yes, the teacher also looked puzzled :lol:

You work so hard to get comfortable with the basic, that adding some new throw is just tough. But, once you can do regular and reverse cascade, the other tricks start coming more easily.

Good to know, I will work on getting that regular cascade then :D

And once you get a full juggle with clubs, you will be hooked. It is just so much fun. I don't have enough room to practice clubs easily (family gets upset with the sound of drops, so I can't do it in the early morning with my other juggling practice) so I haven't progressed far, but I love the look and feel of clubs... makes you feel like a rock star.

So much! I really enjoyed the weight of clubs, I mean they were plastic clubs, but the asymmetric weight compared to balls was really nice!

I've started looking at how to build my own parallettes, so I might be adding that to my handstand practice as well. 

Awesome! Are you going to make them out of wood or PVC? It seems you have great wood work skills! PVC parallettes are a bit more flexible and possible easier to balance with because they "catch" your balance a little bit. I also find them nicer on the hands (not as rough as wood). But I also like wooden parallettes. The difference is not not huge in any case.

Today some press to HS with a good warm-up including some ball throw and roll work.

Press was ok, from pbarz I could only manage a somewhat dirty semi-puppy & frog press but hey, I pushed though the hardest bit :D

My HS blocks have arrived so I spend the end of the session just playing with them and different grip options. The weird thing at the moment is that I'm pushing very hard on the left one and it's coming up at the front. But not the one on the right. You will see on the video. That probably confirms that I do something funny on my left. I tried to work on not halting mid-way and it's not easy to do at all with all the press work just before.

Wee end of challenge video with presses and blocks at the end:

~ Challenge review ~

Persian

Doing well on the first weeks, and not enough on the last two. For 2 reasons: (1) I'm just not that much into the book I'm reading right now (2) with DOMs and abs, I started falling asleep very quickly at night, which is usually when I read.

Maybe I could move that reading time to after lunch during work days when I missed it in the evening. And I will start another book...

Levitation charms & anti-gravity spells

Did ok and the last 2 weeks, I only practiced press to HS once a week (mix of HS workshop and required rest on the last week). I don't think I have progressed but I haven't lost either. However I do feel some awkwardness from practising more often on my hands or blocks (classes, workshop). And on hands or blocks my fluency is super limited, like I'm nearly back to the beginning of my parallettes HS training. But there is some peer pressure now to get on my hands or blocks :D which I did not have when training alone at all. Let's see how that goes. Doing both can only make my HS foundation more solid, right? and there are exercises that I cannot do on parallettes (going up and down from blocks for instance, I mean it's possibly doable on parallettes but it would be too hard to start from :lol: ). And vice versa, some other exercises are easier to train as progressions on parallettes (negatives to L-sit).

Mana mana-gement

1971605864_Screenshotfrom2019-10-2010-29-30.png.26932f3fdfea21aeec1fd9cfa376e7b9.png

Tough one. First a mean cold, and then a strain in my left upper ab. And lots of DOMs. Despite all my good wishes to take it easy and rest as needed. I still did too much and only rested because I had no other choice really... I'm a bit annoying that I got injured. I still find it hard to control my excitement...

And that's the second point, What I learned is that I'm usually more motivated than fresh. And my idea of “freshness” is a little bit skewed by my level of motivation... But that also means that I can get rid of some of the doubts that I have sometimes about skipping a session. It's more likely that I am simply tired as opposed to lazy / unmotivated.

The other thing that is coming to mind now that I am training with people mostly in their 20-30s is that well, I'm 40 and I'm starting to feel it. Fitness-wise I'm actually doing ok comparatively, my flexibility is also better than average oddly enough – I was really surprised by that to be honest. But I need more time to recover for instance. I'm a bit slower at times.

There are also things that I will only do on my own terms and I don't care about peer pressure or what the teacher says. I'm not being rebellious, I just discretely let those go. Like doing sit-ups for ab training, please... Or exercises where I feel that I might twist an ankle or a wrist by going too fast on a mat that is too soft (a student actually got injured because of that, it's not just a random fear of mine).

But the "resting" week (I still biked to work, went to 2 classes and did a HS session) felt good, my body is definitely feeling better. The last few months I have had deloads but not as "deloading" as before. I should definitely go back to that. And take it easy on that ab until it heals fully (it's getting much better).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, @mu said:

they have show cases, one in December that's more of an internal presentation of "stuff in progress", and another one at the end of the year for the school festival where my aerial class will do something. But as I understand it, it will be collective work, not individual routines. Which I think will be interesting! I like the idea.

