• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
PinkNinja

The "I didn't want a challenge" Challenge

I didn't participate last month and had planned on not participating this month. I was feeling tired of failing and felt like I don't even really have any goals.
I decided that meant I really needed to do one and get out this stupid funk. I haven't had time to sit down and type it up in the last couple of days, but I've actually felt better since deciding I'd do something. Guess I was right. I kind of had a lightbulb moment on several things that day.  One of the big things is remembering that when I keep saying "I'll do this when life is normal again" or "That's for when things calm down". This IS my life. Sure, right now, I've got a little more disappointing drama going on at work than usual, but there's always SOMETHING with work.  And I just gained a new niece, but there's always something with my family. And I'm getting ready for an awesome trip, but I pretty much think all trips are awesome. And...   THIS. IS. MY. LIFE.  It will always be like this. Always. And for the most part, I love it. So I need to quit crapping on it and roll with it.

So, I'm rolling like this:

1. Yoga/light BW 4x a week, at least 15 minutes each time.
My arm still doesn't straighten all the way, and if there's too much weight or pull on it, it starts to hurt. So I'm going to take it easy and not start too quickly.

2. Walk daily.

I wanted to start running again. I started the 5k training. Just the first day of it aggravated my tailbone pain to a point worse than it has been in months. Even counting the marathon 12 hour drive in June. I took some NSAIDs, waited a couple days, and tried again. That was a terrible idea. After I lose some weight, i want to renew my attempts at finding pain relief. I miss running and I miss TKD.  A MA school that does isshin ryu and TKD  has opened less than an hour from me.
In the meantime, I need to walk. It doesn't annoy my coccyx. No time or distant constraints, just walk more than I was. I've already started doing little things like I park my work truck as far away as possible. I make a loop around the park buildings before I go inside, both to inspect the building and pick up any trash. Though when I first started that, it really confused some of my employees. The guy at the marina kept coming out to see what was wrong. And yes, I can walk all the way around the marina. It has a deck. :) Turtle and I are still walking at least once a day. When the heat index gets back below 95 for my lunch breaks, we'll go back to twice a day. 

3. Track food and have less than 1200 calories/day.
Going to see how long of a streak I can get on MFP.
I need to focus on nutrition. My yearly checkup showed Pre-diabetic results. Also, ever since I broke my arm, my blood pressure has been crazy high. It wasn't beforehand. My doc is referring me to an endocrinologist because he thinks it's all hormone issues.  Regardless, I've been shuffling through food. I did a personal challenge to see how long I go without buying groceries buy using up my hoarded food. I went 5 weeks and all I bought was a bag of salad mix because I got sick of frozen vegetable blends. Now that I've reduced inventory, I'm not going to build it up like that. I was buying stuff because I "should" eat it, not because I would. I tried to pay attention to the things that had really piled up. Apparently, the "steak house green beans" in a steamable bag were on sale regularly and I stocked up before finding out I hate them. 

4. Spend as little as possible on food and nothing else.
A banking mistake (on my part. :( ) and stupid medical bills murdered my emergency fund AND the money I had set aside to go to Iceland next month. (Who would've thought that the doctor bills you completely separately from the ER?!? )  I've already bought the plane ticket, and paid for the trip. I wouldn't get even half my money back if I canceled the trip.  So I'm going to go anyway. I'm going to fund what I can with cash and I have a credit card that will handle the rest. It will put me in an uncomfortably tight place financially for at least a few months after I get home. I'm just going take lots of amazing photos with which to console myself.

• Like 3

Welcome back!

I agree completely on THIS.IS.MY.LIFE. "When things slow down" is a myth. Sure, things are different in the winter, but not actually slower. 

Good for you on working with your body where it is now in recovery. It is frustrating not to be able to do things that used to be easy. Hang in there, it will get better.

Wow, you had a lot of food on hand. I get that impulse to buy things because they look good on the moment or they are on sale. It sounds like you learned a lot about what you like and how much you actually need.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2019 at 2:56 PM, Mistr said:

Wow, you had a lot of food on hand. I get that impulse to buy things because they look good on the moment or they are on sale.

I live pretty far from town and about an hour from a good grocery store. For a long time, I lived even further away on a mountain top. I have this little voice in my head that tells me I need to "stock up".  She needs to shut up. lol I still have too much food. Part of it was also that I received a shipment of Nutrisystem stuff last winter after I was already sick of everything they had, so I have several of those meals left.  Plus, I ate dinner with my family once a week, and I don't eat breakfast. It's not uncommon for me to also skip lunch. I'm trying to get better about the second one.

1. For this week, I did maybe 30 minutes of yoga/bw total. No good excuse just didn't do it. I need to clear up enough space in one of my rooms. That will help.

2. I have walked daily. Turtle is a good motivator. He stands next to the door and hits it with his paw. It makes me feel guilty, so we go walk. lol

3. 5/7 on tracking food. The two days I didn't, I still probably came in under my calorie goal. I only ate dinner both days, and one day dinner was cream of mushroom soup cause I was tired and just wanted to go to bed. The other was pork&Poblano tacos. Man, they were good. And I have leftovers for tonight. ^_^

4. Bought gas yesterday. Paid my ACA membership dues. I have to keep it current to stay a paddling instructor. I didn't realize it was due now. I need to add a YNAB category for annual memberships or at least add it to my annual fees.

