• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sciread77

Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IV

I’m not dead yet but I’m feeling like it right now. It’s been a rough week or so, not just for me but for Jessie, too, all because ultimately we’re stretched too thin between the commutes and the hours. 

Both my audiobooks are done, and I’ve just struck a deal to be involved in a weekly podiobook release involving a series of books I’ve been a fan of and working on getting the narration deal for. They’re not bestsellers, but I love the stories and I’ve actually been practicing my narrations on them for the last year anyway. So that’s exciting, though I’m not sure if it’s exactly gonna pay a lot. I am actively auditioning and hoping to keep landing contracts, as well as to branch out more and get more business outside of audiobooks.

I’m also working on establishing a brand, and that includes public social media pages which I’ve never been great with. I’m at 64 likes and I’m hoping to get to 100 within a week. 

Bo Peep’s 2nd birthday party is tomorrow and that’s gonna be fun too. I’ve been busy with work and prepping for the party so I’ve not been doing much of my physical routine. But I think that’ll pick up after the show ends in 10 days. I had to drop out of the pvp because it was too much and I wasn’t into it this time around. 

• Like 3

I managed to cut the lawn last night. It was a struggle because Jessie had to work late and I was in charge of the 3 kids and 2 dogs. The Pupperoni (our Daschund) isn’t terribly house trained yet/destroys things when he’s bored, so I couldn’t let everyone be inside. It was a thing, especially since there are movers all over our street right now. 

I slept in until 5:30 today, but after than I ran down to the studio to submit a couple of auditions. I still have sound issues when the heat/AC is on, and we’re getting to that weird point where it was in the upper 90s last night but the kids are freezing by the morning. So I really want to build a full studio as soon as I can  to keep that from being an issue. I submitted two auditions today before Woody and Rex appeared to play their new Phineas and Ferb game. 

Now, I’m taking a short coffee break before tackling the rest of the house prep for the party. 

• Like 2

Another super proud parenting moment for the Adventurers of the Lucky Vale. 

Background

My children, unsurprisingly, love comics. Woody and Rex are the proud joint owners of a single issue of The Amazing Spider-Man and a single issue of Batman. They have heard tales of my good friend of old, who has the greatest comic book collection I know. I own no comics myself; speech bubbles order confused me as a kid so I didn’t get into reading actual comics until college, and this friend lent me basically all of them over the years. He’s a good man with s heart of gold (though he’s looked rough since high school).

Last Thursday or Friday, a flash flood hit the house he and his wife live in. My friend is a disabled vet, and his wife has MS. They were actually in the news as the people who were rescued from the flash flood, and it was a little surreal to discover this through the news. 

Flash forward to today. The house and their stuff all appears to be a total loss. The upside is they rented, but the downside is the house isn’t in a floodplain and the flood damage isn’t covered by insurance. They’re mourning the loss of everything except what was in their safe, their hanging clothes, and thankfully themselves and their pets. I told Woody and Rex, and Woody immediately started crying. Because he knows the decades of collectibles and comics that were lost, and how much he loves his comic collection and how sad he would be to lose it. 

A few minutes after Woody calmed down, he and Rex approached me and offered to but him all new comics and collectibles to replace The Collection. My friend isn’t often emotional, but that got him. He said I was raising them right and I’m feeling like we’re ok the right track. I’m so proud of how loving and caring they are, and eager to help. 

I’m pretty sure they just leveled up. 

• Like 4

We made it through the show week. Jessie is sick yesterday, of course, because between the commute and the job basically every show is too much for too long. She’s still home today taking care of Woody, who got sick in the middle of the night. 

We made a gigantic pot of soup with beans, lentils, turkey, chicken, and veggies for dinner last night. It’ll last us for the foreseeable future lol. It’s really good. Of course I forgot it yesterday. It was a crazy morning yesterday and today. Titus I forgot my computer and had to go home to get it, ultimately getting here late and having to search for 35 minutes for a parking spot. 

