• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waanie

Waanie is looking for a goal

During the past challenges, my goal was to increase my exercise time to about an hour per day. Since this is now a habit, I'm looking for a new goal. I want to do aaaaaallll the things:

• Become a better climber
  • Get the household in order
  • Fix my posture
  • Fix my mental health so that I become more energetic again
  • Become stronger (e.g. do a pull-up or pistol squat)
  • Run a 5k
  • Become more flexible (e.g. do a decent bridge or splits)
  • Increase mobility (active flexibility)
  • Deal with muscle tension
  • Lose some weight
  • Eat less sugar
  • Start playing the clarinet again
  • Level up in Pokémon Go
  • Learn German

The challenges here work best for me if I focus on just one or two aspects, otherwise I might disappear again. I'm thinking about the following quests for this challenge:

1. Do yoga 4 times per week, following the September calendar of Yoga with Adriene.
  2. Spend 10 minutes every day on stretching, foam rolling and mobility work. Definitely stretch hip flexors, but otherwise do what I feel like that day.

Bonus quest:

3. Clean for 10 minutes before starting my day.

I might change my quests later this week, as I'm not sure if these are the best ones at the moment. I want to work on everything at the same time, but small steps work much better for me ;).

Lastly, by the end of the challenge I hope to have a more defined/measurable goal again for the next challenges.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Rookie said:

Following :) So many things we want to do... So little time / energy. I think you chose well for your goals. 

Thanks! I think most people here want to do too many things. I believe in whole-assing one or two things instead of half-assing ten things, but that's different from person to person.

This week I'm climbing a lot, by the way. I did not climb last week, so my climbing partner and I went on Monday to make up for it. Then I got invited to climb on Tuesday, and although those guys did not show up, I ended up climbing with someone who's new in the area. Tonight is a regular climbing night, so it'll be the third night in a row. I did not go to the edge both Monday and yesterday, so I should be fine. Tonight I'm planning to climb mostly on jugs (large holds) to spare my fingers, and hopefully some lead-climbing to build up some more endurance.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It's so hard to pick one or two things, kudos to you! 

18 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Prioritizing aaaaaaallll the things is hard, especially when all of them are so good for you.

Thanks, it is! I don't know if I made the optimal choice, but at least it's not a bad one. Yoga is helping a little with many things on the list, and while I've been doing it long enough that it should be a habit by now, it's not. The stretching is mostly for injury prevention, and it's low-key enough that it shouldn't be too hard. Cleaning is, you know, cleaning, and should be done even though I don't like it. I want to try if very early morning is a suitable moment for it, and I think it fits well in the challenge structure ;).

There's always a next challenge for the other goals!

• Like 2

Good luck with all the things, and the cleaning especially. If it's not a habit it's so easy to keep doing what you were always doing which wasn't cleaning. I have had to make myself lists and put reminders in the phone to get myself in good habits. But I think it's finally starting to work. Good luck!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Waanie said:

Clean for 10 minutes before starting my day.

Oof, more power to you making the goal for doing it at the start of your day!  I cannot do anything but survive getting out the door in the morning, haha.  One random thing I've been trying lately on the cleaning front is if it takes less than a minute, just do it.  My house still isn't clean but it's a lot less cluttered than I'd been letting it get and doesn't feel quite so overwhelming.   I empathize with the desire to do all the things.  Good luck!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, J3NN said:

Good luck with all the things, and the cleaning especially. If it's not a habit it's so easy to keep doing what you were always doing which wasn't cleaning. I have had to make myself lists and put reminders in the phone to get myself in good habits. But I think it's finally starting to work. Good luck!

Thanks! It seems that whenever I try something new, I at least stick to it for a few weeks or more, which means a cleaner home in that time ;). Otherwise, both my boyfriend and I are very good at not cleaning.

14 hours ago, zenLara said:

What a list, haha. I have one of those :D

Good luck with the cleaning, ugh.

Your list is always impressive as well :lol:. And yeah, there's a reason why the cleaning is a bonus quest, if everything gets to much, it will be dropped.

13 hours ago, redgrill18 said:

Oof, more power to you making the goal for doing it at the start of your day!  I cannot do anything but survive getting out the door in the morning, haha.  One random thing I've been trying lately on the cleaning front is if it takes less than a minute, just do it.  My house still isn't clean but it's a lot less cluttered than I'd been letting it get and doesn't feel quite so overwhelming.   I empathize with the desire to do all the things.  Good luck!

