• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WolfDreamer

Burpees, Books, and Brainwork

8 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

I just know my final boss is going to be something like an ant, and I’ll feel bad about crushing it totally. 

Also, I forgot...

Though the graphics and sound track are pretty decent, the programming is buggy/glitchy and the controls are not as intuitive or responsive as we'd ever like. And, if you're gonna crush that ant you're probably going to have to fork over an extra $15.99 for the magnifying glass or the rolled up newspaper weapon upgrade needed to win. It's pay to win in here.

Addit: If any one thinks I sound pessimistic, I'm not. I'm just practicing stoicism. Just, where most stoics would give up a luxury or comfort like deserts or walking around in winter without a coat for a little while, I suspend all hope. That way if something nice happens later I'll appreciate it more.

Addit2: Also, this game is lousy with advertisements.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Also, I forgot...

Though the graphics and sound track are pretty decent, the programming is buggy/glitchy and the controls are not as intuitive or responsive as we'd ever like. And, if you're gonna crush that ant you're probably going to have to fork over an extra $15.99 for the magnifying glass or the rolled up newspaper weapon upgrade needed to win. It's pay to win in here.

That’s the truth. 

Addit: If any one thinks I sound pessimistic, I'm not. I'm just practicing stoicism. Just, where most stoics would give up a luxury or comfort like deserts or walking around in winter without a coat for a little while, I suspend all hope. That way if something nice happens later I'll appreciate it more.

You sound like Jessie. 

You can avoid most of them with an upgraded subscription, though. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Also, I forgot...

This might be the most accurate thing I have seen all day.

4 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

You can avoid most of them with an upgraded subscription, though.

Nope. I refuse.

Update, Week 1, Day 2:

respect-the-burpees.jpg

Burpees:

• 10 in the morning while outside with the dogs
  • forgot about the last 20; no excuses, just a busy evening and forgot

giphy.gif

Books:

• read another chapter of IT
  • listened to more of The Pale Horseman on my commute home

giphy.gif 

Brainwork:

• got into a deep theological and philosophical discussion with some amazing people, a discussion I am hoping will continue further as we dig deeper.

giphy.gif

BONUS:

• went for a 4 mile run down some backroads I had never been down before; my pace was slow, but I managed just over 400 feet of elevation gain and explored an area of town I had never seen before, even though I grew up around here.
  • Like 4

Week 1, Day 3:

burpee.gif?resize=640,425

Burpees:

• 10 in the late evening after my allergy headache eased a bit
  • 10 before bed (these were the hardest)

giphy.gif

Books:

• continuing with Stephen King's IT; I'll likely be on this book for a while since it's really, really good aaaaaaand it's 1,153 pages long. I learned yesterday that King's inspiration for this novel was the folk tale of the Three Billy Goats Gruff.
  • also listening to The Pale Horseman on my commute.

giphy.gif

Brainwork:

• listened to Up First on my way to work.
  • worked on an assignment for my Educational Technology for Administrators class and learned a bit more about creating an Excel spreadsheet and how to format a spreadsheet as a table.
  • also listened to part of an episode of This American Life titled In Defense of Ignorance.
  • Like 2

Update, Week 1, Days 5, 6, and 7:

wpid-female-fitness-motivation212.jpeg 

Burpees:

• 10 in the mornings while outside with the dogs
  • 10 in the late afternoons
  • 10 in the evenings

giphy.gif 

Books:

• Friday I left my copy of IT in my car while at work, so I read a few pages of Life's Golden Ticket by Brendon Burchard. I really like books like this one (if they're done well) that use a sort of magical realism to teach life lessons, kind of like Mitch Albom's The Five People You Meet in Heaven or The Traveler's Gift by Andy Andrews.
  • still listening to The Pale Horseman.

giphy.gif 

Brainwork:

• worked on schoolwork, reading in my text about using technology to collect data, as well as analyzing data from a spreadsheet
  • listened to Up First on my way to work, as well as an episode of Athletes Unfiltered about retired professional cyclist Larens ten Dam.
  • Like 3

Week 2, Day 1:

36b2ch.jpg

Burpees:

• 10 in the afternoon when I got home from work
  • 10 in the late evening before bed

giphy.gif 

Books:

• read a few more pages of Life's Golden Ticket. The writing is basic, but the story concept is interesting (even if a little predictable), and I am genuinely curious to see where it goes. The main character has already met someone important from his past who encouraged him and nearly broke him emotionally.
  • still listening to The Pale Horseman. It's getting really, really good.

giphy.gif 

Brainwork:

• completed an assignment for school in which I reflected on several models for learning with educational technology and then selected the one that I identified with most and explained why.
  • listened to Up First on the way to work
Edited by WolfDreamer
added gifs
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, woodandbronze said:

I'm curious: doesn't doing burpees before bed energize you, making it difficult to sleep?

