• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Manarelle

Which-craft? [Manarelle]

Recommended Posts

Goals:

  • Exercise - keep at it. Figure out what I'm doing wrong with deadlifts (likely form).
  • Languages - keep at it. 
  • Learning - finish art class on time.

 

aaaaaaaand.....

 

  • Crafting -
    • Thor - helmet tweak
    • Backlash - strip and re-finish boots
    • Backlash - dye pants and add side stripes
    • Backlash - finish knife
    • Work pants - take in
    • Wedding dress - sketch out and start mock-up

 

This challenge is going to focus more on the crafting side of things. For very good reasons, I've let crafting slide a bit in the past month or so. Those reasons... well they're not going to go away, but they've lessened a bit, and I need to get some things completed. In order, then, I need to sort the already-started Backlash elements for the gentleman, take in the work pants I recently made that are a bit too large, and then get started on a wedding dress. *IF* I get all that done before the con in April, I'll debate starting a Taboo outfit to go with the gentleman's Backlash. I don't want to commit to that, though, because there's a pretty substantial rumor we're (re-)raising the dress code at work, and I might need to make/ find business professional attire in somewhat short order. Don't want to be in a time crunch for work, cosplay, or wedding, so priorities are key here. 

 

Otherwise, same ol' same ol'. Daily language practice, regular workouts, and finishing the art class I'm taking online on time. And I'm sure work will throw some complications in there, but that's life, eh? 

Edited by Manarelle
Edited to add Thor helmet tweak
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I love what I am seeing in the Assassins right now with all the Whichcraft and Wizardry.   If only there was a school or something for all this

 

Right? :D I mean, it is fall (almost) and that means halloween (which some of us have been prepping for since March), sooooooo.......

 

giphy.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such a crafty challenge! ;)

 

1 hour ago, Manarelle said:

I mean, it is fall (almost) and that means halloween

it's really too bad we don't celebrate halloween in the Netherlands, otherwise I could have done something creepy with the belly. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Such a crafty challenge! ;)

 

it's really too bad we don't celebrate halloween in the Netherlands, otherwise I could have done something creepy with the belly. 

 

DO IT ANYWAY. :D 

 

20 hours ago, Manarelle said:

there's a pretty substantial rumor we're (re-)raising the dress code at work

UGH. 

 

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

 

Right? :D I mean, it is fall (almost) and that means halloween (which some of us have been prepping for since March), sooooooo.......

 

OOooh, what are you guys doing for Halloween?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Dutch were to commit to Halloween, it would probably be silly like the Germans do it so I am kind of glad personally. No offense to German Halloween of course.  :D Maybe check out the international community parties?

 

Yaaay. Really looking forward to fall. Going to purchase some extra thermowear so I can wear less layers though.... :p

 

booo for the raising of the dress code. If it CAN be lowered, it obviously is not needed. Who decides those things anyway? Continuity is important! :')

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, analoggirl said:

booo for the raising of the dress code. If it CAN be lowered, it obviously is not needed. Who decides those things anyway? Continuity is important! :')

 

Yeah, I agree. There was a fair bit of inanity when they lowered it, people going a little beyond what was in tended, but I'd thought it had died down. There have been a couple actual changes and whispers of changes that makes me wonder if the company is planning to head in a different direction. I've decided to just work with what's in front of me and not borrow trouble, while still being ready for anything that might get thrown my way. 

 

16 hours ago, analoggirl said:

If the Dutch were to commit to Halloween, it would probably be silly like the Germans do it so I am kind of glad personally. No offense to German Halloween of course.  :D Maybe check out the international community parties?

 

19 hours ago, raptron said:

DO IT ANYWAY. :D 

 

Yes. Yes yes yes 100% support both of these ideas. :)

 

19 hours ago, raptron said:

OOooh, what are you guys doing for Halloween?

 

The gentleman will likely be playing games inside, as usual. The theme at work will conveniently be superheroes and villains, so I can use the Thor outfit. 

 

65464204_10217567430851431_5287217913764249600_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_oc=AQl9BgZ7EsUWh0a1RH4Bxr5U1HEYDS238TaUMdmX0OX5Cf2MezsSPOhjBq23iGeBb3E&_nc_ht=scontent.fphl2-2.fna&oh=4e51e56ce57fb1f2d840d35d2c54effb&oe=5DF8EAEF

 

I added another small craft  to this challenge - I want to try blacking out the mask eyeholes. I found a tinted welding face shield on Amazon, and all of the reviews talk about it being great for cosplay, mostly for Mandalorian, Stormtrooper, or Boba Fett helmets. One review mentioned it is easy to trim to size using scissors, so I figured I'd wager the $7 to try it on a helmet with eyeholes. 

