Waanie is looking for a goal

Waanie

18 hours ago, zenLara said:

I think I will not look at the acknowledgements page of a book in the way I always did never again.

It looks like you're going to need some willpower to write that page. I sincerely don't have any advice to give, other than to take it easy and try to disengage a bit.

Good luck for your clarinet lesson tomorrow! :)

Thanks! I guess that in a book, it is not so bad, as it is not mandatory. However, for a PhD thesis it is more or less mandatory, so it's about as useful as a recommendation letter. I told my boyfriend this morning that I think it is easier to write the acknowledgements when drunk, but I'm not going to mix booze and work ^_^.

The clarinet lesson was great! I think that my last teacher was not very good, as my tone is already much better again. I have to work on my breath, so for the next week I'm only allowed to play forte and fortissimo (loud and even louder). I'll see if I can play when the neighbours are not at home :P. We're also working on my embouchure, since my high notes are too low. I never noticed that myself, and my last teacher also never noticed it, so I'm really glad that I switched teachers :).

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I kinda want to read the uncensored, brutally honest version. :D 

I'm not going to write that :P. It would include a mercurial supervisor, an uncaring manager and an oblivious daily supervisor. I'm not even going to look online to see  if I can find expressions that are insults in British, but compliments in international English (since my supervisor is English). I can be an adult :lol:.

Yesterday was a quiet day with boardgames (Spirit Island), some yoga, baking flammkuchen and otherwise lazing around. Today was already a busy day, and I'm trying to convince myself I really shouldn't go to orchestra repetition tonight. I feel energetic and happy, but I'm afraid I'll pay the price yesterday if I start going to the orchestra again tonight. I also need to get more cleaning going on, I was really lax about that last week :P. At least food will be easy; just some carrots, onions, potatoes and sausage shoved into the oven.

Week 2 status

Yoga 4/4

Stretching/mobility 7/7

Cleaning 2/0

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm not going to write that :P. It would include a mercurial supervisor, an uncaring manager and an oblivious daily supervisor. I'm not even going to look online to see  if I can find expressions that are insults in British, but compliments in international English (since my supervisor is English). I can be an adult :lol:.

Disappointing. :P It sounded like this would go down really well with the drinking. :D 

Awesome that your new teacher is so much better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Disappointing. :P It sounded like this would go down really well with the drinking. :D 

Awesome that your new teacher is so much better!

It would :P. I did decide to not drink and write as well, even though that might have been easier.

In the end, I decided not to go to orchestra rehearsal yesterday evening, and looking at my energy levels then and now I think that it was the correct decision. I'm not exhausted, but also not 100% energy. Maybe next week.

Otherwise, I did all the things yesterday afternoon, from folding laundry to yoga. I'm actually going to give myself half points if I adult 10 consecutive minutes during a day if it's not early morning. Hopefully this motivates me more to do something in the afternoon if I didn't manage to do it early morning.

So, the current week 3 status is 

Yoga 1/4

Stretching/mobility 1/7

Cleaning 0.5/0

• Like 1

I'm impressed with how you're managing yourself through these things :) half points sound smart and good decision making on the orchestra. 

Balancing acts are hella difficult, but so good for you. 

The last couple years I've been trying out brutal honesty more and more, like being asked in a restaurant if it was good and you know.. just being honest about it (very not dutch). But being honest in your acknowledgements is probably maybe probably I guess a step too far. I can't decide. Maybe just leave them out altogether? :P not brutal honesty but not lying either? x) 

Probably very much not done huh? And they still get to decide if it's good enough? 

• Like 1

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl dusts off her competition skills

my instagram - my gym's instagram

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I'm impressed with how you're managing yourself through these things :) half points sound smart and good decision making on the orchestra. 

Balancing acts are hella difficult, but so good for you. 

Thanks! I had to learn by repeatedly going over my boundaries, would not recommend ;). It's also exhausting to always wonder if I can do something or not, but fortunately I'm getting better at making a decision and standing by it. Still hard though.

4 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

The last couple years I've been trying out brutal honesty more and more, like being asked in a restaurant if it was good and you know.. just being honest about it (very not dutch). But being honest in your acknowledgements is probably maybe probably I guess a step too far. I can't decide. Maybe just leave them out altogether? :P not brutal honesty but not lying either? x) 

Probably very much not done huh? And they still get to decide if it's good enough? 

