KB Girl and the fight for women's rights

Isn't that a fun title? At the end of this challenge I'll be attending the European kettlebell sport championships, for the first time without competing. I didn't want to pay for it, but we successfully lobbied our federation into funding my trip because there will be an important vote there on the future of women in kettlebell sport. Me and several other country representatives will be fighting for equality. Sometimes I feel silly putting so much time and effort (and indignation at injustices) into 'just a sport' while there are more important things going on in the world....  but... well... at least I can make a difference here? 

To keep with the theme here are my challenge goals; 

1. prep for my trip to Ukraine for the EC
    This involves several things like submitting my proposal for new protocols, coaching/prepping and registering the athletes I'm bringing and keeping up with some other tasks for the dutch federation that have been on the back burner while dealing with first trimester fatigue. 
  2. (finally) finish my course on training for pregnant and post partum women
    Women specific care is still appalling, so I should get on with this.
    The course material is very interesting but the way it is delivered just really really doesn't work for me.. it's time to suck it up and fight through it though. 
  3. take care of home and hearth
    Some daily goals here; 
    3a. do something to keep the place clean/functioning every day
    3b. work on one of my projects every day, even if it's just for a little bit (writing/photo albums/decluttering)
    3c. make sure to keep up the daily outside time for the toddler, the dog and the pregnant lady (me), now that the weather is back to it's rainy old ways
    3d. cook and plan food with 66% of normal budget

I'll also try to get back to the same frequency of training, just to keep that habit. With lower volume/intensity.

• Like 14
42 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Sometimes I feel silly putting so much time and effort (and indignation at injustices) into 'just a sport' while there are more important things going on in the world....  but... well... at least I can make a difference here? 

I say totally worth it (and needed!)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

Me and several other country representatives will be fighting for equality.

It's such a pity that this is necessary :(. What types of inequality are you currently encountering?

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

now that the weather is back to it's rainy old ways

Friday and the weekend will have better weather again :).

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Me and several other country representatives will be fighting for equality. Sometimes I feel silly putting so much time and effort (and indignation at injustices) into 'just a sport' while there are more important things going on in the world....  but... well... at least I can make a difference here? 

NOT SILLY AT ALL!!! Every step is important and making headway in the areas you are already involved in and have clout is A GREAT THING TO DO. 

To keep with the theme here are my challenge goals; 

1. prep for my trip to Ukraine for the EC
    This involves several things like submitting my proposal for new protocols, coaching/prepping and registering the athletes I'm bringing and keeping up with some other tasks for the dutch federation that have been on the back burner while dealing with first trimester fatigue. 
  2. (finally) finish my course on training for pregnant and post partum women
    Women specific care is still appalling, so I should get on with this.
    The course material is very interesting but the way it is delivered just really really doesn't work for me.. it's time to suck it up and fight through it though. 
  3. take care of home and hearth
    Some daily goals here; 
    3a. do something to keep the place clean/functioning every day
    3b. work on one of my projects every day, even if it's just for a little bit (writing/photo albums/decluttering)
    3c. make sure to keep up the daily outside time for the toddler, the dog and the pregnant lady (me), now that the weather is back to it's rainy old ways

I'll also try to get back to the same frequency of training, just to keep that habit. With lower volume/intensity.

YA YA YA. ALL GOOD. Freaking materials about women's health continue to be disappointing, of course. Glad you are working to fight through it though!

3 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Also let's talk about the September 2020 meetup?

Yesss! I'd lean for the weekend of the 5-6 or of the 19-20! (And would likely be around for longer than just a weekend, haha.)

Of course it's not silly! You're doing what you can to create a real positive impact. It might seem like it's only in your sport, but it's not, you're indirectly sending signals to the world that things need to change and it's awesome. 

1 hour ago, raptron said:
  •  The course material is very interesting but the way it is delivered just really really doesn't work for me.. it's time to suck it up and fight through it though. 

Future project? ;) 

Yayayay meetup!

<3

Now I feel silly in a different way, but it means a lot to me that you all don't think it's silly :tranquil:

5 hours ago, Waanie said:

It's such a pity that this is necessary :(. What types of inequality are you currently encountering?