 

Unrelated, workout last night was not the greatest, as I'd tweaked a muscle in my back on Monday. Still wasn't 100% yesterday, so I made it a deload week, and think I worked out some form issues, mostly with squats and handstands. I think I need to focus more on consistent form for a bit than making progression, because twice now I've worked up to a certain weight and then plateau'ed right into a minor injury. I need to make that NOT a trend. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I don't think I said anything, but I (and others surely) would be happy to take a glance at your deadlift if you wanted to share some form check videos. Sorry to hear about the back tweak. :[

 

P.S. -- THAT THOR COSTUME IS STILL SO DOPE

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, raptron said:

Oh, I don't think I said anything, but I (and others surely) would be happy to take a glance at your deadlift if you wanted to share some form check videos. Sorry to hear about the back tweak. :[

 

P.S. -- THAT THOR COSTUME IS STILL SO DOPE

 

Thanks, I may take you up on that if I can't sort it out, but I'm pretty sure I know what I'm doing wrong. My hips and knees were not communicating well and when I bumped it up another 5 lbs, I ended up doing a "half-squat half-hinge wtf ok screw it go go gadget back muscles" fail move. It was bad enough that on the third attempt, I just stopped at the top, knowing I didn't want to bend again, and dropped the bar. Hate failing, but hate being in pain even more. 

 

Heh, thanks. Official debut is in just over a month (Oct 19th at Baltimore Comic Con). I'm quite thrilled. In fact, I need to get off my butt and set up an appointment to get the ends of my hair bleached, and another one to get them cut off again. Got permission from the straight-laced boss to get that done for con/ Halloween, but I don't want anyone starting stupid drama over "unnatural hair colors," since stupid work drama seems to be the name of the game these days.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Manarelle said:

but I don't want anyone starting stupid drama over "unnatural hair colors," since stupid work drama seems to be the name of the game these days.  

 

Wait, blonde is considered an "unnatural" hair color just because that's not what YOU have without dye?  If that's the case, I am very sorry that your office has such an insane dress policy.  That must be such a pain to deal with.  I have only ever seen that phrase refer to things like blue, purple, crazy bright red etc...stuff that no one has sans dye.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, raptron said:

P.S. -- THAT THOR COSTUME IS STILL SO DOPE

it really is, that photo looks so great! 

 

5 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I ended up doing a "half-squat half-hinge wtf ok screw it go go gadget back muscles" fail move.

:D

sorry

only laughing because I assume the twitch will heal up real soon :*

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 8:48 AM, Manarelle said:

I added another small craft  to this challenge - I want to try blacking out the mask eyeholes. I found a tinted welding face shield on Amazon, and all of the reviews talk about it being great for cosplay, mostly for Mandalorian, Stormtrooper, or Boba Fett helmets. One review mentioned it is easy to trim to size using scissors, so I figured I'd wager the $7 to try it on a helmet with eyeholes. 

If you have trouble getting the plastic to fit, I've had good luck with thin black mesh fabric.  Just test it in the store before you buy  to make sure you can see well enough to get around, then cut to size and hot glue in place, making sure to get the edges so it doesn't fray on you.  The face shield is going to be a sturdier option, if you can get everything to fit together though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Elennare said:

Wait, blonde is considered an "unnatural" hair color just because that's not what YOU have without dye?  If that's the case, I am very sorry that your office has such an insane dress policy.  That must be such a pain to deal with.  I have only ever seen that phrase refer to things like blue, purple, crazy bright red etc...stuff that no one has sans dye.

 

I don't know and I don't want to know. I wouldn't have thought anyone would start a major blowup over women wearing sleeveless shirts, or business skirts above the knee, either, and yet it happened. Prior to this year, I would have said that my boss was the most conservative person as far as dress codes go, but apparently he's loosened up a bit as I kept showing him pictures of the costume progressing. 

 

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

:D

sorry

only laughing because I assume the twitch will heal up real soon :*

 

No need to apologize, I was aiming for showing how silly it was. Wednesday was a bit rough still, but I have high hopes for today, even as a deload. 

 

1 hour ago, Anim07734 said:

If you have trouble getting the plastic to fit, I've had good luck with thin black mesh fabric.  Just test it in the store before you buy  to make sure you can see well enough to get around, then cut to size and hot glue in place, making sure to get the edges so it doesn't fray on you.  The face shield is going to be a sturdier option, if you can get everything to fit together though.

 

Good point. I'll go for that if the plastic doesn't work, thank you. This is why I like to start early... I'm having a lot of trial and error lately. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, to be fair, I always think about how my (future) male colleagues often wear their button-up, jacket and tie even in warm weather :p I am "glad" I get to go with a blouse because women's formal dress code is as loose as it is ambiguous. (For the rest it drives me crazy. Just give me some rules to follow. Otherwise I swear I will simply switch to pant suits and go 50s male fashion on everyone.) :D

 

Nevertheless, such drama over appearance... It is almost like they want to cover up they are not competent substance-wise, or that is always what I think when people stress over superficial stuff. Good on your for staying neutral and result-oriented (i.e. doing what's best for you financially). 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 4:09 PM, analoggirl said:

Nevertheless, such drama over appearance... It is almost like they want to cover up they are not competent substance-wise, or that is always what I think when people stress over superficial stuff. Good on your for staying neutral and result-oriented (i.e. doing what's best for you financially). 

 

I have my suspicions on who is causing the hubbub, and your skill assessment would be correct if I am, too. Thankfully, I do not work closely with the person/ people in question, so I'll just keep doing my thing until and unless told otherwise. 

 

On 9/13/2019 at 4:09 PM, analoggirl said:

Well, to be fair, I always think about how my (future) male colleagues often wear their button-up, jacket and tie even in warm weather :p I am "glad" I get to go with a blouse because women's formal dress code is as loose as it is ambiguous. (For the rest it drives me crazy. Just give me some rules to follow. Otherwise I swear I will simply switch to pant suits and go 50s male fashion on everyone.) :D

 

Dude this. I used to be a really cold person, temp-wise... it would be 80 outside and I'd still have thick socks on. Once I started working out and especially when I started lifting weights, my resting temp has risen and holy biscuits is it easy to overheat in the office. I usually have a sleeveless blouse and a thin cardigan on but there are some days, that cardigan's got to go. Can't imagine facing that in a long-sleeve button-up, suit jacket or no. I wish it were easy to get suit jacket and pants to look as good on the female form (ok, ok, specifically me) as it appears to be on the male form. They look super distinguished. I look frumpy. :/ Working on it, though.

 

On 9/13/2019 at 11:52 PM, Elennare said:

Found the metal finish stuff I was talking about before. Michael's had it with the etching stuff. It's called Rub n Buff.

 

Watched some videos on this.... that has a lot of possibility in cosplay, thank you!

 

Week 0:

  • Exercise - Yes-ish. Deload week due to back issues, and skipped cardio on Thursday due to same. 
  • Languages - Yes-ish. Skipped Thursday and Friday lunch practice due to an appointment, did class on Thursday despite really not wanting to. 
  • Learning - Still only one week behind. Keeping pace, and only one week of lessons left, so I'll be close to on time, at least!
  • Crafting: Backlash - dyed pants.

Little crazy again this week at work, starting to think the boss is trying to make it the new normal. I still kept up with art class, despite being highly intimidated by this week's lesson - a landscape from a description provided by the teacher. I was sort of faffing about, debating not doing it and just saying I'm not good enough, but that felt too much like giving up. Finally bit the bullet, actually looked up pictures of storm clouds and tractors, and did at least a rough sketch. 

 

9LoeaXF.jpg

 

If I had time to do it again, I would NOT use one vanishing point... the barn vs tractor perspective looks weird to me. But hey, I did it, and I think all the elements are at least recognizable. Not even close to finished or shaded, but recognizable. 

