• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

4 minutes ago, Ann of Vries said:

Mr makes enough that I can stay home, and that was the plan from conception. I was at a crossroads when I got pregnant anyway, so I wasn’t giving up anything career-wise. I wanted to SAHM, so it works out for me. I personally haven’t regretted it, but I know mums who were itching to get back to work and that’s cool, too.

Everyone’s got to make the decisions that work best for their reality and desires. <3 

That’s awesome. I had no desire to go back to work. Talk to adults more, sure, but not to go back to my job. 

13 minutes ago, Sciread77 said:

That’s awesome. I had no desire to go back to work. Talk to adults more, sure, but not to go back to my job. 

Once R (or hypothetical younger sibling) starts school, I will probably look into my flexible or part-time options to help out with the bank balance. I’ve been thinking about training as a counsellor/therapist, or starting another arts and crafts home-based business like I had a few years ago. Mr has pointed out that if we have our homestead by then, growing food is effectively growing money for the family.  But we’ll see where we’re at in a few years (literally and figuratively). 

Obviously, if things go really badly financially/career-wise for Mr in the meantime, we may have to make other arrangements. We occasionally have dreams of running off to the countryside and running a B&B, but I think Mr would miss his career too much. It’s challenging and frustrating work, but he loves the products he’s helped create.

• Like 2

Once R (or hypothetical younger sibling) starts school, I will probably look into my flexible or part-time options to help out with the bank balance. I’ve been thinking about training as a counsellor/therapist, or starting another arts and crafts home-based business like I had a few years ago. Mr has pointed out that if we have our homestead by then, growing food is effectively growing money for the family.  But we’ll see where we’re at in a few years (literally and figuratively). 

I hear you there. 

Obviously, if things go really badly financially/career-wise for Mr in the meantime, we may have to make other arrangements. We occasionally have dreams of running off to the countryside and running a B&B, but I think Mr would miss his career too much. It’s challenging and frustrating work, but he loves the products he’s helped create.

We keep looking at a B&B. A good ROE on a B&B business is depressingly difficult to achieve unless you get a really, really good deal on one in a good location or if you inherit one. Jessie’s family’s house might be a good one, but we’re hardly hopeful to get it soon as it would mean bad things for my MIL and her sister who are quite amazing people. 

• Like 1

Yeah if we lived out away from people, I could totally see farming, having some goats, and spending all my time outside and not working per se. At one point I was looking at transitioning into gig tech work and moving to the western slope, but I just wasn’t ready to say goodbye to my lab work. 17 years ago I decided to study physics. It’s been a long weird trip, and I’m still not done with it. That said, a desire to spend free unstructured time with LR is a priority and we’re lucky to be able to wrangle flexible hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A bit of frustration this morning: a lot of upheaval and organization to get to a long-awaited early morning allergy follow-up at the hospital that we had in fact changed our holiday dates to accomodate. (We’d have liked to go a week or two earlier for better weather chances!) When they got to us, and we went over some details, they decided that they shouldn’t go forward with the testing today. For legit reasons, but geez. We could have been in Wales right now hiking in this glorious sunshine if they’d told us sooner!

But I’m still being grateful: 

I’m grateful that my son has access to health care in this country, period, and there’s no if ands or buts about it. I know universal health care is a divided topic in my country of origin, but from the view on this side of the pond, I’m so glad we have it.

I’m also grateful that I can be a SAHM. This morning was frustrating, but it would have been even more frustrating if I’d had to take a day off work only to have the appointment foreshortened as it was.

Deciding to make the best of already being kitted up and out, we stopped by the weekly playgroup when we returned to our neighbourhood, and I even talked to a couple of mums and one of the staffers complimented my hair. 

And Mr and I get to eat the cake I baked last night for today’s allergy test instead of using it to test how sick it’ll make our son.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Infinity.Creates said:

If you double click on the image in the text box, you should find a property box pops up, in which you can change the size!

Frustratingly, on my iPad that just takes me to a the html page for the photo. I used to be able to select a size on TapaTalk, but that seems to have vanished.

Gratitude 1.2

The stroller-friendly walking route to the childminder can feel quite long—about 40-50 minutes—but it’s 20-25 min or so by (not stroller-friendly) transport, so I’m getting an extra work-out for my time. Between that and other activities, I’ve already walked 7.2 miles today, and it’s 3:30PM.

Also, the views are awesome.

D762A6E8-5308-4AC9-ABF5-3B924652B09D.thumb.jpeg.c8ceb79c5ad145527f72b01acc0bf3b1.jpeg

2D89E8D8-C6F2-495F-B45F-0CF7737157F4.thumb.jpeg.11382f604cf492e8508a1cd8a5b01468.jpegFB83FF96-9F60-4926-AA8A-0B01D8A70082.thumb.jpeg.1fb09bca71a37b53d97ab75c88c53d21.jpeg4D89FAEC-C9E9-452A-A47A-837848A8F9E2.thumb.jpeg.f5d0b2d126777501c9147133cacec0ba.jpeg0B5B2423-D0C3-414D-8266-54C8E05D2B52.thumb.jpeg.0e443a3def8d43e2ee487044bc3d2692.jpeg

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

Great photos. I'm only intermittently a city person, but that all looks so nice. Also, what a nice way to spend the morning with your little one :)

Thanks! I love the city and I love the countryside. They speak to different parts of me. This is also true for Mr, so since we live in the city, pretty much all of our holidays end up being in the countryside to balance it.