There has been an increasing undercurrent of fear in my team. Since we’re the international group and I work with people from all over, the immigrant news and actions combined with the departmental merger we’ve been experiencing have been making things pretty tense. Nobody really says anything but there’s a layer of fear. It’s completely stupid. The whole situation. That they have to fear at all. I come from a family who tells stories, with pride, of coming over 115ish years ago from Italy and enduring nativism and racism for being visibly and audibly Italian. I had Nativist ideas when I was much younger and realized that they were impossible to reconcile with my family identity, my identity and values as an American, and my morals and ethics. I am left with sadness and anger and frustration. I’ve been feeling it hard this week.  For my coworkers, friends, neighbors, and my fellow human beings. 

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 5:44 PM, Sciread77 said:

We made it through the show week.

Congratulations!

There has been an increasing undercurrent of fear in my team.

This is really awful :( 

I had Nativist ideas when I was much younger and realized that they were impossible to reconcile with my family identity, my identity and values as an American, and my morals and ethics.

This is, in my opinion, a wholly admirable response :wub: 

Remember that in any awful situation there are always Mr. Roger's helpers to look for, and it seems like you are committed to being one. That's hard work, and can leave you drained of all energy and hope, but it's the only thing that really does any good. Good on you for not taking the easy way out and just ignoring the whole yucky situation. (It's kind of what I'm doing right now; because I'm traveling it's easy to just bury my head in the sand. I'm not proud of it. But I'm trying hard just to stay afloat myself at this point.)

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, oromendur said:

This is really awful :( 

It really is. Look, I get limiting immigration numbers. I get making sure that terrorists and criminals like drug lords and hit men and frauds fleeing actual justice don’t come into the country. I get ensuring people don’t circumvent sanctions against them. I get enforcing law and considering national security. 

But I don’t get harassing people who have fled violent and repressive regimes. I don’t get going after people making a positive difference in this country. I don’t get telling them that they have different rights than we do as far as due process-either everyone gets it or it’s not a right, it’s a privilege that can be revoked with an accusation. It’s not supposed to be what this country is about. And in spite of our complicated history with immigration, our greatest strengths have been rights of the people and the collecting of the peoples of the world brave enough to relocate forever. Said peoples are more likely to start businesses, work harder, make more sacrifices, and push their child to get good educations and succeed. 

42 minutes ago, oromendur said:

This is, in my opinion, a wholly admirable response :wub: 

Remember that in any awful situation there are always Mr. Roger's helpers to look for, and it seems like you are committed to being one. That's hard work, and can leave you drained of all energy and hope, but it's the only thing that really does any good. Good on you for not taking the easy way out and just ignoring the whole yucky situation. (It's kind of what I'm doing right now; because I'm traveling it's easy to just bury my head in the sand. I'm not proud of it. But I'm trying hard just to stay afloat myself at this point.)

It might be possible to ignore if I were more insulated. Which I -was- pretty insulated growing up. I’d like to think of myself as a helper, and I’d like to think of myself as one of the good guys. Don’t we all. I spent years doing things like studying Nazis and the Holocaust, and by extension immigration and refugees. And to complicate things, I’ve got kids to take care of now. And I’ve also got kids to set the example for now.   I’m in the position to give them unfair (but socially acceptable) advantages. Do I?

That turned quickly into a rabbit hole. Ultimately, I’m an empath. I feel hard, especially for other people.

I hope things I do are helpful for my boss and my colleagues. But simply not thinking that way, while better than the alternative, isn’t an active thing. Right now, it’s mostly limited to extending empathy to them should any issue arise. What else does one do?

Today we went apple picking. Our stuff won’t be producing for at least a year; our Apple trees have anywhere between 2-5 years to go. Harvest is practically religious to me, which is why I love harvest festivals, Halloween, and Thanksgiving. Harvesting and feasting. Boom. It’s a good time. 

I’m currently full of apples. 

