• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Quickie

Quickie: Finally making Running a priority

Hey everyone!

I'm very new here (3 hours young to be precise) and I'm pretty excited to share my plans for the next five weeks with you. 

Quick introduction:

I'm 19 years old and I have been a football player (I will not get angry at you if you call it soccer) for most of my life. Hence, I was always good at running. However, I rarely go for a run on my own. I obviously run a lot in training, but I think I could get a lot better with some more focus just on running. 

My PB is 19:15 min for 5km, currently I think I could make it in 20:30 min or so... 

My Goal for this challenge:      ~ 16.09.-20.10 ~

I want to make running part of my daily life and get better at it!

My Side Quests: 

• Start a journal for planning and reviewng my weekly runs (most important)
  • Cover 24 km a week
  • Run 5 km in under 19:00 min 

Some cherries on top:

Things I want to work on anyways, but some of minor importancy for the goal

• Do some more stretching! 
  • Get up early and run in the mornings  (I really want to get into the habit of waking up earlier)

Thank you for staying with me until the end. It's my first time actually thinking about my goals for a longer time, let alone writing them down and posting them.

I would appreciate any feedback, tips or questions coming my way!

Quickie

// My Main Goal, a long time from now, in a galaxy far, far away:   5km in 17:00min 

-> Running a race on the 31st of December 19 in my best possible form

// That will be another chapter in the book, just had to write it down. One step at a time.

• Like 6

Welcome @Quickie, and thanks again for joining up with the Darebee PVP. The more the merrier.

Oh, man, I dream of a sub-20 minute 5k (but I'm also almost 40 years old and have only been running regularly for a few years, so... not an excuse, just the truth). I run mostly trails and hilly roads, so that keeps my pace and time down a bit. But I sincerely commend you on making running a priority! I know you will find a supportive and encouraging group here at NF, and the Scouts will motivate you and inspire you to become the runner you want to be.

Well done, and welcome.

• Thanks 1

Challenge starts tomorrow and I did two things to start right into it:

1. I started a Running Diary. There is not much to put down yet so I just planned the next week.

Let's hope most of it works out the way I want it to!

I made it on Google Docs, so I might as well share it with you to make it even worse if I don't complete my runs.

My Running Diary

2. As a small motivational bonus, I signed up for a 5km race on the 6th October.

I'm excited how it will work out, but I'm looking forward to it!

• Like 2

Hey, and welcome! Wow, your running time is great as it is (that’s like 2x faster than me, so I’m totally in awe) but all the best in aiming for even better. We’re right behind you (literally :-P). Good luck with your October race!

• Thanks 1

Monday, 16.09.2019

I had a good first run today! 

Did 7km with a pace of 4:27 min/km and I am pretty happy.

After 2km I had to stop for like 30 seconds to tie my shoe and because I had a lot of pain in my left quad.

The stops are not included in the time as I pressed pause on my device. I had to force myself to slowly catch up the pace again before unpausing my tracker and the pain decreased to an acceptable amount. I stretched for 10 minutes after the run, which I have never done before, and it felt amazing. I've got to keep this up!
Plus I need to warm up better before I pick up my running pace.

Tomorrow will be a 10k and I'm already looking forward!

• Like 5

Tuesday, 17.09.2019

Well.... uhmm. Life sometimes gets in the way. And with life, I mean me being unproductive with my studying and having to do 2 hours extra to get done what I had to get done. Didnt go running. 

I know those things can happen and my goal was 3 runs a week. Planned 4, so everything is still fine. I will go for a run on Thurstay first thing in the morning and maybe I might even sneak in a slow 5k on Wednesday before my football training. 

On 9/16/2019 at 7:33 PM, Quickie said:

I had a lot of pain in my left quad.

Still felt it today, did some foam rolling and really hoping I did not start this challenge to quickly...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Psykamaholik said:

Just a speed bump mate, is it possible the pain in your quad is because you are tight in the back of your leg somewhere and your quad is what's compensating for it? 

Yeah that could be a reason for it. I will do some more stretching before I go for another run and I will slow myself down if it still hurts.

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

• Like 1