The start of the day is actually the moment that most things happen for me. Don't ask me to do anything after dinner though. Your method doesn't work for me unfortunately, I just realize even more what should be done, and you can always divide a task until it's smaller than a minute. My brain is my worst enemy sometimes...

Yesterday evening I climbed for the third evening in a row. I would not recommend that, but it actually went much better than I expected. My shoulders are now really empty, so today is a good day for a rest day. I folded some laundry in the morning, followed by breakfast, yoga and an hour of Pokémon Go. A successful morning :).

• Like 3

On 9/11/2019 at 5:16 AM, Waanie said:

Lastly, by the end of the challenge I hope to have a more defined/measurable goal again for the next challenges.

I like how you've picked out a few to focus on, and I like this goal, too. Adds some forward-thinking in :)

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 7:46 PM, bdwilson said:

I like how you've picked out a few to focus on, and I like this goal, too. Adds some forward-thinking in :)

Thanks! I'm trying very hard to disappear, which always happens if my goals are too hard. Over the past few days I'm thinking more and more about wanting to improve my posture and mobility, but that is still a far too large area to cover for the next few challenges. A specific programme might help, but again, there's too much out there.

Today I got up a bit late, but still did my 10 minutes of cleaning (dusting the bedroom and another room) before doing anything substantial. I biked to my counsellor and my friend, played PoGo with him and biked back home. I still have to stretch, but that will happen just before bed. It helps calm me down before sleep, and a fixed moment might help me in making it a habit ;).

• Like 3

Thanks! I'm trying very hard to disappear, which always happens if my goals are too hard. Over the past few days I'm thinking more and more about wanting to improve my posture and mobility, but that is still a far too large area to cover for the next few challenges. A specific programme might help, but again, there's too much out there.

Today I got up a bit late, but still did my 10 minutes of cleaning (dusting the bedroom and another room) before doing anything substantial. I biked to my counsellor and my friend, played PoGo with him and biked back home. I still have to stretch, but that will happen just before bed. It helps calm me down before sleep, and a fixed moment might help me in making it a habit .

Changing your own posture and mobility is a huge thing, right! But still comes with little improvements here and there. I am going to physiotherapy right now for that reason. The exercises he gave me are few minutes, even less and very easy! (he also stressed how the right bra can do miracles for women posture and back pain)
I find that better posture relaxes me, I feel less pain and more energy. I think that since you have the stretches, it's not that dissimilar.
  • Like 1

Yes, if you want to work on posture, a consult with a trainer or physio might not be a bad idea. Though physics will most likely ask you what the problem is you're trying to fix... is there a problem?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Yes, if you want to work on posture, a consult with a trainer or physio might not be a bad idea. Though physics will most likely ask you what the problem is you're trying to fix... is there a problem?

I think I have some anterior pelvic tilt and very slight rounded shoulders (just like 90% of the people). I'm out of sessions with a physio for this year, but I know for sure (after hip problems this year) that my hip flexors are very short and my lower back is stiff. My core strength seems to be okay, as it really surprised my physio how easily I could do the exercises. We did not talk about my shoulders, but the muscles around my shoulder blade are always very tight. This is stress related, so the general advise of all medical personnel is to have less stress (no shit, Sherlock), and that they cannot help me. This, of course, causes more stress, so I've given up on getting help for that for now. I currently roll out those muscles with a tennis ball, which at least prevents light-headedness.

I'm considering to start the GMB programme for either hips or shoulders to fix my problems there. How did you like their hip programme?

I think I have some anterior pelvic tilt and very slight rounded shoulders (just like 90% of the people). I'm out of sessions with a physio for this year, but I know for sure (after hip problems this year) that my hip flexors are very short and my lower back is stiff. My core strength seems to be okay, as it really surprised my physio how easily I could do the exercises. We did not talk about my shoulders, but the muscles around my shoulder blade are always very tight. This is stress related, so the general advise of all medical personnel is to have less stress (no shit, Sherlock), and that they cannot help me. This, of course, causes more stress, so I've given up on getting help for that for now. I currently roll out those muscles with a tennis ball, which at least prevents light-headedness.

I'm considering to start the GMB programme for either hips or shoulders to fix my problems there. How did you like their hip programme?
What causes yeur stress?

On 9/13/2019 at 9:26 PM, Diadhuit said:

Changing your own posture and mobility is a huge thing, right! But still comes with little improvements here and there. I am going to physiotherapy right now for that reason. The exercises he gave me are few minutes, even less and very easy! (he also stressed how the right bra can do miracles for women posture and back pain)
I find that better posture relaxes me, I feel less pain and more energy. I think that since you have the stretches, it's not that dissimilar.

