Waanie is looking for a goal

Waanie

36 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Good for you! It's always fun when you can do things you couldn't do before :),...

Certainly! Unfortunately in most cases I am like you and Hatter and end p getting the same new gains over & over again. A lot of the stuff I was able to almost do a year ago I am now back to initial progressions :(

Glad your meeting with the University Doctor went well.   Always great when you get someone higher up to ask for things for you! 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31Intermission [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Certainly! Unfortunately in most cases I am like you and Hatter and end p getting the same new gains over & over again. A lot of the stuff I was able to almost do a year ago I am now back to initial progressions :(

Glad your meeting with the University Doctor went well.   Always great when you get someone higher up to ask for things for you!

At least you now know how to go through the easy progressions without having to look it up every time. And at least for me, I gain back the skills more quickly than it took the first time to learn them.

The meeting this afternoon also went well. There is a plan that I believe is likely to work, made by someone with experience and hence I also don't have to be afraid to forget things. Hopefully it won't eat as much of my energy anymore now.

Also, this afternoon I went to uni by bike, as it is only 10km and the predictions told me there would be no more rain. They lied about that though, and I got wet on my way back since it was warm enough to go without coat. Now I'm typing this  in my warm, fleece bathrobe, slowly warming up again :P.

• Like 3

Week 1 update:

Yoga: 2/4

Stretching: 2/7

Cleaning: 2/0

The cleaning in the morning actually helps me mentally; even if it's only a little bit, a little bit a day goes a long way. It helps to have it out of the way early, so that I can enjoy other things without guilt :).

I stretched my wrists too agressively, and now they hurt. I hope I'll be able to climb tonight, and it won't be a long drawn-out injury...

• Like 2
On 9/16/2019 at 5:18 PM, Waanie said:

The meeting this afternoon also went well. There is a plan that I believe is likely to work, made by someone with experience and hence I also don't have to be afraid to forget things. Hopefully it won't eat as much of my energy anymore now.

So glad to hear this! :)

On 9/14/2019 at 10:32 PM, Waanie said:

I think I have some anterior pelvic tilt and very slight rounded shoulders (just like 90% of the people). I'm out of sessions with a physio for this year, but I know for sure (after hip problems this year) that my hip flexors are very short and my lower back is stiff. My core strength seems to be okay, as it really surprised my physio how easily I could do the exercises. We did not talk about my shoulders, but the muscles around my shoulder blade are always very tight. This is stress related, so the general advise of all medical personnel is to have less stress (no shit, Sherlock), and that they cannot help me. This, of course, causes more stress, so I've given up on getting help for that for now. I currently roll out those muscles with a tennis ball, which at least prevents light-headedness.

I'm considering to start the GMB programme for either hips or shoulders to fix my problems there. How did you like their hip programme?

I haven't actually done their hip program, I did do 'unbreakable hips' for a while, which I'd recommend but it isn't about flexibility. 

You list what you think is wrong with your posture, but the only problem you've mentioned is light-headedness. What other problems are the things you've listed causing? 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

47 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I haven't actually done their hip program, I did do 'unbreakable hips' for a while, which I'd recommend but it isn't about flexibility. 

Ah, my bad. I can't find it? They also have a hip mobility sequence, which I was somewhat looking at. I don't know if my hips are (too) weak; they seem to be fine during climbing although I can't always lift my legs high enough. Currently I'm in the "want all the things" stage, so more mobility and fewer injuries in my hips would be welcome, along with a thousand other things ;)

47 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

You list what you think is wrong with your posture, but the only problem you've mentioned is light-headedness. What other problems are the things you've listed causing? 

I think it's mostly aesthetic problems, on top of a vague feeling of tension everywhere? I mean, sure, I have to be mindful of my core if I stand still for longer than a few minutes (otherwise back pain), and my hands stop working if I'm both stressed and haven't done upper back exercises in a while. Maybe you've just convinced me to put this low on the list :P. Thanks for your input!

Anytime :D

If you do get to the bottom of your list, here is a link; 

https://theunbreakablebody.com/2019/07/08/how-to-build-hips/

I generally subscribe to the philosophy that stretching is nice, but only if you have a specific goal- otherwise building strength and mobility is far more useful. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Anytime :D

If you do get to the bottom of your list, here is a link; 

https://theunbreakablebody.com/2019/07/08/how-to-build-hips/

I generally subscribe to the philosophy that stretching is nice, but only if you have a specific goal- otherwise building strength and mobility is far more useful. 

Interesting! I'm very lax about stretching after training, and often I can feel the muscles relax somewhat when I stretch. Otherwise, I guess only my hip flexors are holding me back in real life, as brisk walking often brings them to a full stretch until I'm warm. 

