• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Waanie

Waanie is looking for a goal

Soooo tired. Thursday's food was great; a stir fry with chicken, brussels sprouts, mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, courgette and cashews with a delicious sauce:

ITB2Mi4.jpg?1

Climbing on Thursday night was meh, especially because many new routes assume that you're at least 5cm taller than I am...

Otherwise, I did not do anything on my challenge since my last update, I just haven't got the mental energy to start anything, even for 10 minutes.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Otherwise, I did not do anything on my challenge since my last update, I just haven't got the mental energy to start anything, even for 10 minutes.

It's ok, you have a lot on your plate. Just take care of yourself, the rest can wait. :) 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2019 at 9:33 AM, Mad Hatter said:

It's ok, you have a lot on your plate. Just take care of yourself, the rest can wait. :) 

I know, it's still frustrating though ;). It doesn't help that I'm not sure what the best way to care for myself is.

Last week, I decided to continue taking it slow during the weekend. I did go climbing on Saturday, but only climbed relatively easy routes. For this week, we decided to go for easier meals than last week, more towards 20 minutes of cooking than 30 minutes. Somehow we picked all vegetarian meals as well, which is good since we want to eat less meat anyway.

Currently I'm coming down with a cold. Combined with the thesis-stress and irregular work hours this week, it will be a week for surviving instead of improving. Next week will be hectic as well, since that's (most likely) the deadline for my thesis to go to the printer. No idea what I still have to do until then, which is annoying.

Week 4 report

Yoga 2/4

Mobility 5/7

Cleaning 4/0

• Like 3

Sometimes you just gotta survive. To be honest it sounds like you're doing quite well on self care and being mild towards yourself. 

I hope you can figure out a list of last things to do before printing, just for your peace of mind. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2019 at 11:46 AM, KB Girl said:

Sometimes you just gotta survive. To be honest it sounds like you're doing quite well on self care and being mild towards yourself. 

I hope you can figure out a list of last things to do before printing, just for your peace of mind. 

Thanks :). I do have a manageable todo list now, even though I don't know if I'll get more feedback from the committee. The reports only get sent to my supervisor when they are all in, and of course there's at least one person more than half a week late.

On 10/16/2019 at 1:25 AM, bdwilson said:

I hope you feel better soon and that things get sorted out with the printing. Take care of yourself this week :) 

I'm still alive! I did not track my challenge-goals this week, as it was just about surviving, but somehow I still got in around two hours of exercise every day. I did do some climbing yesterday as well, and  even though I did not not climb hard (again!), I felt better afterwards. Today is a rest day (so get groceries, clean the kitchen, that kind of day), and tomorrow I'm going to enlist my boyfriend for helping with the more informal parts of my thesis, like the acknowledgements and cover design. Being insecure sucks, although it's understandable when you have to make a booklet out of 5 years work.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm still alive!

Win! :D 

21 hours ago, Waanie said:

but somehow I still got in around two hours of exercise every day.

That's awesome.

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 7:19 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Win! :D 

That's awesome.

Thanks! If I regained something from my previous challenge, it's the ease with which I go for a walk or other light exercise, no matter how bad I feel.

End of challenge time!

My goal during this challenge is to find an actual goal for the next few challenges. Looking at my activity, I would mostly like to improve my climbing this winter, and especially not feeling so weak whenever I'm climbing. Since my next challenge will be hectic again (my PhD defence is in the last week), I decided to add a little strength training and more focused mobility work:

1. Tuesday legday -> do at least 3 sets of a squat variation and at least 3 sets of a hinge variation every Tuesday

2. Do GMB's hip mobility routine every day

Concerning my second goal, namely to keep mobile, I think I also succeeded. I rarely feel that tightness in my muscles makes daily life harder, unless I'm really stressed. The yoga helped me to do some light exercise without having to think too much as well.

My house is still in an acceptable state, and my thesis is almost finished, so my life goals are also achieved. However, I'm lately experiencing a lot of negativity again, where everything in the world seems bad. I now that this of course is not true, but my ability to deal with setbacks is very low again (due to stress, of course). I will add two goals next challenge that hopefully help me with this:

3. Write down 3 positive things of that day every evening (preferably not the same every day :P)

4. Have half an hour of "active downtime" every day, in which I'm doing something where I can let my thoughts roam. This can include walking, biking, jigsaw, baking, mobility work without a plan, etc.

I have consistently climbed twice a week during this challenge, for which I'm also glad :). My wrist is still not entirely better, but at least I don't feel it during climbing anymore. My climbing endurance increased, and while my grade level has not increased, I do feel more comfortable on the easier climbs again. I hope that with increased leg strength and hip mobility, I can use high feet more effectively to compensate for my shortness.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Waanie said:

especially not feeling so weak whenever I'm climbing.

Does this ever actually happen? :P I feel you just climb harder things, feeling equally weak. :lol:

It's fantastic you're being proactive about the negativity creeping in. And in general how capable you are of keeping your shit together during stressful times. Very impressive!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Does this ever actually happen? :P I feel you just climb harder things, feeling equally weak. :lol:

Probably not, but at least it's normal if your fingers/fore arms are not strong enough. Having weak legs and hips is weird :lol:.

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's fantastic you're being proactive about the negativity creeping in. And in general how capable you are of keeping your shit together during stressful times. Very impressive!

Thanks! It's so hard, and sometimes I wonder why I even do it anymore. I know I must finish my PhD after all the effort I put in and considering how close I am now, but I have no motivation for it at all anymore. I'm not even looking forward to the party, since I'm fairly sure that I will be exhausted by then and there is this "tradition" in the group where your most embarrassing moments of your PhD are highlighted for all guests. I asked the one organising that part to not do it, but apparently I don't have a choice. I chose the location to be relatively close to home, but I think leaving very early at my own party is simply not done... Anyway, this is the type of negativity that I have to deal with all day, on top of wondering if I will find a job (realistically: no problem if I'm not burnt out), how that will go, etc.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1