• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

foxinthenorth

Fox visits Kaer Morhen

Recommended Posts

All right my friends. While I enjoyed building a challenge around my novel, and will likely pick up that theme again soon, for the next five weeks I'm gonna ride the hype wave of my current obsession.

 

02097011b93d362ebe06402d4e483893.gif

 

(For the record, I have not reached that part in the game yet. I just found the gif and I'm in love. I read muuuuuch more than I play and I'm halfway through The Tower of Swallows. In the game I've just met Keira Metz.)

 

Okay so first of all, have any of you read the Witcher books? Anyone? Please? All my local friends have just played the game. And then I might have scared a few of them off from the books because the English translation of The Last Wish and Blood of Elves is pretty bad (they switched translators starting with Time of Contempt, and it gets a lot better) so I was complaining about the prose as I was getting deeper and deeper and now I'm so invested that I keep walking around the house sighing heavily about Ciri's Traumatic Life Experiences and keep my husband up after he's turned the lights out because I'm talking about how I'm worried Geralt and Yennefer will never find her. Followed by rationalizing that if she trusts him in the game, which occurs after the books, they must be reunited. At some point. My library doesn't have Lady of the Lake or Sword of Destiny so I'm debating between buying them now or waiting to try and de-obsess my brain a little bit between books.

 

Okay, reel it in.

 

A witcher's skills rely on balance, core strength, and mobility. Geralt just ran along the railing of a bridge, astonishing Nilfgaardian soldiers with his feat of acrobats, which was nothing for a witcher. For someone built as thinly as Ciri, engaging her center in every movement is essential, and core strength supports that. (In the books she's described as 5'9" and 112lbs at the age of 15, which is roughly four inches taller than me and the same weight. I have a couple friends built like that and I can promise the only way she can chop a wyvern's head off is by appropriately engaging her core and hips in the strike. And striking correctly, not hacking. But that's another skill.) As for mobility — well, most martial arts rely on a certain level of mobility and dodging monsters certainly requires it. Also, Geralt once tackled down a captor while his hands and feet were tied. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have tight hamstrings. That kind of stunt also requires significant core strength.

 

So here's how we're gonna do this.

 

Every day:

  • 5 minutes on core strength. Options include:
    • Table with leg lifts (I actually don't know what this exercise is really called, but I got it from my physical therapist), 20 seconds each side, 3 reps
    • Plank with arm raised, 30 seconds each side
    • Sphinx with leg raised, 30 seconds each side
    • Side planks, 30 seconds each side
    • Leg lifts of death, another one from my physical therapist that I don't have an official name for, 3-5 reps
  • 5 minutes on balance training. Options include:
  • 5 minutes on mobility training. Options include:
    • Downward dog
    • Bear crawl
    • Frogger
    • Monkey
    • Neck stretches
    • Hips: Stretch, for a minimum of 20 seconds each side: hamstrings, hip flexors, IT band, piriformis
    • Forearm rotation (I'll look up an official name for this, but it's from my physical therapist to help with my elbows locking up during load-bearing extension)
    • Rolling (One of the main things I miss about aikido)

 

I intend to expand the habits established in the last challenge (special thanks to Habitica for motivating me to do things I don't want to do) where I did my hip stretches every night before bed. My plan is to do these 15 minutes of training every night before bed. I'll be continuing with P90X3, so I'll be doing 30-35 minutes of exercise in the morning in addition to this.

 

I will be reorganizing my Habitica dailies to track this (one for core, one for balance, and one for mobility so I can get partial credit if necessary).

 

How am I going to track progress? Haven't quite figured that out yet. Maybe I'll take videos of myself doing a few of the exercises (probably the scales, crow, bear crawl, frogger, and monkey) and time how long I can hold each plank to set a baseline, then repeat at the end of five weeks to look for improvement. I'll figure that out and set my baseline during Week 0 and start officially on Week 1.

 

Aaaaand, that's it, folks! I'm just doing a fitness goal this time, as it seems like I'm most motivated by this community in the fitness arena.

 

Last note! I'm trying to get my sister to join in for this round. She's been frustrated about gaining weight and had trouble sticking to fitness plans so I sent her the info and am gonna try to get on the phone with her to help her pick some goals. And say come join us.

giphy.gif

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how you've given yourself options for what to do each day , within a framework. I vote yes for the videos, I love videos. Plus, I think it is fun to have a video when you first try something to compare to after you've been working on it a while

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yessss balance training is FUN!!

 

I know people that have played the Witcher games and love them, I should att that to my "someday" list....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SooooOOOOOoooooOOOOOoooo.....I'm waiting to see if I have a team to sign up for a Spartan Sprint in January. That's a 3-mile obstacle course race with 25 obstacles. Am I already planning victory photo shoots with Coach Fawkes and anticipating having a Trifecta medal by the end of 2020? Yes, yes of course I am.