A "high feet" challenge would be cool, where I'd train to both be able to lift my feet as high as possible, but also the strength to stand up on that leg. They are two of my weak points in climbing, and I need them a lot because of my length. Not sure how to train that, but that's what the next 4 weeks are for ;).

Yesterday I went climbing, but only very shortly and only easy routes. My wrist seems to be really injured, in the sense that if I use it in the wrong way, the pain gets worse. No pain during daily life except for cutting food, so that's something at least.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Waanie said:

A "high feet" challenge would be cool, where I'd train to both be able to lift my feet as high as possible, but also the strength to stand up on that leg. They are two of my weak points in climbing, and I need them a lot because of my length. Not sure how to train that, but that's what the next 4 weeks are for ;).

That is a cool challenge! What comes to mind for strength is really high step ups, shrimp squats, perhaps elevated with assistance, side lunge variations... For mobility things like hip CARs, after stretching in for example lizard pose.

• Like 2
On 9/19/2019 at 9:34 AM, Mad Hatter said:

That is a cool challenge! What comes to mind for strength is really high step ups, shrimp squats, perhaps elevated with assistance, side lunge variations... For mobility things like hip CARs, after stretching in for example lizard pose.

Those are great exercises :). I was also thinking about leg raises as well, to increase strength in my hip flexors (and hopefully also mobility, as my leg swings are waaaay higher than my leg raises).

Thursday I was sick, to the extent that I couldn't hold any food or drink. Yesterday I was mostly better, and today I could do things again. My wrist is also almost better, so I went climbing today :). We did not climb a lot, and I climbed almost only very easy routes, but I also managed to finish a lead climb I've never finished before :). I used a lot of "takes", where the belayer holds the rope while I rest, but that's fine for a first time.

Despite my body giving out this week, I'm in a good spot mentally :). What a difference a good manager at work can make ;).

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Rookie said:

Glad you were able to climb today without the wrist pain.

That's stretching it a bit... I still had a little pain, and today I felt it more than yesterday, but that's okay. It's increasing rapidly enough that I don't mind a small setback ;).

4 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Yay! Glad you could climb!

Thanks, me too! Almost always it does wonders for my mood :).

Today my head is in chaos again, since I want to do aaaallll the things. It should fit in my afternoon easily, but my head is going in circles and making everything bigger than it is. Anyway, I did do my yoga and stretching yesterday, and this morning I vacuumed the bedroom. I don't know how it gets so dusty so quickly every time...

Pro-tip: if you hug a climbing wall as a rest position, your arms might end up somewhat chafed :P.

Week 1 status:

Yoga 3/4

Stretching 5/7

Cleaning 3/0

• Like 1

Those are great exercises [emoji4]. I was also thinking about leg raises as well, to increase strength in my hip flexors (and hopefully also mobility, as my leg swings are waaaay higher than my leg raises).

I did my workout today and after reading this I think it might be an easy good one for you.6953b056621a2bb31dfc81018bb032ec.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

12 hours ago, J3NN said:

I did my workout today and after reading this I think it might be an easy good one for you.

Thanks, this brings me back to "Nederland in beweging", a TV programme that has a light  15 minute exercise session every workday (primarily meant for elderly people). They have a lot of this "marching" as well :P. Around the 5th set I was starting to feel my left hip flexor, around the 6th set my balance in the step-backs was not perfect anymore. Surprisingly, the 7th set was easier than the previous 2. I did some wall-angels and shoulder-dislocates in between the sets, so combined with some stretching afterwards I will count it as the mobility block of the day ;). My cat was enjoying herself as well, rubbing her head against me, my "yoga blocks" (duct-taped bricks) and yoga mat. Very cute, but also a bit annoying when she wants to lick me all the time (which she is not allowed at all).

In the end, I did not do the things I wanted to do yesterday evening :(. That means that the first week was not very successful:

Week 1

Yoga 3/4

Stretching/mobility 5/7

Cleaning 3/0

It didn't help that I was ill for 1-2 days, and my wrist hurt, but it still feels like I should have done better. One of the problems is that I don't enjoy yoga at the moment, so I'm going to look for another programme to follow. I will also think about a timer for mobility work in the evening.

• Like 4

You're being quite hard on yourself! Including sick days, you did well. 

Have you tried pilates? Maybe that would be nice for a change. 

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

my "yoga blocks" (duct-taped bricks)

brilliant :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

You're being quite hard on yourself! Including sick days, you did well. 

Have you tried pilates? Maybe that would be nice for a change.