I'm going in March to get my Certified Interpretive Guide certification. I got it in 2007 when I first started working for state parks. It lasts 4 years. I didn't renew it because at the time, it was way too expensive for me, having just graduated college and just starting out. So now I get to get it again, through work. That's not really related to anything, but I'm happy about it.

I'm signed up for a "Transformer"  6 month dietbet. It started July 15th, so we're on round 3. I met both my goals for the previous rounds and am fairly close to the third round goal with 22 days left. If you aren't familiar with dietbet, you pay into a pot saying you'll lose weight. There's two games (I think just 2) Transformers which are 6 month games broken into 6 rounds. The goal is to lose 10% of your body weight in that time. You really have to lose it by month five and then maintain til the 6th month.
They also have kickstarters which are 4 week games where the goal is to lose 4% of your bodyweight.  You can be in more than one game at a time, so I've been signing up for  kickstarters that lines up with the rounds in my 6 month one. If I meet the goal for the Kickstarter, I automatically meet the goal for the transformer.

I've lost 16 lbs since July 15th, so I'm pretty happy with my progress using it. Money is a good motivator.

Also motivating is knowing how much hiking we'll be doing in Iceland. :D

• Like 2

Hey, yeah, I've heard about that before. That's neat that it's working out for you - money is a pretty powerful motivator. :D 

I hear you on needing to get stuff cleaned up and out of the place. It's something I'm dealing with too. It's weird; it's something you work around until you can't anymore, but then somehow you just find your way to not doing it, if you're anything like me.

But it's better for it to be done than not. Life is better with a cleaner space. So. Let's us get it done, hm?

• Like 1

Yay for Turtle getting you out walking!

Congratulations on losing 16 pounds! That is terrific progress. I'm glad the dietbet challenges are working for you.

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 4:43 PM, Kishi said:

Hey, yeah, I've heard about that before. That's neat that it's working out for you - money is a pretty powerful motivator. :D 

I hear you on needing to get stuff cleaned up and out of the place. It's something I'm dealing with too. It's weird; it's something you work around until you can't anymore, but then somehow you just find your way to not doing it, if you're anything like me.

But it's better for it to be done than not. Life is better with a cleaner space. So. Let's us get it done, hm?

Money is a fantastic motivator. I also like interacting with all the other folks doing the bet. 

My main hurdle to having a clean space is I still can't unpack. I'm in a temporary house with an unknown timeline. May move out next week, may move out in January. So most of my stuff is still boxed up and stored all around my house. And I can't use one room of the house because work is storing stuff in it. So when I say "clear up space", I really mean "shove boxes around till my mat fits". I can't wait to get in a house and stay for a few years. 

• Like 1

I'm at a 3 day conference. No accurately tracking food but I've done well choosing the healthier/lower calorie options. Lots of walking and I did yoga before bed tonight. 

I've spent no money and won a $400 Yeti cooler on wheels at the trade show. A couple coworkers are considering buying it from me for $375 :)

• Like 3

Good for you eating well at the conference. Nice luck winning the cooler!

Living in a temporary space for an uncertain time sounds awful. I hope the new job location will be a big improvement and let you settle down for a good long time.

• Like 1

No one bought the cooler. Yet. lol

I've been mostly tracking my food. I've only missed 3 days since the conference. 

I've not done well on my yoga goal, though I did get a space made. I need to let go of this "I'm going to do it in the morning" idea and just do it in the evenings after I walk.

I've done well on not spending. The only thing I bought other than food was a pair of gloves for my trip. I have been working on packing and can only find one of 3 different pairs of gloves. *sigh*  Oh and I ordered a pack of 100 drawer repair wedges. Most of my bedroom furniture is falling apart. I figure repairing them before I move would be a good idea. I have plenty of wood glue and screws. I've already repaired what I could with what I had on hand.  I'm trying to decide if I want to ask for new drawer pulls for Christmas or make some glass ones. Off topic, right.

I've walked nearly every day. That's probably the most successful of my goals this time around.  Turtle helps with that.

I've got to start making progress on making people's gifts for Christmas. :/  Today is my Friday, so I am going to warp both my looms while I'm off. The big one for dish towels and a scarf on the little one. Warping is tedious so I put it off but I love everything after it. So before the end of the day on Thursday, I'm gonna post a picture of at least 2 warped looms. I'm also going to make more progress on packing for my trip. I haven't even made out a complete packing list yet. :O

• Like 2

Looks like it's been a busy time for you, then! Good on you for tracking food and getting out walking! Sorry to hear that the yoga hasn't happened, but it sounds like doing it after the walking is the better move since that's when you'll have the momentum working. I hope it's been that way for you.

Also, yeah, Christmas. I'mma keep bravely ignoring it. Yup. That's a plan.