• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

redgrill18

Redgrill18-Five Months to Get Back on Track

Hi all!  I did a couple 5 week challenges a while back so it's time to try to jump into the fray again.  Overall, I've been super stagnant lately with weight loss so I'm going to try to get back into a downward movement again with a goal of at least ten pounds down by the time my kid turns 2 in February.  My total goal is 30 but to me it's not about when I lose it; just getting back on the right path.  I hate being the cliche story of 'oh I just didn't have the motivation til I had a kid' but it's true...having someone who pretty soon is going to be looking up to you and your bad habits is a damn good motivator.  So! Without further ado:

Practice knife throwing at least once a week: Goal for pre-challenge is to collect enough giant cardboard boxes to staple gun together to make myself a target.  I'd been holding off on this one forever until I realized that those giant commercial targets that cost like $100 are basically just that and I don't need anything stronger (wood) until I'm no longer a beginner at which point I'll just nail a spare piece of plywood I kept to the cardboard.

Jog at least three times a week: Fall is upon us and nothing is better than a jog outside.  I'm trying to get rid of my car when my lease runs in January too so I'm trying to get myself to jog to daycare now so it's not such an adjustment when I have to come January.

Ride bike to work at least three times a week: Same reason as above; I want to be well practiced in riding in before I go the no car route.  So far I usually average 2 days a week but it really should be 5.  I get to work faster on a bike than I do in a car and get extra exercise.  Only annoyance is lugging a 55 lb bike out of my house; darn those thieves that won't allow me to chain it up outside!

Ta daaa!  My little mini *bonus* goals that I'm not making official tasks are continuing on with my online nutrition course by doing an hour a week and keeping up with doing a full meal plan and prep on Sundays (I've got three weeks under my belt right now) but I figure I'll save those for once I get these habits going.  I know I need to get back into lifting but I just really don't love it at all and finding time to get to the gym is a lot harder than finding time to throw my kid in a jogging stroller.  Gonna dig thru the old fitness video stash and maybe start trying to do some P90X or some at home TRXing every once in a while but not gonna stress if I don't.  

• Like 4

13 hours ago, redgrill18 said:

nothing is better than a jog outside

I've been telling myself of this for some time but I don't seem to believe it. 

I'm excited to see how the knife throwing goal goes :)

10 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I've been telling myself of this for some time but I don't seem to believe it. 

I'm excited to see how the knife throwing goal goes :)

The *best* type of jog is during a rainstorm.  You stay nice and cool and can't really worry about what you look like b/c no one is stopping to look at a jogging drowned rat.  Gotta have a ballcap on tho so water isn't just streaming into your eyes but otherwise it's so freeing :)  Just don't go for a long jog b/c there is also nothing worse than walking back in the rain if you run out of steam, haha.  Then you start to notice your soggy shoes and the weight of your wet clothes.

• Like 2

Welp, road my bike to work yesterday but didn't today b/c I was just exhausted.  Hubs didn't get home from work orientation til 1030 so I had two days in a row of full morning and evening toddler duty and that can really take a lot out of ya.  I still have no idea how single parents do it and maintain sanity.  Like I can physically do all the things...but mentally zero chance.

I was gonna ride in tomorrow b/c the President is coming to town which means protests, road closures, etc. and there's also a large convention and a baseball game-so thankfully after an email from Downtown Partnership urging it my boss decided we can just work from home tomorrow.  Yay!  So auto fail for week 0 on the bike ride goal but I'm going to definitely get in a jog since I will save time not commuting and probably do a lot better nutrition wise since this is usually the time I start falling off the wagon each week b/c I'm itching for an evening off from cooking and prepping.

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, redgrill18 said:

I still have no idea how single parents do it and maintain sanity.

This, exactly! No clue how they do it. Maybe they don't! Sanity is overrated anyway. 

Welcome back! I love the idea of going car-less. 

2 is a very fun age, so you've got something to look forward to :) 

• Like 1

Riding a bike to work is so convenient :). The trick is to bike slowly enough that you don't really get tired; it should feel as intense as walking, not as jogging. That way, it's actually more relaxing than driving a car, which makes the choice easier ;). Unless it rains and it's cold and you just don't want to be outside... Then biking to work is just a chore.

