Gemma replaces faulty wiring

Gemma

I was not planning to challenge this time around, mostly because my gym and foodz habits are flatlined, and I am suffering from a serious case of 'I'm not happy with where I am but really don't feel up to exerting actual effort.'

But challenging actually might help. Accountability often does.

Backstory dump:

• I was gung-ho and excited and making excellent progress with weightlifting, getting strong and feeling very healthy (I'm 52 years old but I really don't feel or act like it most of the time), eating very well, and developing really good solid habits for about a year leading up to last September.
  • Then, Hurricane Florence.  I live about 1 mile inland from the spot where she made landfall. We were very lucky, our house remained standing and didn't flood, but it did sustain serious damage that derailed a lot of habits and plans. We just recently finished most of the repairs but are still saving up for a new roof.
  • Shortly after Florence, October of 2018, the school I work at implemented a very ambitious and complex new curriculum, so my job got really stressy for two months.
  • I dealt with that by taking a 9-10 months long ride on my least favorite life-carnival attraction, the anxiety/depression roller-coaster. I may or may not still be on it. It can be hard to tell, sometimes. If I am still on the ride, I'm climbing up to the top of a hill at present.
  • Gym habits are barely 'meh' at best. Sometimes I show up, but I don't do much. Many days I talk myself out of showing up at all. 
  • Eating has fluctuated between atrocious and minimally acceptable.
  • I just got back from a faculty development trip because this October we are implementing Another. Newer. More Ambitious and More Complex new curriculum for a different school (the military likes to roll out new programs in October, because fiscal year or whatever.) So the JOB is about to get very stressy again, but the non-job bits of my life are presently (knock on wood) mostly stable.

I really do want to get back to that magic place where I feel healthy and strong and in some sort of control of my own destiny again. But sitting on my bahookie and hoping that it will just magically happen with no effort on my part has been astonishingly unsuccessful, so I guess I should have a go at a different approach.

Mind/Mood Re-wiring:

I signed up, some time ago, for a Coursera course called "The Science of Well-Being," but I didn't follow through with it. I think I got through the first two weeks of the 10 week course. It's a positive psychology/cognitive science class from Yale, and it is actually quite well designed. It has been so popular, both at Yale and as a MOOC, that they have actually developed an app to help people track the "re-wirements" that they recommend. Dr. Santos also now has a podcast (The Happiness Lab.)

Some of the things that they recommend are things I already do (I have a very well established meditation habit, for example) and some are things that I know I should do but don't, like gratitude journaling.

Challenge Goal: Watch the weekly lectures, and log at least two "happiness activities" daily in the Re-Wi app.

Health/Body Re-wiring:

I have been inconsistent/absent from the gym enough lately that it is appropriate (at my age) to basically start over almost as though I have not lifted before. For the last few months I've done mostly kettlebell stuff, and not enough of that to really even count as 'minimal effective dose.' I don't remember the last time my hands touched a barbell.

I moved some furniture (disassembled in Ikea boxes) on Saturday - and now, on Tuesday, I am still so sore and stiff that when I woke up this morning I thought I might have the flu. I don't. But I definitely need to ease back into heavy lifting slowly and sensibly. Injuring myself right now would be a terrible idea.

Challenge goals:

1. Daily yoga
  2. 3 gym sessions per week with a program
  3. At least 10 servings of vegetable/week

I keep adding yoga into my daily routine, doing it for a few days, loving how it makes me feel, and then completely forgetting it. This is intentionally a small goal - one round of Sun Salute in the morning or one round of Moon Salute at night will suffice.

I'm going to re-start the quickest, most minimalist beginner gym program I have access to, Nia Shanks' Beginner Strength Training.  Part of my problem lately is not having a program to follow, I've been just rolling with the "well, I'll warm up, maybe do some swings, see how I feel, go from there ..." <- that does NOT work for me.

