• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shotokan

Shotokan keeps doing what needs to be done

I thought that my last challenge was going to disappoint me but after looking at the numbers, it was better then I expected and I was able to make some good progress. The only real downside was, I didn't update my workouts on here and I forgot some of the good stuff that I did.  Either way, I am going to keep riding the positive and keep doing what I was doing while keeping track of my workouts on here each day.

1 - Kata training - 125 katas

I am considering competing at my local club tournament in November so kata training is still at the front of my training goals.  125 is a fairly low number but not too high that will cause me to burn out like I did a few months ago. 

2 - Strength and mobility - 20 times

I have gotten into a pretty good groove with my strength workouts and I want to continue doing that same.  I created a new kettlebell workout that I can break down into chunks depending upon my energy level for each day.  It can be as few as three movements or more than nine but either way, it's keeping me working out.

3 - Relax the muscles that need to be relaxed

This is an open ended goal.  For many years, one of the things holding me back is my muscles are too tense at times. I know that the best athelets have learned how to shut off the muscles that need to be shut and turn on the muscles that need to be turned on in and instant and this is one area that I want to research further.  Even though I meditate every day, I haven't found a was to relax my muscles with my mind.  I can tense them just by thinking about them but the relax part still needs much work.

Extra credit - Log all my workouts here

This is something that I should have been doing all along but I fell into the, "I forgot or it's too late pattern" and it snowballed. Bad Shotokan, no biscuit.

• Like 1

Workout one, day one:

First day of challenge is almost always a good day for me.  Today was nasty headache from work day but workout I must do and I did.

Five katas started it out and they felt pretty good over.  After the first two, everything started to come together.  After the katas came the kettlebell and bodyweight circuit.  That went well too but the swings made my head ache a little worse.

Today's workout had:

Swings 35 x 10

Halos 20 x 10

One arm rows 20 x 5

Two arm curls 20 x 10

Zottman curls 20 x 5

Side leg raises 10

Cannonballs with bridge 6 sets of 5 second hold for each

Clam shells 10

• Like 1

Workout two, day two:

Today's workout started with a two katas.  My legs are a little sore and tight today.  Katas were slow and precise but my stances just weren't there.  I followed that with kettlebell circuit which was similar to yesterday. 

Swings 35 x 10

Halos 20 x 10

One arm rows 20 x 5

Two arm curls 20 x 10

Zottman curls 20 x 5

Side leg raises 10

Clam shells 10

Face down leg raises 5

Straight arm plank with alternating leg raise 10

Toe raises 50 x 20

• Like 1

Workout three, day three:

Today started with about 10 minutes of light stretching to help me work on my third goal.  It was a combination of active and static stretching that felt good.  After that came the kettlebell circuit with a little bump in weight on some movements.

Swings 35 x 10

Halos 25 x 10

Side Lunges 12 - I forgot to add these to my workout logs for the last two day.  These seem to be making a difference in a good way.

One arm rows 25 x 6

Two arm curls 25 x 10

Zottman curls 25 x 5

Side leg raises 10

Clam shells 10

Face down leg raises 5 - I think these are called flutter kicks

Toe raises 55 x 20

Side bends 25 x 5

This was followed up with five katas.  Today was much different than yesterday and it was either the stretching or doing the kettlebells before the kata but my stances were much lower today and my posture and power was up a lot. 

• Like 1

Workout four, day four:

Today's workout was much like yesterday starting with the same warm up stretching routine.  The only problem is, my upper back feels a little wonky after the stretch for my hips.  I have been having a problem with my neck and I assume it's related.  After that came the kettlebell workout.

Swings 35 x 12

Halos 25 x 10

Side Lunges 14

One arm rows 25 x 7

Two arm curls 25 x 10

Zottman curls 25 x 5

Side leg raises 15 - I changed these up with five each straight up, to the front and to the back.

Clam shells 10

Toe raises 55 x 20

After that came four katas again and they felt about the same as yesterday.  Stances we good again and power was up. 

I am trying to get in some good workouts because I am not sure what work is going to bring this weekend.

• Like 1

Week one, day five:

Another good workout.  I am having a problem with my back.  It might be related to the new warm up and I am going to modify it a little and see if the pain goes away.  The kettlebell workout went as follow with a little bump in weight.

Swings 42 x 10

Halos 25 x 10

Side Lunges 14

One arm rows 25 x 7

Two arm curls 25 x 10

Zottman curls 25 x 5

Side leg raises 15 - side / front / back.

Clam shells 10

Four katas finished up the workout.  They weren't as good as the past few workouts but I think it related to my back.

• Like 1

Week one, day six:

Not much of workout today.  Getting home late from work on Friday and going in early today took its toll.  Only a quick warm up and two katas just to get the blood flowing.  My legs and hips were sore and I didn't have much to give.

Week one, day seven:

Today's workout was pretty much back in the groove.  I modified the warm up and I didn't notice any more pain in my back.  The warm up has a few simple movements, lying knees to each side, lying on one side and twisting my upper body open, the side leg raises to the side, front and back, cat / camel and some DDP diamond cutters and stiff leg barback.  The back pain is still there but not any worse.  Kettlebells again with another bump in weight in the swings.

Swings 42 x 10

Halos 25 x 10

Side Lunges 16

One arm rows 25 x 8

Two arm curls 25 x 10

Zottman curls 25 x 5

Toe raises 55 x 20

Swings 42 x 10 at the end

Four katas finished it up and they were better than Friday but still not like earlier last week.  I think my back tightness is making me lean a little forward.

• Like 1

Week two, day one:

A little different workout today.  I started with a 10 minute warm up that consisted of about 10 movements.  It really warmed me up and that turned into one of the better kata training sessions that I had so far.  All the katas felt good, my stances were really low and my power was stronger than I felt it in a long time.  Only six katas but all six felt that good.  I am going to remember this workout for a while.

Nice! Yeah, if I was going to cite something as working well for added power and such, it'd probably be doing the kettlebell work or any other kind of dynamic movement. Of course, YMMV, but the general consensus seems to be that stretching prior kills power generation, so it could be that you're priming your nerves to make them twitchy. Which is a Good.

Also, super cool that you're finding ways to regulate yourself and keep showing up. Anything to make the habit easier.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kishi said:

Nice! Yeah, if I was going to cite something as working well for added power and such, it'd probably be doing the kettlebell work or any other kind of dynamic movement. Of course, YMMV, but the general consensus seems to be that stretching prior kills power generation, so it could be that you're priming your nerves to make them twitchy. Which is a Good.

Also, super cool that you're finding ways to regulate yourself and keep showing up. Anything to make the habit easier.

I haven't been the smartest with my warm ups over the years and when my back started acting up, I thought it might be something in my upper body and not my lower body.  I always focused most on my lower body warm up and even that wasn't enough but doing the whole body things seems to have open up a new path.  I found that if I do only the warm up or the warm up and the kettlebell work, the katas that follow are better and more consistent.  I was one the fence about entering the local tournament in November but if I can keep this up for another five weeks, I am going to do it.

• Like 1

Week two, day two:

I didn't make Karate class because of work but I still got in a good workout, although it was a little late.  I did the new warm up and then came four katas.  I am trying to limit my katas to four or five now because after five, with full power and speed, there seems to be diminishing returns.

Week two, day three:

Today was the new warm up with the kettlebell workout.  I bump up the weights on some movements and dropped back on a few others because I didn't feel the same muscle engagement with the heavier bell.  The swings are starting to really feel strong. 

Swings 42 x 12

Halos 20 x 10

Side Lunges 18

One arm rows 35 x 8

Two arm curls 35 x 7

Triceps extension 35 x 8

Zottman curls 20 x 5

Toe raises 77 x 20

Swings 42 x 12 at the end

Four katas at the end again.  There is one kata with a 270 degree turn on one leg followed with a side snap and today I nailed it better than I remember ever doing it.  All the katas felt really good tonight.

• Like 1

Week two, day four and five:

Only two katas on day four and one kata one day five.  Work took too much of my energy and I just needed to rest. 

Week two, day six:

The rest worked well.  That workout had the warm up, the kettlebell workout and six katas that were pretty solid.

Swings 42 x 12

Halos 20 x 10

Side Lunges 20

One arm rows 35 x 8

Two arm curls 35 x 10

Triceps extension 35 x 10

Zottman curls 20 x 5

Toe raises 77 x 20

• Like 1

Week two, day seven:

The warm up started it out and I added a few more movements.  It only takes around 10 minutes but it gets everything working.  Next came six katas and they started to get better as they progressed.  I was a little sore before my workout but everything loosened up after the warm up.

• Like 1

Week three, day one:

The warm up again.  It keeps getting more moves or more reps per move but it still feels like it's working well.  Even with only three hours of sleep last night, I was able to get in four good katas.  Power was good, stances were low and I learned something new about turns in my katas that is making my posture better.  Maybe the tired mind and body is good for kata? :flustered:

• Like 1

Week three, day two:

Great karate class, much stance work, hitting lots of pads and some good kata work.  Only three katas for the day but it all adds up.

Week three, day three:

Not a good workout day.  Chills and body aches.  Only one kata and not much of one at that.

• Like 1

Week three, day four:

Today was somewhat back to normal.  Sleep seems to have fixed the chills.  Today's workout was the warm up plus five katas today.  The katas weren't as good as a few days ago but they weren't bad either. 

• Like 1

Week three, day five:

Good workout today.  The weather change is bothering me a little but the workout went well and I was able to get the kettlebells moving again after my warm up.

Swings 42 x 12

Halos 20 x 14

Side Lunges 20

One arm rows 35 x 8

Two arm curls 35 x 10

Zottman curls 20 x 8

Toe raises 77 x 20

Front raise 25x10

Side bend 25 x10

Plank with leg raise 10

I ended the workout two katas.  They weren't feeling good, my power was down and my balance was little funky so I ended with two. 

• Like 1

Week three, day six:

Zero, zip, zilch, nada, no workout.  Too many hours at work and a party for work after made the workout non existent.

Week three, day seven:

Only three katas and no warm up.  Tired body and tired mind didn't help but I got in a little training teaching class.

Week four, day one:

The warm up started it out, six katas and three sets of kettlebell swings for 12 with the 35lb went pretty well.  Still not back to full energy yet but it was enough to get in something.

• Like 1

Week four, day two:

Karate class was really good.  Only three katas but lots of other work that ended up being a good workout with lots of focus on stances.

Week four, day three:

The warm up started it out followed up with five katas that felt pretty good.  Lots of power but a little over the top.

Week four, day five:

The warm up, then the kettlebell workout and then only two katas because the kettebell workout wore me a out a bit.

Swings 42 x 15

Halos 20 x 12

Side Lunges 20

One arm rows 35 x 10

Two arm curls 35 x 10

Zottman curls 20 x 8

Toe raises 77 x 24

Front raise 25 x 10

Swings 42 x 15

Plank with leg raise 10

• Like 1

Eight days since I checked in here?  Even though I am behind on my check ins here, my workouts have been going well.  Lots of katas, good warm ups and a couple kettlebell workouts too. Work has been smacking me with 10 to 12 hour days and weekend time too but I am fighting to keep my workouts going and so far, so good.   I have just a little over two weeks until the tournament and as long as I am not working, I am going. My katas are feeling better than before the last tournament and after my dismal showing last time, I am sure they are better now.

• Like 2

The challenge went well and I pretty much beat my kata and training goals by more than I expected.  The relax part is a work in progress but I am starting to notice my upper body loosening up.  I didn't log all my workouts this time so I need to work on that next time.  I want to finish strong and today's was one of the hardest for the entire challenge.  The elliptical started it, followed with the warm up, then kettlebells, dumbbells, band and ab work before some really strong kata. Now it's time to move on the next challenge.

• Like 1

Nice! Well-done, way to finish it out. Now all that's left is to try to peak for the tourney and show the kids what for. :)

• Like 1