• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gandalfthegremilin

Gremilin KOs depression

Background.

I've been having a bit of a rough time lately with my mental health which has slowed down my health at fitness goals. Now that I'm in a better place I have decided to make my goals a priority. I'm a 22 year old IT student who works at pizza hut so my schedule is a bit erratic which makes it difficult to make time for myself. But making time for myself is probably the biggest help for me at the moment.

Big goal:

Make health and lifestyle changes to ease my symptoms of depression.

How I will do this:

1.  Ease into a better sleeping schedule: At the moment I'm getting between 5-12 hours of sleep a night. At the end of the month I'm trying to aim for a more respectable 8-10 hours.
  2. Drink actual water: My ye olde depression brain has a personal vendetta against water for some bizarre reason. The end goal is to drink 2L of water a day but for the first few weeks I'm going to aim for 1L.
  3. Do one thing a day for future me: At this stage I can't really commit to a full on exercise and meal plan but I still want to be nicer to future me. Whether it be wash my face, clean my house or do some study I want to make an effort to do one thing a day to make my life easier in the long run.

The aim is to update daily to keep me moivated and accountable.

• Like 3

Welcome! I have also used these challenges to try to make changes to improve my depression, so I know it can be done and things can get better. Good luck with those goals!

So today was alright. I didn't get my 1l of water goal but I was darn close, I know I'll get it tomorrow. My sleep was a great success though I got 9 and a half hours which is AMAZING. I was tired all day because of it but here's hoping that I'll get used to it and not feel so tired. I didn't do any study but I did some housework, cleaned out one of the bird cages and did some opp shopping all things that future me will appreciate. 

• Like 3

Congrats on getting some sleep!  I'm cheering for you on that and wishing you well in your water goal, as I have a hard time with water intake as well.  How many birds do you have?  I love birds. Although I don't own any, I have two feeders in my backyard for the wild ones.

7 hours ago, jarlaxetherogue said:

Congrats on getting some sleep!  I'm cheering for you on that and wishing you well in your water goal, as I have a hard time with water intake as well.  How many birds do you have?  I love birds. Although I don't own any, I have two feeders in my backyard for the wild ones.

I have 6 we had one at the start of the year but we kept on going to the rspca and rescuing more :biggrin-new: .  We have three cockatiels one budgie and two princess parrots.

These seem like great goals, especially for a first challenge.  I'm right there with you on the mental health train, and I'll tell you, this is a great place to be for support and venting.  A lot of us have been there.

Honestly its been working 50% of the time, I got sick this week and its been hard to get out of bed. But on the days that I did I cleaned my house did some study and called my friends so its leaps and bounds from where I was.  Fair warning though I'm probably going to go MIA untill I get these assessments done , I've got three due on friday.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gandalfthegremilin said:

Honestly its been working 50% of the time, I got sick this week and its been hard to get out of bed. But on the days that I did I cleaned my house did some study and called my friends so its leaps and bounds from where I was.  Fair warning though I'm probably going to go MIA untill I get these assessments done , I've got three due on friday.

I'm guessing that 50% of the time is still an improvement on before, so I'd say that counts as a triumph.

Sorry to hear that you got sick. It's so frustrating when that happens while you've got a deadline. Get well soon.

Good luck with your assessments. We're in your corner (to continue the boxing analogy) and we're rooting for you. It's quite understandable that you need to focus on them. I wonder whether it's worth revising your target to update here once a week, instead... even if it's just to rant. We want to hear how you're getting on.

When you do decide to update us next, what areas of IT are you studying? I work in IT - mostly web sites and server sysadmin, but I'm a programmer at heart. I'm sure we have plenty of company here when it comes to IT bods.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gandalfthegremilin said:

Yessss. Improvements despite being sick. Take whatever rest you need but keep trying. Good luck with your assessments.