• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

:wub: ACRO!

Awesome meet seriously, I mean your numbers are HIGH. I'm super impressed that your squat is so closed to your deadlift at that scale. Super impressive quads powaaa!

That bench is also BIG!

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, raptron said:

It was definitely fun, but I have to admit that it made me want to spend a lot more time on my solo handstands and balancing poses again. THE BUG, IT BITES. I feel like it almost always happens around this time of year... 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761104e097846904a8e058

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, @mu said:

Awesome meet seriously, I mean your numbers are HIGH. I'm super impressed that your squat is so closed to your deadlift at that scale. Super impressive quads powaaa!

THE DEADLIFT SHOULD BE HIGHER! YOU SEE THE PROBLEM. ahahahdhauhgakjsdghshl

But thank you, haha.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I just did squats and thought of you and now I feel equally puny and awestruck. :lol:

You are not puny! And yay squatting!

Day 5.4

OKAY, rest week so this was a rest day. I went home full of good productive energy that just kind of went... sploot. I stepped on a small piece of glass in the morning while getting ready for work -- my demon stepson cat has a strong compulsion to break glasses and while we do a good job of cleaning it up, there's definitely the possibility of missing some -- and I thought I had gotten it out. It quickly became evident when I was barefoot back at home that SOMETHING was still in there. I poked around at my foot trying to find it for a long, long while before doing the classic foot soak maneuver to try to make it easier to get to. I still couldn't see anything but eventually was able to tweeze it out and no longer felt like an absolutely crazy person. Also, dang, how can such a tiny thing be SO PAINFUL? My body like convulsed each time I thought I grabbed ahold of it and it turned out to be no bigger than say, half of the tip of a pinky fingernail.

At some point during that process, I also tried to go down and wash my bedding (because demon stepson knocked my hibiscus tea over onto my bed) and the washer was in use both times I went down. I took a short nap because I was OVERCOME WITH EXHAUSTION FROM MY TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS. 

I woke up bummed because I had included laundry and job applications in my productivity plan for the evening. To feel better, I consulted my LIST OF TO DOs and made more hibiscus tea, started a new batch of cold brew, did some kitchen tidying, painted my toes, and researched lifting programs. That helped! I applied for another job I had saved, but didn't do the big push I had planned on. That's okaaay.

Lift: 11/11 + sign up for a pole class √ + bonus partner acro! √

Bedtime: 18/25

Hunt: 12/15

House: 1 bonus point

I'm going to #respecttherestweek with rest day tonight and then go hard at gymnastics practice tomorrow morning. I'll also plan on either lifting or going to the stadium on Sunday to start working on that hardio-cardio for the upcoming gymnastics season. I've got five jobs I'm going to apply for today/this weekend, so that's also happening. 

I did basically none of the bonus things in my room... but I don't have a lot of plans this weekend so MAYBE I WILL GET SOMETHING FRAMED?!?!?!?!?!!? 

• Like 7

Way to respect the rest week, yo!

And sorry that your demon stepson is causing so many hassles - he's really doing a good job living up to his moniker!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, raptron said:

Also, dang, how can such a tiny thing be SO PAINFUL? My body like convulsed each time I thought I grabbed ahold of it and it turned out to be no bigger than say, half of the tip of a pinky fingernail.

And because it's not visible, you can't even show your terrible wounds to all your friends for sympathy. Lame.

• Like 1

Day 5.5

Rest day! I finished off the job applications I was planning on for the day and spent the rest of the night on a dateee. 

Day 5.6

Getting up for practice was a struuuuuggle. But I rallied and got some of the best cold brew in town to incentivize me. Once I was at practice though, I was moving pretty okay. My headache eventually went away when the caffeine and naproxen kicked in (my two best Saturday morning pals). I did a bunch of front tumbling and had a couple of really good front handspring + front pike + front tucks. And a bunch of nice fhs + front layouts. 

