NeverThatBored: Be

NeverThatBored

Lately I've been feeling kind of....embarrassed? That's not quite the right word, but it's the closest I've got. And it's not about any specific incident, but more like...my basic existence? 

Like, I'm catching up with someone I haven't talked to in half a year and she asks what I've been up to, and the answer is....the same 3 hobbies I had 6 months ago. And somehow my brain feels like that's not enough and I feel really self conscious about the whole conversation. 

Or I buy a nice pair of workout leggings and I'm briefly excited, then I feel self-conscious and over-indulgent even though they're really nice and I do really like them. 

Or like, someone forces their way into my lane in traffic and I'm really annoyed at them, even though normally I pride myself on being a very patient and reasonable driver. And then I just kind of feel bad, like this isn't the kind of person I want to be. 

OR I'm a little awkward when I'm leading a working session at work (which is standard for me tbh) but then I leave the meeting wondering whether I'm really any good at my job at all.

All different things, but the common thread is this feeling of dissatisfaction or embarrassment or self-consciousness or whatever it is. None of these things is so weird on its own, but it just feels really pervasive lately and I really don't like it. 

-- SO -- 

A few weeks ago something like this popped up on facebook:

be-who-you-needed-when-you-were-younger-StrongHealthyWoman.com-Dr-Laura-Miranda.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

And for some reason it really stuck in my head? I had a perfectly good childhood so it's not like I lacked positive adult influences or anything. But given the way I've been feeling lately, I think it might be a good time to run a challenge based on the sort of abstract idea of "who do you want to be?" and see if that helps.

Goals

1. I've got a few ongoing fitness goals...

• Extra pullup work 2x/week (This is pretty routine now but I'm going to keep it as a goal for one more challenge to make sure it's cemented)
  • Mobility 3x/week - there's a lot I want to do here but for now, just doing it 3x/week is enough
  • Food goals...the approach I've been taking hasn't been working lately, so I'm going to track food with the youate app for 2 weeks and then see where I want to go from there

2. The "who do you want to be" goals are a little harder to quantify. I've got a few different lists of things I've come up with, but they don't really lend themselves to concrete goals. So every week, if not more often, I want to answer the question "were you who you wanted to be this week?" and use that to calibrate what I'm working on. And of course I'll post about said things here. 

• Like 5

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 47

2021 challenges:  46 | 4748 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

That last goal sounds like a great thought experiment!

• Thanks 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Lately I've been feeling kind of....embarrassed? That's not quite the right word, but it's the closest I've got. And it's not about any specific incident, but more like...my basic existence? 

Like, I'm catching up with someone I haven't talked to in half a year and she asks what I've been up to, and the answer is....the same 3 hobbies I had 6 months ago. And somehow my brain feels like that's not enough and I feel really self conscious about the whole conversation. 

Or I buy a nice pair of workout leggings and I'm briefly excited, then I feel self-conscious and over-indulgent even though they're really nice and I do really like them. 

Or like, someone forces their way into my lane in traffic and I'm really annoyed at them, even though normally I pride myself on being a very patient and reasonable driver. And then I just kind of feel bad, like this isn't the kind of person I want to be. 

OR I'm a little awkward when I'm leading a working session at work (which is standard for me tbh) but then I leave the meeting wondering whether I'm really any good at my job at all.

All different things, but the common thread is this feeling of dissatisfaction or embarrassment or self-consciousness or whatever it is. None of these things is so weird on its own, but it just feels really pervasive lately and I really don't like it. 

-- SO -- 

A few weeks ago something like this popped up on facebook:

be-who-you-needed-when-you-were-younger-StrongHealthyWoman.com-Dr-Laura-Miranda.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

And for some reason it really stuck in my head? I had a perfectly good childhood so it's not like I lacked positive adult influences or anything. But given the way I've been feeling lately, I think it might be a good time to run a challenge based on the sort of abstract idea of "who do you want to be?" and see if that helps.

Goals
1. I've got a few ongoing fitness goals...
  • Extra pullup work 2x/week (This is pretty routine now but I'm going to keep it as a goal for one more challenge to make sure it's cemented)
  • Mobility 3x/week - there's a lot I want to do here but for now, just doing it 3x/week is enough
  • Food goals...the approach I've been taking hasn't been working lately, so I'm going to track food with the youate app for 2 weeks and then see where I want to go from there

2. The "who do you want to be" goals are a little harder to quantify. I've got a few different lists of things I've come up with, but they don't really lend themselves to concrete goals. So every week, if not more often, I want to answer the question "were you who you wanted to be this week?" and use that to calibrate what I'm working on. And of course I'll post about said things here. 

