The Villain Returns... With GIF's!

V for Vetinari

Hi y'all! I was on these forums 3 years ago, and I'm jumping back in to increase my strength and flexibility. Hiking has become my primary exercise ever since I moved to a city with many accessible trails. It's great, even if sometimes I feel like I'm dragging myself along.

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611031a1aa1590e3ac5b1

I've lost a little weight this year, but my core and upper body strength are lacking. I was an assassin last time, hence the Vetinari name. I was doing urban parkour in order to get on American Ninja Warrior. Oh hahaha. That is not happening, and of course it was never going to happen, and trying to work on grip strength isn't super useful anyway. Now I just want to stave off the effects of mid-30's deterioration so I can remain badass for decades to come.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116889a9bd5f6ae6d72f

Goals

1. Diet: Avoid the free delicious carbs that are on offer 2x a week. No moderation possible here, I need to not bring them home in the first place.
  2. Fitness 1: Do the beginner bodyweight exercise 2x a week. ***I need to find a milk jug or something for the rows.***
    1. Stretch goal: 3x a week.
  3. Fitness 2: Do yoga 1x a week.
    1. Stretch goal: 2x a week.
  4. Fitness 3: Stretch after hikes/bodyweight exercises, even if it's only for a few minutes.
    1. Stretch goal: full advanced stretching routine.
  5. Life: FLOSS EVERY DAY. My old threads are filled with so much floss angst, it's amazing. Somehow I still haven't gotten this down.

My Baseline: walk/hike/bike for 90+ minutes every day. I usually manage this, but I haven't dealt with rainy season yet. One reason I want to incorporate more bodyweight/yoga is to have indoor options when I don't feel like hiking in the rain.

Plus I want to look as cool as this doggie:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611ec02243f5e54dc502b

• Like 7

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Welcome back @V for Vetinari. I don't think we've met because I've been a member for a little less than three years, but welcome to the Adventurers! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Embraces His Wild Poet

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

11 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Welcome to the Adventurers!

Thank you Ann! It's good to be here.

6 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

Welcome back @V for Vetinari. I don't think we've met because I've been a member for a little less than three years, but welcome to the Adventurers! Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks Wolf! It's a good thing I like meeting new people, because I can't imagine many folks from back then are still around.

Day 1:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cff1e68c4debcea92d

Did 3 circuits of the bodyweight exercises, stretched, and flossed. I would have done zero of these things if I hadn't made it a public goal. I found a gallon jug for the rows, and I'm going to keep looking for heavier options.

I won't have time for a hike today, so the plan is bike to my errands, then go for a walk and do yoga before I go out for the night. No big deal if I need to push yoga to Sunday.

• Like 3

"Those who shun the whimsy of things will experience rigor mortis before death."

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

I use cat litter tubs and fill them with water, but those might be a little bulkier than you're looking for. I have cats, and the litter tubs are just handy to fill up and keep around the yard for when I'm in the mood to lift something. They're great for curls, rows, or farmer carries.

• Like 3

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

2 hours ago, WolfDreamer said:

I use cat litter tubs and fill them with water, but those might be a little bulkier than you're looking for. I have cats, and the litter tubs are just handy to fill up and keep around the yard for when I'm in the mood to lift something. They're great for curls, rows, or farmer carries.

I also use cat litter tubs and they’re fantastic for carries and homemade stuff. 

Also following. 

• Like 3

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Hi @Sciread77 and @Snarkyfishguts!

Sadly I'm allergic to cats, so no buckets o' litter. I asked one of my cat friends, and hers comes in a bag. It's a good idea, though. If I think of other places I can get an empty tub, I'll try it out.

Stumbled on the diet challenge - I brought home free bread. I haven't eaten it, though! I was going to make avocado toast for a potluck, but I'm skipping the event. Now I need to find someone to pawn it off on. Maybe craft some doggie helmets?

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a51bfb429af21923dc

I also rebelled hard on my baseline diet goal, which is to track CICO and try to get a deficit every day. WELL. I discovered last night that every calculator telling you how many calories you burn per hour doing X is a BIG FAT LIE. I thought I was burning 75 calories per mile, but really 30 of those calories would be burned if I sat on my butt and did nothing. WHAT IS THIS. I assumed those calculators were saying "these are the extra calories you burn doing X." Now I'm gonna end up with 150-200 fewer calories to eat every day. I liked those calories. I liked eating them.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76116121cd84cdcff9f4fc

My mature reaction was to eat over a thousand calories at lunch without being all that hungry. There is a strong urge to say F IT and eat all the food. For now, I'm not going to try to lose weight. I'll go for maintenance instead, to get rid of my intense urge to throw it all down the drain. Ended up at about par yesterday, but I was resentful as all get out that my 6 miles walked didn't get me more credit.

