• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Psykamaholik

Challenge accepted!

[Respawn sound and visual effects go here]

Greetings fellow interwebs dwellers, I have returned to have a crack at this again!

The plan is to finish it this time though and not just fall off the map again, I also feel much better prepared for this attempt.

Backstory:

Having done martial arts on and off for many years and discovering crossfit several years ago I have proven myself to be consistently inconsistent with fitness regimes. More recently this year I have actually been consistent with crossfit for 6 months now smashing PRs. Also back on the martial arts training for 5 months consistently, even with a tag (stripe) grading done after being back for about a month. Currently starting down the possibility of going for my next belt (the trendy black one) early November which is where this challenge comes in perfectly timed! Pushups have always been a weak point for me and I need to be able to do 100 of them unbroken at the start of said grading followed by many more in less amounts at a time at random intervals (I think you can all see where this is heading now).

Overall Campaign:

Lose body fat & build muscle through gradual permanent changes.

Level up goal:

Level up my belt to black.

Support Mission 1:

Train pushups 3x per week stopping 1 short of failure with an end goal of 100.

I have just recovered from an injury preventing me from basically doing them at all, so my initial rep count will likely be low. I'm hoping it won't take long to build it up though. Stopping 1 short of failure because I'm not a fan of faceplanting.... How unadventurous, I know.... This supports the Campaign by building strength in my arms specifically (possibly mentally too?)

Support Mission 2:

Run 5km once per week. 

6 months ago the thought of running 5m made me exhausted, a week ago I did my first 5km run with a time of 38:04 with hills involved..... long hills.... I feel this will help my endurance for the grading while working at the Campaign goal of losing body fat.

Support Mission 3:

Track my nutrition.

This is somewhere I fall over constantly, I just kind of lose interest/motivation to enter everything into MFP. However, from previous experience it is a great way to minimise eating junk because I don't want to make a record of the fact I ate junk! Supports the Campaign by ensuring the right stuff is going in to help the other 2 support missions.

I plan to do these things on top of my already established crossfit and martial arts schedule, I may even do the pushups or runs at those training sessions depending how I am going for time. Time is my enemy being a shift worker with forward rotating shifts (day, arvo and night shifts included every week). Finishing on time is a rarity for me too. I will try to post updates every day or at least every other day depending what shifts I'm doing. The challenge starts on day 1 of 3 night shifts for me so that could be my first hurdle to overcome.

Anywho, I've rambled on enough for now.

• Like 3

Your quests look good.  Welcome to NF!   I'll be peeking in at your pushup training updates in particular.  It'll be fun to see you reach that 100 pushup goal.  :)

On 9/10/2019 at 4:22 AM, Psykamaholik said:

Currently starting down the possibility of going for my next belt (the trendy black one) early November which is where this challenge comes in perfectly timed! Pushups have always been a weak point for me and I need to be able to do 100 of them unbroken at the start of said grading followed by many more in less amounts at a time at random intervals (I think you can all see where this is heading now).

Oooh, black belt sounds like fun. Except for the 100 pushups, that's madness, pure madness. I can do three. Which art exactly are you practicing? 

Re: nutrition tracking. If you're tracking just to nudge you away from junk and don't need detailed calorie and macro information, maybe you could try one of those apps where you photograph your meals (I tried Ate, it was fine)? It's just a bit quicker than entering things manually into a system like MFP.

8 hours ago, Hazard said:

Your quests look good.  Welcome to NF!   I'll be peeking in at your pushup training updates in particular.  It'll be fun to see you reach that 100 pushup goal.  :)

Thanks Hazard, I'm not sure if 100 pushups will be fun, but it will feel damn good to have done them!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oooh, black belt sounds like fun. Except for the 100 pushups, that's madness, pure madness. I can do three. Which art exactly are you practicing? 

Re: nutrition tracking. If you're tracking just to nudge you away from junk and don't need detailed calorie and macro information, maybe you could try one of those apps where you photograph your meals (I tried Ate, it was fine)? It's just a bit quicker than entering things manually into a system like MFP.

I train in Zen Do Kai, it's an Australian Freestyle martial art that will have been around for 50 years next year. The basic concept of it is "The best of everything in progression" so it borrows bits a pieces from multiple styles and there is constant reflection to see what can be done to improve the style.

Nutrition tracking is really a 2 pronged attack, like I mentioned it makes me check myself before eating junk but also gives me a reference point of how much energy I'm eating which can be compared to if there are any changes in my weight and/or performance at crossfit/ZDK.

• Like 1

That looks great! Thanks for making it km instead of miles, makes it a lot easier!

