• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

karinajean

karinajean is a day late and a dollar short

HELLO OLD FRIENDS. HELLO NEW FRIENDS.

it's been ages since I've been here.

And I was so excited to start this challenge and then halfway through last week I was in the car or something and realized *F-BOMB* I FORGOT TO SET UP MY CHALLENGE! and then I forgot again. so, it's a 4 week challenge for me, I guess.

HI.

I'm trying to get things back in order. I've gained weight over the last 1 1/2 years and while some of it is muscle, some of it probably isn't. I'm still hecka busy at work, still hecka busy with my family and supporting my dad as he goes through some Big Health Things, and now I'm additionally hecka busy because I accidentally started / joined a community action group to focus on updating the comprehensive plan so we can have smart development in my little town.

BUT, I need to do some things. So, here's the situation:

* My parents went away on a weeks vacation. (no wait that's a different story)

* My former crossfit coach (the one who TRICKED ME into doing crossfit) got a full-time dream job as a kids PE teacher and stopped classes. So, I didn't really do anything in August at all except TKD.

* I found a crossfit class super close to my office, and signed up for that. They have a BIG ON RAMP / introductory jam, so I did 2-weeks of on-ramp one-on-one classes and this week went to my first full class.

* I also bought a big package, including an 8-week nutrition package. We'll see how this goes, I had been thinking about getting some nutritional consults/counseling before, and this is kind of all-in.

GOALS: overall, I need to get back in the habit of exercising frequently and paying attention to what I eat. Oh and also sleeping so I can be not-a-zombie.

Goal 1. Calendar and attend classes. write down what I'm going to do and then do it. This is important because I have to drive for 45 min. to get to cross-fit, and to do the 630AM class it's a little strugglebus.

Goal 2. Track food, somehow. (I have a sheet of paper for 3 days this week, but I also still have an app on my phone).

Goal 3. GET SLEEP. I've been super bad at getting to bed early early like I need to since my 5AM crossfit classes were cancelled and I could sleep in until 6 or 630.

that should do it for a late reentry. yeah? yeah.

backstory. I'm karinajean, 42, live in NY, commute to NJ about an hour each way where I manage projects and clean up hazardous waste. I joined the NFA in October 2013 and transitioned over to the big scary boards (ahem, these forums) in April 2014. Since I discovered NR, I've lost about 25 lbs, tore my ACL / had it replaced with a cadaver ligament and rehabbed it, ran a bunch of running things, took over instruction for a class at the dojo, started with some weight lifting, accidentally joined cross-fit, and have gained back all the weight I lost. CURRENTLY I practice tae kwon do several times a week, take weapons and boxing classes in addition, and have a long-time overarching fitness goal of doing good form push- and pull-ups.

cast of characters. Ella Olga Babygoat Torturekitty Murderclaws Tip Grundzilla - cat, sweet yet bites all the time, possibly an ensorcelled fae creature because that would actually explain her attitude best. // Twenty and Sixteen - stepdudes. One is at college and the other at home and with us 1/2 time. // Husband - or partner, or whatever. I live with him too.

• Like 2

HI HI HI!

Week 2

Goal 1

here are my plans for this week:

M - crossfit am // planning board meeting pm (late night) [[CHECK, completed]]

T - GOING TO THE LIZZO CONCERT, PEACHES!!! (late night)

W - personal training session? I got a fancy intro package at the crossfit gym and I have a bunch of these 30 minute sessions to use up. I'm not sure what they entail.

TH - I'm riding a motorcycle with 25 other women from Fishkill NY to Columbus OH as part of the Women Rider's World Relay. It's exciting, and a big deal, and I'm excited to do it, but it's going to be a SUPER long ride and I'm a little nervous because NEW and STRANGERS but honestly so excited to be part of this.

all that said, I can't really do much exercise Th-Su because I'll be on the bike heading out to OH and then coming home again.

Goal 2

have successfully filled out piece of paper to track food for 1 1/2 days. kind of love the pen/paper process. not sure if it's long-term sustainable, should probably get back into using LoseIt.

Goal 3

per Goal 1 calendaring, was out late last night and totally crashed at 11PM while my husband was mid-sentence. up at 6 so not terrible, at least. Running late already for today but whatever I guess? did I mention LIZZO TONIGHT?!

7 minutes ago, karinajean said:

T - GOING TO THE LIZZO CONCERT, PEACHES!!! (late night)

AHHH! HAVE FUN! 

7 minutes ago, karinajean said:

W - personal training session? I got a fancy intro package at the crossfit gym and I have a bunch of these 30 minute sessions to use up. I'm not sure what they entail.

TH - I'm riding a motorcycle with 25 other women from Fishkill NY to Columbus OH as part of the Women Rider's World Relay. It's exciting, and a big deal, and I'm excited to do it, but it's going to be a SUPER long ride and I'm a little nervous because NEW and STRANGERS but honestly so excited to be part of this.

all that said, I can't really do much exercise Th-Su because I'll be on the bike heading out to OH and then coming home again.

You ARE DOING IT. :D:D

What a week ahead!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, raptron said:

AHHH! HAVE FUN! 

You ARE DOING IT. :D:D

What a week ahead!