I believe these are signs of a level-up coming. I felt them in the past and latently feel them now. Don't force it and cherish these feelings. They will guide you.
I'm not doing that now, I'm fighting the struggle, so I'm the not the person to follow example from.
Are you journaling? I found it gives direction. Even writing down the best and worst moment in the day, it will reveal themes. I'll admit, I need to go back journaling for the same reasons I'm telling you to.
  • Like 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

ADSFGHJKL GUYS I DID A PULLUP

...3 times!!! 

• Like 8

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45 | |

Love your challenge idea and look forward to following along. I think you verbalized a feeling the I (and probably many others) feel.

also congrats on the pull-ups!!!!!

• Like 1

2021 Reading Challenge | Walk to Mordor

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

...3 times!!! 

Awesomesauce! Hard work paying off!!!!

• Like 1

the year of living trippily

Final Boss, Part 2    Boss, Part 1  Previous:    Adult Content

Brain Weasels    Choose Your Own Adventure Woman of Mystery -   Worth i Simplicity     

Spoiler

Take it Outside II

Take it Outside

Even More Current: 52 Days

Currently Current: 100 Days

Current: Queen 2: Electric Boogaloo

Queen of the Jungle

THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE CHALLENGE

Apart six: Amazon  (part 5)

(part 3: The Wickening)

(part 2) (part 1)

Whoo hoo! Congrats!

• Like 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Ok, I actually only set up the YouAte app today, so that's going to be a weeks 2 & 3 activity. 

I haven't used it since around thanksgiving last year, and it's actually kind of fun to see all the pictures of things I was eating! ...also a lot of pictures of my jeans because I'd forget to take a picture before I ate, and the app requires you to enter a photo when you log something. :rolleyes:

It gave me some good inspiration for meals for next week, too. 

• Like 2

On 9/19/2019 at 6:38 PM, NeverThatBored said:

...3 times!!! 

DUDE THAT IS AMAZING!!!

source.gif 

How are things going this week?

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

18 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

DUDE THAT IS AMAZING!!!

source.gif 

How are things going this week?

I'm sick, so not a lot of there's going going on at the moment!

On 10/1/2019 at 3:09 PM, NeverThatBored said:

I'm sick, so not a lot of there's going going on at the moment!

Dang, look at me taking two weeks to get back to you!!  :P  How are you feeling now?

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

17 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

Dang, look at me taking two weeks to get back to you!!  :P  How are you feeling now?

Lol, and look at me not posting for 2 weeks! 

After being sick, I was away for a week visiting my parents for my mom's 60th birthday. Now I'm back but jet lagged and running around a lot. I keep meaning to actually come and post! D: 

• Like 2

Random updates! 

1. I'm participating in the Crossfit Open! I did the workouts last time, but this is my first time officially signed up. Some buddies and I decided that we would bring in treats every Friday to go with the workouts, so we're really making a party out of it! 

2. One Crossfit friend is away for a few days so I am feeding her cats for her. She messaged a couple of us and asked if someone could do it, and apparently it was funny that I responded in about 20 seconds?

They just don't understand...

Spoiler

3. I went to California last week for my mom's 60th birthday, and it was a lot of fun! I got to see a bunch of people and it was really nice to see her having such a great time~ 

I got super jet lagged when I got back (like the accidentally-falling-asleep-for-2.5-hours kind of jet lag), so I feel like I'm really only just over that today...just in time for the Crossfit Open workout. 

When I left here it was still warm most days, and now it's properly Fall. I feel like this happens every time I leave, even for just a week! 

4. I'm taking another round of Japanese classes, except this semester is super condensed and it's impossible to keep up with all the work! I keep getting stressed about it but I'm trying to remind myself that this is a voluntary hobby and I can only do what I can do. 

5. Challenge-y Stuff:

• Pullups have been so-so but for justifiable reasons - being sick to being in CA. This week I've done 1 so far partially because I forgot and partially because we ended up doing bar work in the workout on Friday so it would be a bad day to do pullups...if I end up going in tomorrow I can still get a second round in, but TBD.
  • I haven't been explicitly tracking mobility - I definitely do pre-WOD mobility from the GoWOD app at least 3x/week. I'd like to focus on additional stretching
  • I did YouAte tracking in Week 1 of the challenge and I felt like it was helpful...then the sick/CA double whammy hit so I've paused on that. I've got to do some thinking about what to do next with food for what's left of the challenge. 