Sounds awesome!

2 hours ago, @mu said:

And that's the second point, What I learned is that I'm usually more motivated than fresh.

Heh, that doesn't sound familiar at all. :P

2 hours ago, @mu said:

The other thing that is coming to mind now that I am training with people mostly in their 20-30s is that well, I'm 40 and I'm starting to feel it. Fitness-wise I'm actually doing ok comparatively, my flexibility is also better than average oddly enough – I was really surprised by that to be honest. But I need more time to recover for instance. I'm a bit slower at times.

I'd say give it some time. It might simply be a teething period where you're getting used to training at the class tempo. It hasn't been that long since you started class, it's a lot of new stuff and a lot of life stuff and now you suddenly don't have quite the same flexibility anymore in terms of scheduling and deloading etc on a macro scale, but also how you structure your training on a more micro scale. 

As for you being more flexible than the average - I'm not surprised in the slightest!

2 hours ago, @mu said:

There are also things that I will only do on my own terms and I don't care about peer pressure or what the teacher says. I'm not being rebellious, I just discretely let those go. Like doing sit-ups for ab training, please... Or exercises where I feel that I might twist an ankle or a wrist by going too fast on a mat that is too soft (a student actually got injured because of that, it's not just a random fear of mine).

You do you. :) 

On 10/20/2019 at 5:07 AM, @mu said:

Despite all my good wishes to take it easy and rest as needed. I still did too much and only rested because I had no other choice really... I'm a bit annoying that I got injured. I still find it hard to control my excitement...

... But that also means that I can get rid of some of the doubts that I have sometimes about skipping a session. It's more likely that I am simply tired as opposed to lazy / unmotivated.

giphy.gif

It's so hard to manage the excitement versus the fatigue! But it sounds like you're getting a better handle on it. :D

On 10/20/2019 at 5:07 AM, @mu said:

But the "resting" week (I still biked to work, went to 2 classes and did a HS session) felt good, my body is definitely feeling better. The last few months I have had deloads but not as "deloading" as before. I should definitely go back to that. And take it easy on that ab until it heals fully (it's getting much better).

YEAH. Real deload! 

2 hours ago, raptron said:

It's so hard to manage the excitement versus the fatigue! But it sounds like you're getting a better handle on it. :D

yes, the tough one I think is less excitement because of fatigue vs feeling lazy?

I think I'm going to move to a battle log because I always have the same goals these days, and I'm not sure I will be able to keep up with the challenge pace. I need to move to a custom time dimension :D 

On 10/20/2019 at 2:05 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I'd say give it some time. It might simply be a teething period where you're getting used to training at the class tempo. It hasn't been that long since you started class, it's a lot of new stuff and a lot of life stuff and now you suddenly don't have quite the same flexibility anymore in terms of scheduling and deloading etc on a macro scale, but also how you structure your training on a more micro scale. 

I hadn't seen your message somehow! You're right, I should give it some time. Until DOMs come down a wee bit. The aerial class is relatively easy to integrate because I know exactly where it's going to hurt :D I mean past the first weeks of oops I overdid it :lol: the Wed class is a bit harder to predict!

On 10/20/2019 at 2:05 PM, Mad Hatter said:

As for you being more flexible than the average - I'm not surprised in the slightest!

That's a bit odd to me, so ok I train it a fair amount and I have some results for it, but that's it. I wouldn't say I'm particularly talented in that area? I'm not a "natural" for sure :lol: It felt like people who are otherwise fit don't really bother with basic flexibility - apart maybe 2 people doing some yoga (over 2 classes).

On 10/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, @mu said:

That's a bit odd to me, so ok I train it a fair amount and I have some results for it, but that's it. I wouldn't say I'm particularly talented in that area? I'm not a "natural" for sure :lol: It felt like people who are otherwise fit don't really bother with basic flexibility - apart maybe 2 people doing some yoga (over 2 classes).

Well training for flexibility is not that fun, it's slow (but not as cool as handstands) even non-existent if you don't understand how to train, which most people don't, it's very uncomfortable... For most people it's not even necessary, you can get away with a lot. (Though some basic mobility wouldn't hurt for many people) Still, I'd expect more of the aerialists to train at least a little!