My meal planning game has fallen off the track lately. Hello Fresh takes care of two dinners and two lunches per week (I make four portions of everything, last night's dinner is always today's lunch). But the other meals trend towards peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or takeout far too frequently.

• Like 5

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Read Harder Challenge                                                                                                                                        

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

Good luck. Are you in the military or a civilian auxiliary or whatever the correct term is?

Warriors don't count reps and sets. They count tons.

My psychologist weighs 45 pounds, has an iron soul and sits on the end of a bar

Tally Sheet for 2019

Encouragement for older members: Chronologically Blessed Group;

Encouragement for newbie lifters: When we were weaker

2 minutes ago, wildross said:

Good luck. Are you in the military or a civilian auxiliary or whatever the correct term is?

Thanks! I'm a Navy veteran, and I now work in civil service as the faculty development coordinator/curriculum liaison for a USMC leadership school.

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

You back story sounds similar to mine, except I think you are further along in the character arc. There are definitely strong similarities between our epic battles though. In fact... it almost seems like it would be a good idea for us to team up. Whether as accountability gym buddies, or moral support to remind each other that working on mental health issues is totally worth it, or any other two-prong attack we can think of.

Stress Hydra must die!

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

I was almost going to say your goals sound BIG but then you explained about yoga being short and getting Hello Fresh. That seems to make it more manageable (hopefully).

I should look into Re-Wi... 

• Like 1

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, scalyfreak said:

You back story sounds similar to mine, except I think you are further along in the character arc. There are definitely strong similarities between our epic battles though. In fact... it almost seems like it would be a good idea for us to team up. Whether as accountability gym buddies, or moral support to remind each other that working on mental health issues is totally worth it, or any other two-prong attack we can think of.

Stress Hydra must die!

Yes, indeed, we do seem to be fighting similar wars. I would love to have an accountability/moral support partner!

23 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

I was almost going to say your goals sound BIG but then you explained about yoga being short and getting Hello Fresh. That seems to make it more manageable (hopefully).

I should look into Re-Wi... 

They actually were a little big - the yoga was okay, the food was perhaps too ambitious. I changed it, because really - protein has never been my problem. Vegetables have been a problem. And limiting it to lunch/dinner takes away my incentive to throw spinach in my smoothie or scrambled eggs in the morning. Ten vegetables a week. That seems doable.

I also changed my mind (already) about the lifting program. When I went to print off the 3x3x3 materials, I realized that while it is meant for quick workouts, it is not really a 'beginner' program. So I'm going all the way back to full-on NOOB status for at least the duration of this challenge. I expect I'll get strong again faster than the first time around (I generally have in other re-boots) so at the end of this challenge I may be ready for something more ... challenging. But I don't want to push myself to injury.

I like the ReWi app so far - it is very similar to a LOT of other trackers out there, but it is nice to have a lot of positive habits trackable in one app (it covers all of the habits specifically covered in Dr. Santos' class). I am really motivated by things that show how long I've kept a streak going, so this has a fair chance of working well for me.

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yay, you are here!

Yeah, having a new lifting programme can be exciting. And having a plan prevents decision fatigue.

Good luck with the super extra new and improved curriculum season :) 

You have a very strong international influence on me - I've only barely ever been out of the U.S. a few times, but after foruming with you this past year I find myself wanting to use European spellings for various things. I've had to go back and change 'programme' to 'program' every time I've written it in this thread, just so I don't sound like I'm trying to pretend to be more cosmopolitan than I truly am ;P

So here's what I've got so far:

Mind/Mood Rewiring:

Tuesday - 2 'happiness enhancers' logged: meditation, 7.5 hours sleep

Wednesday - 3 logged so far: mediation, 8 hours sleep, 40 minutes exercise

Health/Body Rewiring:

Tuesday:

1 round of Moon Salute

Pork and corn street tacos for lunch, PB&J for dinner - weekly veggie total 0

Wednesday:

3 rounds of Sun Salute (one in morning routine, two during gym warm-up)

Spinach in smoothie, leftover sautéed broccoli for lunch - weekly veggie total 2

Gym...

