• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

On 9/27/2019 at 8:34 AM, Ann of Vries said:

We bought several, well-curated books for the household, and we didn’t go overboard. ^_^

Amazing haul! The Etymologicon looks especially interesting. And I'm at least as jealous that you were able to avoid going overboard as I was about your trip in the first place :) 

• Like 1

I’ve had a couple of not very glorious days. On our way home on Tuesday, we got terribly rerouted and blocked by out of service footpaths on what was supposed to be a “shorter, easier way back to our cottage.” It took almost 4 hours, steep uphill all the way (the way out was a leisurely 2.5 hours into the valley). My husband was trying to keep me focused on the sense of adventure, but all I could worry about was our toddler who had been in the carrier for hours and was getting restless and we couldn’t let him out because we were in a cow fields or in a wood carpeted with nettles, whose presence made even treacherous trails we would have risked ourselves too much risk to try to drag him through, all of that. I mean, in the end, we would have been okay and forced our way out to a road or something (eventually we did find a wall break not-quite on the footpath and went through someone’s field to get to the nearest landmark), but I just couldn’t enjoy the “adventure” of it all while worrying about my tired, hungry, bored kiddo. 

The next day, we were out at a village shop in the morning and Rowan was cranky and we weren’t sure quite what to do next so we decided to go home so he could actually get a decent nap in for once... and of course this is the day he decided to absolutely refused to nap (and be angry about it the entire time), and basically we just sat around in the cottage all day instead of going and doing the things we wanted to do because maybe he would nap and he was too cranky (and I was getting too cranky dealing with it it) to actually go enjoy anything. 3.5 hours into this, when we finally decided to just put him in the car and do a countryside drive for a while, hope he fell asleep, and go from there, he finally fell asleep in his room. 

*sigh* 

These are the not very glamorous bits of travel with a little one. Oh well. We’re in gorgeous countryside, and we’re talking about maybe moving to this part of the world next year and I’m trying to focus on the incredible, unbelievable amazement that is my life (15 year old AoV never dreamed this big or this far), but I’m not always succeeding.

Meanwhile, have a photo for getting through all my complaining.

0E859E48-A5AF-4C13-8166-613B437DB574.thumb.jpeg.5cedcd575d6d03fd6436b6417767b727.jpeg

• Like 2

Hi, Just wanted to pop my head around the door and say I really like the laid back, not to much pressure, mindful nature of this challenge.  Don't worry too much about the metrics, concentrate on the philosophy and the rest will come!

I also love to hike and have a young child - I love taking her out but it gets either frustrating that things go so slowly or hardwork when she wants to be carried!  She's getting better though and I think the habbits she picks up now will hopefully stay with her for life.

Isobel.thumb.png.1ab985888b2890d2a410c7f0bec12c4d.png

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Hi, Just wanted to pop my head around the door and say I really like the laid back, not to much pressure, mindful nature of this challenge.  Don't worry too much about the metrics, concentrate on the philosophy and the rest will come!

I also love to hike and have a young child - I love taking her out but it gets either frustrating that things go so slowly or hardwork when she wants to be carried!  She's getting better though and I think the habbits she picks up now will hopefully stay with her for life.

Isobel.thumb.png.1ab985888b2890d2a410c7f0bec12c4d.png

Welcome to the Rebellion! Will you jump in on a current challenge?

I love your photo. A little girl there standing next to a great role model ^_^ Yes, hiking with little ones is a challenge. But I keep telling myself they don’t stay little forever.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Welcome to the Rebellion! Will you jump in on a current challenge?

I love your photo. A little girl there standing next to a great role model ^_^ Yes, hiking with little ones is a challenge. But I keep telling myself they don’t stay little forever.

Thanks!

I've bitten the bullet and set up a first time challenge - I was going to wait until the next challenge period to get a full one in but sod it.  may as well get going!

Enjoy the rest of your holiday - I hope the weather stays good, I love that part of the country.

• Like 2

We have returned from our adventure. Exhausted, but it was a good trip overall. Now unpacking, tidying up the wreck we left the house in, etc. Somehow we thought it would be a good idea to invite people over for board games and dinner tonight! The grocery delivery truck came by this morning and knocked over the tree in front of our house O_O Trees are important, but in the scale of things it wasn’t our child or our neighbour’s cat or anything, and the company will be contacting us for restitution. (Also, it was our neighbors’ tree, technically, so we’re including them in the restitution process.)

I’m wading back into reality after 2.5 weeks of illness followed by 2 weeks of holiday. It may take a few days, but then forward movement again! And I’ll probably review my goals for this challenge and adjust them.

I had some insights on my vocational life direction, etc. while on holiday. This includes a very well timed call from our preferred local nursery saying they had some open morning slots for Rowan and Mr’s support to grab this opportunity which will include an increase on his childcare hours (we’d been on the waiting list for seven months).... I do love being a mother but I’ve been feeling like I was in a directionless limbo while focusing on mothering and not having the time to do much more than dream about what I’d like to be doing if I had the space, or what I’ll be doing when he’s older. Now I may have 16-20 hours a week to apply some of these thoughts into reality and test some ideas, which is about exactly how much time I wanted. 

More about that later. 

• Like 3

Gratitude

In 2000, I was 20 or 21 and had recently returned to living with my father in our semi-rural town that I hated after some post-high school misadventures, licking my wounds and figuring out what the heck I’d do with my life from there. I got into an online RPG (my usual depressive behaviour), and met a pair of Europeans who were roomies at the University of Bath in England. We became friends, they would get phone cards and call at odd hours that drove my dad crazy, we’d send books and other media back and forth.

