GoodDoug on a cultural exchange

GoodDoug

GoodDoug the half-ogre Ranger was assessing his situation. Here was was running through enemy lines with a small war band of orcs. He and another Ranger, a half-orc named Lodrok, were part of a peace delegation. Turns out the orcs were looking to ally with the Rebellion. The enemy had been leaning heavily on this tribe and rather than fight alone, they realized that teaming up with the guilds of the Rebellion would be good for both of them. They had tracked the ambush that had been set for GoodDoug's team, and watched. Their leader, Nash-ka, wanted to make sure these Rebels would be strong enough to deserve their help. After GoodDoug had helped take down a T. rex and the other Rangers had fought well against overwhelming odds, Nash-ka and his warband stepped in to help. The Ranger party leader had negotiated a beginning truce, he had sent GoodDoug and Lodrok in exchange for two warriors from the Orc war party. 
GoodDoug pushed his pace, he wasn't in the best shape, and he had a feeling these orcs would be pushing him to his limits. He realized that his job amongst these orcs was to learn their ways and to show the strength and cunning of the Rangers. He needed to prove to the orc tribe that they were worthy allies.
He smiled at the challenge to come.

iu-2.jpeg.9b0160fed0c9a148f256e9cfe2b866b7.jpeg

Maintain:

• Juggling every day
  • Food tracking every day
  • Handstand training every day

These are habits I am into that I want to maintain. 
For juggling, I also hope to add a new trick, the full shower which I've never really gotten good at. It is one of those tricks that you feel like you should know and I'm embarrassed for not having it down. I've tried to practice it a few times, but haven't stuck with it. I think I can add some practice with it every day.

• This will be good to show the Orc tribe my cleverness.

Food tracking has been a good habit, but I need to stay focussed, I am finding myself getting lazy about logging... need to make sure I stay strong on it. On top of logging, I will try to increase my protein back to at least 100g a day.

• I need to hunt and eat with the orcs.

Handstands are getting so close to actually feeling like I can do them. I think the consistency I've developed is good, but need to find some time each week to do a longer session and push myself a bit.

• More cleverness as well as some combat training with the orcs? I'll make it work with the story.

Practice:

• Duolingo every day
  • GMB Elements 6 days a week
  • Make lunch every day
  • Work on puzzle boxes at least three times a week

I need to bump up/add some elements that will become are or already becoming habits. Duolingo is something I've been working on and I feel like it is helping me not only with the language I am studying (French, alas, Duolingo doesn't have Black Speech or Orcish)

• I need to learn the tongue and customs of my new allies.

GMB Elements is my reward for doing so well on Mobility work last challenge. I am looking forward to it.

• Orcs have a strong druidic tradition, maybe I can learn some animal forms...

I have started bringing my lunch to work every day. Really this is more about not buying lunch at the cafeteria at work. I did the math about how much I spend at the cafeteria a month and have decided to instead invest that money.

• I need to fend for myself among the orcs, they have a tradition that if you don't hunt, you don't eat...

I sanded a bunch of blanks for my puzzle boxes, now I need to spend the time to cut them all out, glue them up and get them finished. I have 16 I need to do and I can probably finish them all if I spend a few nights a week on it as well as any weekend time I have open.

• I need to help around the camp where I am staying and even give gifts to show the Rebellion's a good fit for the Orcs.

Push:

• Running twice a week
  • Rings once a week
  • Lift twice during the challenge

Here is where the real orc work comes in. I need to push myself, and these Orcs are the ones to do it. They don't suffer depressed fools worrying about what others think about their lives. They go out and f*&^king live. So that is what I must do.
Running is something I like to do, and have been able to do a little bit this last challenge. My daughter has been a true orc friend and forced me to go the last couple of times and she really pushes me. I'm still way too slow for her, but my pace is getting faster each time. Now I need to do it with or without her.

• Orcs must run and hunt before they are allowed to eat with the clan, the same goes for me.

Rings is something I really want to get into, but I just can't seem to push myself to do it consistently. I will aim for one workout a week where I at least touch the rings.

• Climbing is part of hunting with the clan.

Lifting is something I want to get back into, but I don't want to burn out by being too RangerBrain™ this challenge. So, I will shoot for getting into the gym a couple of times this challenge, loading the bar really light and working for technique rather than weight.

• I need to prove to my new allies that I am as strong as my size would indicate.

Ponder:

• Re-read The Obstacle is The Way before the challenge is over
  • Meditate on the bus every day I take the bus (except when I don't)

More druid-y stuff. I love that book and need to re-read it every once in a while to remember to not be a whiner and to take life at face value.

• Embrace the Orc culture of living life honestly and dieing with your wounds to the fore.

