• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sciread77

Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IV

Here we go again! It’s getting into show season, and a week from tomorrow we’re heading to Kansas City for Jessie’s sister-cousin’s wedding (she’s the Matron of Honor).  It should be fun but it’s sort of a strain to make it this time of year. 

Also, I forgot to mention that Jessie is participating in a foreign teacher exchange this year, so at the end of October (next challenge) we’re going to have a teacher from Ireland staying at our house. Not anxious or panicky at all about having a guest just after show season when our house gets insanely wrecked. Not AT ALL. 0_O. But we should have time to get things in order. The show is at the beginning of October. I’m probably going to have to disassemble my studio since it’s made, in part, out of our guest bed lol. 

I sort of drifted off last challenge, largely due to work and VO. At work, we had someone leave our team and, turns out, he farmed our almost all the work he did, appears to have falsified a few records, and ultimately left a gigantic mess for his successor (me).

I finished recording book two this morning. Taking a page out of @WolfDreamer‘s playbook, I’ve been getting up at 3:30 am, letting the dogs out without shirt or shoes on, and supercharging my morning with both coffee and a daylight lamp before spending about 90 minutes in the studio. It’s been quite fulfilling, but also destroys my ability to stay up. And I’m kinda burning the candle at both ends, which is contrary to the goals I’ve had on here forever. But I’m also at the point that I NEED to start making this work. And if I can get regular work and credits and use this to positively affect our finances... it’s worth it. Especially if it can afford the freedom or flexibility to do what we need in the long run. Because we can’t live with borderline burnout-to-burnout conditions forever, and life isn’t going to change itself. 

Random question... @Curl Brogo, I don’t suppose you know how to make VBA interact with Kendo UIs in a web browser? I could make it happen in Java and there appears to be a ton of documentation on that, but I’m working on a comp in which I cannot compile a Java program (or Python or anything else useful) so I’m basically stuck with VBA. I’ve been messing around a lot within Office apps and Excel but the latest challenge is a bit beyond what I’ve done. I’m not sure what all your expertise is, but thought you might have some insight. 

I’m gonna pass out now and post goals later.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, oromendur said:

Here for show adventures! Good luck with the madness, and do try and get some sleep occasionally :) 

Thanks! The good thing is that during show season, Jessie is usually super tired and falls asleep just after the kids so we get to bed earlier. I mean, I’d really like the extra sleep but I’m still getting above my maintenance levels of 6 hours most nights. Those late nights are kinda killer but hopefully I will make progress. 

4 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Looking forward to another tale from the Lucky Vale! 

I hope to bring you a tale of good fortune. 

3 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Welcome back, brother. I'm glad I influenced you, but I hope I didn't make things worse. :D

Following your adventure as always.

Thanks. I doubt you’ve made things worse! Then again, maybe I’ll change my mind over winter. Glad to have you!

• Like 1

In a happy surprise, I’m wearing a shirt that really hasn’t fit since 2012. I’ve kept t because technically it works and I only wear it once or twice a year, in the summer, when all my other polos need to be washed. But for 7 years, it would constantly come untucked and be generally uncomfortable to wear and made me incredibly self-conscious. Today, it hasn’t come untucked and feels like it did when I first got it. Woohoo!

It’s time for those goals. 

1.  Record. I’m looking to use the studio to record at least 5/7 days a week, if not every day, with the exception of the wedding week. The goal is to submit an audition every day I record. 

2.  Support Jessie. She’s the matron of honor in her cousin’s wedding in 8 days. We also found some auditions that only accept indications of interest from agents or managers, so I’m looking to see what it takes to be a talent manager.  I mean, I was already looking into it for Woody. But it appears that I just need to have acting resumes and headshots. Plus she’s got set builds for the school show that is less than a month away. 

3.  Participation in the PVP. I’m starting today with the goal to do the Darbee Daily Challenge. That’ll be better than trying to force my gym schedule with the wedding. 

4. Gym when I can- I’m working on my front and back squats, loaded carries, pull ups, and shoulder presses. Mostly places I’ve discovered are some degree of weak after my years of training solely for functional strength. 

5. Use other free time to edit and work on business  aspects of the VO.

6.  Survive. It’s going to be a crazy challenge and I have to sacrifice some sleep, putting me down towards my daily maintenance minimum to make the recording goals. The hope is I will see more success with regular application of my recording and auditioning efforts. 

• Like 3

Survival is a good goal. :onthego:

Your auditioning goal is very good and I hope that it works out for you, though sleep and mental health are big sacrifices for the time to do it. I really want to get into podcasts, and I've done some stuff over at Librivox just to fulfill the itch, but submitting auditions and regularly recording for anything other than the university radio news broadcasts has just never happened. ( I mean, the university radio one hasn't really happened either .... )

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Infinity.Creates said:

Survival is a good goal. :onthego:

Your auditioning goal is very good and I hope that it works out for you, though sleep and mental health are big sacrifices for the time to do it. I really want to get into podcasts, and I've done some stuff over at Librivox just to fulfill the itch, but submitting auditions and regularly recording for anything other than the university radio news broadcasts has just never happened. ( I mean, the university radio one hasn't really happened either .... )

Thanks! I normally prioritize sleep. I watch my mental health closely since it’s been known to get out of hand before. 

I have some friends that have (or had) a podcast. I made an appearance on it once, right before TFA came out. It was pretty awkward for me. I didn’t really have an agenda, they just wanted opinions from the biggest Star Wars nerd that any of them know lol. I much prefer to record and edit, OR, perform in front of a live audience. I’ve played music and done improv live, and both are natural and exhilarating. Like I said, though, my podcast experience is pretty limited. 

I’ve finished one audiobook, another is being edited right now, and a third (much longer one) is in process. Beyond that I’ve done a promo here and there, and a few miscellaneous recording jobs. It’s paid for my equipment several times over but is a far cry from actually qualifying as a job. 

Ultimately, it slowed down last year because I stopped auditioning. My long project hit a snag, I started feeling guilt, then I just tried to pretend it didn’t exist for a while.  I’m back, because I love it and also to encourage Woody after his first audition went south. Plus, I don’t want guilt to make my choices for me. 

• Like 1