• Like 2

Alright, so munchkin got called home from daycare for a fever so that means no bike tomorrow either as I'll be home with her.  BUT after a day at home I'm feeling much more productive and mentally healthy so I'm definitely going to find a way to get to the gym for a jog tonight and get in a good treadmill zombiesrun! workout(heat wave=no jogging outside today).  And I stopped and picked up some giveaway boxes someone had so I'll get to finish making my target tonight for knife throwing and maybe even take my first shot at throwing!

I find i'm in a much better mood mentally when I ride in to work than when I drive.  Plus, we had a rough year financially so my goal is that once I've got my CC paid off and my weight  down, my reward will be going back up to a two car family.  Car-less should save me about $400/month and keep me much more active so hopefully within 6 months or so I can decide if I want to get my reward or keep going without :)  Got in my nutrition video today while I ate lunch so struck off one of the bonus tasks.

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

Knife Throwing

Bonus: Meal Prep

Bonus: Nutrition Video

• Like 4

I hope your daughter will get better soon! Half a year sounds like a good time period to test if you can go without a car, and those savings are substantial. Hopefully you can get used to going without :). Is a bike-seat for your daughter a feasible solution? It would make you a lot more mobile in going to and from the daycare, and she might enjoy the time outside ;).

• Like 1

On 9/13/2019 at 2:45 PM, Waanie said:

Is a bike-seat for your daughter a feasible solution?

A totally feasible solution.  My sister gave me her trailer hitch which I thought would be great but I doubt I'm going to want to tow an empty trailer thru downtown Baltimore after I drop her off a few blocks from our house.  I'm gonna try it a few times just to see if it's easier than I'm envisioning in my head-plus, cars will probably be less likely to zip around me with it on there.  Originally I was thinking I'd just pick her up/drop her off with the jogging stroller; but it really will save time just to do it all on the way to/from so I'm eyeing one of those seats you basically put right in front of you :)  

Weekend was a bit of a wash with baby (and then hubs) being sick.  My back has been killing me and I made time last week for chiro but it's still not better.  I think I'm going to just suck it up and start getting in the workouts hoping that movement either loosens the muscles up or forces me to double down on back exercises/foam rolling/chiro.  I got everything all ready to get in my jog this AM and then got woken by the munchkin twice, which is not an uncommon occurrence these days so I'm going to force myself to just do it right after work at the gym.  I miss AM workouts but I'm just not motivated enough no matter how early I go to bed if I'm getting woken up.  Time to double down on sleep training again! 

Also, saw Brittany Runs a Marathon this weekend as my brief *get the hell out of the nursing ward that was my house* break and it was so good.  Legit crying by the end.

Meal prep-done.  Going easy and cheap this week b/c husband isn't going to be able to help much.  Cereal or smoothies for breakfast, taco salad or chili mac for lunches, dinners are fish tacos, instant pot sesame chicken, spaghetti w salad and beef w noodles.  Very carb heavy but meh-at least I planned/prepped and won't be eating out.  Baby steps.

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

Knife Throwing One Session

BonusMeal Prep

Bonus: Nutrition Video One Hour

• Like 3

Started strong yesterday and got my jog in; forgot how much I love ZombiesRun!  I hate just running on a treadmill b/c my default is to want to read or watch something; which means my focus isn't 100% on how my run is going/adjusting as needed but still pushing hard.  Definitely watched a bit too much TV in the evening tho (currently watching The Boys on Prime video-great twist on the superhero genre).  Decided that today will be a rest day and am going to try to catch up on the home to do list instead.

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

Knife Throwing One Session

BonusMeal Prep

• Like 2

I used the Zombies, Run! app for a while as well :). While the free-form run is not suitable for me, I really liked the atmosphere it managed to create.

And yes, that's exactly the kind of bike seat I meant. They are ubiquitous in the Netherlands due to the biking culture, and it's a nice and convenient way to transport kids. The first time is really strange though, since there is suddenly a lot more weight on your handlebars. Or maybe that's because my cousin was already 3 when I rode a bike with kid in front for the first time ;).