The docklands area of London has its own architectural character, a bit different than usually gets showcased in media portrayals of London. Except in dark and gritty “East End” shows, I guess XD The street near me gets used a lot for filming when they want that “old East End cobblestones and dodgy warehouses” backdrop.

• Like 4

I'd love to hear how your vacation goes,  especially hiking wise! When mine was smaller it was so easy, just pop her in the wrap and walk the whole day if we wanted to. Now it's either short because she can't walk that long yet or it's stroller friendly territory, which is just a lot less nice. 

It's interesting reading everyone's experiences with parenthood! I've come to really enjoy my time at work, though I probably wouldn't if it wasn't balanced so nicely with time at home. Now that she's older I don't think staying at home full time would work for me, especially now sometimes it's really hard to stay patient. I think I'd go a little crazy. But I also do love my job, so that's a factor. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KB Girl said:

I'd love to hear how your vacation goes,  especially hiking wise! When mine was smaller it was so easy, just pop her in the wrap and walk the whole day if we wanted to. Now it's either short because she can't walk that long yet or it's stroller friendly territory, which is just a lot less nice. 

I’m sure I’ll be posting reports, or at least photo drive-bys ^_^ Yes, earlier on Rowan would happily cuddle in his carrier all day while we walked around. We have a special hiking carrier for him now, but he’s not going to want to sit in it for hours. And to be fair, given R’s increasing weight, Mr isn’t going to want to carry him for hours, either! (The carrier, while claiming to be for “all sizes” doesn’t adjust down to my petite proportions.)

It’s going to be a learning experience XD 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Ann of Vries said:

(The carrier, while claiming to be for “all sizes” doesn’t adjust down to my petite proportions.)

We have the opposite problem, our 'all sizes' carrier won't fit onto her fathers broad back.

• Haha 1

Today: so much packing. Despair of fitting it all into the car.

Little people need so much extra equipment ;_;  And I’m a pretty streamlined, minimalist packer. 

The highly changeable weather on the forecast doesn’t help. It could be 25c and sunny! Or 10c and raining. On the same day!

• Like 5

We got everything in the car, and we are at our destination.

Yesterday’s journey had two happy accidents: we were thinking of looking for a service station when we started seeing signs for Lodge Park, a National Trust property (we’re members and get free admission/parking), and it was just off our route so we stopped there for refreshments/breaks, and a bit of fun in the sunshine. (Because it’s probably the last sunshine we’re going to see on this trip, the forecast is rain, rain, rain for the next few days.)

B10454C7-722F-4BD8-9C55-20C04A9964CD.thumb.jpeg.23e613da0a8023a3f2fa799ffe26b56a.jpeg

D93997A2-AF33-4640-8193-654BDC7C275B.thumb.jpeg.03904e75d6154f36ad40aa4456d2335f.jpeg

FE05656C-7169-4EAD-A337-52360FB0BC43.thumb.jpeg.41dc3193996754c59e3673210e97af39.jpeg

The second was when we went to the grocery shop to get some odds and ends for the holiday cottage, Mr found three packs of kiwiberries on discount for 45p. They are regularly £2 a pack. Our theory is that people didn’t know what kiwiberries are. But we love them and totally didn’t expect to see them there!

More to come....

42F85AB8-D152-45B8-8FF5-49FCC12AECE8.thumb.jpeg.329dd388ff5c82d321af2cc07d495f18.jpeg

• Like 9

On 9/19/2019 at 1:08 PM, Ann of Vries said:

It could be 25c and sunny! Or 10c and raining. On the same day!

You, um, do know you live in the UK, right? :D

Hooray for fun in the sunshine, National Trust road trip breaks, and kiwiberry goodness!

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 5:41 AM, Ann of Vries said:

More to come....

What fun! I love unexpected surprises that make the adventure even more exciting. 

• Like 1

I want to photospam you all, but the connection here is weak the last couple of days and it takes forever to upload a photo (let alone a dozen!). So I leave you with a couple of photos of a little boy and a very big castle....

E8FFDED3-D051-487E-99B4-83C2764B99AB.thumb.jpeg.c5f28fbad60584c35cf12f848ce5ae4a.jpeg

C29CA5EE-A2DF-4272-AD60-0D2C2E237B46.thumb.jpeg.010ad922a0519c4963d50e50b11ac772.jpeg

(Raglan Castle, Wales)

• Like 5

Hay-on-Wye haul. I also bought some boots, not pictured.

The first two Mr chose, the rest I chose, although The Natural Explorer and The Etymologicon were bought with both Mr and me in mind. 

I was very pleased to have found a copy of The Subversive Stitch went I last looked, used copies on line can go for £50-100. This copy is new, though—it turns out in the last couple of months they did a reprint! 

90B16EED-5C47-42B4-891E-DF56F3A8A859.thumb.jpeg.049f59c23d34fdad12933a5cf30f79c3.jpeg

I didn’t take any shots of Hay itself, in part because it was proving a fretful day—Rowan was in bad humour, I was desperately underslept, the weather rotated from sunny to high winds and downpours—and that when I came here a few years ago I took about a million photos in nicer weather. I may dig some of those up for a retrospective.

Overall, I think we did well. We bought several, well-curated books for the household, and we didn’t go overboard. ^_^

• Like 4