Misc. To Dos: 

• Get my car inspected & put new registration on it 
  • Go through uke songs I know and (re)memorize some of them better
  • Return some clothes I bought online 
  • Drive somewhere for driving practice 
  • Like 4

Wow!!! That's a lot of good stuff happening! I'm sorry you got sick but I'm SO glad you got better in time to go to CA. And WOOT WOOT for the Crossfit Open!!! That's so exciting!!!  :D 

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

2021 Books in Progress:

2021 Books Completed:

More misc. updates..

1. Apparently some people at Crossfit the other day were talking about Pokemon, and CK was like "Is that that gotta catch 'em all thing? NTB plays that too! She has a bumper sticker on her car!" and then the people who were talking about it were like "Ooh, we should talk to her about it!" and I'm very amused. 

2. I'm debating whether I want to do a challenge next time - this one obviously didn't go very well and I'm honestly kind of surprised to find that it's over already?? I don't know how it's been so many weeks and this keeps happening with challenges lately. :/ 

3. I've been slowly doing some to do list stuff from my previous post:

• I called the car place and plan to take my car in for it's inspection on Friday (I guess I should probably take my bike out of the trunk first??)
  • I've packaged up the stuff I wanted to return to send out tomorrow
  • I played some uke

4. In other news, I forgot to mention that I finally broke my Headspace meditation streak when I was in California! It wasn't a busy night or anything - I just totally forgot somehow? I was at something like 1400 days (that's over 3 years!!). 

Honestly, I'm kind of...relieved? For literally 2 years I've been thinking I might not want to keep subscribing to Headspace, but I have this streak going so of course I've got to keep going?? It became more about checking the box that properly meditating, which didn't feel right either. So now I can either stop or just take the time to focus on quality rather than maintaining the streak over anything. And if I'm going to bed super late I don't have to stay up an extra few minutes to get a session in! I'm freeeeeeeeee

5. Thinking ahead to future challenges/goals...

• I got my first pullup but I want to keep working on it until I can do them consistently and at least string a few together....after that I might switch my focus back to dips or one of my other goal movements
  • I need to re-establish some sort of mobility practice. I used to do 3 yoga videos a week without trying - that was a LOW mobility week for me. Now I'm lucky if I do one every few weeks. IDK if that means signing up for a real class to go to or just picking out some videos in advance or what. I need to think about it more.
  • My walking habit has also really died off - I think it might be beneficial to just focus on getting outside and relaxing over explicitly walking to reignite the habit. My shins have also been getting worse rather than better, even though I'm not running, so I should probably see someone about that. 

I was also thinking about how in 2016 my big accomplishment was that I worked out 3x every single week & ran once nearly every single week as well, and then in 2017-2018 I was struggling to get that back. I'm at the point where I consistently do Crossfit 5x every week, and it just occurred to me that I've gotten back to - and surpassed it - without even realizing it. And that's awesome and I should be really proud of that! 

I guess my question is just...what next? I guess nailing down the three things above and figuring out food is where I should focus. And non-fitness stuff, particularly job stuff. And driving/navigating confidence. I'd also love to run again if I can get my shins to cooperate. And getting more comfortable on a bike, and swimming. #rangerbrain 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You’ve got a lot of good stuff going on. There’s nothing wrong with maintaining that. May I suggest an unchallenge? Keep doing what you’re doing and treat the challenge thread like a battle log.

Good call - I was thinking about a battle log, but an unchallenge sounds even better. 

• Like 1

Posting here until I create a new challenge thread. 

I had a job interview 10 days ago and found out today I didn't get the job. I'm actually pretty bummed about it. :/ I wasn't even that excited about the job itself, but I was looking forward to finally making a change, you know? And my old manager who works at that company now referred me to the position, and they even went out of their way to tell her when they posted it so she could refer me in the system - so I thought my chances were really good! Makes you wonder. 

Unrelated, I am baking a cake. It's for my boyfriend's birthday and not related to the job stuff, but having a delicious homemade birthday cake around right now seems extra dangerous! And tomorrow is the Crossfit Open workout, where we are also having pumpkin roll cake for our ongoing weekly party. 

Ok, posted a new thread here: