• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DrFeelgood

DrFeelgood - A New Home

20 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

This may be one of the most accurate descriptions of my personality ever. :D

I mean this as sincerely as it's possible to convey in a digital medium:  I envy that.

10 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

I’m glad you’re back, but I’ll be damned if I don’t hear Motley Crue everytime your name pops up on my Tapatalk notifications emoji38.png

Anyways, through a few months I know he was able to wean himself off of sugar sugar and on to stevia with a splash of milk in his coffee.

Good luck with the house pants kicking - if that’s what needs to happen - sounds like this level of stress is either really worth it or really not, depending on where the chips lay.

The song inspired my screenname--years ago I was playing Halo at a LAN party with my friends and needed a tag, and since that was the song that was playing in the car on my way there that's what I ended up using.  Maybe I should add some umlauts.  :lol:  "I'm the one they call DrFëelgoöd"

I've never been a coffee guy.  I only ever drink sodas or water.  Unless I'm eating cookies or cake, then I can enjoy a frosty glass of the coldest milk possible.  And in the winter I'll occasionally have a mug of cocoa or cider.  But at my fitness peak I was drinking only water, so that's what I'm trying to get back to.

Thanks, I think we may have kicked it.  More below:

3 hours ago, oromendur said:

OH THANK GOODNESS it's really you. When I was reading things like "Yesterday was a fine day.  Zero soda" I was beginning to wonder if my Waffle Daddy had been kidnapped by aliens and replaced by an impostor DFG. Don't worry -- if it happened we'd totally mount a mission to come rescue you, but you would be given a Dr Pepper to drink to prove your identity :D 

More seriously, the fact that you could actually write "Yesterday was a fine day.  Zero soda" is amazing and compelling evidence of awesomeness :wub: Did it once? You can ABSOLUTELY do it again!

This is actually a really good place to be in. You're now willing to make the decision for *you* and not for them or because of any unrecognized influences from invested energy or sunk costs or whatever. It would suck to have to walk away, sure, but it would suck even more to get trapped into a deal that you knew wasn't good at the start because you weren't willing to do so. 

Good luck! Keep us updated!

Well getting back to Zero soda has been my main effort over the last couple of challenges.  As you can see it's still a work in progress.  Unless those aliens are bulletproof my standard plan in place is to pre-rescue myself and have a frosty cooler of beverages ready and waiting for the posse when they show up.  I wonder if alien is good on the grill...  ;)

I'm getting there.  Hopefully the current strides toward life stability will culminate with a return to conscientious nutrition and deliberate exercise.  It took seven years in Iowa to arrive at that point, so doing it in just four years since the move to Oklahoma would be a major improvement.

We did not walk away.  Papers have been signed, things are getting done.  I'll detail below.  Thanks for the well-wishes!

Yesterday was a good day.  Not fitness-wise, though even that wasn't awful.  I snacked a bit too much and still relied on a soda to get me through the work day.  And I didn't do anything physical.  But I did make a point of getting in to bed before midnight, which was a helpful improvement over the past several days.

The dentist called because my permanent crown arrived early and they'd had a cancellation, so I took an hour off work to go get that done before lunch.  It's very nice to finally be finished with that whole ordeal (which began during our summer vacation at the end of June), including bills all paid.  I'm definitely ready to move on.  In other recovery news my dominant wrist has now healed to the point that I'm no longer reliant on my weak hand for personal hygiene duties (heh).  I haven't tested it with more pushups recently, but I'll try to get back to those soon.  Anyway the rest of the work day was uneventful, and my evening at home was filled with guitar practice (learning the solo from Toto's "Rosanna", which has a cool riff in the middle that I'm still trying to get up to speed), family time, video browsing, Rocket League-ing, and of course the house-buying stuff...

Turns out that 15 minutes before she got my text with our final offer our realtor had received a "final" deal from the sellers that wasn't too far off (~$500) from what we wanted.  I made a small tweak to their repair allowance (because VA won't lend on a house that needs repairs) so that it will now be just a general concession toward closing costs--allowing me to pay less out of pocket at closing.  I also required them to add back one other repair item because it's a code issue (dryer vent flex-tube through the attic is a potential fire hazard, they'll have to replace it with rigid pipe) and I frankly just don't want to deal with it after closing.  That pretty much split the difference between our respective "final" offers, and I was willing to sign the supplement and solidify the deal.  Now it's a sprint to closing, which will be a little late because of the sellers' dallying, but it shouldn't negatively impact us.  All in all I'm feeling much better about the house, especially with the terms of the sale finally nailed down.  Now I can look forward to what needs to be done immediately after closing and start making those arrangements.  I still wish there was room for a power rack somewhere, but you can't have everything. B)

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

I mean this as sincerely as it's possible to convey in a digital medium:  I envy that.

Thank you. A few years ago, I used to submit a lot of photos to the now defunct (or rather dissolved) Panoramio, and someone commented that they appreciated my ability to call attention to everyday mundane objects or places and make them seem more exotic or mysterious. I think of it more as not taking anything for granted and always looking for something special and unique about even the most "common" places, people, and things. If you want to see some of those pics, a bunch of the are in Google maps somewhere. You can also follow me on Instagram. I rarely get to travel to some of the famous places that most people view as exotic, so sometimes I have to find adventure whenever and wherever I can. I guess this habit trickles into finding joy whenever and wherever I can, as well.

Keri Smith, creator of Wreck This Journal, released a book titled How to Be an Explorer of the World. Brain Pickings released a pretty excellent article about it. But there was one page in it that really struck me:

exploreroftheworld.png?w=680&ssl=1

Some of those really are life philosophies for me.

39 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Yesterday was a good day

Excellent! 

40 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

I haven't tested it with more pushups recently, but I'll try to get back to those soon.

Oh, man, the Darebee daily dare yesterday was reverse-grip pushups; I think those would have laid you out. But I am glad to hear that you are healing and hopefully you'll be back to top shape soon! 

Well done, my friend.

• Like 2

Yay on getting the house details nailed down and feeling better about the whole thing.

My left wrist is utter garbage - I do a lot of yoga wrist stretches and gentle limits testing with body weight when I’m in recovery mode from a flare up, which seems to do the trick. Tried just sucking it up and jumping in - to Ill effect.

I do something along these lines: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.yogajournal.com/.amp/poses/6-pre-practice-warm-ups-for-wrist-pain-and-carpal-tunnel-syndrome

That last one is absolute murder but works the best for my specific issues.

I also go for holding plank with an active shoulder girdle and working on side planks when trying to rebuild. Regular push-ups seem to kill mine. Chatarangua, cool; push-up, ow.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

exploreroftheworld.png?w=680&ssl=1

Some of those really are life philosophies for me.

#13 - I can tell you what a number of building materials taste like. :D

21 hours ago, darkfoxx said:

My left wrist is utter garbage - I do a lot of yoga wrist stretches and gentle limits testing with body weight when I’m in recovery mode from a flare up, which seems to do the trick. Tried just sucking it up and jumping in - to Ill effect.

I'm still healing up from the break back at the end of April.  I'm not doing Yoga, per se, but the mobility and strength drills my SIL gave me seem to cover a lot of the same bases.

Yesterday was fine.  After my morning shower I did a half-dozen bodyweight squats in front of the box fan to dry off my undercarriage.  B)  Eating was okay: one soda, a few snacks, and two decent meals.  MFG and I have been able to have a fairly regular date night for 90 minutes on Wednesdays since all of the kids have church activities to attend each week.  It's been nice to sit and chat with her, share a meal, and do some shopping.  Our date nights always seem to end up at Target or Walmart.  :lol:  I pounded out a quick guitar practice and managed to learn every part to Foo Fighters' "No Way Back" in less than an hour.  Great tune and super fun to jam.  The rhythm part is mostly open chords, so I think this might be the first song that Brick and I can play together.  He was excited about that. 

After date night I played a little Rocket League, then I went up to bed early and binged a couple more episodes of Breaking Bad, which I'm rewatching (again) in preparation for the El Camino movie coming next month.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

How am I still trying to buy this house?

We should have closed on it weeks ago, but the lender has been asking for one thing after another and it keeps pushing the closing date off.  As of today I still don't have a day/time, and we've got to be out of the rental before next Wednesday.  :blink:  We spent the weekend packing up the old place in the hopes that we can finally get the keys today or tomorrow.  At least my job is being cooperative with my compressed schedule.

Also, nothing else happened during this challenge.  I probably gained a few pounds, but I haven't weighed in for a while.  I'm at max stress capacity and can't take anything else on for now.  With that in mind I'm going to disappear for the rest of 2019 and look to reboot with 2020, exactly 5 years since first joining the NF community.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Following!

Buying a house is never easy. We went for a relative new house two years ago, and I'm so happy for it. I take it there are no other houses that spike your interest?

• Like 1

Just finished closing on the house...humungous sigh of relief!

LPbkY9E.png

Also Bubbles is getting her braces off today.  It is a very good day.  We're going to take a few hours to relax and celebrate, culminating in a big family dinner at our favorite in-town Mexican place, Los Tres Amigos, before dropping the kids at youth group.

We're set to do the major move tomorrow, but we'll start trickling stuff over to the new place tonight, and I'm sure there will be more trickling through Friday.  It's 80ºF and sunny today, so naturally tomorrow it's going to rain an inch, with strong winds and a 30ºF drop over the next 36 hours.  Such has been the month of October 2019 for me.  But I'm ready to gut out a bastard of a long weekend to get this move over and done with.  My new finish line will be Monday afternoon when the internet is scheduled to be installed at the new house, hereinafter referenced as La Hacienda.

So that's it for my 2019 of fitness, at least as far as the forum goes.  I'll be back, and hopefully I'll have made some strides in the intervening period.  It would be nice to hit the ground in 2020 already moving forward. :)

Thanks for all the encouragement and commiseration this year, friends.  It's been a doozy, and I'm looking forward to some better days.

• Like 6