Women have only been allowed to compete at the worlds since 2001 and then only one lift that they performed with only 1 KB. This changed in 2016 when they added another lift, but still only 1 KB. In 2017 they added double kettlebells on one lift and in 2018 on another lift and now women have 4 different lifts (men have 2) and it's impossible to prepare for competition in a serious way because the lifts themselves AND the required weight changes every year. The men in charge seem to think we should shut up and enjoy that we have all the lifts now, but dividing the participating women over 4 lifts is actually not desirable at all (men have 2 lifts). 

And that's just the major issue.... for example we still haven't gotten the rule through that women's weigh-in has to be done by a female judge, the small victory 2 years ago was that we can choose not to weigh-in topless any longer. Yes you're reading that correctly. I remember very well my first worlds in 2014 weighing in in front of 3 old Russian dudes. It's interesting the kind of things you'll do because everyone else does them, especially when there is a language barrier involved. 

3 hours ago, raptron said:

Yesss! I'd lean for the weekend of the 5-6 or of the 19-20! (And would likely be around for longer than just a weekend, haha.)

Both sound good! There is usually a competition in September I would like to go to, but they don't announce that very early so I'll just hope to get lucky. 

5-6 would probably give the best chance of good weather, but I don't know about the flights? Also just a weekend? At least a long one right? :D

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Future project? ;) 

hahaha! Noooo. 

Actually there are different online (and offline) courses popping up left and right, so while the quality needs work, things are definitely improving. 

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Women have only been allowed to compete at the worlds since 2001 and then only one lift that they performed with only 1 KB. This changed in 2016 when they added another lift, but still only 1 KB. In 2017 they added double kettlebells on one lift and in 2018 on another lift and now women have 4 different lifts (men have 2) and it's impossible to prepare for competition in a serious way because the lifts themselves AND the required weight changes every year. The men in charge seem to think we should shut up and enjoy that we have all the lifts now, but dividing the participating women over 4 lifts is actually not desirable at all (men have 2 lifts). 

And that's just the major issue.... for example we still haven't gotten the rule through that women's weigh-in has to be done by a female judge, the small victory 2 years ago was that we can choose not to weigh-in topless any longer. Yes you're reading that correctly. I remember very well my first worlds in 2014 weighing in in front of 3 old Russian dudes. It's interesting the kind of things you'll do because everyone else does them, especially when there is a language barrier involved. 

Whut in the 19th century?

Following to watch you fight the good fight.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Whut in the 19th century?

Following to watch you fight the good fight.

It's insanity! At least it's improving rather fast as there is more and more western influence. Our next project will be to get a woman on the board (10 men right now), preferably in one of 3 executive functions. 

22 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Keep fighting the good fight KB Girl.

Old Russian dudes *shakes head*
In MMA you can disrobe behind a screen if you need to.
http://mmaimports.com/2017/07/ufc-female-needs-to-undress-to-make-weight-heres-the-all-female-weigh-ins-replay/amp/

Honestly I wouldn't be entirely comfortable with that situation either, but I suppose concessions must be made for publicity reasons.. 

11 hours ago, Waanie said:

I'm glad that you are sent to the EC to fight for your rights! That sounds horrible, and not 21st century at all. Good luck!

Thank you! Things have been changing rapidly in the last 2 years, so I'm optimistic :) 

2 hours ago, bdwilson said:

Go for it! That situation sounds really frustrating :blink:

Honestly the worst part is coaching female athletes and having to constantly change your long term goals. 

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

You are amazing <3  

(Also, congrats on the pregnancy! I was away during the last challenge and clearly missed this bit.)

Thank you! Twice! :) 

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Fascinating and face palm inducing, in equal measures, history snippet. :) 

I vote long weekend! :D 

Oh I should let you read the 'study' they published 4 years ago that was basically an opinion piece on that women shouldn't lift 2 bells because otherwise their uterus would fall out. 

4-7 september then? :)

• Like 1

I've added a sub goal because I need to make do with two thirds of my usual grocery budget for a couple of weeks, which should be doable with some mindful use of freezer/shelf items and smart shopping. 