I had good success meditating on the bus and want to keep at it. It is some good time to focus and practice beginning again. But, I want to be able to do Duolingo or work on the bus if I need to do that to keep up with life. Meditation shouldn't bring more stress into your life.

• While in the midst of the savage orcs, remember my civilized roots.

This may look like a lot, but really, most of it is maintaining habits while adding a couple of things. I need to keep these habit things as part of my challenge or I won't do them. Stupid brain, needs this extrinsic motivation to do shit.

• Like 8

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Hey hey!  It's your mousey ranger stalker here.  

Following!

Man you've got so much on your list, but you seem so calm and zen about it.  Man I could take a few chapters outta that book!

• Like 1

Level 75 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Another great challenge. Elements is super fun and a great way to work on your mobility combined with strength. What are you working on with the rings? Maybe if you picked one skill that you were doing you  might be more motivated. Then again, you have a lot of other stuff you are doing, so if you don't get to them I wouldn't sweat it.

• Like 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

18 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

but I don't want to burn out by being too RangerBrain™ this challenge

It took me...well, it took me years to really get RangerBrain™ under control, so, kudos to you for being aware of "All The Shiny Things" lol.

18 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Juggling every day

This is an awesome goal! 

Image result for juggling gif

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

19 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Man you've got so much on your list, but you seem so calm and zen about it.

The key is the word "seem"

19 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

What are you working on with the rings? Maybe if you picked one skill that you were doing you  might be more motivated.

Doing the Muscle Up progression. Really, all I need to do is work on pull-ups and dips. That shouldn't be hard, but it is. So, I'll just be low key about it this challenge.

10 hours ago, @mu said:

In to share progress & frustration in the world of HS :D

Thnx! 

10 hours ago, Salinger said:

My housemate juggled some fruit randomly last night and i thought of you

Was it the juggling or the fruit? ;)

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following Old Friend.

Thnx!

1 hour ago, doctorake said:

I am curious about these puzzle boxes, they don't look like this do they?

No, here is the one I finished for my son's birthday:

Spoiler

IMG_2810.thumb.JPG.7402d1d817bc2ca0c954e17f5d2ca87f.JPG

IMG_1574.thumb.jpg.b2367bd3747c646e457879cc7ba3948d.jpg

1 hour ago, SheriffWolfpool said:

It took me...well, it took me years to really get RangerBrain™ under control, so, kudos to you for being aware of "All The Shiny Things" lol.

Hahahahaha, you think I have it "under control," so funny ;)

But really, I am aware and that is the start. And I can't juggle flaming chainsaws... yet.

• Like 5

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

The run back to the orc camp was quick, even with the slow half-ogre, they made good time. Lodrok was teaching GoodDoug some basic Orcish words and phrasing, getting him ready for their time with the orcs. He was brought first to the chief, a large, older orc named Gromm'on-kan. GoodDoug understood a little of what was said to him, something about welcome and healing. He responded with the new phrase he had learned, "Thank you for your time, I hope I can help your tribe." The old chief smiled, amused by the halting pronunciation and waved him away. Nash-ka then took GoodDoug and Lodrok to a spot near one of the campfires and told them that here is where they would sleep. Then he asked GoodDoug to follow him.

Nash-ka took him to one of the few tents the orcs used, inside was an adolescent orc with a nasty scratch. From first look, GoodDoug could see it was infected, likely a magical scratch or bite on her thigh. Nash-ka explained, "This is my sister's child, she was following a war party and got bit by a jenzhar. She killed the beast, but this wound is not healing. You say you are a healer, can you help her?"

GoodDoug looked closely at the wound, the child flinched only a little when he moved he leg to get a better look. Without treatment, it would get worse, it was definitely a magical bite, like the kind he had experienced before, likely from a raptor dinosaur. It was a testament to this one's skill that she could take it down.

"I'll need some cloth and hot water to clean the infection, after that I have a wrap that should let her heal. It will take at least a week before she can start running on it, but I think we got to it soon enough." GoodDoug smiled at the child and said what he hoped was "You'll be okay," in Orcish.

Nash-ka visibly relaxed, he cared more than he wanted to let on. It felt good to already be able to help their new allies.

So, zero week... the time where we try out our new challenge plan and see how it fits.

Yesterday I went running in the morning with my daughter. I had planned to start the GMB Elements in the morning, but the night before, my daughter had asked if we could go running in the morning. I said, "Sure, if you can get up that early, we will go."

She got up, so we went running. Again, she is in much better shape than I am, and so she slows down for me, but it is good because it pushes me. I did the run at a 9:59/mile pace which is good for me right now (not where I was when I was running more regularly)

I was able to get my Elements in that evening, and did everything I set out to do. So, that proves that I can do my program, even with an unexpected workout thrown in.

This morning I did day 2 of the Elements and that was simple enough. After spending so much time learning the warmups yesterday, it was much quicker today.