We eventually stopped playing the RPG and our contact became more hit and miss over the years, as people in such distance do (and this was life before FB!). But every once and a while, an email would shoot back and forth. In 2010 I took a trip to the UK and tried to contact them, but there were crossed wires and it didn’t happen. Then in 2012 I came back and we met for the first time in person. 

Then in early 2016, I emailed them and said “hey, guess what? I’m marrying a Brit and moving to London! Want to hang?” They came to our wedding.

Londoners are notoriously busy, and so while M lived in the city, we only saw him sporadically over these last three years. But in the last several months, he’s became a regular in our table top, joins us at times to help at the Oxford LARP, and we are playing a campaign of Blackstone Fortress (Warhammer 40k Quest) whenever our schedules work.

While we were in Wales, we went and spent a few hours with L, the other roomie. We see him about once a year or so when we’re out Bristol-way. (He’s trying to convince us to move that way in our eventually Escape from London.) A funny thing happened. As it turned out, L was going to be doing a long weekend in London just the next week. We were getting back on Saturday night.

So on Sunday evening, 3 people from different parts of the world (they apparently hadn’t seen one another since my wedding!), came together at a table and had dinner, played games, and caught up. And it was good.

I’m still marveling at the many tangled threads of life. How people I met online in 2000 and faded away would now be local to me, becoming close friends again, clowning around with my son, friends with my husband, eating in our home and playing the games together like the eternal geeks we are.

Life, you are so weird and wonderful. 

• Like 5

On 10/6/2019 at 10:32 AM, Ann of Vries said:

I had some insights on my vocational life direction, etc. while on holiday. 

An excellent measure of the success of a holiday!

On 10/7/2019 at 10:55 AM, Ann of Vries said:

I’m still marveling at the many tangled threads of life. How people I met online in 2000 and faded away would now be local to me, becoming close friends again, clowning around with my son, friends with my husband, eating in our home and playing the games together like the eternal geeks we are.

An even better measure of the success of a life!

On 10/7/2019 at 10:55 AM, Ann of Vries said:

Life, you are so weird and wonderful. 

:wub:

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Sciread77 said:

That’s the truth. I love hearing these stories from others. It really affirms to me that these sorts of groups are special. 

I’ve found it harder over the years to make those special relationships online. The days when people sat at their computers having long and wandering and intimate and smart conversations seems to have ended. I can barely get friends to respond to an IM or an email in more than a few words (let alone possible new friends).

But goodness, when you do find them, they’re magical. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

I’ve found it harder over the years to make those special relationships online. The days when people sat at their computers having long and wandering and intimate and smart conversations seems to have ended. I can barely get friends to respond to an IM or an email in more than a few words (let alone possible new friends).

I suspect that part of the issue is that the original internet kids and people were more prone to those be more introverted people interested in deep, wandering conversations. But in the last decade, since the rise of social media, the extroverts have come in full force, generating content and flooding the space. So it’s harder to find! 

I will say that I’ve been able to have conversations a lot more along those lines here than I have with new people elsewhere online!

1 hour ago, Ann of Vries said:

But goodness, when you do find them, they’re magical. 

They really all. Most of my long deep convos have been online in recent years. And my good friend tend to respond well most of the time. Though I guess it comes and goes in seasons. 

Update

I’m finding it harder than planned to keep up on this challenge, but here’s where we currently stand:

Gratitude

I’m not writing 3 a week, but I’m considering and writing thought-out gratitude posts and that’s what I really wanted. To be able to really sink into the story of the things I’m grateful for, rather than just shooting out a list.

Meditation/Spiritual Practices

Best laid plans got waylaid first by my new assignment requiring at least 3 consecutive weeks of journaling (most assignments are suggested to take 2 weeks) and going on holiday. At this point, if I can get this one assignment in by the end of the challenge, I’ll be satisfied. 

I was doing well on daily meditation—again, until holiday and the return. And I didn’t start any of the branch classes. Oh well. The course is self-paced, I’m clipping along at the rate I’d like to be. And I need to get back on the meditation. 

Going outside/staying active

I mean, during the holiday I really rocked this one, but I’ve been pretty good about it most days. Holiday got me in a better mindset to go out when the rain was coming down which is still helping me now that it’s rainy and grey in London. It’s so easy to get outside all the time in the summer!

Mind-healthy engagement

I still get lost in the FB scroll now and again, but it’s getting better. And I finally pulled out my embroidery and I’m putting a lot of time and practice into that.

Don’t (Always) Eat the Croissant

This is the other one I’m doing quite well at. I’m back to my pre-illness eating habits, and I lost the weight I gained during illness on our holiday. Hurray!

Honestly, I kind of bit off a lot for this challenge and underestimated how much the holiday was going to sidetrack me. But forward motion is still forward...

• Like 3

It was such a delightful night!! Ann and her Mr were wonderful hosts, the lively conversation ranged from philosophy to families and Hawaii to Afghanistan, and there was awesome hobbity food (steak and ale pie!) at an atmospheric old pub on the Thames. The Enting is a good-natured, happy child with a constant smile, and I am pleased to report that he is every bit as adorable as he seems on the internet :wub:

Photographic evidence (somewhat blurry, sorry, I'm not the best selfie artist in the world on the best of days, and it was dark):

20191017_194357.thumb.jpg.625d973daf8553f29446aa56b1df15c9.jpg

So glad we could finally link up!

• Like 4