It is huge, especially since my mobility is better than in the general population, but my climbing would benefit from better mobility. I'm hoping that better posture will help with the tension in my shoulders and hence my energy levels, but we'll see ;). What posture problems are you currently working on?

Yesterday was climbing day again, and I'm really getting more social with other climbers nowadays :). It helps that my new climbing partner is talking to everyone, and hence people without a partner invite themselves to climb with us. Yesterday we climbed with a guy who is climbing around the same level as me, although he has more reach and more strength, while my technique is better. I was climbing harder routes and more routes than I normally do, so hopefully my strength will increase accordingly.

The cleaning for 10 minutes per day really helps, my house is already much cleaner and tidier. If I do it early morning, I also don't have to think about doing it all day, which is a very nice feeling. My climbing was entirely guilt-free even though we spent 2.5 hours at the gym. The weekend groceries were in, I'd done my cleaning, so I really didn't need to go home for chores.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

What causes yeur stress?

My PhD programme, which is also my job. I'm 2.5 months away from graduation, and I'm very insecure about if everything will be alright. On top of that, I'm not even close to recovered from the earlier shenanigans in my project, so I'm still very easily overwhelmed with about anything unexpected...

Hah, I feel you on that list! :lol: Very mature of you to not pick all of them as goals all at once but realising there are many more challenges to come. I've cut out climbing in favour of handstands, so I'll be here to climb vicariously through you. ;) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hah, I feel you on that list! :lol: Very mature of you to not pick all of them as goals all at once but realising there are many more challenges to come. I've cut out climbing in favour of handstands, so I'll be here to climb vicariously through you. ;) 

Thanks! Good of you as well to cycle your goals, and not continuing climbing when you know you shouldn't ;). Normally I climb only twice a week, I hope that is vicarious enough for both of us. Now that you mention handstands, I realise that I forgot to put them on the list, just like other gymnastic- and parkour skills. Oh well, that's probably something for next spring/summer anyway :P.

Haha always glad to add to the list. :D The goal cycling is a very new thing, but so far so good, the FOMO hasn't kicked in very strong yet. Except for the free running class I'm also taking because my colleague did but sssh that doesn't count.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Haha always glad to add to the list. :D The goal cycling is a very new thing, but so far so good, the FOMO hasn't kicked in very strong yet. Except for the free running class I'm also taking because my colleague did but sssh that doesn't count.

You're doing it with a colleague, so it's social time and doesn't count as exercise B). Goal cycling is a new thing for me as well; I'm not sure how to actually choose any of them. It helps to know that there will always be "later", and there is no such thing as the perfect choice.

I have come to embrace goal cycling because I can move on to something new every time I get past the noob gainz stage, and by the time I come back to I am ready to get those noob gainz again :D 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I have come to embrace goal cycling because I can move on to something new every time I get past the noob gainz stage, and by the time I come back to I am ready to get those noob gainz again :D 

Noob gainz are the best! :D (Except when you repeat the same ones over and over again like I do :P)

1 hour ago, Waanie said:

You're doing it with a colleague, so it's social time and doesn't count as exercise B).

I like your thinking, can you please let my shoulders know? :lol:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Good for you! It's always fun when you can do things you couldn't do before :),...

19 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Noob gainz are the best! :D (Except when you repeat the same ones over and over again like I do :P)

...except that I'm like Mad Hatter, and repeat the same ones over and over again :P. Sometimes it's very frustrating to work on something that you could do a year ago, but not anymore. I have this with some skills, but not others. I don't mind starting at 6x1 minute running over and over again, but working towards my first push-up tends to get frustrating if you do it for the 10th time.

Today my head is in chaos because I have a big planning meeting this afternoon, where I'm fairly sure that some of the things I did are politically really incorrect. I have no ability in either my own or my supervisor's ability to plan though (I don't know what should be done, my supervisor doesn't look forward), so I asked this prof from another group to help us plan the rest of my PhD. The meeting with the university doctor this morning went very well, he was even nice enough to tell them the requirements for the planning, and asked for things I would never have dared to ask for.

Everyone around me seems to be convinced that everything will be alright and that I'm going to make it, but nobody seems to know how. I just get answers like "you've come this far, you're not going to fail on the last bit" and variations of that. Hopefully I will know "how" I'm going to finish my PhD by the end of the day.

Anyway, I did not do anything goal-related yet, which is okay, since the cleaning was a bonus quest this month anyway. On chaos-days like these I'm okay with not doing anything challenge-related except for stretching.

• Like 1