After floor, I worked on uneven bars and omg my gymnastics conditioning is so bad. I would connect a few skills and then basically need to lay on the floor out of breath, hahaha. The night before may also have had some impact, but honestly I do think it's mostly that I'm in one rep max shape and not routine shape. I did manage to do some relatively nice uneven bar work. I practiced my high bar connections (uprise + free hip + fly away) and also worked on toe shoots to high bar with a few good ones -- plus a bunch of muscle kips out of the not so good ones. I also need to really improve my free hip circles on low bar if I want to be able to do the cast into the toe-shoot afterwards for the new routine, so I spent a few minutes working on those as well.

I had planned to go to beam after, but I was totally spent, so I did active mobility and stretching with some of my teammates for the last 15 minutes of practice.

I walked home from the gym, made cheddar scallion scones, and read outside on the back porch because it was sunny at 60 degrees. In the evening, I met up with some friends and saw a gore re-cut of Tammy and the T-Rex. I think it was the best thing I've ever seen in my life. 

After, we went to a house party that turned out to be like bunch of 22-year-old crew bros because my friend's roommate invited them and it was a big regatta this weekend. There were keg stands. My friends and I still had fun, despite the other party-goers haha.

Day 5.7

I decided to go to the lifting gym instead of the stadium. I am not starting the new program yet, but figured my body needed a bit more brushing off before I just delve into it next week and I know that my calves are going to be so, so sore after my first day back at the stadium, so I wanted to put that DOMS off for another day.

Squats: 3 x 7 x 225#

Bench: 5 x 4 x 135#

Conventional deadlifts (whaaat): 4 x 7 x 225# 

Pull-ups: 3, 2, 2

Toes-to-bar: 3 x 7

I hadn't pulled conventional in probably a year, but one of the lifters at my gym recommend I try adding them back in every so often as like an accessory. I did some errands on my way home, ran a load of laundry, and then headed downtown to watch The Lighthouse. If I hadn't known it was Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson, I would have spent the whole movie being like OKAY I KNOW I KNOW THESE PEOPLE BUT I CANNOT FIGURE OUT WHO THEY ARE. It was strange, beautifully shot, and thoroughly enjoyable! I was a fan. Same filmmaker as the VVitch.

Lift: 11/11 + sign up for a pole class √ + bonus partner acro! √

Bedtime: 19/25

Hunt: 13/15

House: 1 bonus point

Overall challenge rating:

I had my meet! I felt well prepared for it and my goals worked well for that! I slept a lot more than I had been before the challenge, but not quite to the levels of my somewhat lofty goals.

I spent more time job hunting than I might have otherwise, too, so that worked well, though I feel like I need to keep up the level of intensity/effort there to actually make any headway at finding jobs I want and crafting good applications for them. It's easy to phone it in and throw out shitty, non-tailored CVs to the wind, but shockingly enough that doesn't yield me much by way of responses. :P  I have a couple of phone interviews this week for positions I'm a bit apprehensive about, so we'll see if they change my mind.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, raptron said:

I spent more time job hunting than I might have otherwise, too, so that worked well, though I feel like I need to keep up the level of intensity/effort there to actually make any headway at finding jobs I want and crafting good applications for them. It's easy to phone it in and throw out shitty, non-tailored CVs to the wind, but shockingly enough that doesn't yield me much by way of responses. :P  I have a couple of phone interviews this week for positions I'm a bit apprehensive about, so we'll see if they change my mind.

Grats on the meet & all the goals, really. Good luck with the interviews, and crafting individual resumes is definitely worth it.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 5:42 PM, raptron said:

THE DEADLIFT SHOULD BE HIGHER! YOU SEE THE PROBLEM. ahahahdhauhgakjsdghshl

:D but at that scale?  it's already a pretty big deadlift and dude your squat is massive!

3 hours ago, raptron said:

shockingly enough that doesn't yield me much by way of responses. :P 

ha ha ha, yes, a researched and tidy application can make a big difference, it's "first impression" stuff,  meaning it's also important when you start negotiating salary because it's the first picture of you that they have and it's still hanging in their head one way or another, even if you have interviews afterwards that show more facets. Have you come across a position that was really interesting at all, or are you still a bit undecided?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, @mu said:

Have you come across a position that was really interesting at all, or are you still a bit undecided?

I'm generally feeling ambivalent about most postings, but have a strong desire to just get out of my current job because while it's a great workplace, STILL BEING HERE is depressing me.

• Like 1