1) rear-foot elevated split squats 3x6 (bodyweight, and a little unsteady, but not as sucky as I remembered them)

2) One-armed strict press: 20# x 6; 15# x 10, 10# x 13

3) Neutral-grip pulldown: 70# x 10, 85# x 2 x 6

• Like 3

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

21 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Yes, indeed, we do seem to be fighting similar wars. I would love to have an accountability/moral support partner!

tenor.gif?itemid=5205868

Okay, let's do this! :)

21 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I also changed my mind (already) about the lifting program. When I went to print off the 3x3x3 materials, I realized that while it is meant for quick workouts, it is not really a 'beginner' program. So I'm going all the way back to full-on NOOB status for at least the duration of this challenge. I expect I'll get strong again faster than the first time around (I generally have in other re-boots) so at the end of this challenge I may be ready for something more ... challenging. But I don't want to push myself to injury.

What program are you going to use? I'm in a very similar situation, and am also looking for a completely fresh start, since trying to get back into the gym on the program I used before is just discouraging. I'm thinking of going back to Starting Strength, but thanks in large part to underhanded attacks from Procrastination, I'm still undecided.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

You have a very strong international influence on me - I've only barely ever been out of the U.S. a few times, but after foruming with you this past year I find myself wanting to use European spellings for various things. I've had to go back and change 'programme' to 'program' every time I've written it in this thread, just so I don't sound like I'm trying to pretend to be more cosmopolitan than I truly am ;P

I did not intend to corrupt. I can write no other way. HONOUR! DOUGHNUT! VALOUR! Ahem.

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

What program are you going to use? I'm in a very similar situation, and am also looking for a completely fresh start, since trying to get back into the gym on the program I used before is just discouraging. I'm thinking of going back to Starting Strength, but thanks in large part to underhanded attacks from Procrastination, I'm still undecided.

I'm also interested to hear what lifting programme you choose and how it works out. Not because I need a programme, just because I like thinking about programming. 

Gosh. Now that you've pointed it out, I feel strangely aware of my spelling.

• Haha 3

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

I did not intend to corrupt. I can write no other way. HONOUR! DOUGHNUT! VALOUR! Ahem.

Oh, the honor bestowed upon the valorous donut. 

And they say american english has unnecessary letters. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:28 PM, scalyfreak said:

For right now I'm just doing the free "for the COMPLETE NOOB" women's strength beginner program that Nia Shanks has on her website, here.

I probably won't do the full twelve weeks, because I'm not really a *complete* noob and should be ready for something a bit more challenging in a couple of weeks, but I think starting off in a way that won't leave me too sore to walk upstairs at bedtime is very important to me right now.

When I'm ready to progress more than this basic bodyweight/dumbbell program is meant to do, I'll probably reboot either her 3x3x3 or her Beautiful Badass Lab (both of which I have already purchased, used, and liked.) I sound like a Nia Shanks fangirl - 'kay, maybe I am - but every programme I've ever bought from her has been sensibly designed and led to positive results without a lot of nonsense magickal thinking claims or undue hype.

I did enjoy Starting Strength, very much so, but I may have pursued my Linear Progression too aggressively because I definitely got injured much more frequently during my two most Rippetoe-informed years.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 4:11 PM, Harriet said:

Gosh. Now that you've pointed it out, I feel strangely aware of my spelling.

I may have unfairly scapegoated you. I'm an unintentional Anglophile (or, at least, I drive a MINI Cooper, I read far too much Pratchett/ Fforde/ Gaiman/ Alexander, I adore Earl Grey, and I'm a sucker for a cute bulldog), so I sometimes lapse into colourful language usage even without having an internet friend to blame it on. I apologise.

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 6:38 PM, Grumble said:

Oh, the honor bestowed upon the valorous donut. 

And they say american english has unnecessary letters. 

"Throughout. It is psychotic," Gemma condemns, gnomically doubting the solemn knight while archiving the obscene signs.

• Haha 5

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

Progress on Electrical Work:

Mind/Mood Rewiring:

Thursday - 3 'happiness enhancers' logged: meditation, 7.5 hours sleep, savoring (I had a facial)

Friday - 3 logged so far: mediation, 7 hours sleep, 30 minutes exercise

I should probably up my goal to 3 per day - I will generally get at least two without making special effort, since my meditation habit is a non-negotiable part of morning routine and I do tend to sleep well.

Health/Body Rewiring:

Thurs:

No yoga. Totally forgot. <-- this is why I need it to be a challenge goal until I can make it be a habit!

PB&J and a fruit cup for lunch, but dinner was a Hello Fresh with broccoli - weekly veggie total 3

Friday:

2 rounds of Sun Salute as gym warmup

Spinach in smoothie, leftover broccoli with lunch - weekly veggie total 5 and tonight's dinner plan is a ham and broccoli quiche. I swear I do know about other veggies besides brok, but it is my current default.

Gym...

1) goblet squats

2) pushups

3) inverted rows

• Like 4

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

26 minutes ago, Gemma said:

For right now I'm just doing the free "for the COMPLETE NOOB" women's strength beginner program that Nia Shanks has on her website, here.

I've seen that program before! I have her dumbbell program in my tracking app for when I stay at hotels that only have dumbbells. And I'm a Nia Shanks fangirl more for her articles on nutrition and body image, than for the workout programs, but I suspect that's more because I've only tried the free dumbbell ones.

9 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Thurs:

No yoga. Totally forgot. <-- this is why I need it to be a challenge goal until I can make it be a habit! 

I schedule my gym workouts in my Google Calendar, and have them set up to pop up reminders on my phone a couple of times before they're due. Is that something that might help with the yoga?

Book Riot Challenge 2021

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I like the concept of happiness enhancers :) 

Get a clicker and pavlov yourself into happiness. I read a thing on tumblr (YMMV) about a girl who would use a clicker everytime she had a happy thought. Cute story, interesting idea, dunno if it works.

• Like 1

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

On 9/20/2019 at 12:36 PM, scalyfreak said:

I schedule my gym workouts in my Google Calendar, and have them set up to pop up reminders on my phone a couple of times before they're due. Is that something that might help with the yoga?

Hmm, great thought. I don't get up at the same time every day so I can't pick a specific 'yoga time' but you sparked a useful closely related idea. I have a folder on my phone specifically to keep my whole morning routine in one place (bible app, Headspace, BuJo app, etc.) I just downloaded a random free app named "Yoga" and put it in that folder to remind me that this is also now part of "just what we do before getting dressed for the day." I'm not using the app for the yoga, but seeing it there is a trigger. 

It did lead to Sun Salutes this morning, right after meditation, so ... so far so good :) Thanks! 

On 9/20/2019 at 12:38 PM, Harriet said:

Me too - it sounds better than "re-wirements" which is what the Well-Being course calls them, so that's what I'm going with henceforth. 

• Like 4

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

On 9/20/2019 at 10:38 AM, Harriet said:

34 minutes ago, Gemma said:

Me too - it sounds better than "re-wirements" which is what the Well-Being course calls them, so that's what I'm going with henceforth. 

I think of them as mental buffs. Or mana boosters. :) 

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Yooooo excited to see you back at it! And I love the idea of finding time for happiness enhancers in your daily ritual!

Excited to see how it all works out for you as an occasional visitor, when digital restrictions allow.

Hi, friend! Good to see you around, even on a very limited capacity. Miss you, but this stepping-away-from-the-screen process seems super healthy and I'm proud of you for sticking to it. (yeah, assumptions. I know.)

The happiness boosters in the class are all like - super simple stuff that "everybody already knows" - but it is still surprisingly helpful for me to be doing this course and getting reminded about all the stuff I already know increases my mental healthiness. Like, basic basics: get enough sleep, meditate, exercise, connect socially with the people you care about, be kind, be intentionally grateful, savor pleasant experiences, set goals. Duh. But, if not reminded regularly ... I totally forget about why any or all of that is 'a good thing.' 

giphy.gif

I am on a poorly-planned staycation for the next two weeks, so I'm actually pretty proud of myself that I did work out both Monday and today. That is somehow unreasonably hard for me to do at home, especially when I'm not on a schedule and have no fixed commitments. 

Mind/Mood Rewiring:

Saturday - 3 'happiness enhancers' logged: meditation, 7.5 hours sleep, social connection (hubs and I had an axe-throwing date night and met some cool new people)

Sunday - 2: sleep and meditate

Monday - 3: sleep, meditate, exercise

Tuesday - 2: sleep and meditate

Wednesday - 3: sleep, meditate, exercise

Health/Body Rewiring:
Weekend:

Did Sun Salutes both days - thank you @scalyfreak for the :eagerness: idea of an electronic reminder, just putting that icon in my 'morning routine' folder on the phone seems to have done the trick. So far, at least. 

Saturday - PB & J for lunch, dinner at Panera. I waffled on whether to count my tomato soup/bacon tomato grilled cheese as having any vegetables, but at least it is better (more vegetable-y) than my usual mac-n-cheese + grilled cheese combo. Wow. I like cheese. 

Sunday - both lunch and dinner were leftover ham/broccoli quiche. I think that makes my weekly veggie total a 7.  Okay, I'm pretty sure I can do better than that. 

Monday:

a.m. routine Sun Salute

Last of the quiche for lunch (veggie 1)
Dinner was PB&J because the Hello Fresh delivery was late and I hadn't thawed anything for a Plan B. (excuse, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) 

Gym...

1) One-legged RDLs* 

2) KB strict press

3) band -assisted pull-ups

Tuesday:

a.m. routine Sun Salute

Rice and leftover roasted brok for lunch (veggie 2)
Hello Fresh cheese tortellini for dinner (veggie 3, contains good quantity of peas and zucchini)

Wednesday:

a.m. routine Sun Salute

Leftover tortellini for lunch (veggie 4)
Tonight will be HF mushroom chicken with mashed potatoes and roasted carrots (veggie 5)

Gym...

1) goblet squats

2) pushups

3) inverted rows

I'm glad I chose to go with this super-beginner program, it is doable at home (with minor modification, noted below) and also I am seeing fairly rapid improvement. I mean, I still feel like a beached jellyfish, but I am starting to remember what it feels like to feel strong and believe that I can feel like that again - which is a kind of awesome. 

* the program calls for regular DB or KB RDLs here, but because I am at home and the heaviest KB I own is 25#, I'm using the one-leg variation. I'm glad I have to do this, I need the balance practice. If I don't do balance work regularly and consistently, I ... 

tenor.gif?itemid=14272217

(except the only reason I don't fall down is I keep my free hand very close to a support and use it often!) 

• Like 4

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

Weekend:

Did Sun Salutes both days - thank you @scalyfreak for the :eagerness: idea of an electronic reminder, just putting that icon in my 'morning routine' folder on the phone seems to have done the trick. So far, at least. 

Wohoo, I helped! :triumphant:

I'm a firm believed in productive screen time - most of us have our phones on us or near us pretty much 24/7. We may as well make them work for us, and contribute to making our life better. :)

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

I'm glad I chose to go with this super-beginner program, it is doable at home (with minor modification, noted below) and also I am seeing fairly rapid improvement. I mean, I still feel like a beached jellyfish, but I am starting to remember what it feels like to feel strong and believe that I can feel like that again - which is a kind of awesome. 

You are already strong. What you're doing with your super-beginner program is making you stronger.