Also, got in my juggling practice this morning and worked on my shower. I made some good progress on it. I have to remember to break it down and not jump ahead on these new skills. I do much better when I do that.

Otherwise, I'm doing well... but it is the first part of zero week!

• Like 6

Healers Brigade

Current

9 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Yesterday I went running in the morning with my daughter. I had planned to start the GMB Elements in the morning, but the night before, my daughter had asked if we could go running in the morning. I said, "Sure, if you can get up that early, we will go."

She got up, so we went running. Again, she is in much better shape than I am, and so she slows down for me, but it is good because it pushes me. I did the run at a 9:59/mile pace which is good for me right now (not where I was when I was running more regularly)

I was able to get my Elements in that evening, and did everything I set out to do. So, that proves that I can do my program, even with an unexpected workout thrown in.

That's a very nice one! Consistency does not necessarily mean following a plan rigidly to the letter. Actually I think you have to be flexible and lenient enough to ensure long-term consistency.

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

On 9/9/2019 at 4:50 PM, GoodDoug said:

This may look like a lot, but really, most of it is maintaining habits while adding a couple of things.

I get that. I always feel like my challenges are miles long, but (for me) I'm afraid if i stop tracking an important or significant habit I won't prioritize it any longer.  

Good luck and happy challenge!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

On 9/9/2019 at 4:50 PM, GoodDoug said:

My daughter has been a true orc friend and forced me to go the last couple of times and she really pushes me.

Love this...both that your daughter was helping you out and that you called her an "orc friend" very cute.

Really like the way you mapped all your goals onto surviving with the orcs.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Did Week 1 Day 3 of Elements and I'm now doing that thing that happens when you start any new strength program: I can't help but hold my back straighter and strut around like I'm now TOTALLY JACKED!

Next thing you know I'll be watching my macros and flexing when I walk past any reflective surface... which is not a bad thing, it is all good and positive feedback ;)

• Like 7

Healers Brigade

Current

GoodDoug was hungry, not starving, but hungry in a way he hadn't been in a long while. The Orc tribes had a rule, you couldn't eat unless you got something hunting that week. So there he was, part of a small hunting party, stalking a wild boar. He needed to come up with the kill this time, but there was another orc that was hungry as well. The half-ogre's stomach growled loudly, he hoped it wouldn't scare away any prey. That was when he realized the forest was too quiet. He made the Orc hand signal for "Be careful" and listened closely. Focussing his concentration to take in everything around him. He felt like the hunger pangs were sharpening his focus. They should be hearing the boar they were tracking at the very least...

Then he saw it, the reptilian eye watching them from the undergrowth, it had to be a raptor. And where there was one, there was bound to be a pack. He quickly gave the hand sign for enemy and the sign for plural, drew his sword and leapt toward the hiding raptor.

The ensuing melee was quick and bloody. The raptors, having lost the element of surprise, leapt from cover, but the orcs' vicious counterattack proved too much for them. There were six raptors the orcs and the half-ogre killed and evidence of a couple more that had fled the scene.

The hunting party leader smiled and in Orcish said, "That was a successful hunt!"

Everyone got to work dressing the raptors for the larder. GoodDoug wouldn't be hungry tonight.

Doing okay in Zero week. For food, I am tracking religiously and have made it above 100g of protein every day. I am still doing juggling every day and I am doing handstand work, even if it is minimal. I've done my language work in Duolingo every day (don't break the streak!) and have been making my lunch every day I go into the office. On top of that, I'm now on Day 5 of Week 1 of GMB Elements. Today was the first day that it felt like a workout while I was doing it. The other days I feel my muscles afterwards, but this time I felt like I was getting a little bit of a sweat on. It felt good.

I need to get another run in this week, I am ready to bring that back into my routine. Time to start chasing T. rexes again, I think.

The beast master of the Enemy reeled. The reports were true, the half-ogre had somehow survived getting eaten by the T. rex all those weeks ago. His master would be furious with him. The enemy needed this half-ogre gone.

As well, now he was with the Orc clan that had been giving them so much trouble. Were they allying with the guilds? That would make a tough situation even worse. It was time to bring out the big beasts again.

• Like 6

Healers Brigade

Current

Following along! Love the narrative, and looks like week zero's going well.

• Like 1

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - The 80/20 Rule2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

19 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

have made it above 100g of protein every day.

That's awesome.  I struggle with this so much.  Any tips or pointers??

Looks like you're really tuned into your goals and kicking ass.  Great job!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

That's awesome.  I struggle with this so much.  Any tips or pointers??

The main thing for me is starting off with some protein powder in the morning and just trying to be aware throughout the day. I do better with making sure I do protein powder by not worrying any more about trying to so it right after a workout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Healers Brigade

Current