I'm usually honest, although I might make the negative things seem smaller than they are in reality. Since I have an autistic spectrum disorder, things that might bother me are often well-intentioned, and things like noise are bothering me more than the average person. When I see a person repeatedly or if the person asking can do something about it, I nowadays am brutally honest, otherwise I say something non-committal (not lying, but also not starting an argument). It doesn't help that the first time I actively used the guidelines for assertive behaviour, I got shouted at by my supervisor. Although my psychologist said there was nothing wrong with what I wrote, it still makes it hard to be assertive at work.

I know one person who left out the acknowledgements because he disliked his promotor that much. Since I genuinely enjoyed me PhD project for the first 2-3 years, I can say positive things about everyone involved without lying. I might not show my true emotions, but I'm not gonna lie. It will be a public work, so my future employers will also be able to read it. Being publicly negative about my boss is not going to help me in finding a job next year ;). They have to decide if it's good enough before they are going to read the acknowledgements (as far as I understood), and they are not going to fail me on that. Still, it will be the most-read part of my thesis, so I want it to be proper.

• Like 2

Just popping in to say that I hatched a Pichu from one of your gifts, my daughter is so jealous and now she wants to be Pogo friends with you :)

Sounds like you're hanging in there. I hope your wrist heals soon, aches and pains are no fun and make it so hard to do all the rest... it definitely uses up a spoon or two when you're in pain.

Take care!

• Like 1

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

44 minutes ago, J3NN said:

Just popping in to say that I hatched a Pichu from one of your gifts, my daughter is so jealous and now she wants to be Pogo friends with you :)

Sounds like you're hanging in there. I hope your wrist heals soon, aches and pains are no fun and make it so hard to do all the rest... it definitely uses up a spoon or two when you're in pain.

Take care!

Cool :). Feel free to give your daughter my PoGo trainer code, although I haven't been very active this week. I saw that you are levelling really quickly :).

I also hope my wrist heals soon, it currently hurts the most when cutting hard vegetables/cheese. Very annoying, especially since this week is a carrot week (we buy them 1kg at a time, and eat multiple days from it).

49 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Cool :). Feel free to give your daughter my PoGo trainer code, although I haven't been very active this week. I saw that you are levelling really quickly :).

I also hope my wrist heals soon, it currently hurts the most when cutting hard vegetables/cheese. Very annoying, especially since this week is a carrot week (we buy them 1kg at a time, and eat multiple days from it).

Will do, thank you :)

We had cooked carrots with onions this weekend at my Aunt's house. I've never had that before and it was really good. I bet it was easy too, I'll have to try to find a recipe. Carrots are a good affordable option for vegetables... and not broccoli which is the staple at our house and gets old. :) What's your favorite carrot recipe?

• Like 1

J3NN

Current Challenge || Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

I accepted her friend request. I guess I have to go out and play now, otherwise I can't send her a gift :P.

For carrots, you can go many different styles. Some of my favourites include:

There's also more traditional dishes, such as hutspot (boiled carrot, onion and potato mashed together), shepherds pie or bolognese sauce. I don't really like mashed carrots, so we're not eating the former two often. Bolognese sauce is often too much work for me, but my boyfriend makes it a few times per year. Boiled carrots and peas are also a classic, but I also don't really like that. I often put a carrot in tomato sauces (pasta sauce, chilli, etc.), either in small cubes or grated. Earlier this weak, I cut them in sticks and roasted them with thyme, rosemary, seasoning and vegetable oil. There's plenty of other options as well, over the years I became creative with it ;).

For your broccoli, you can also peel the stump and cut into small pieces, to be used as a neutral tasting crunch in soups and sauces. I never do that, but some of my friends do and it doesn't taste bad.

• Like 2

Although my wrist is still not better, I decided to go climbing on Thursday and Saturday. Daily life seems to be much harder on them than climbing, so I just went for it. Yesterday there was a fun competition with 20 routes and 20 boulders, of which I completed 11 and 8 respectively :). If you add the failed attempts and cooling down, that's a lot of metres, and I feel my body all over today. My legs and glutes gave out first, and today my glutes and lats are most sore, so at least my technique is working for me ;). Next challenge I want to work on strength in my lower body, so that hopefully during the competition next year I can complete more routes :P.

I missed my mobility work on Thursday, but otherwise this week is going well challenge wise. Cleaning is still something that I don't do often enough, but at least my house is liveable at the moment. I still have to do yoga today, which will be very slow and laid back instead of more active. I'm just too sore for anything vigorous.

Also, autumn has arrived. I encountered a lot of mushrooms in the forest!

EmDBtAq.jpg?1

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

What a pretty mushroom <3 

Nice work on the comp dude, that's some killer endurance!!