Thanks! I've tried pilates twice, and both times I couldn't walk the next days because I re-injured my hip (from when I was 12... it never truly recovered). Since it's only pilates and balfolk, I decided to just skip these activities in my life. Activities that don't have many small movements from the hip are fine.

Today it's a 3/3 quests completed, a good start of the new week again :).

• Like 2

Thanks guys :). It's so hard to not be too hard on myself, so I have to repeat to myself that I did much more than if I wouldn't have had the goals.

Yesterday I took too long in reading the newspaper, so I couldn't do cleaning before work and afterwards I was a bit lethargic. I did stretch just before bed. Today I did a lot more again, including vacuuming the living room (which is not my favourite pastime, so it's good I did it early), yoga and playing the clarinet. I will start with clarinet lessons again on Monday, and hopefully also feel energetic enough soon for playing with the orchestra. I really like the social contacts there, but in the past months it always was very stressful to make sure I practised enough, showed up on time, etc., so I skipped it for a while. 

Tonight is climbing night, not sure yet how my wrist will keep today. It's almost better, but under weird angles I can still feel it.

Week 2 status

Yoga 2/4

Stretching/mobility 2/7

Cleaning 2/0

• Like 4
10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Those activities that actually make you feel good but can be stressful in stressful times are.. a conundrum! 

But great that you're starting up lessons again :) 

They are! There are too many things that I enjoy, and now that I'm starting to feel slightly better again, I'm picking up my social life as well. I have to be careful to not do too much though.

7 hours ago, bdwilson said:

That's fantastic! Good for you for getting back to it after a break :)

Thanks :). I'm improving again day by day, so that at least gives me some motivation to keep practising.

Yesterday was climbing day, and it was fun again :). While I did not manage to climb any hard routes, I did climb a lot. My shoulders notice it this morning, but that will go away again soon enough. My wrist is not entirely better yet, but well enough to climb most routes.

I think I'm starting to plan too many things again... It's very nice and all, and I do need the help with the design of the cover of my thesis, etc., but my days are filling up a bit too rapidly at the moment.

• Like 3
On 9/28/2019 at 12:43 AM, KB Girl said:

Could you maybe set a limit on how many work related or social things you're 'allowed' to do per day? Like one thing maybe, that sounds reasonable to me :d

I totally should! Some days that might not be possible, like work and clarinet lesson on Monday, or work and dinner with friends on Friday, but I should limit my social time. It's hard for me, since between November last year and April this year, I became very socially isolated. I did not work (managers couldn't be bothered to discuss what was necessary for me to start again), I did not climb and was very quiet in the orchestra. Now that I'm doing better again, I can have the social contact I crave, but not doing too much is a tricky balancing act.

Climbing on Friday was nice and quiet, and my climbing partner and I actually came up with an idea for the cover of my thesis. This is one of those not-quite-work things of which I don't know what to do with. I will discuss with the doctor tomorrow how to make sure I can do these kind of things without my health suffering for it too much, since there will be more "social work things that are maybe not strictly necessary for work" such as organising the party afterwards, sending invitations and buying clothes. I don't like doing these things, but it would be a huge breach of etiquette to not do it.

My next task of work also causes me a lot of anxiety, namely writing the acknowledgements. I have to look grateful to all the people who got me a burnout and did not want to help me afterwards, and also thank so many others in a joyful piece of text. It could almost be a form of therapy, finding positive and personal things to write about the people in my life that I dislike most.

Exercise-wise, my wrist is still hurting, so I won't be climbing today. The extra day of rest is also good for me. I'm starting to think that I should find alternatives for yoga as well, as I don't really like it anymore. The stretching is having an effect, as I don't feel my hip flexors getting stretched in a brisk walk anymore. I've started doing some shoulder mobility exercises as well, since all the stress and anxiety is wreaking havoc again. I can feel the difference between before and after, but I still need to take life more slowly to really get rid of the lightheadedness. 

Week 2 status

Yoga 3/4

Stretching/mobility 6/7

Cleaning 2/0

4 hours ago, Waanie said:

My next task of work also causes me a lot of anxiety, namely writing the acknowledgements. I have to look grateful to all the people who got me a burnout and did not want to help me afterwards, and also thank so many others in a joyful piece of text. It could almost be a form of therapy, finding positive and personal things to write about the people in my life that I dislike most.

I think I will not look at the acknowledgements page of a book in the way I always did never again.

It looks like you're going to need some willpower to write that page. I sincerely don't have any advice to give, other than to take it easy and try to disengage a bit.

Good luck for your clarinet lesson tomorrow! :)

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

16 hours ago, Waanie said:

I kinda want to read the uncensored, brutally honest version. :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1