Because we're iron worshiping warriors, we tend to stare ourselves blind at the physical side of the strength equation, because that's the one that is easy to quantify and measure, and we forget the mental component. Not entirely, of course. We all know the mental sides of lifting as anxiety meditation or therapy, we all know that there is a critical psychological component to attempting a heavy lift we have failed on in the past. But when we talk bout building strength or becoming stronger, we inevitably start to focus on the muscle building part.

You decided you didn't like the situation you were in, and decided to do something about it. You decided what needed to be done, and you started doing it. None of that is nearly as easy as it sounds, and it does take a certain amount of mental strength and fortitude not only to get started, but to keep going. We are legit badasses just by being here and doing something. Let's not forget that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Oh dear. Sorry for the multiple posts. Oh no. They were quantum entangled and deleting one deleted the other.

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Because we're iron worshiping warriors, we tend to stare ourselves blind at the physical side of the strength equation, because that's the one that is easy to quantify and measure, and we forget the mental component. Not entirely, of course. We all know the mental sides of lifting as anxiety meditation or therapy, we all know that there is a critical psychological component to attempting a heavy lift we have failed on in the past. But when we talk bout building strength or becoming stronger, we inevitably start to focus on the muscle building part.

This is a timely and excellent reminder. Iron hands. Iron heart. Small but mighty. 

6 hours ago, Gemma said:

I am on a poorly-planned staycation for the next two weeks, so I'm actually pretty proud of myself that I did work out both Monday and today. That is somehow unreasonably hard for me to do at home, especially when I'm not on a schedule and have no fixed commitments. 

I feel this. My natural form is ooze. It is significantly harder to shapeshift into human form and achieve human things without the assistance of schedules, classes, appointments, and the crushing weight of the expectations of others. 

• Like 1

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

Staycation 2020 has been astonishingly productive so far. And I still have a whole week left! Who knows what I might accomplish in that time :o?!? Build a working teleporter? Find a cure for Imposter Syndrome? Watch out world, Gemma has free time and a reasonable amount of personal energy ... at the SAME TIME!!! This is an unprecedented situation. Be afraid. 

Mind/Mood Rewiring:

Wednesday - 4 'happiness enhancers' logged: sleep, meditate, exercise, and social connection - bible study and great conversation with friends

Thursday - 3: sleep, meditate, more social connection (great phone call with #3 son)

Friday - 4: sleep, meditate, exercise, and even more social connection (another great phone call with #3 son ... he has been having some "I need my mommy" moments lately, but not in a bad way, he is thinking about making a major life choice and is actually seeking my advice.)

Weirdest darned thing in the world - When you log a ReWirement in the ReWi app, it asks you what your mood is at the moment.  This is not a super precise tool - the only 4 options are Fine, Happy, Sad, or Anxious. I log almost everything in the "Fine" realm, which is great - I am delighted to not be in a particularly Sad or Anxious cycle of my life right now. 

I am an introvert's introvert. But every time this week that I have logged a 'social connection' in the ReWi app, I have recorded my mood as "happy." 

Apparently I do actually like spending time with the people I care about. What is this witchcraft? I don't even know myself any more! 

Health/Body Rewiring:
Sun Salutes every morning, still working for me as a part of the Morning Routine. Yay! 

Today's gym

One-legged RDLs

KB strict press

Band-assisted pull-ups. 

Thursday: Lunch - leftover HF chicken w/mushrooms and carrots 6

Dinner - ground beef w/peas and mushrooms in garlic sauce 7
Friday: Lunch - leftover tortellini w/peas and zucchini 8

Dinner - leftover HF chicken w/mushrooms and carrots 9

Also, this should count as some sort of accessory work - I mean, I farmers-carried the air compressor up the stairs, hauled all manner of other things up and down, and some of the parts of that desk ain't light! But ... I feel super accomplished right now. 

• Like 4

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor