• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

traaki

[traaki] Respawn point

Recommended Posts

Friends. In case ghosting on the last two challenges wasn't enough to show you that I'm a dang mess right now, I will say it plain: I AM A DANG MESS RIGHT NOW.

 

I've realized, though that I'm enough of a mess to respawn!! YES!  Everything fell apart and we're starting again.  I admit to failure and am here to focus on some habits that support me. I have a massive backlog of shit to worry about but I'm just going to move forward.  This isn't about clearing the backlog, but about building in the time and the habit to dedicate time to things.  The backlog (I hope) will start to take care of itself. 

 

New challenges: I am going to be travelling more for work.  I have a new job and that's pretty overwhelming. We have a massive yard that needs care. 

New opportunities: I no longer live with two diet soda fiends and can control my diet and time more than I used to.

 

Q1: Workout three times per week. 
I've been working out, lackadaisically at best.  I want to be working out with an end goal in mind and the thing that feels best right now is walking. So I'm going to be walking twice a week of at least 30 minutes each time, fast enough to get my Heart points on Fit.  This will happen during my normal workout times. 

 

The third workout (Friday) will be a gardening session.  Mowing the lawn, pulling weeds, pruning things.  It doesn't actually matter how much I get done on this as long as I'm outside and getting filthy. 

 

Q2: Write twice per week before work. 

Areas of focus: 21 Day Poetry Challenge, producing my zine, finalizing Patreon rewards, posting to Patreon. 

 

Q3: Weigh myself daily. 
This is pretty productive for me--I have a weight trend tracker I use and the more I do this, the better my results seem to be. 

 

Q4: Complete one hour of YNAB/budget work every week. 

Ideally during a regular time, but this *must* happen each week. 

 

--


I'm working on my goals for the last three months of the year -- those will go up soon and will be less habit-focused, more task-focused. Probably I'm going to start putting those in their own thread. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back, and congrats on the new job and better food opportunities! Nothing wrong with failing, especially if it means you can pick yourself up and give it a more experienced go. I like your goals, they look simple and effective at the same time. If you don't mind my asking, what's the traveling for the new job look like? Week long trips, or shorter excursions? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 6:55 AM, Manarelle said:

Welcome back, and congrats on the new job and better food opportunities! Nothing wrong with failing, especially if it means you can pick yourself up and give it a more experienced go. I like your goals, they look simple and effective at the same time. If you don't mind my asking, what's the traveling for the new job look like? Week long trips, or shorter excursions? 

 

Thanks!  I hope they're a good fit. 


The travel is a mix--hopefully, mostly shorter trips, with maybe 2-3 a year that are weeklong. Lots of conferences & giving talks.  I'm starting to get my travel routine down and I'm optimistic that I can get better about food and exercise while I'm on the road. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, raptron said:

Solid goals! Working with a new job schedule is tiring but you're out here laying ground work like a champ.

WOOO ground work!! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update! 

Q1: Workout three times per week. (2/3) -- On track, and tomorrow is gardening time! I'M EXCITED!

 

Q2: Write twice per week before work.  (1/2) 

This was supposed to happen today but things exploded (yay housewarming party) and I ended up running errands before work. Might be able to squeeze this in tomorrow but it doesn't look super likely.  I'd like to get my zine finished and printed before I go out of town (end of next week) since I'll be doing ye olde travelling > zine fest 1-2 punch. 

 

Q3: Weigh myself daily. -- On track, this is going well. I forgot one day so far.
This is pretty productive for me--I have a weight trend tracker I use and the more I do this, the better my results seem to be. 

 

Q4: Complete one hour of YNAB/budget work every week. 

Uhhhhh yeah, so I do really need to do this but I'm not sure when.  Maybe tomorrow or maybe Sunday. 

 

Overall: I'm glad to have these quests right now. It's really hard to get them all in with house guests here, but just knowing the goal is getting me closer to achieving it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/19/2019 at 7:03 PM, traaki said:

Update! 

Q1: Workout three times per week. (2/3) -- On track, and tomorrow is gardening time! I'M EXCITED!

 

Q2: Write twice per week before work.  (1/2) 

This was supposed to happen today but things exploded (yay housewarming party) and I ended up running errands before work. Might be able to squeeze this in tomorrow but it doesn't look super likely.  I'd like to get my zine finished and printed before I go out of town (end of next week) since I'll be doing ye olde travelling > zine fest 1-2 punch. 

 

Q3: Weigh myself daily. -- On track, this is going well. I forgot one day so far.
This is pretty productive for me--I have a weight trend tracker I use and the more I do this, the better my results seem to be. 

 

Q4: Complete one hour of YNAB/budget work every week. 

Uhhhhh yeah, so I do really need to do this but I'm not sure when.  Maybe tomorrow or maybe Sunday. 

 

Overall: I'm glad to have these quests right now. It's really hard to get them all in with house guests here, but just knowing the goal is getting me closer to achieving it. 

Awesome. :D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 1: Nailed it on the workout goals, got 50% on the writing goal, got 90% of the weighing myself goal, 0% on budgeting. Overall I'd give it a B-.


Week 2 outlook: 

Today I squeezed in a short walk due to family obligations & work.  But I still did it! I also got in my one hour of budgeting work which was AWESOME--it's been way too long. But...I missed today's weigh-in.  Tomorrow's writing session may be cancelled due to a weird fluke in my workday--but I have a backup day planned for Saturday. 

 

Next week is a travel week and I am trying to plan for it now. I'm going to skip weigh-ins (no scale) but try to get the rest of them done.  I think I may need to flex on the *when* part of the activity but I'm going to do some research this week about the fitness amenities at my hotel.  I need to really solidify my travel habits, but first...I must find what works for me. So the experiment continues. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2019 at 11:16 PM, traaki said:

I think I may need to flex on the *when* part of the activity but I'm going to do some research this week about the fitness amenities at my hotel.  I need to really solidify my travel habits, but first...I must find what works for me. So the experiment continues. 

 

It's so hard to plan while traveling. We booked a place on one trip that showed a really nice workout place, but when we got there, it turned out all the stuff was old and falling apart. Don't overlook the benefits of walking (plus you get to explore the area more, sometimes a good thing...) and bodyweight exercises. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm doing great so far: Workouts going well (got in a nice long-ish walk on Wednesday!), weigh-ins are happening, writing is on pace, and budgeting time is done. 

 

That said, today I was practically falling apart with this generalized anxiety/overwhelm and that wasn't good.  Spending a lot of time tabbing between windows, bouncing between tasks, etc. Felt like I couldn't focus at all. I did some journaling and just identifying that the feeling was happening went a long way--got me out of the anxiety spiral (along with some time laying on the ground looking up at trees).  

 

I'm realizing that the things I was really excited about with this job (speaking, writing, coding more) have all been falling by the side as I'm trying to get up to speed on the larger projects I'm overseeing. So I just took some time out of my day to do some blogging, and that felt really good. And next week I'm giving two presentations.  So it's getting there.  I may put something in about work/anxiety management for the week after next if this is still ongoing. But it's good to realize that I have at least one tool for managing the anxiety (journaling) and that it's super effective combined with some relaxation/meditation.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, traaki said:

But it's good to realize that I have at least one tool for managing the anxiety (journaling) and that it's super effective combined with some relaxation/meditation.  

 

YES. Sometimes, just knowing you have an effective weapon can help stop the spiral. Glad you were able to pull yourself out, and here's to the things you enjoy making a comeback at work. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Friends. In case ghosting on the last two challenges wasn't enough to show you that I'm a dang mess right now, I will say it plain: I AM A DANG MESS RIGHT NOW.
 
I've realized, though that I'm enough of a mess to respawn!! YES!  Everything fell apart and we're starting again.  I admit to failure and am here to focus on some habits that support me. I have a massive backlog of shit to worry about but I'm just going to move forward.  This isn't about clearing the backlog, but about building in the time and the habit to dedicate time to things.  The backlog (I hope) will start to take care of itself. 
 
New challenges: I am going to be travelling more for work.  I have a new job and that's pretty overwhelming. We have a massive yard that needs care. 
New opportunities: I no longer live with two diet soda fiends and can control my diet and time more than I used to.
 
Q1: Workout three times per week. 
I've been working out, lackadaisically at best.  I want to be working out with an end goal in mind and the thing that feels best right now is walking. So I'm going to be walking twice a week of at least 30 minutes each time, fast enough to get my Heart points on Fit.  This will happen during my normal workout times. 
 
The third workout (Friday) will be a gardening session.  Mowing the lawn, pulling weeds, pruning things.  It doesn't actually matter how much I get done on this as long as I'm outside and getting filthy. 
 
Q2: Write twice per week before work. 
Areas of focus: 21 Day Poetry Challenge, producing my zine, finalizing Patreon rewards, posting to Patreon. 
 
Q3: Weigh myself daily. 
This is pretty productive for me--I have a weight trend tracker I use and the more I do this, the better my results seem to be. 
 
Q4: Complete one hour of YNAB/budget work every week. 
Ideally during a regular time, but this *must* happen each week. 
 
--

I'm working on my goals for the last three months of the year -- those will go up soon and will be less habit-focused, more task-focused. Probably I'm going to start putting those in their own thread. 



Q1: Workout three times per week. 

Q2: Write twice per week before work. 
 
Q3: Weigh myself daily. 
 
Q4: Complete one hour of YNAB/budget work every week. 


Report for last week:
Q1: Two out of three achieved! For a travel week, that feels like a big win.

Q2: I had one writing session I planned (on the train) and other small ones throughout the week.

Q3: I don't weigh myself on the road, but when I came back, my weight hadn't spiked like it usually does

Q4: Wah-wah, budget time was the one that lost out.

On the whole, a very successful week. Found myself generally making healthier choices (fewer beverages, less sugar, walking faster, taking stairs more).

Going forward on future trips, I'd like to standardize my breakfast, standardize my bedtime ritual, and travel with even more minimal stuff... But I'm going to add my barefoot shoes and some yoga pants as an experiment.

This week I'm traveling again, but only a few days. Anxiety has been under control. I hope to finish strong!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, traaki said:

This week I'm traveling again, but only a few days. Anxiety has been under control. I hope to finish strong!

 

 

 

Woo!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, traaki said:

On the whole, a very successful week. Found myself generally making healthier choices (fewer beverages, less sugar, walking faster, taking stairs more).

 

Nice, very good work on this challenge. Here's to the last weekend strengthening those habits.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week 3: 

Q1: Workout three times per week.  - Did a bike ride & two walks.  It's nice to be more focused on walking because I make slightly different choices in my daily life.  E.g. walking to my training instead of a Lyft.  

Q2: Write twice per week before work.  I wrote once before work and once on the plane. I'll count it.

Q3: Weigh myself daily.  Still getting this done.

Q4: Complete one hour of YNAB/budget work every week. Failed again. 

 

Week 4 I'm at home all week and lots of stressful things have ended, so I see no reason I can't get 100%. I have time set aside for budgeting today and should be good to go on the rest.  Finish strong! 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, traaki said:

Week 4 I'm at home all week and lots of stressful things have ended, so I see no reason I can't get 100%. I have time set aside for budgeting today and should be good to go on the rest.  Finish strong! 

Totally! You got this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.