Day 2:

Diet: Danger zone, brought home bread but can still get rid of it.

Fitness 1: N/A, recover day

Fitness 2: Did not do yoga, need to do today or tomorrow

Fitness 3: Stretched, very basic

Life: Did not floss, I was too tired after my midnight walk

YIKES. Not my best day. Ideas for flossing: do it before any big nighttime activities, when I still have energy. Or... that's it, that's my only idea. I don't wanna be a henchman, but flossing is so boring. Maybe I don't have to do it at night? It's better than in the morning, according to an old dental hygienist, but morning is better than not at all.

• Like 3

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

I floss, once in the evening, as I'm winding down for bed, while watching "TV"... basically, I take care of it while I'm doing something else that's not boring.

• Like 1

Level 3, Rebel

Currtent Challenge
Previously known as: Curl Brogo, Darwins_Demon, Vincent Van Bro

2020 Respawn Battle Log || Tarly's Ten Level Nutrition Plan

My Fitness Pal Profile || NF Epic Quest Character Page || Instagram

Weight Loss Quest: Start 270 lbs., Goal 199 lbs., Current 270 lbs., Waist: ,45.0 in., Bodyfat%: 33%

@Curl Brogo - gah, I usually do that, but lately I've been eating during that time, and I tell myself I'll be awake enough to brush and floss after I eat. Then I fall asleep.

Day 3:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761161cada40de00437497

Diet: Ehhh I'm eating some of the bread but a normal amount. Pastries are the real danger, and I don't have any.

Fitness 1: N/A.

Fitness 2: Did yoga! This routine. I have lost so much flexibility. Hmph. It's almost like not stretching for ten years makes you less flexible.

Fitness 2: Did yoga on day 4.

Fitness 3: Stretched, very basic.

Life: Flossed!

• Like 1

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Welcome back, and welcome to our crazy #adventurerlife :) 

On 9/21/2019 at 8:00 PM, V for Vetinari said:

flossing is so boring. Maybe I don't have to do it at night? It's better than in the morning, according to an old dental hygienist, but morning is better than not at all.

Well, some is definitely better than none. When do you brush your teeth? It wasn't until I made flossing the first step in brushing my teeth that I ever managed to work it into a habit -- now they go together and I never miss it unless I miss brushing (and if that happens it's generally because I have bigger problems than remembering to floss). 

hröa Periano, sanar Eldaro, fëa Núnatano

(body of a Hobbit, mind of an Elf, soul of a Dúnadan)

Memories of a former Age [ 1 |  2 ]  ~  Return from Mandos [ respawn ]

Recent sojourns in Middle-earth [ 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 ]

[ Current: The Red Book ]   ~   [ Tracking spreadsheet ]   ~   [ Instagram ]

The warrior and the artist live by the same code of necessity, which dictates that the battle must be fought anew every day.  ~ Steven Pressfield, The War of Art

Thanks for the welcome @oromendur! I brush my teeth pretty late at night, since I'm prone to late dinners/snacking. I actually tried brushing my teeth earlier recently, and ended up having to brush again since I still ate. Sometimes I do fall asleep without brushing, but that happens less often. Maybe I can try flossing before I brush, I always assume that's less effective/more time-consuming since my toothbrush gets some of the easier stuff out of the way.

Day 4 (or Day 3? When is it? Where am I?):

giphy.gif?cid=790b76118fb0a912d9629a8d82

Diet: Still eh. There's some bread happening. I've got two events tomorrow that I can bring the rest of the loaf to.

Fitness 1: N/A.

Fitness 2: Did yoga!

Fitness 3: Stretched, veeeery basic, but post-hike yoga also counts.

Life: Did not floss. Flossing this morning.

I think I mixed up my days. I did yoga yesterday, day 4, but counted it under day 3. Regardless, I've hit my 1x/wk goal. I might try bodyweight and yoga today, since I'm burned out on hiking. I found a half-full 5-gallon jug of water, so there's my 20-pound weight for rows!