I am not sure how often you look at your watch or how well you can estimate your own pace, but it could be helpful if you aim for 7:20 min or 7:30min per km right from the beginning. If you hold a constant pace this will not only improve your overall time. Most importantly, it makes the run more enjoyable as you don't have to slow down that quickly. It's a great thing to look at your watch after the second km and see you managed to stay at your pace, and it can really motivate you!

Nevertheless, good job dude, keep it going!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2019 at 7:22 AM, Psykamaholik said:

I did my first 5km run with a time of 38:04 with hills involved..... long hills....

That's not a bad time for a hilly 5k. If I run flat, my 5k average is just shy of 30 minutes, but I live in West Virginia so... we have a lot of hills and mountains. Have you ever run any trails? This will also build your endurance.

Good luck this challenge, and let me know if I can help in any way.

3 hours ago, Quickie said:

That looks great! Thanks for making it km instead of miles, makes it a lot easier!

I am not sure how often you look at your watch or how well you can estimate your own pace, but it could be helpful if you aim for 7:20 min or 7:30min per km right from the beginning. If you hold a constant pace this will not only improve your overall time. Most importantly, it makes the run more enjoyable as you don't have to slow down that quickly. It's a great thing to look at your watch after the second km and see you managed to stay at your pace, and it can really motivate you!

Nevertheless, good job dude, keep it going!

Thanks for the encouragement. I totally see where you are coming from with keeping a constant pace, the hills make it a bit of a challenge though. I do find myself correcting form a bit along the way which picks up pace for a while too (not looking down at the ground, making sure to use glutes, swing arms forward instead of diagonal)

1 hour ago, WolfDreamer said:

That's not a bad time for a hilly 5k. If I run flat, my 5k average is just shy of 30 minutes, but I live in West Virginia so... we have a lot of hills and mountains. Have you ever run any trails? This will also build your endurance.

Good luck this challenge, and let me know if I can help in any way.

I am very new to running as something to do by choice. (As opposed to just part of a crossfit WOD) so I havent done any trails yet. In the past couple of months I've gone from 400m to 800m to 2.4km to 5km and thats probably about my limit for the time being. This was literally only my 2nd 5km run ever.

My plan is to just keep running around my block in the same direction weekly for this challenge and see what progress happens. Just needed a reference for km times since the first time I did it my watch was working in miles for that page of data.

I've attached an elevation profile so you can all see that the pace slows where the hills go up! Haha

Screenshot_2019-09-14-23-44-18.png

• Like 3

Hi, and welcome back! I am respawning too and I can really relate to some of the things you said, though I’ve never made it as far as nearly black belt, so way to go! Totally rooting for your 100 press-ups. Sounds amazing! 

Heya, I hope you're having a great day!  I want to read about your push up progress as we go through the challenge, I feel like I should be doing them as well. 100 would be a challenge for sure!  I like seeing the running stats too.  Cheers! 

Thanks for the encouragement!

So day 1 I tracked food intake and I'm counting my crossfit WOD as my pushup training for the day. 

The Chief:

5 x 3min rounds of

3 x power cleans at 50kg (scaled from 60kg)

6 x pushups

9 x air squats

I completed 11 full rounds plus 3 power cleans, so that was a total of 66 pushups in the whole workout, 3 of which I had to go to incline. Rounds 1 & 2 I could do all 6 unbroken, but from round 3 onwards there was pausing between some.

When I got to try for pushups in round 12 it was just faceplant city haha.

And yes.... My arms are sore today.

More pushups will likely happen thursday so I can recover from this and I've got 2 more night shifts meaning not much happens besides work and sleep.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Psykamaholik said:

When I got to try for pushups in round 12 it was just faceplant city haha.

I now what you mean, but on the end of a hard workout, this feeling is somehow a great one! Good job on getting 11 beforehand!

1 hour ago, Psykamaholik said:

Rounds 1 & 2 I could do all 6 unbroken, but from round 3 onwards there was pausing between some.

If you keep practising it will be more and more rounds where you can do 6 in a row. Just be clear that better form ALWAYS wins. So it's a lot more effective to take breaks instead of pushing through all push-ups with a horrible technique!

I hope your nightshift/sleep days don't decrease your motivation and you get right back into the challenge after. Good work!

Cheers Quickie

I'm thinking that unless the crossfit workout is pushup heavy for the day I'll do an EMOM (every mimute on the minute) of pushups for 10 minutes with the aim to do 10 unbroken each set. Also when I need to rest in a set thats as many as I will do.

I think this will give a good measure of where my unbroken max is plus it pushes towards the goal of 100.

About to head off to work now, if I wake up early again tomorrow I'll do my pushups then instead of thursday when I'll be in zombie mode

• Like 2

Kept track of all my food intake yesterday but looks like the pushup session will have to be tomorrow as my triceps are still so sore I can't even do one right now. oops.... haha

If they are still painful tomorrow I'll scale them to incline pushups so that I can still get the work done and by working them it should help with the soreness recovery.