Wednesday

It was raining all day, but in between showers we went for a walk. Toddler in her rain boots having the time of her life making huge splashes :) 

I'm counting putting up a new challenge as my writing bit (it's week zero after all). I did two loads of laundry and I cooked with beans from the cupboard and all the leftover veggies from the fridge. (it was beans and pork with carrot, cabbage, onion, tomato and parsnip and it tasted great). 

Thursday

I had intended to do deadlifts and snatches today, but I was very dizzy and nauseous all day with a fast heartbeat even in rest.. probably low blood pressure combined with it just being one of those days in the pregnant life. We did go to the park and had a good time, it was sunny. I also cleaned the kitchen, put away some laundry and vacuumed- with sit downs in between, pff. I made burgers that we had in the freezer, we had all the fixings like pickles still in the fridge and I made a salad with tomatoes from the garden. 

I haven't written anything yet today so I'm going to share something gym-related here, that counts right? 

Feel free to skip :)

We have three new interns this school year. They started last week. For the first time we also have a girl, which I think is great. We've gotten better at 'managing' our interns. The system we worked out for this year is that all three come on Monday and first have a shared hour or two of theory (see below) and questions they have, then they do some cleaning and join in for the evenings classes. Then all three come in for an extra afternoon+evening on their own so they can shadow us. 

All three have said that they really enjoy the atmosphere and that they've already learned a lot, and it hasn't even been two weeks. We (partner and I) are both perfectionists and always very aware of all the things we could do better and all the things we don't know (and a good dose of imposter syndrome for me). So it's good to have moments like that to be proud of the nice gym we have. 

We cover theory with our interns because their school doesn't do a great job of making sure that the things they learn are practical for actual use in the job they are expected to do. For example today they (I had two) asked me which energy system is used in kettlebell sport. The answer to that is all three, but it's not very practical information, even if I gave them percentages of how much in which system they wouldn't know what to do with that information.. so I explained to them the alternative system that we use to analyse sports and individual athletes, that actually helps you think about how to best help athletes improve. 

It also has three categories; 

1. low intensity steady state(or LISS), which is trained by anything in heart rate zone 1 or 2 for half an hour or longer, this helps increase heart volume and mitochondrion

2. fast recovery, which is basically any type of interval training, which helps increase the rate at which energy is resupplied

3. strength and explosiveness, to increase the amount of ATP in ready supply and the recruitment of the nervous system

With this information you can analyse a sport and draw conclusions about which of those three is more used. But also, more importantly, you can analyse an athlete and figure out where they need the most work. 

As a side note, one of the things I love about kettlebell sport is that it has a pretty equal divide amongst all three those categories. Which is rather unique! 

• Like 4

I grew up with an image of the Netherlands that it was a very progressive, liberal place.   You are starting to make me think my understanding was perhaps a bit simplistic and niaeve... 

6 hours ago, KB Girl said:

It also has three categories

Very interesting.  Looking at the list I can easily say which one (ok, two) my training program is missing :D

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh I should let you read the 'study' they published 4 years ago that was basically an opinion piece on that women shouldn't lift 2 bells because otherwise their uterus would fall out. 

Sounds like the authors have an excellent grasp of human anatomy.

14 hours ago, KB Girl said:

4-7 september then? :)

Perfect! But of course I'd say that about any date. :P I don't think I've ever planned anything this far in advance.

13 hours ago, KB Girl said:

As a side note, one of the things I love about kettlebell sport is that it has a pretty equal divide amongst all three those categories. Which is rather unique! 

It's pretty cool, and hard to train for I guess? What metrics do you use for different athletes when you decide which energy system to focus on? I think climbing is similar in that respect, at least if you do all disciplines.

On 9/12/2019 at 11:50 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

Ooohhh... energy system nerdery. As soon as I get enough knowledge to ask an intelligent question I’m going to bug the heck out of you.

There's plenty of intelligent questions to ask, and in fact judging from your challenge it's as if you already asked them (what's the combination of the three in your sport? which do you lack the most? which is the smartest to focus on right now?) and found the answers (1 and 3 I assume, I couldn't say, and strength) 

On 9/13/2019 at 12:56 AM, Elastigirl said:

I had to doublecheck that I'd read correctly when you said you had to weigh in topless. 

Your little girl probably had so much fun splashing in the puddles!

Yea! at least that problem has been solved now. 

On 9/13/2019 at 5:38 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I grew up with an image of the Netherlands that it was a very progressive, liberal place.   You are starting to make me think my understanding was perhaps a bit simplistic and niaeve... 

Very interesting.  Looking at the list I can easily say which one (ok, two) my training program is missing :D

Well this is an international federation issue, so it has nothing to do with the Netherlands. Still a bit simplistic perhaps, but in general I do think it's a progressive and liberal place. Not nearly enough in my tastes, but definitely so compared to most of the rest of the world. 

On 9/13/2019 at 12:36 PM, Mad Hatter said:

It's pretty cool, and hard to train for I guess? What metrics do you use for different athletes when you decide which energy system to focus on? I think climbing is similar in that respect, at least if you do all disciplines.

Hm interesting! Does any climbing discipline exceed 4-6 minutes? Bouldering (the only kind of climbing I'm familiar with) is mostly 3 with a good bit of 2 on the competitive level because of the time limit forcing you to recover asap between attempts. 

It is hard to train for all three at the same time (and actually make improvements), so ideally you'd focus on one aspect for a block period and then aim to maintain the other two.

It's hard to answer your second question in a concise way.. I start with keeping their specific goal in mind (next competition (and it's importance) combined with long term ambition), then I throw a couple of tests at them.. for example they should be able to lift about 130-140% of their competition weight for a couple of reps, if they can't then 3 is the main focus. They should also be able to stand 12:00 with a weight that is 4kg lighter than their comp weight at their intended pace (1) and they should be able to lift 3:00-4:00 with their comp weight at a higher pace than they would aim for at the comp (2). 

On 9/13/2019 at 6:44 PM, GoodDoug said:

Proud of you for fighting the good fight.

Drag their asses kicking and screaming into the modern age!

Yes sir! :D

On 9/13/2019 at 7:09 PM, @mu said:

September sounds good to me :D I don't have anything scheduled that much ahead.

That situation in KB sport is pretty shameful, go for it, I really hope it improves :~

Also love when you share nuggets of knowledge :)

It's mostly practical stuff, but glad that you do :)

I'm starting to really look forward to next year! What should we do? Besides eating pancakes of course ;)

• Like 2

I had an interesting discussion today about what the hardest part of a pull-up is, the bottom or the top. I think bottom because that's simply where I see most people struggling. He said top, but I think that's only if you didn't initiate right from the bottom.. what do you guys think?

Friday 

Felt a bit better in the morning and should have gotten my training in, but I ran out of time before I had to pick Emma up from daycare. Apparently she's told everyone there that she's going to be a big sister (or as she would say, that she IS a big sister) so I got a round of congratulations. In the afternoon the two of us took my bike to visit my sister and then continued on from there to a house she intends to buy and wanted my opinion on. (it's nice, she should really go for it). It was enough of a distance that my quads felt it. Unfortunately something on the chain/wheels/gears broke so I'm going to have to get my bike fixed soon. 

Saturday

I went to bed at 9 on Friday and woke up at 8, it was quite nice. Had breakfast at my moms, as always on Saturday when I take Emma there before going to work. Taught two classes and then did (finally) did my deadlift session. I did 3 sets of 5 reps at 45kg and 3 sets of 5 reps at 65kg. Then I played around with some ring things and presses and did some curls while having the discussion mentioned above. Also put on my big girl pants and finally finished some of the invoices I had to do and wrote one program I had been dreading. 

On both of these days I did not do anything about keeping the house clean (it's a mess right now) and I did not work on any of my personal projects. At least I got outside time on Friday and kept well within budget for food both days. 

• Like 5
8 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

I had an interesting discussion today about what the hardest part of a pull-up is, the bottom or the top. I think bottom because that's simply where I see most people struggling. He said top, but I think that's only if you didn't initiate right from the bottom.. what do you guys think?

For me, it's the transition from a deadhang to an active hang. I somehow can't manage to get a (micro-)bend in my arms at the same time. If I start from an active hang, a pull-up is no problem at all anymore. It might have something to do with me being a climber though, so my lats are developed more strongly than the average person.

That workout today sounds like a lot of fun :). What part of the pull-up is your main weakness? Do you also see a significant difference between rings and a bar for pull-ups?

• Like 1