Non-challenge: I got a scale and am going to weigh myself daily. Today is 136.2 (before eating). I was 144 (after eating) at the doctor's office two months ago. I'm not trusting an 8 lb difference. Scales can be calibrated differently, I don't know if the 144 accounted for my clothing, and there's the before/after eating difference. There's clearly been some loss, but I don't see how it could be almost a pound a week. With a consistent scale and weigh-in time, I'll be able to trust the trend.

ETA: I'm pleased with mid-130's! I've bounced between 130's and up to maybe 160 at my high point, so this is near my lower range. Even if I'm only losing 1-2 pounds a month, I'll be lighter than I've ever been as an adult within a year. I'm happy with how my body looks now, too. I don't want to place too much value on being thinner, but childhood messages die hard.

• Like 2

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

12 minutes ago, V for Vetinari said:

Sometimes I do fall asleep without brushing, but that happens less often. Maybe I can try flossing before I brush, I always assume that's less effective/more time-consuming since my toothbrush gets some of the easier stuff out of the way.

First off - welcome! I'll be following along, because that's what I do.

Secondly, I floss first and brush secondly. There have been some studies that show it doesn't really matter, but that they also do two different jobs (i.e. the things that brushing hits aren't usually thing things flossing hits). There was a study done in 2018 that shows that flossing first is more beneficial (link to overview here). BUT I actually use prescription toothpaste and am required to floss first (because I'm not supposed to do anything to disrupt the additional fluoride from the toothpaste after use). 

• Like 1

Thanks for the welcome and info @Sylvaa! My electric toothpaste seems to get between my teeth better than my old one, but good to know flossing first can be good! I might need to get flouride toothpaste too, actually. I moved to a state without flouridated water recently.

• Like 3

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

I have a similar bad habit of going to bed without brushing. I remember to brush in the morning, but my evenings are busy, and I'm often doing schoolwork until it's time to crash. By then I'm too tired to think about anything other than bed.

• Like 2

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

I also am allergic to cats. And dogs. I take Allegra twice a day. 

42 minutes ago, V for Vetinari said:

Thanks for the welcome and info @Sylvaa! My electric toothpaste seems to get between my teeth better than my old one, but good to know flossing first can be good! I might need to get flouride toothpaste too, actually. I moved to a state without flouridated water recently.

I have the super fluoride toothpaste and Sensodyne. And floss religiously. And still get cavities, these days from the deaths of old fillings. 

• Like 2

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Allergic to both! Gah. That's commitment. I would collapse in a puddle of tears and hopelessness if I was allergic to dogs too.

I had a dentist visit and got flouride toothpaste and a recommendation for a WaterPik. As if my dental routine wasn't already time-consuming. But she said I can floss whenever, which has made it much more likely that I will floss!

Today (Day Whatever)

Did bodyweight routine, felt creaky and old, could've use a cat to keep my spirits up:

giphy.gif?cid=790b761122b78048d079c41eb2

Did yoga, am annoyed that this dog is more flexible than I am:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611cae621d961bbf61c76

I've been getting moderate walking and biking, and I've somehow lost more weight. This morning was 134.0, which is a 2 lb drop in 5 days. It must be natural fluctuation, since I have not been fasting or exercising like crazy. I did avoid candy and free desserts at the last free food opportunity. (Edit: at the last two events! Forgot to take credit for Thursday.)

Progress so far (haven't stretched yet - yoga focused on upper body, but about to stretch lower half, then I'll floss before going out for the night):

image.png.1fe3519bae9b9dbbb792e3828f0cb03b.png

• Like 3

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge

Oops.

giphy.gif?cid=790b761183263d9ce4028fb1d1

At least the dog tried. I spent a week telling myself I would do yoga/strength training, but there was always something more fun (or lazy) to do. I got back on track this weekend with bodyweight Saturday and yoga yesterday. Have a low key day planned today, so will do both.

Saturday was a big victory, actually. I was tired and low-key sick, and didn't get going until late at night after a nap. As I was getting dressed, a friend asked if they could come over. I held them off for a couple hours so I could still do the exercise, stretch, and floss.

image.png.bec37c5e50c5d5651d53ca046b8a6c7f.png

My weight is at 133.2, so continuing a slow drop. I'm feeling conflicted about the prospect of losing more weight, weirdly enough. I just gathered a bunch of new clothes from various secondhand sources. If I get smaller, they won't fit! Good problem to have. There's so much free clothing in this city that it won't cost me money, only time.

• Like 1

Tom Robbins

Current Challenge