 

Languages and crafting took a hit again, but this next week is likely the last that will be interrupted by one-off appointments, so I'll keep doing my best around those. I did, at least, get the gentleman's pants dyed; once I know those are the right color, I can start mocking up the stripes. The boots are going to take a large chunk of time, which I don't see happening until next weekend. Exercise... just... I'm going to keep doing my best. I thought I was good with the deload week taking it easy, then went in for a massage on Saturday. I knew I was seeing someone new, as the therapist I've been seeing for 4 years left to go to school, but apparently something got switched around and I got a different therapist than planned and the dude was... not gentle. Or attentive. Or, if I am blunt, good. He ignored the places I told him I'm usually tight in, and had like a fixed idea of what areas should be hit and hit them over and over... and over... and over... to the point I feel sore at weird muscle junctures, like the front of my shoulder, just at the armpit. Or at the top of the iliac crest where the obliques meet the traps. And, needless to say, my erectors started freaking out again 'cause I'm moving weirdly. So I don't know/ can't plan how this week is going to go, trying to get over what happened there, but  I'll do my best. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the looking frumpy: the trick is to not worry about it and "smoke a cigar" (metaphorically). My problem was that I am relatively petite and I used to sag my shoulders and worry so I kinda look like a little boy (girl) made gone to church or so. 

 

Now, I think your posture is good but you might want to strut a bit in front of a mirror to see if anything changes that is related to your body. It is super silly I know :'D

 

But when you get your fit, and "smoke the cigar" it looks a lot better. It is not like all classy gents were and are superfit, but they all look better with a suit. (It helps when the front fits well and you have the right pockets so you do not get the loose parts. Because hips. And the "back" and sides needs to be tailered right to suit hips & a booty. ) 

 

Oh and if anything, the button-up needs to fit like a charm. Skinny guys might need the fitted button-ups (well, I forget the guide lines all the time), but we need them at almost at any fitness. It is not even about accentuating the front and waist, I find non-fitted button-ups simply do not look good (on me, anyways).

 

You might know all these things so I might sound a bit overeager to tell you these tips haha. But I like this topic.

 

I might go around online window shopping and see if I can find something in a reasonable price range. As a reward for finishing my assignment early, because I totally will not work on it until the last minute this time around? :p

 

That being said, I am happy I might have guessed the hubbubs motivations correctly :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Finally bit the bullet, actually looked up pictures of storm clouds and tractors, and did at least a rough sketch. 

Looks good!  I especially like the storm clouds in the back

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 10:39 PM, analoggirl said:

You might know all these things so I might sound a bit overeager to tell you these tips haha. But I like this topic.

 

Haha, no worries, I love getting advice from people who are passionate about a topic. I have NEVER found a button-up that fits well, just due to the bust/ waist ratio; I much prefer stretchy-fabric shirts that don't threaten to fall apart or make you look like The Amazing Blob. As far as posture, I am curious to try things on again, because I used to have really sloped, droopy shoulders until I started lifting weights - yay for delts - so now I want to see what a suit looks like with something for the shoulders to actually accentuate. 

 

On 9/15/2019 at 10:39 PM, analoggirl said:

That being said, I am happy I might have guessed the hubbubs motivations correctly :D

 

Lol, you win a cigar! :) 

 

22 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Looks good!  I especially like the storm clouds in the back

 

Thanks. Clouds in the foreground were not so good (although smudging would definitely help there), but I was struck that the clouds at the horizon line almost always looked darker. 

 

13 hours ago, traaki said:

I disappear for a while and you fully turn into a super hero! AMAZING to see it all come together.  <3 

 

Welcome back! And yes, I am very pleased with how it all came together. There are certainly things I'd do differently next time, but it's pretty dang good for a first attempt!

 

21 hours ago, raptron said:

Ugh, sorry about your bad massage. :[

 

Yeah, it gets worse, unfortunately. I was feeling sore but fairly ok on Sunday and Monday at work, then when I hit the gym, I figured I'd ease back into it, just in case, and did halfway between deload and the last full week. Was sore again by the end of it, but not too horrible. Drove home, went to get out of the car, and the lower back started spasming again, to the point where I had to drop all my stuff in the entryway and not move for a few minutes. Took some advil (which didn't help at all) and basically just had a crap evening of pain and trying not to move as much as possible. 

 

So, I have a new goal for this week: heal. I know going to the gym makes me want to push things, so I'm going to stay away at least on Wednesday, and I will do really gentle, slow walking for "cardio" on Tu/Th. Friday will be a re-evaluate day, but if I need to do a lame workout at home, then that's what will happen. I am quite miffed about missing a workout, but it beats feeling like I'm twice my age and in pain. I will also be more forceful about speaking up and even stopping a massage if need be... I think I was too worried about hurting the therapist's feelings by correcting them, but clearly I needed to, for my own health.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.