Well, I don't do them immediately before bed but about an hour or so before. Then, as recommended with a lot of post-workout routines, I rest and recover. Doing 10 burpees is not really comparable to something like going for a run, even though they do get the heart beating and blood flowing. I'm not saying the impact would be the same for everyone else, but I have no trouble sleeping even after having done the burpees in the late evening.

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 2:

giphy.gif

Burpees:

• 10 shirtless and shoeless burpees while outside with the dogs
  • 10 in the afternoon
  • 10 in the late evening

e80e0da46383ef7254ecfccb28370fcb.jpg

Books:

• read a few pages of IT; seriously, if you've read some of the garbage that Stephen King has written (and there have been some stinkers), return to this one and be reminded how talented the man really is.
  • still listening to The Pale Horseman; I'm creeping towards the climax, I just know it. The audio version is like 13 hours long, and I'm listening to it in my car, so...
  • started reading the first volume of the graphic novel series Y: The Last Man. I'm a really big Brian K. Vaughan fan. I've read Saga (and I'm still not over it) and Paper Girls, so no doubt this is going to be a fun ride.

giphy.gif

Brainwork:

• Like 2

Week 2, Day 3:

maxresdefault.jpg

Burpees:

• 10 in the afternoon
  • 10 in the late evening

giphy.gif 

Books:

• read a few more pages of Life's Golden Ticket while sitting on the porch of one of the oldest buildings on campus, East Hall, built in 1893.
  • still listening to The Pale Horseman.

giphy.gif

Brainwork:

• listened to NPR National News as well as Up First on my way to work
  • read an article on BrainPickings about Czech playwright turned President Vaclav Havel, which really turned out to be a meditation on hope.
  • Like 3

Wow, it's been a busy weekend. I'll post an official update later, but here are some highlights from my weekend:

• ran 10k with my buddy Rick on an abandoned golf course in the dark with headlamps at 5:30 in the morning. Totals: 6.29 miles, 930 ft elevation gain, time 1:10:13, pace 11:09/mile.

• walked around town in the rain waiting to watch my daughters in the Poca Heritage Day parade; fortunately, the rain stopped just in time for the parade to begin.

• spent the rest of the day Saturday finishing a school assignment. I still have one more that is due Monday.

• took Princess Gracelynn to breakfast at McDonald's this morning; she only wanted a hashbrown and a drink, and I ordered an egg Mcmuffin and a whole milk latte.

• deep cleaned our bedroom today: carried out dirty laundry, trash, and toys, folded and put away clean laundry, put stuff in the closet, washed our blanket, sheets, and pillow cases, vacuumed the floor, the bed, and the walls (we have a Kirby, so it's like the multi-tool of vacuums).

Hope everyone else's weekend has been a blessing.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My mom bought a Kirby from a door to door salesman when I was a kid, that thing lasted forever.

That's how we bought ours.

My grandma had one, and I don't know how long she had it. Twenty years, maybe? I think my aunt may have it now, and it still works.

I told my wife today, "I know this thing wasn't cheap, but I'll never think it was a waste of money." I've also shampooed our carpet with it before, just not today.

• Like 1

Week 2, Days 4, 5, 6, & 7:

Workout-Humor13.jpg

Burpees:

Thursday:

• 15 in the morning while outside with the dogs
  • 15 in the late evening right after dinner (I don't recommend it :wacko:).

Friday:

• 10 in the afternoon
  • 10 in the late evening

Saturday & Sunday:

• none, sorry; I was really busy (see above) and just neglected to do them.

neil-gaiman-meme-author-quote.jpg

Books:

• still working my way through Life's Golden Ticket
  • finished The Pale Horseman Sunday evening, and then downloaded the next book in the series, Lords of the North.