Thanks :). The endurance of most other participants was even better! Not sure how they do it; my legs are still sore two days later. 

This afternoon I will post a week 2 report, now it's time for 10 minutes of kitchen cleaning ;).

22 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Thanks :). The endurance of most other participants was even better!

Not really worth comparing. :) They might be stronger, have better technique, have more experience, meaning they need less endurance... There are so many things that go into it!

I just think it's impressive because 8 medium-hard boulders alone would already be A LOT for me in a session. :lol:

• Like 1

Not really worth comparing. :) They might be stronger, have better technique, have more experience, meaning they need less endurance... There are so many things that go into it!

I just think it's impressive because 8 medium-hard boulders alone would already be A LOT for me in a session. :lol:

Fair enough! Usually I climb around 10 routes, including warming up/cooling down, and this was much more. I guess that most of the participants were just really bad-ass :lol:

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Made me laugh a little because it's so relatable! 

Oh yeah, if it doesn't hurt I can do the thing, right? xD

Week 3 report

Yoga 4/4

Mobility/stretching 6/7

Cleaning 3/0

This week was good goal-wise, and on top of climbing twice as well :). My cleaning is still behind, but at least my house is not getting dirtier than it was ;).

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I mean, that is what even physios recommend, so yeah. :) 

Oh, that's nice. Now I don't have to feel guilty about climbing anymore :).

27 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I call that a win.

Me too!

Yesterday was a really busy day; working, clarinet lesson and orchestra rehearsal. It was probably a bit too much, as I couldn't sleep yesterday evening after orchestra and woke up very tired this morning. It didn't help that it was the first time back at orchestra, so everyone was asking how I was doing and what a PhD graduation looks like... Maybe next week will be better in that regard. At least I really enjoyed making music together again. Before work, I cleaned the kitchen (I even opened one of the ovens to start cleaning it before time was over). In between all the craziness, I did yoga that I really liked (yoga for if you're as stiff as a robot by Erin Motz), and rolled around on the ground and called it mobility work. 

Yesterday's food was easy and tasty; salad with small potatoes, bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, walnuts and feta cheese. It was very colourful, and tasted both autumny and fresh :).

On 10/7/2019 at 3:11 PM, Waanie said:

This week was good goal-wise, and on top of climbing twice as well :)

Nice!

On 10/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, Waanie said:

yoga for if you're as stiff as a robot by Erin Motz

do you mean I can type that and find a video with that title? :D sHould give it a go

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Yesterday was exhausting, on top of an exhausting Monday! There was some confusion about paperwork, and nobody in our group actually knows what I should/shouldn't do. I figured it out after a few phone calls, but it felt like a waste of energy. In the afternoon I went to the party-location to talk about some organisational details, but fortunately I did not have to decide much; they will organise everything as they think best. I was planning to cook these fancy fajitas with roux-based sauce, but in the end I just make chicken/bell pepper wraps with the same ingredients (chicken, bell pepper, onion, tomato puree, cheese, salad) and extra garlic. It was very tasty even though it was not fancy. Somehow, when I'm exhausted I crave garlic and spicy food for dinner. I'm weird like that ;).

Today and tomorrow, I will not read my email and not do anything for the organisation of my PhD. I should rest and think of other stuff, so I folded a few loads of laundry, played some Harry Potter, Wizards Unite! on my way to the grocery store, called with an aunt and played the clarinet. This afternoon I will go to a friend and play either Pokemon Go or Dance Dance Revolution, depending on the weather. It will be fun either way :).

• Like 1

Wednesday I still did waay too much, even though I planned for it to be a rest day. I'm not sure what happened, but I was so tired in the afternoon that I had to cut the PoGo with friend short, and went to bed early after doing some very short yoga and longer stretching/foam rolling session. I focused on my lats a bit, and my overhead mobility improves so much if I stretch them, it's insane! 

Thursday I started of very productive with tidying/cleaning the living room and kitchen, walking, baking muffins, cooking beans, and doing some laundry. Now my energy is gone though, and I haven't played the clarinet yet nor done my yoga. I have portioned out my beans:

aqRTvrJ.jpg?1

On the left are black beans, including the big zip-lock, on the right are black-eyed peas. I prefer my beans cooked from dried, since the taste is so much better and they are much cheaper (I saved around €5 with this batch compared to canned). Once they're cooled down, I'll put them in the freezer. I love beans, so these will probably be gone within a month ;).

Week 4 status:

Yoga: 2/4

Mobility: 3/7

Cleaning: 3/0

• Like 1