• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KB Girl

KB Girl and the fight for women's rights

Wednesday 

Emma and I had another playdate in the morning, which was good because Jaap is sick and could really use the quiet house to sleep a little extra. In the afternoon we did some household chores together and we cooked together. I felt like a proper housewife, marinating my chicken drumsticks and freezing half of it for later use. It's nice to cook with Emma, she does things like put potato peels in the compost bin, grab the eggs from the cupboard, eat all the bell pepper before I have a chance to use it, etc :)

While dinner was cooking we took the dog for a walk and after I put her in bed I actually sat down and wrote a thing. 430 words. 

Good use of my day off :) 

Thursday

I usually work Thursday mornings, but I took Emma and the dog to the woods so Jaap could sleep some more again. I did some laundry, then I woke up Jaap and took a nap myself before going to work at 15:00. Did some paperwork with a deadline, then had half an hour left for my own training (back squats 5x8 with 35kg and assisted pull-ups 5x4) before classes started. When I got home from work I could heat up dinner and we watched some videos about perma-culture things. Growing things in a way that puts more soil back into the environment. Brilliant and inspiring stuff. 

note to self; you haven't gone through any course material yet this week- get on that. 

• Like 6

On 9/19/2019 at 10:58 AM, KB Girl said:

I read this last night; https://writingcooperative.com/how-to-just-write-c1e613f48171

and it really made sense to me! I think to practice writing and get into the habit of it, it'd be good to take away all pressure and purpose until I feel like adding that back in. 

So what you're saying is that there will be Harry Potter fan fiction in your future? :P 

Well done for writing those words, whatever they may be! :D 

On 9/14/2019 at 10:06 PM, KB Girl said:

I had an interesting discussion today about what the hardest part of a pull-up is, the bottom or the top. I think bottom because that's simply where I see most people struggling. He said top, but I think that's only if you didn't initiate right from the bottom.. what do you guys think?

Coming late to the pullup party, but for me I'd say top. When I started learning, of course the pull from dead hang to active hang was a pretty big break through but my top reach was not that good either (I mean when you are at 1 pullup rep max, you're already super happy when the nose reach the bar right :lol: ). These days I'll have a harder time reaching a proper top BEFORE I fail from coming out of the dead hang.

On 9/21/2019 at 7:28 AM, Mad Hatter said:

So what you're saying is that there will be Harry Potter fan fiction in your future? :P 

Well done for writing those words, whatever they may be! :D 

Hah! :D

That's actually one of the things I'd like to practice writing, but the thought also gives too much pressure. Silly brain. 

You didn't like the Alexandra Quick books, did you? 

On 9/21/2019 at 8:27 AM, @mu said:

Coming late to the pullup party, but for me I'd say top. When I started learning, of course the pull from dead hang to active hang was a pretty big break through but my top reach was not that good either (I mean when you are at 1 pullup rep max, you're already super happy when the nose reach the bar right :lol: ). These days I'll have a harder time reaching a proper top BEFORE I fail from coming out of the dead hang.

Yes.. my careful conclusion is that it's complicated and influenced by many factors ;) 

Friday

hm, dentist, deadlifts (6x4 with 65kg) and pushups in the morning before work.. and in the afternoon we made cookies and did a whole bunch of nothing. 

Saturday 

After work Emma and I went to a hotel where we met up with my dad's side of the family- all of them- for my grandparents' 60th anniversary. Jaap didn't come because he was still sick. We went for a bike ride, ate, talked and played a bunch before crashing around 9. It was nice. My dad has two brothers and together the three of them have 9 kids, most of whom have a partner and then there are three great-grandchildren (plus the one I'm cooking) and my dads girlfriend + her 18yo kid. I think it was 28 people. The Netherlands is small so we see each other pretty regularly, at least 4-5 times a year. Miraculously we all get on very well. 

We gifted my grandparents a framed photo of all of us.  

Sunday

More food and 'gezelligheid' and a walk in the woods, then late afternoon we went home. I cleaned up the kitchen, took the dog for a walk and now I'm gonna crash real hard :) 

1528348049_Foto21-09-19164947.thumb.jpg.402b83f4336cc4fe100f4d5cbf57b42a.jpg1036702773_Foto21-09-19204000.thumb.jpg.380eab22eb678975a08c5bcf4854d794.jpg

• Like 7

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That's actually one of the things I'd like to practice writing, but the thought also gives too much pressure. Silly brain. 

You didn't like the Alexandra Quick books, did you? 

Silly brain indeed. :)

Umm I might have glanced at them, but I don't recall ever giving them a serious attempt... Never been into fan fic. 

Your weekend sounds very idyllic. :) 

Aww I have an Emmy <3 (My niece) and she is the cutest bean ever. <3 

The photos were a great idea. I want to put something together for my Grandpa because I think he is getting lonely lately and hes not feeling the best. Seeing his family will help lift his spirits <3 

On 9/23/2019 at 7:37 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Silly brain indeed. :)

Umm I might have glanced at them, but I don't recall ever giving them a serious attempt... Never been into fan fic. 

That's like saying you're not into reading.. or don't like vegetables.. or something else that has many different flavours :P

On 9/24/2019 at 7:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

On the previous topic of pull-ups, I meant to ask you if there's a reason why you always have your students do pull-ups on rings instead of a bar?

Yes, several reasons.. if they can't do a pull-up yet then it's much easier to do an assisted version on the rings (either with feet on the floor or negatives, because you can adjust to jumping height easily). And if they can do pull-ups then we'll be working towards doing more interesting things in the rings, so it makes sense to build the strength for those things there too.. and we'll quickly start adding in false grip etc. And rings to nipples (the equivalent of chest to bar :D).

7 hours ago, Rookie said:

Aww I have an Emmy <3 (My niece) and she is the cutest bean ever. <3 

The photos were a great idea. I want to put something together for my Grandpa because I think he is getting lonely lately and hes not feeling the best. Seeing his family will help lift his spirits <3 

Oh do! I'm sure it will :)

• Like 2

Monday 

There was a lot of catching up to do on housework to make it a bit liveable, so I did that. I also finally went through some more of my course material. In the afternoon Emma and I had visitors, a friend around her age (and her mom+baby sister). It was actually really cool to hear them talking together, they were cooking in the toy kitchen and discussing which plates to use and what they wanted to drink etc. I made pork belly with butternut squash and broccoli for dinner. While that was in the oven we walked the dog. So, ticked all the boxes on Monday.

Tuesday

It's my turn to get sick, I felt quite awful but went to work anyway for both the morning and the evening shift. In the afternoon I had an appointment with my midwife, all's good. Then we went and got some street food (spring rolls) and played in the park for a while. We had leftovers for dinner and because I hadn't worked out in 3 days I did some snatches (6:00 with 10kg), rom. deadlifts and rowing (1km) even though I wasn't feeling great. 

Wednesday

Very sick now, but home alone with Emma. I basically sort of napped on the couch while Emma amused herself with pulling the living room apart ;)

Our outside time today was just a walk to the grocery store with a little stop to pick a bucket full of hazelnuts off the road side. I did do some laundry (Emma tried to help me fold), cleaned up the kitchen and made dinner; chicken thighs stir fried with onions, dried cranberries, zucchini and the leftover butternut squash serves with some spinach and ricotta stuffed pasta. I didn't make that pasta, that's what we went to the grocery store for. I'm enjoying cooking more thanks to the budget challenge, it's interesting to come up with something from the things you've got in the house or that are on sale. 

To do for rest of this week (kick me if I don't); 

- finish up registration for europeans (they still need some photos)

- call to make them hurry up with our team Netherlands suits repairs

- set up the essay I want to write to spread among other country reps regarding the vote on women's future lifts

- take inventory of the organisation of our nationals (someone else is responsible for this, but it's starting to look like a classic case of if KB Girl doesn't do it then it doesn't get done)

- go through some more course material

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

someone else is responsible for this, but it's starting to look like a classic case of if KB Girl doesn't do it then it doesn't get done

The bane of competent people everywhere. :)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KB Girl said:

- take inventory of the organisation of our nationals (someone else is responsible for this, but it's starting to look like a classic case of if KB Girl doesn't do it then it doesn't get done)

D'oh! Maybe they'll at least help? :P

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

That's like saying you're not into reading.. or don't like vegetables.. or something else that has many different flavours :P

:lol:

8 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Yes, several reasons.. if they can't do a pull-up yet then it's much easier to do an assisted version on the rings (either with feet on the floor or negatives, because you can adjust to jumping height easily). And if they can do pull-ups then we'll be working towards doing more interesting things in the rings, so it makes sense to build the strength for those things there too.. and we'll quickly start adding in false grip etc. And rings to nipples (the equivalent of chest to bar :D).

That makes a lot of sense!

Your food descriptions make me hungry... sounds delish.

Feel better soooooon! 

• Thanks 1

I hope you'll feel better soon!

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

I'm enjoying cooking more thanks to the budget challenge, it's interesting to come up with something from the things you've got in the house or that are on sale. 

This is always how my mom decided what we would eat that week, and I took over the habit :). Especially vegetables and fruits are seasonal as well, so our meals are usually different in different seasons as well. It's currently apple- and pear-time, and we started in on our first kilogram of carrots again. It's so much fun to find new recipes and eat a large variety of meals.

• Thanks 1

On 9/26/2019 at 1:19 AM, bdwilson said:

D'oh! Maybe they'll at least help? :P

Yea, they just lack some organisational skills.. I shouldn't be too harsh, because at least in the last few years several people got involved that really do want to put in the work.

On 9/26/2019 at 9:02 AM, Waanie said:

This is always how my mom decided what we would eat that week, and I took over the habit :). Especially vegetables and fruits are seasonal as well, so our meals are usually different in different seasons as well. It's currently apple- and pear-time, and we started in on our first kilogram of carrots again. It's so much fun to find new recipes and eat a large variety of meals.

Yea I've always been a seasonal cooker! but my mom is Turkish.. and that basically means that you always have enough food in the house to feed an army.. or 10 unexpected guests. I'm not even sure how my parents afforded that :D

On 9/26/2019 at 5:31 PM, DaemonCorax said:

Aw I'm sorry to hear you're sick. Read something recently that the end of September is a special mix of allergies plus the beginning of cold season. Oof.

Yea, it does feel like that! Oof indeed. 

• Like 4

Thursday

I woke up feeling still really blah, but by the time I'd had breakfast and a cup of tea and a shower I felt like I could handle the afternoon/evening shift at work. I'm glad I did because it was a nice work day. It was handstands in BC class which went rather smoothly and we have this new guy in KB class that's such a fast learner and already very strong- he has some serious potential and that makes the ambitious coach in me giddy. 

It was also productive, I finished the registrations for europeans and discussed that essay I wanted to write about equality in the sport and what that might look like with the German representative. It was a good conversation and I ended up also finished the first draft, so that's not bad at all. We have a lot of common ground. I did also speak to the Irish rep which was rather more frustrating because while he's a good guy and he's been lobbying for female representation on the board he doesn't support men and women lifting the same disciplines.. he has reasons, I just vehemently disagree with them ;)

Oh and I did a liiiiittle bit of lifting, backsquats 5x5 with 35kg and deadlifts 5x8 with 55kg. 

Friday

Tired, but much better. I had a meeting with our new female federation president, who also handles commucation things. We sat down, talked things through and then she started working on announcing all information for the event and opening up registration, I made a list of what else needs to be done and arranged so I can go ahead and delegate the shit out of that. Last year... I didn't do the managing thing.. and when I called the two people responsible for organising 1 week before the event they hadn't arranged medals yet.. so, nope. It's a bit of work, but a lot of peace of mind and a lot less cleaning up messes under time pressure. 

In the evening Jaap and I taught a workshop at a physical therapy clinic. They had asked us to introduce them to kettlebell training and how they might use it to help their clients, so we did that. We also discussed bracing (how we teach midline stability) vs hollowing (how they teach it), which was a little controversial.. but I'm glad we did. It was all well received. The owned of the clinic was very positive, said he'd learned a lot more than he'd expected to, that he found it brave we challenged their usual practice and asked if we could come again soon. Very cool. 

Oh and I wrote a thing. It's just like 200 words but it's still words. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

We also discussed bracing (how we teach midline stability) vs hollowing (how they teach it), which was a little controversial..

Sounds interesting, would you care to elaborate? :) 

5 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Oh and I wrote a thing. It's just like 200 words but it's still words. 

All the words count!

• Like 1