Last night shift in a couple of hours then nearly a week off! woo!

The run is scheduled in for saturday morning as well as the final pushup session for the week sometime saturday too.

I know we are all excited about tables and data and stuff so I'll do an end of week summary one of some sort as well as an end of challenge one.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Psykamaholik said:

I know we are all excited about tables and data and stuff so I'll do an end of week summary one of some sort as well as an end of challenge one.

Oh hell yes, cant wait to see it!

On 9/18/2019 at 9:06 PM, Quickie said:

Oh hell yes, cant wait to see it!

Well wait no more for running comparisons!

2075586523_Screenshot_2019-09-14-19-18-572.thumb.png.ad8960c000d9e2bd9c05c7f496b04a26.png

Benchmark:

20190914.thumb.jpg.094191f96359de3e617d24f8a6e3a6bc.jpg

Today's run:

20190921.thumb.jpg.c5fc944d44b15e0241deabf22d3aab21.jpg

Not sure what's happening where the pace line divebombs off the bottom of the graph, I think it may just be a GPS glitch because it's happened in two different places and I definitely didn't stop at any point. I'm also a bit skeptical of my heart rate reading hitting 194BPM on today's run.... 180ish? sure! but I'm pretty sure 194 was my watch tripping out.

I'm really pleased with today's result of knocking a few seconds off the total time because I'm feeling pretty beat up and tired today. My last run of 6 shifts added up to about 75 hours and up til yesterday I'd had about 3 days worth of sleep over 5 days. Lucky for me last week was an anomaly because I swapped some shifts around. I''ve still done two crossfit sessions and one martial arts session this week and feeling every bit of it!

As for my other challenge missions, tracking is on track with logging everything this week so far and just to up things some more I've signed up for what is being called a 10 week nutrition challenge at crossfit but I've been told is more of 10 weeks of brainstorming how to improve nutrition for the long term, not something to do for 10 weeks then revert back because it's too hard.

Pushups I still haven't done a second session yet, triceps are still a bit tender now (6 days and counting) so this was definitely an overuse pain, not just regular DOMS. I'll give some a try later today and I'm calling tomorrow a rest day (but still tracking food). There were pushups involved at my martial arts session the other night, but not enough that I'd call it a specific pushup workout, there was much legwork though (oh so much!). Otherwise back to the pushup grind monday as I feel I should be recovered by then.

• Like 2

Week 1 Summary:

Pushup workouts:    1/3 due to overdoing it on day one (true to my style of doing things), current total at 66 in one workout with a max run of 6

Calorie counting:      7/7  Kept it reasonable each day and as consistent as I could be with my shifts and zombie day

5km run:                    1/1 PR Really impressed I beat my PR by 4 seconds as I was feeling so beat up and tired I was just focusing on not slowing to a walk pace

Overall a good outcome, hopefully now that the overwork injury is gone things will improve on the pushup front. Also found a youtube video that has me concentrating on better form now by comparing it to bench press form.

• Like 1

Part week update: 

calorie tracking is still running at 100%

run is scheduled for saturday between martial arts training and sleeping before night shift

crossfit workouts on monday and wednesday both involved many burpees so I'm counting them as pushup work, monday I did 48 throughout the workout and wednesday was around 55 with many of them having questionable form, no idea what tomorrow's workout is but if it involves pushups and/or burpees that would make things a bit easier on time.

So far on track to have a 100% week!

• Like 1

Week 2 Summary:

Pushup workouts:    4/3 3 crossfit workouts that were pushup intensive then one martial arts session that began with 5 x 20 pushups, crunches, squats

Calorie counting:      7/7  Seems to be the easiest one to keep going and doing it's job preventing me from eating the delicious looking treats at work

5km run:                    1/1 PR Had to do this without music because the only clean shorts had no pockets for my MP3 player, but still took heaps of time off my PR

Overachieved this week, still have much work to do with the pushups though as they are still nowhere near where I need them to be. I'm going to modify the pushup requirement of my challenge now

Support Mission 1 UPDATE:

Train pushups 3x per week stopping 1 short of failure with an end goal of 100.

Twice daily pushups of a single set until rest is needed

The idea of this is the "grease the groove"  concept where doing a repeated activity daily gets the body used to it and can perform it more easily. But only at a very light intensity compared to the other workouts of repeated sets to challenge the muscles

• Like 2

So I know this challenge has well and truly finished, plus I kind of dropped off the map and got slack with updates. But for those that might still be interested

I got my black belt on the weekend.

I didn't get to the 100 pushups because my elbow injury came back to haunt me, but I made up for them with squats. But I graded and got the belt!