 

(For anyone new to my threads, Coach Fawkes is an excellent little stuffed red panda I found in Akihabara in Tokyo, and he became the mascot of my workout efforts when one day my husband took a little strip of paper towel, tied it around Fawkes' head like a headband, and declared him "Coach Fawkes.")

 

I feel like an OCR fits well with both my "be my novel protagonist" goals AND my witcher-themed goals. SO. HYPED.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 10:55 PM, foxinthenorth said:

have any of you read the Witcher books? Anyone? Please?

 

Me! Well, the first one, anyway. Eventually. I did give up on The Last Wish the first time through because the English translation was so bad, but then I downloaded a dodgy copy in German and was able to finish and enjoy it. Still, that was so much work (for something that’s supposed to be fun) that I’ve been finding other things to do than struggle through my German copy of Blood of Elves, which has been cluttering up my Kindle and taunting my inadequacy ever since. You say the newer translations are better? Maybe I’ll have another go at them in English when I find some time and energy.

 

But the games...oh the games... Would you believe I actually wrote one of my Masters’ theses on the first two games? B) I’ve beaten the first one at least five times. Before I left on my current trip I was partway through my third or fourth time through Assassins of Kings. Finishing The Wild Hunt was such a huge effort that I needed a bit of time off from it, but the DLC packs are waiting for me, and that’s next on my list as a possible reward for sorting things out when I get home. 

 

Are you tracking the forthcoming Netflix original series based on the books? I almost never watch TV of any kind, but I’m going to see how the initial reviews of this play out, and if they’re good I might consider making an exception :) 

 

I don’t know you and this is crazy (and I’m not even a Ranger) but I can’t NOT follow a Witcher challenge because GERALT IS THE SHIZNIT and Ciri is awesome.

 

2 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Aaaand I have officially signed up for a Spartan Sprint.

 

This is amazing. Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, foxinthenorth said:

Aaaand I have officially signed up for a Spartan Sprint. I have 19 weeks to train so I'm going to keep this challenge the same and start adding it some running/sprinting and heavy lifting in the coming challenges.

Have fun with that!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 2:03 PM, Elastigirl said:

I like how you've given yourself options for what to do each day , within a framework. I vote yes for the videos, I love videos. Plus, I think it is fun to have a video when you first try something to compare to after you've been working on it a while

I'm going to take the videos maybe today...maybe tomorrow. I filled up my phone storage with photos and videos from the past like two years so I need to move that all to my computer before I start taking more...

 

On 9/11/2019 at 2:44 AM, Novaurora said:

Here to follow you. Get it!!

Thanks!!

 

23 hours ago, shaar said:

Yessss balance training is FUN!!

 

I know people that have played the Witcher games and love them, I should att that to my "someday" list....

I'm enjoying Wild Hunt so far, though I think the cut scenes are excessively long. I'm in it for the story though, so that's not too much of a complaint (although for some reason I can't skip dialogue anymore...I wonder if I accidentally changed a setting somewhere...)

 

14 hours ago, Maigs said:

I adore Coach Fawkes and fully support OCR goals (I'm planning on getting my Trifecta in 2020 also). Following along!

My friend I'm doing the Spartan with attempted to suggest that I could jump straight into a Super. I stuck to starting with a Sprint and going from there. :D 

 

9 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Following for a lot of monkey, table, tree and other business you plan on executing :D

I hope your sister decides to join too, even if you and she at first just encourage each other privately.

Thaaaanks. I'm going to keep bugging my sister about it. I'll let you know if she joins.

 

9 hours ago, oromendur said:

Me! Well, the first one, anyway. Eventually. I did give up on The Last Wish the first time through because the English translation was so bad, but then I downloaded a dodgy copy in German and was able to finish and enjoy it. Still, that was so much work (for something that’s supposed to be fun) that I’ve been finding other things to do than struggle through my German copy of Blood of Elves, which has been cluttering up my Kindle and taunting my inadequacy ever since. You say the newer translations are better? Maybe I’ll have another go at them in English when I find some time and energy.

 

But the games...oh the games... Would you believe I actually wrote one of my Masters’ theses on the first two games? B) I’ve beaten the first one at least five times. Before I left on my current trip I was partway through my third or fourth time through Assassins of Kings. Finishing The Wild Hunt was such a huge effort that I needed a bit of time off from it, but the DLC packs are waiting for me, and that’s next on my list as a possible reward for sorting things out when I get home. 

 

Are you tracking the forthcoming Netflix original series based on the books? I almost never watch TV of any kind, but I’m going to see how the initial reviews of this play out, and if they’re good I might consider making an exception :) 

 

I don’t know you and this is crazy (and I’m not even a Ranger) but I can’t NOT follow a Witcher challenge because GERALT IS THE SHIZNIT and Ciri is awesome.