• Like 2

Week still going strong.  Cooked and cleaned up all the dishes for about 2 hours last night and then got in an episode of The Boys before bed.  Got to work on time today (because I finally rode my bike, haha) and navigated tricky duty split convo with hubs with some grace.  Just got annoyed w him b/c yesterday I was going to ride my bike and he just assumed I was going to take the baby to daycare without asking b/c last week I cut him a lot of slack and did it most days.  He just started a new job last week with a mix between a long commute and days where he works from home so we're just having growing pains figuring out how to redo the morning and evening responsibilities in a way that works. 

Gotten cool enough to run outside without having to do it in the AM so I'm going to jog right after work around the harbor before biking home.  Tonight is leftovers so hopefully I can get home fast enough that I can get in my knife throw session before having to go get munchkin.  Woot!  Feeling pretty optimistic about my chances of clearing this week's goals :)

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

BonusMeal Prep

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 3:54 PM, redgrill18 said:

I'm eyeing one of those seats you basically put right in front of you :)  

I have one of those, it's brilliant :) though she's nearly outgrown it, so I'm now looking for a seat on the back.

• Like 1

Yesterday was fine.  Got in a good jog after work but definitely not in time to do stuff at home before picking up munchkin from daycare.  Today will probably be a bit of a wash b/c I got into work a few minutes late and have to cook again for dinner.  Was supposed to ride my bike again today but didn't b/c my neck/upper back have been bugging me and I'm sort of suspecting it's the bike as it seems worse on days after I bike so wanted to test the theory with a break day.  Researched some stuff on causes/form and am going to double check my form on bike when I get home as well as get in some upper back stretches before trying again tomorrow.  Might just have to go in for a bike fitting b/c my bike is a cruiser and I'm really small so most of the online advice doesn't apply easily to me.

There's also a parent at daycare that has the trailer and the pop up double leg kickstand (my kickstand is so subpar my new bike falls over if I don't just lean it against a wall, grr) and she happened to be at the coffee shop I went to after dropoff so I was able to study her setup and she said riding with the trailer empty really wasn't too bad.  I figure first step is still getting munchkin a helmet either way so I might set some time aside in the next few weeks to hit up the store with her (it's about 2 blocks from daycare) to do that and ask them about the kickstand and if I can get a handlebar kid seat on a cruiser bike.

It's weird, compared to the last few months, having gotten in 2 jogs and 1 bike to work session this early in the week along with fully complying with prepping planning my meals for the week I'd feel like a rockstar.  And yet, knowing I am not going to make the three bike to works makes me feel like I failed or am being lazy.  Like, is my neck sore enough that I took two advils when I rarely take pain killers...yeah.  But, I could definitely push thru.  One of those, 'did I really not bike today b/c I don't want to push it or because I'm subconsciously being lazy?'  I just keep going back and forth.  Grr.  Must. focus. on. the. wins.

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

BonusMeal Prep

• Like 3

16 hours ago, redgrill18 said:

One of those, 'did I really not bike today b/c I don't want to push it or because I'm subconsciously being lazy?'

Yea those are hard! For what it's worth, to me it seems like the right decision. It's not just not pushing it, it's research really. 

• Like 2

Welp, turned a rough night into a great morning!  Munchkin woke up at 545 and wouldn't go back down so I just decided to get up and take her on a morning run with me so I wouldn't have to do it at lunch.  And it was straight up lovely.  Normally I don't wear my headphones if I have her with me for extra safety but this early in the AM it was totally fine as there were a ton of joggers and very few cars.  Munchkin just spent the whole time pointing at the moon and waving to the other runners. 

Gonna be a packed weekend, which I never look forward to.  Got an O's game tonight and Sunday (last of the season) and Saturday I'm driving out to Delaware for a girl's day/sleepover with my Mom and sister.

I think I've landed on skipping biking is not laziness b/c I'm still really wanting to get out and jog and just not feeling it on the biking despite really enjoying it while I'm doing it.  So-regardless of the reason time to change something.  My bike is *heavy* b/c I got an e-bike thinking 'hey, this way if I'm being lazy I'll still use it to go run to the grocery store/work after hours/etc when I get rid of my car!'  If I could go back in time, I would've just bought the lightest bike in a heartbeat.  Lugging the 55 lbs in and out the back doors every time I use it is more than a little difficult, and then I have to maneuver around all our stuff in the back patio.  I've been researching every which way to store it in an attractive and out of the way manner and it just can't be done in the space by the back doors b/c it's too small.  The front door doesn't have a storm door, is three steps down, and immediately on the street.  So-new game plan is to try the front to see if it's an easier exit and then focus on a rack that can be put in the living room somewhere, which will have many more options.

Happy weekend everyone!

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

BonusMeal Prep

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 10:08 PM, redgrill18 said:

My bike is *heavy* b/c I got an e-bike thinking 'hey, this way if I'm being lazy I'll still use it to go run to the grocery store/work after hours/etc when I get rid of my car!'  If I could go back in time, I would've just bought the lightest bike in a heartbeat.

Ah, that makes sense.  I was wondering what kind of bike weighs so much, but wasn't considering that fact thet you were lugging around a huge battery all the time

New week!  Weekend was okay.  Hanging out with the extended family has challenges but I survived.  Then went to last game of the season which was lovely; my fav player hit the game winning homerun (which is SUPER rare for him b/c he is quite terrible these days) and munchkin was an absolute dream and stuck it out til the end of the game.  No tantrums, lots of cheering, super happy.

Didn't have time to do meal prep/plan or go grocery shopping, so it will be a bit of a lost week food wise :/  So now I just get to come up with a mental list of where we're going to get takeout from this week.  Tonight-Indian!

Saturday hubs leaves for 10 days for Europe.  My apologies in advance for the miserable human I'll be caring for munchkin solo while also harboring a large grudge from the unresolved fight of hubs still going for 10 days when I wouldn't agree to more than 5.  The end result is I don't get a vacation this year so I'm taking next week off work for a staycation and need to figure out some short day trips or stuff to do to keep from murdering him when he gets back or spending the whole week just day-drinking and binge watching Netflix.  I was thinking about trying to build giant raised garden beds with built in seating in the back patio but the cost of wood makes it prohibitive for me this year (seriously, why is lumber so expensive!).  But I'll probably finalize plans for it at least and then maybe can tackle it next year.  Other ideas are a day of sewing to clear out a project or two, a day to hike some backwoods areas and scout a backpacking site for the future, a DC museum day, and *maybe* a day of camping with munchkin.  I think for camping I'd need a second pair of hands to be able to cook and keep munchkin from killing herself so gotta figure that one out.  I'm really curious to see how she sleeps outdoors. 

Any ideas of other things to try that can be done between the hours of 730AM and 630PM (when I can be sans munchkin)?

Anyways, off to a good start with a jog this AM when munchkin wouldn't go back down at 530AM.  Yay?

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

Bonus: Meal Prep [Fail]

• Like 1

Yay! Munchkin slept til 7!  Feel like a new human.  Randomly used my 20 seconds of courage yesterday and signed up for a bodpod assessment for this morning.  I was kinda just curious where my body fat actually is and wanted to know my RMR calories.  The end result was 35.5% body fat (which is better than the 38.3 my fitbit scale was saying) and RMR of 1300 calories, which is 100 better than I thought it would be.  They recommended 102 grams of protein a day (oof, guess it's time to break the protein powder back out).  Not sure I would pay to do it again but it was definitely interesting to do once and has renewed my desire to try calorie and macro counting again and maaaaaybe convince myself to at least do some body weight workouts.  We'll see.

Didn't get in my jog yet today b/c of the test but am going to attempt to get out of work early enough to get one in before daycare pickup. Also, a super early wakeup from baby yesterday meant I had time to grocery shop before work so no more lost week!

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

Bonus: Meal Prep [Partial Fail-missed Monday]

• Like 1

Go do the camping! A one pot meal that doesn't require any work besides heating up should enable you to keep the munchkin from hurting herself :) 

And you'll be my new hero. 

• Like 2

Alright so I decided on account of all the horror stories of women traveling alone and getting murdered that I'd see if my brother wanted to join as his wife hates camping so I know he misses it like me.   I could just bring my dog for safety but the goal is to have as stress-free a camping experience as possible and I'm not sure how munchkin or dog will sleep in nature yet so gonna keep the variables smaller, haha.  I'll save her for next time.  Bro said he was down so I found a state park in between us and hopefully tonight he'll get the go ahead and I can book it!  I'm sort of ridiculously excited :)  A friend also suggested I get a facial or a massage so it's something a bit splurgey but for $100+ I just don't get a whole lot out of them?  So I started looking up Ayurvedic spa treatments to try something new and found a super well reviewed place that has a ton of open appts for next week-once camping is booked that will be next up.  

