• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

alphameg

alphameg does a challenge

Hi y'all - 

I'm relatively new to NF and jumping in on my first challenge. 

Main goal: Lose at least 5 lbs during the challenge.

Nutrition: 

* Eat 3 servings of vegetables/day

* Swap a latte for tea or coffee (with minimal milk) at least 3 of 5 work days

Fitness:

* Get 5k steps/day

Life:

* At work by 8 every work day

• Like 4

Welcome and good luck! We are all here to support you! 

14 hours ago, alphameg said:

Life:

* At work by 8 every work day

I really think this is a great goal and I'm excited for you to make this a habit! 

It reminds me that I really want to start waking up earlier myself... 

Gave this some more thought last night and decided on a point system and swag:

Each item is worth 1 point per weekday (not drinking a latte = earning one point). So there are 6 possible points per day, times 5 workdays/week, times 5 weeks = 150 possible points. If I earn 120 points over the challenge, I get swag!

Swag = new water bottle to replace the one I left at a music festival, plus 2 stickers to get the decoration started.

Day 1 (Mon 9/16): 5 points

• Like 4

21 hours ago, alphameg said:

Day 1 (Mon 9/16): 5 points

Day 2 (Tues 9/17): 6 points [Total: 11/12]

I was so sad when I lost my water bottle - I'd been carrying it around for probably 5 years or more and I had a weirdly emotional attachment to it. In general I struggle with delayed gratification so by putting it out there as my swag for this challenge I am trying to encourage myself to earn it rather than just replace it. 

Yesterday felt great and I am off to a good start this morning!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

You are doing great!

Today might be ... less great. I am hung over as hell. Vegetables sound awful. (I did make it to work on time - having a 6:30am meeting makes it basically impossible to not!)

• Like 2

Those days happen. Maybe instead of vegetables you can focus on drinking plenty of water and tea which should help you feel better. And then back to veggie goal tomorrow!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alphameg said:

Vegetables sound awful. (I did make it to work on time - having a 6:30am meeting makes it basically impossible to not!)

Morning meetings are a devious little trick I use to get me to work early as well. Might have to break that one out again for myself. At least you're making it in by 8.

As for the veggies: Maybe find a way to turn some veggies into comfort food?

*Squashes perhaps? It's getting to be about acorn squash time, anyway, and with some cinnamon and butter, they're the perfect comfort food. Well, granted, maybe not acorn squash coated in butter and cinnamon every day, but it may come in handy if you need a little bit of motivation.

Or pan sauteed brussels sprouts. They're a pain in the butt to prepare, but you can quarter them with a knife, peel off the outer leaves, and then sautee them in salt and oil until they get nice and crispy.

And my personal favorite: *Blackeyed peas, cornbread, and hot sauce. Bonus: You get to eat the bacon after you've used it to season the cornbread pan.

*I may be defining "vegetables" a little bit loosely here.

Your vegetables sounded better than the carrots I had in the house, but nothing was enough to drag me out on Friday. I didn't do *too* badly, though - 4/6 points on Friday which is a win considering how shit I felt! 

Week 1 total: 27/30

I took a redeye last night and am currently overdosing on coffee - but no latte! (Mainly because I want more caffeine.) The benefit of being in New York is that it's VERY easy to hit my step goal. And I picked a hotel that is attached to a Whole Foods so I can have healthy food to eat instead of restaurants and room service. 

• Like 1

Last week was *rough*. I definitely got my step count, and no lattes, and worked on vegetables as much as possible, but worked 65 hours (I guess that counts as getting in on time, though!) and flew 7000 miles and did not do that well nor track that well. I'm going to count it as getting 2 vegetables/day so I will give myself 5 points per day last week = 25 more points. 

Total after week 2: 52/60. 

I'm unsettling my life in other ways (starting the process of finding a new job after 16+ years) and it's been really hard today to be in the head space that allows me to focus on this challenge. 

• Like 3

Those weeks happen, and the important thing is that you are making some healthy changes to your habits :).

On the vegetables part, are snack tomatoes affordable for you? They don't take any mental effort, as you just have to wash them, and you can just munch away on them. I can imagine that carrots get boring after some time, although I can still eat a lot of them if I grate them and drown in a mustard/vinegar dressing ;).

Just post here if you need any more tasty ideas with vegetables; life's too short for bland boiled or steamed vegetables. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 3:10 PM, alphameg said:

Last week was *rough*. I definitely got my step count, and no lattes, and worked on vegetables as much as possible, but worked 65 hours (I guess that counts as getting in on time, though!) and flew 7000 miles and did not do that well nor track that well. I'm going to count it as getting 2 vegetables/day so I will give myself 5 points per day last week = 25 more points. 

Total after week 2: 52/60. 

I'm unsettling my life in other ways (starting the process of finding a new job after 16+ years) and it's been really hard today to be in the head space that allows me to focus on this challenge. 

It sounds like you did well despite a lot of flying and work! Good luck with the unsettling. Your challenge doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to be useful for you.