Yes, the translation does get significantly better with Time of Contempt. It's still not like a pinnacle of English prose, but it no longer feels like dragging a bag of rocks over a cobblestone street. There is rhythm to the sentences! People interact with each other without causing me to cringe! No more "her lips found his lips and stuck to them"! I MEAN WHY ARE YOU LIPS STICKING WOMAN WHAT IS WRONG. Yeah. Wrong word choice there. I read that page to my writer's group because we occasionally like to laugh at bad prose.

 

I am tracking the Netflix show, and plan to check it out. I don't have time to reply with all of my feelings about Geralt and Ciri right now so I'll hop on again later tonight and reply again! THANKS NEW FRIEND!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/10/2019 at 9:55 PM, foxinthenorth said:

Okay so first of all, have any of you read the Witcher books? Anyone? Please?

I did! All of them - both tomes on stories, the main Saga and additional stories in various anthologies. I had even a chnce to browse through original comic books from 90's.  And by the fact I'm Polish, I'm privileged to read them in original :) On the other hand, I couldn't force myself even through first of the games. Grinding just kills me. 

 

Making your challenge Witcher-themed looks fun and I love your goals - Handstands are on my bucket list too :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, aramis said:

I did! All of them - both tomes on stories, the main Saga and additional stories in various anthologies. I had even a chnce to browse through original comic books from 90's.  And by the fact I'm Polish, I'm privileged to read them in original :) On the other hand, I couldn't force myself even through first of the games. Grinding just kills me. 

 

Making your challenge Witcher-themed looks fun and I love your goals - Handstands are on my bucket list too :)

 

Yeeesssssss I did remember that you're Polish or at least in Poland so I wondered if you'd read them, but I restrained myself from pouncing in my eagerness to talk to someone and decided to wait and see.  I'm just starting with Witcher 3 Wild Hunt, as I'm not good at video games and majority of my friends just rave about the third one. And I'm playing on story mode so everything is really easy. I haven't had a chance to read for the past three days and I'm eager to get back to Geralt, Yennefer, and Ciri. I'm about halfway through Tower of Swallows, which is, interestingly, translated as Tower of Swallows in the title but Tower of the Swallow in the actual text. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ And I'm getting a sinking feeling that they aren't going to find Ciri in this book.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be singular - Tower of the Swallow (in elder speech - Tor Zireael). 

 

About if they find Ciri - well, in the penultimate chapter...

Spoiler

Just read it yourself :encouragement:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aramis said:

It should be singular - Tower of the Swallow (in elder speech - Tor Zireael). 

I shall not open that spoiler until I've finished the book, just in case, but in the meantime...

 

How old is Ciri supposed to be?? In Blood of Elves, Triss guessed she was about twelve. Granted, Triss said twelve when she thought she was a boy running past in the woods, so maybe she was about thirteen. Ciri says she's thirteen when she's training with Yennefer. Assuming she's at that school for a year or so, she's fourteen at the Isle of Thanedd. The events of Baptism of Fire and Tower of the Swallow take place over 2-3 months, which means she's still fourteen, or very newly fifteen. Hotspurn (creeper) said she wasn't sixteen yet (extra creeper), and Vysogota guesses she's about sixteen, even though by my count of passing time she's still fourteen or barely fifteen. AND THEN Yennefer is talking to Crach an Craite and he says "oh back when she used to spend her winters here"...before the conquering of Cintra...and tells a story in which she is almost fifteen. By the timeline of every other mention of when Cintra was conquered as well as when Geralt invoked the law of surprise with Duny and Pavetta, not to mention the three preceding books, Ciri would have to have been eleven or younger in Crach's story. So is that one just a mistake, and the rest is just sort of a loose timeline in which some months went by in between chapters? Or is something weird going on? I want to google a timeline but I'm afraid of spoilers...

 

I suspect Crach’s story is a mistake, especially because Yennefer said he shouldn’t have worried about his son declaring he’ll marry Ciri. Pavetta was married at fifteen so he should definitely be worried if they were really fifteen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uhh... you overestimate my memory. I read the books, but not recently. Quick google search...

...

...

yeah, Crach's tale is a mistake. When Nilfgaard invaded Cintra, Ciri was less than 12. Triss' assumption about her age is widely agreed to by Polish fandom, and there are later events where she is said by the author himself to be 16.

All this summed up sets her birth date at Belleteyn night (seasonal festinal from 30th April to 1st May) of year 1252.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, aramis said:

Uhh... you overestimate my memory. I read the books, but not recently. Quick google search...

...

...

yeah, Crach's tale is a mistake. When Nilfgaard invaded Cintra, Ciri was less than 12. Triss' assumption about her age is widely agreed to by Polish fandom, and there are later events where she is said by the author himself to be 16.

All this summed up sets her birth date at Belleteyn night (seasonal festinal from 30th April to 1st May) of year 1252.

Thank you! :D I will continue in the assumption that some months passed during Blood of Elves and between BoE and Time of Contempt, leading to Ciri being in the 15-early 16 range by now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now