The+Nerd+Brain+Infographic+funny+pic.jpg

Brainwork:

• listened to Up First and NPR News on my way to work
  • read a few articles on Curiosity.com, including one about why a flamingoes beak is so unique.
  • read some information for one of my classes about several philosophies involving motivation and needs (e.g. Maslow, etc.)
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

I just introduced the kids to Monty Python and the Holy Grail this weekend. They love it. They don’t get 90% of the jokes and it’s still hilarious. 

Yeah, I've shared a few of their skits with my students. They really like the dead parrot sketch, the Ministry of Silly Walks, and the "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" sketches. But a lot of the other ones, they're just like, "Uhh... what?" I've also showed some scenes from Holy Grail and from Life of Brian (specifically the stoning scene). Those get some chuckles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolfDreamer said:

Yeah, I've shared a few of their skits with my students. They really like the dead parrot sketch, the Ministry of Silly Walks, and the "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" sketches. But a lot of the other ones, they're just like, "Uhh... what?" I've also showed some scenes from Holy Grail and from Life of Brian (specifically the stoning scene). Those get some chuckles.

“Uhh... what?” The troupe would LOVE that reaction.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sciread77 said:

“Uhh... what?” The troupe would LOVE that reaction.

No doubt. Even MP fans have had a few "Uhh... what?" moments, and it's bloody brilliant.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

No doubt. Even MP fans have had a few "Uhh... what?" moments, and it's bloody brilliant.

Agreed. The unpredictability and random absurdity is part of that brilliance. I love it. 

• Like 1

Sorry for my extended absence from the boards. If I'm honest, every time I logged in I just didn't feel up to posting an update. I'd look at the screen and think, I have a long list of other things I need to be doing right now. And then I wouldn't come back to the board until the next day only to repeat the process again.

However, my challenge is continuing along. Most days, I get at least 20/30 burpees done. The 10 in the morning has been the most consistent, a great way to wake my body up before getting ready for the rest of my day. I paused my progress on reading IT and have decided to finish Go Tell It On the Mountain. I am also listening to The Troop by Nick Cutter. It's a book that Stephen King said scared the hell out of him and he couldn't stop reading. I can understand why. It's dark and kind of miserable, but it's also gripping, old-fashioned horror. I'm not sure what is more terrifying: the "thing" that is supposed to be the "horror" or the shitty teenage boy characters. I've listened to quite a few podcast episodes since my last post: Revisionist History (Malcolm Gladwell is freaking brilliant), Code Switch, Invisibilia, the TED Radio Hour, and lots and lots of NPR on the way to work. I've also been reading articles for my graduate classes and writing/submitting papers.

I'm sorry. It's really no one else's fault but my own that I haven't been posting regularly. But by the time I sit down to my computer, I'm either drained or I'm restless to do something else, like go for a run or something. I appreciate your understanding and your friendship.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Sorry for my extended absence from the boards. If I'm honest, every time I logged in I just didn't feel up to posting an update.

Dude -- if posting regularly was a hard requirement for membership in this club you all would have kicked me out YEARS ago :) 

However, my challenge is continuing along. Most days, I get at least 20/30 burpees done.... I've listened to quite a few podcast episodes since my last post: Revisionist History (Malcolm Gladwell is freaking brilliant), Code Switch, Invisibilia, the TED Radio Hour, and lots and lots of NPR on the way to work. I've also been reading articles for my graduate classes and writing/submitting papers.

Sounds like success to me! The challenge appears to be doing what it's supposed to do, which is keep you honest about doing the work to meet your goals. It's nice of you to let us know how it's going so we can celebrate (or commiserate), but in the end it's about you and not us.

I'm sorry. It's really no one else's fault but my own that I haven't been posting regularly. But by the time I sit down to my computer, I'm either drained or I'm restless to do something else, like go for a run or something. I appreciate your understanding and your friendship.

In my (grateful) experience, I've found that the friendship and fellowship to be found on these boards is not a contingent thing. No matter how occasionally I turn up, or how inconsistent I am at returning the social capital so freely given to me, I always find unconditional acceptance and support. If the same isn't true for our awesome Guild Leaders then we are DEFINITELY doing something wrong :wub: 

Congratulations on destroying your challenge so far, and good luck in the home stretch!

• Like 4

Agreed, no need to apologize. The forums are here as a tool to help, not as a second job. I’ve been struggling with posting as well. I’ve had several opportunities this week but no energy or nothing I actually wanted to post. 

• Like 2