Devlin rebuilds and rehabs.

Devlin

Hey guys,

So my last challenge was derailed thanks to a nasty knee injury. I'm at present coping with a suspect acl tear and awaiting the results of an mri.

I love a themed challenged so this one's going to be punisher themed.

My goals for this challenge.

1/ Get the physique.

Punisher has to take on superhumans and to do that he needs to be in top notch shape and cope with brutal injuries without quiting.

-get weight to below 237lbs. This will be done by tracking on my fitness pal

- workout 3x per week, I can't do any leg stuff at all currently, so I'm doing a back/chest/shoulders split.

2/

Get the tactical mindset.

- listen to an average of half an hours audio book each day, either on the way to work or elsewhere

- I'm an investigator through work and there's a level above me, I can't apply for it yet as you need 3 years experiance to sit the evam. I was able to pick up a workbook for the exam so my goal is to work through this to get me ready. Goal is to complete a chapter a week.

3/ Nothing without the plan.

Due to the lack of abilities punisher must plan well ahead.

I'm getting married later this year and everything's coming together.

This part is to finish off all the arrangements and get the money paid off and arrangements confirmed. Shouldn't be much to do for this.

• Like 1
Welcome! Sorry to hear about the knee injury, that sounds tough. Do you have any idea how long an injury like that takes to heal? Also, good luck with the study, and congratulations on your engagement! 
Thanks on that,

And it depends on what my diagnosis is, if it's an acl tear they don't heal, it's surgery and a 9 to 15 month back to normal timescale.

But Im optimistic that its not quite that bad. I don't know what it is though.
  • Like 1

Weight went up slightly today but diet has been solid yesterday and then again today so unsure why.

Today was a rest day, did a shift at work, came home, listened to around 20 minutes of Jocko and cooked myself some fresh food, a nice chicken tikka stir fry with pittas on the side.

I'm proud of that because I was exhausted and genuinely had the money sorted for a takeaway and decided not too. Happy with that.

Anyway challenge starts tomorrow. And like they always say don't miss a Monday.

• Like 2

Ouch! on the knee injury. Fingers crossed it's only a strain and not a tear.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

Ouch! on the knee injury. Fingers crossed it's only a strain and not a tear.
Yeah hopefully, should be finding that out I the next hour.

So to review week 1.

It was appalling. My diet was shockingly bad. It was a friends leaving do from work Tuesday, my mother's birthday Wednesday, went out with family Thursday, out with friends Friday and have spent all weekend celebrating my fiancées birthday with trips out and meals.

I have eaten way too much cake.

However I did listen to the audio book......

I'm calling this week an unclassified. It was bad.

But as of today I'm feeling quite inspired. I have 9 weeks to my wedding and just under 9 weeks to make a big difference.

I was looking at some photos of me from few years ago when I was in pretty good shape and I need to get back to that. I know that's not possible this challenge but I can make a start.

So it turns out I suffered a serious knee dislocation rather than a tear. Loads of physio ahead and risks of it repeating but no surgery so I can relax a little bit.

Not what the Dr's were expecting. Looks like when my leg got trapped my kneecap popped out which is my issue.

• Like 2

Week 2 day 1
Back workout done.
Listened to audio book done.
Tidy the house and do all of the washing that's accumulated... Underway.

I am going to attach some old photos to this and try and find a recent one to compare with so I can get the goal right in my head.

The apron one is old the suit one is new. And although I'm still around 40lb lighter than when I first started losing weight I want to get back to the other image. c8365612bc2bf71e8e957bc71e69772d.jpgbe98db28b726f8e8a523a8ddb76c3417.jpg

6 hours ago, Devlin said:

So it turns out I suffered a serious knee dislocation rather than a tear. Loads of physio ahead and risks of it repeating but no surgery so I can relax a little bit.

Not what the Dr's were expecting. Looks like when my leg got trapped my kneecap popped out which is my issue.

So good news and bad news. Let's focus on the good ones... and invest in a good supportive knee sleeve/brace for future workouts, maybe?

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

10 hours ago, Devlin said:

How long for it to get healed and solid again? 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

So good news and bad news. Let's focus on the good ones... and invest in a good supportive knee sleeve/brace for future workouts, maybe?
Yeah I think once I get back to grappling I'll need to pick one up. Weird injury.

And massive good news in that I'm past the recovery and walking again phase I thought might be coming again post surgery.
Glad it's not torn.
Thanks man,

Todays gone well so far, audio book listened too and I've been sorting the house out so it's nice and organised.

Got a decent chest workout in too so positive news all around. Got my private physio approved on the work insurance and also looking at sorting out a trip to a centre that's covered under my Healthcare where you spend a week with full access to a gym and physio to try and kick start things.
  • Like 1
On 9/23/2019 at 4:51 PM, Devlin said:

It's getting re assessed 25/11 but the Consultant seems to think months.

He says 1 in 4 become reoccurring issues but with proper rehab and the right approach I can massively help my odds.

Ah, so I guess you'll be working on it for a bit. I hope it gets better neatly and quickly as possible.

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Week 2 day 5
Weight 249.8 - weight is falling off after my recent balloon up. Hopefully I can maintain momentum.

Diet - been really good the past week and today again.

Did physio today, he was really happy with my regime so far. He's given me some stuff to work on, I was asking him how long until I can start full duties again and he got me to do seated squat drill on one leg.

Good leg was fine. Nearly fell on my arse on bad leg. Point proven.

But now I've got something to work on.

Working until 1am tonight, going to try and get up early and train tomorrow.

• Like 1

Glad to hear just a dislocate and no tear or surgery required. PT/physio is soo helpful! Every time I have had to go, I have benefited greatly.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

# 39#38 | #37 | #36 | #35 |#34 | #33 | #32 | #31 | #30#29#28#27#26#25 | # 24 | #23#22#21 | #20 | #19 | #18 | #17#16#15#14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10#9#8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2#1 | Battle Log

Instagram | Goodreads

Glad to hear just a dislocate and no tear or surgery required. PT/physio is soo helpful! Every time I have had to go, I have benefited greatly.
Yeah me too, allows me to get plans back up and running ASAP.

So I've been sick as a dog this last few days, blocked nose and sore throat, solid cough and feeling like thor tossed me against a wall for the hell of it.

Got 0 sleep all night Sunday.

Now this would have been fine, I should have been off Monday and Tuesday but to further my career I'm on an attachment all week. I went in both days and put a mask on over the sickness with the assistance of caffeine and olbas oil inhalers. God bless caffeine.

Missed my Monday workouts as the above, I couldn't breath and needed the rest. I also ate bad food, I was exhausted and my partner got kept on at work. But really those are both terrible excuses as in reality i was just a bit weak.

Woke up today 248 and felt OK. Went to work, got in, felt like dozing on the sofa and having some food.

Snapped instead and went to train, had a preworkout so I couldn't not and then hit a beast of a back workout in, followed by some knee Rehab stuff, a bit of a rest then 3x3 minutes on the heavy bag. Going to build this up to protect the knee.

Feeling very focused and determined now.

Been listening to David goggins audiobook the last few days and I'm loving it so far. His story is horrendous but just goes to show with the right focus and mindset greatness is achievable but also with the wrong mindset and negative perspective so is failure.

Felt better after training.

Weight - 248
Workout - done
Diet - solid.