• Like 1

I believe that the book’s production is over. A recording error came up in the opening/closing credits, which was not unexpected as I recorded and edited those in a hotel room as opposed to my studio. I took the opportunity to remaster the whole thing with some of the skills I learned in the last two weeks, including how to edit out high-pitched nose whistles that I almost always have due to allergies. I caught a few more errors during this time as well and have added another final listen in my car, as those speakers magnify some of the more annoying sounds that ear buds minimize or don’t really play at all. 

I’m pretty exhausted now. Not just from recording early; sleep has been mostly offset by going to bed earlier. I’m also probably getting a cold, judging by the stuffy nose, sore throat, sneezing, and poor sleep. I’m hoping that taking the next few days off of recording will help. I’m working from home Friday as it’s our anniversary, and we’re going to a nice restaurant. The kids are staying the weekend with my parents. I’m looking forward to it, as well as effectively our first concert together (minus Transiberian Orchestra and a Beatles cover band in the park) 

———

I started the update 2 days ago. Definitely sick. Went to the doctor yesterday with a higher fever and took the last half of the day off. I’m feeling better today; they gave me a steroid injection at the doctor and those help sinus stuff. I think I’m on the tail end and I really hope so because it’s our anniversary today and the kids are going to my parents’ house for the weekend. 

• Like 2

I had to go back and reread the beginning of this challenge, partly because the ending caught me unawares. I didn’t really have goals beyond survive, so, I think I did a lot better than I thought I would. It’s been a rough one. 

-We survived the wedding. It was a lot of fun, the kids went home with lightsabers and the pictures are turning into family memes. 

-Our little girl turned 2! She had a blast at her princess-unicorn birthday. Only her grandparents and one cousin showed up, which, ultimately, was kinda nice. I’m sad that my sister couldn’t make it, but she’s got bad morning sickness and my brother-in-law hung at home to take care of her. 

-Oh. My sister is pregnant again! This is good news and the baby is well. She’s hoping for a girl this time. She’s been sick 90% of this one so she’s not really gone anywhere or done anything for a while. Their first was due on her birthday, and this one is due on my brother-in-law’s birthday, which is kinda cool. 

-We survived the show. Clue was really, really funny. They did a great job.  I will say that more and more, I think Jessie wants a different career because for all the good it’s just sucking the life out of her due to the almost-constant time demands on top of the 1.5-3 hour daily commute. 

-We threw a neighborhood block party with a gigantic inflatable pumpkin bounce house. I grilled for everyone again, and as a bonus I also fixed the wheel the movers broke on my grill!

-We celebrated our anniversary, which I recovered from that sinus thing on just in time. Last Thursday they sent my home from work with a 102.7 fever and I got an antibiotic and steroid shot, which cleared it all up. I’m super susceptible to getting bacterial infections even when that stuff starts as a virus due to my psoriasis treatment meds. Anyway, we ate at a fancy schemancy restaurant, had multiple bottles of wine over the weekend, painted autumn decorations, watched horror movies and thriller movies, and just relaxed together without kids all weekend. It was glorious. 

-We survived getting the kids back from my parents. It was rough, disappointing, and involved canceling our plans without telling us. But, we went home and Jessie make chicken and dumplings. The kids are always utterly exhausted after visiting my parents so everyone went to bed early. 

-We survived a scare on the refrigerator. It overheated yesterday due to clogged and dirty condenser coils. I cleaned it and now it appears to be running just fine.

-We survived dinner last night. Bo Peep broke a glass bowl and 2 mason jars, then found and dumped out half a bag of popcorn kernels on the floor. All while we were trying to help Woody with his big school project and Rex just wanted peace. We also went to bed early last night. 

It’s good to see it all listed. I’ve felt lost during the challenge. Whatever sickness caught me caused my sinuses to bleed and now that’s causing me to snore like a buzzsaw, so I’m glad I have little talking to do at work. Gotta get this fixed so poor Jessie can sleep though. Also, I’m way tired from not sleeping well too. 

We still gotta find a way forward. 

• Like 1