Got a jog in Wednesday and will get in another tonight after work.  Last night we had an impromptu date night b/c grandma wanted some munchkin time so that was kind of nice. While hubs is out I'm also going to order a few bike racks to try out, move everything to the front so hopefully I can get better with the biking to work, and maybe even visit the bike store for some necessities like a new kickstand.

Now to go over-caffeinate and furiously clear out all my work so I can slide into next week with no worries.  

Breakdown:

Jog One Two Three

Bike One Two Three

Bonus: Meal Prep [Partial Fail-missed Monday]

• Like 3

Grandmas are the best!

Glad you decided to go camping :) a great idea to bring your brother, I mean, I like my munchkin well enough, but having some adult company is really rather nice too. And if you can combine the two, all the better. 

• Like 1

Alrighty, new week and back at work.  So in sum, last week sorta sucked but that was expected.  Went camping Sunday night and it was...kind of awful?  Haha.  But at least now I know!  Munchkin wouldn't go to sleep so was overexcited and running all over.  I was dehydrated b/c too busy trying to keep up w her instead of hydrating and trying to sleep with a munchkin rolling all over the tent in her sleep wasn't ideal and it was also about 5 degrees too hot to be comfortable sleeping weather.  Ah well.  So in sum, next time-get a cabin and contain the munchkin.

Then, lack of sleep led to Monday being a bit of a bore just trying to catch up. Tuesday got up and did a full self care routine and jog and then promptly got what I assumed was a dehydration headache with muscle soreness so started taking Advil...fast forward to Thursday and still felt awful and kept waking up in sweat puddles that after trial and error were not thermostat related.  Stopped taking Advil, whoops! Turns out I had a fever of 102 I'd been medicating away for two days just trying to keep up.  Not that I had much of a choice while soloing sans hubs but not great.  So spent most of the daycare time in bed trying to get unsick and did almost nothing on my fun list of things to do.  By Friday a gnarly cough had emerged that is preventing sleeping but it at least appears the fever headache part is gone; yay?

I did get in an attempt at sewing day and messed up my first try at a shirt pretty immensely, but I'm going to continue working on the messed up one so I can practice (and make more messups), then do a muslin mockup and try again, and then a final-so at least I got a little further along and there is a plan!

Saturday stumbled thru watching munchkin at home while letting her watch Disney movies so I can lay on couch (and feel horrid guilt)...turns out only thing worse than getting out of the house while sick with a munchkin is staying home with one so Sunday I Adviled up and took her to the zoo.  Lots of walking but I think it actually helped me feel a little better and she loved it *so* much.  Was dying looking at the polar bear that was playing right at the glass and then with the giraffes and elephants she just kept loudly exclaiming "Wow. Wooooooow. WOW."  I'm about 30% certain that her wow's were for the audience as much as for the actual awe.  Haha.

Back at work today and hubs arrives home tonight so I officially survived...barely.  I'd actually love to go for a jog tonight to try to just cough out everything but since I'm also running on fumes I'm going to try to get at least two nights of sleep in before trying to jog again so I don't end up just catching something else with my currently crap immune system.  

Happy Monday!

Dangit I am sorry camping was not ideal. I was really excited for you. But yah.... young'ens can really get overexcited and drain all the life out of you. My niece decided we were BEST FRIENDS at the last cottage trip and made me play camping with her all day lol and asked if we could do a sleep over in the bunkie at the cottage and I said sure thinking she would fall asleep by 8pm...maybe 9 latest and I could have time to read lol NOPE. She didn't end up falling asleep until like 11:30 and kept talking about a fox that will come in the night. And she was playing with a flashlight and dropped it on her head... cue screaming fit lol. That was the closest adventure I have had to camping with a young'en... most exhausted cottage trip ever.

I hope you got your two nights of sleep and rest and didn't end up catching something else. Also that you didn't kill your hubby :P