I KNOW this feels like my best life except for the part where I'm a little nervous and tired already but WHATEVER  it will be amazing!!!

Hi hi hi!!! It's been ages, KJ! (Partly on me) But guess what?? I have 1) found Lizzo's music on spotify and love love love her (gonna live vicariously through you with that concert - rock out hard to "Soulmate" for me!) and 2) Started looking at local crossfit stuff because I've been feeling lonely just doing workouts solo and talking to no one.

Excited to cheer you on in re-entry!

7 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Hi hi hi!!! It's been ages, KJ! (Partly on me) But guess what?? I have 1) found Lizzo's music on spotify and love love love her (gonna live vicariously through you with that concert - rock out hard to "Soulmate" for me!) and 2) Started looking at local crossfit stuff because I've been feeling lonely just doing workouts solo and talking to no one.

Excited to cheer you on in re-entry!

lolz no way dude it's entirely on me.I haven't been here in months! I'm happy to see you!

I brought my sequin pants to work to wear to lizzo to night. I know she'll spot me in the crowd and appreciate it. I'M CERTAIN.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, karinajean said:

lolz no way dude it's entirely on me.I haven't been here in months! I'm happy to see you!

Haha we'll share credit, then! I disappeared for most of the past couple months as well.

3 minutes ago, karinajean said:

I brought my sequin pants to work to wear to lizzo to night. I know she'll spot me in the crowd and appreciate it. I'M CERTAIN.

YES YES YES!!!

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 12:51 AM, karinajean said:

So, here's the situation:

* My parents went away on a weeks vacation. (no wait that's a different story)

This literally made me lough out loud :D 

Oh, and HI!

• Like 1

HIIIII FROM OHIO!

ok first things first Lizzo is a hero and we must protect her. What a freakin PERFORMER. if you get the chance to see her bring earplugs for the crowd noise alone!!!

9c3bb12875326bb82bd03bff57575321.jpg

e96da115bb91577ed20915c4ddba8d26.jpg

Oh next. I did go to personal training on Wednesday. It was fine, truly just a one-on-one 39 min programmed workout.

Ok Ohio! All at once now:
I rode over 600 miles yesterday and it poured for an hour and I learned my boots are no longer waterproofed adequately and my hands got sore but not hurt from squeezing the throttle. We were hosted dinner by the local Indian Motorcycle dealer and got to the group motel to learn that per my fears it truly was a trashsaster bugfest. I had read reviews online and booked a room in the slightly better reviewed motel adjacent, and there were enough rooms for most of the group to come over to my motel (we all doubled up, and I invited another couple of women to stay w me), we had motel stoop beers, and retired in relative comfort.

c6a60aed213cb733c55de5ac5413ced7.jpg

I need to write down the weird food I’ve eaten today... I didn’t really think through what that means so I’m just going to start using loseit.

I’m so glad I did this trip, friends. I was nervous about a lot of stuff (my ability to ride this long/far at once, meeting new people) and everything has been great.

• Like 3

Ahhh so cool! So glad you did the trip and had a great time!

Dumb question, but do you also ride back?

Not a dumb question! The answer is yes. I’m going to do it in 2 days, not 1, tho.
  • Like 3

HI FRIENDS

ORDER OF IMPORTANCE:

my motorcycle trip was freakin AMAZING and I'm so glad I did it.

Legit, I know I"m pretty good at making friends on the internet (HI FRIENDS) and a lot of that is because I'm pretty good at selecting amazing communities (HI AMAZING COMMUNITY) but I was not sure exactly what I was getting into with this group of women riders and I can't even tell you how thrilled I was to figure out that they were an amazing community and shared so many of the same values that I hold important - seeing women succeed, boosting women, riding motorcycles... it was INCREDIBLE.

OK that said, week 2 recap.

goal 2. road food is not the best food. it went like this:

Thursday - protein shake, proteiny granola bar, chili with crackers, two weird tortilla roll-ups with cheese and meat inside from a gas station, a small piece of a subway sandwich, a piece of pizza, a beer.

Friday - waffle house! but eggs, hashbrowns, biscuits and gravy, not a waffle. french fries with brisket on top. 3 delicious food truck tacos. a beer.

Saturday - waffle house! eggs and hashbrowns again. a HUGE steak salad, and a pork and rice cake dish from blue apron for dinner (I stayed with my friend in PGH on the way home). a beer. 1/2 a bottle of wine.

Sunday - LOTS of scrambled eggs. weird crackers from trader joes made out of cheese. beef jerky and a chocolate bar. chocolate wafer cookies. then I was home, and we had kale quesadillas for dinner. and! an ice cream sandwich.

I'm not angry that in my world I'm either having a beer or an ice cream sandwich with dinner. I think that's good moderation. I also think this is probably a reason my weight has been static at this point DESPITE the exercising I do.

goal 1 - no classes for the end of the week but I knew that.

goal 3 - I did pretty ok at the sleeping, considering I was on the road?

• Like 4

week 3!

goal 1 - classes: based on being pooped, I plan to attend classes on T, W, and F. Monday is for not getting up early because I'm tired and also so sore. Thursday is for field day.

so far.... I went to class on tuesday (we started with a 400 m run and ended with an 800 m run and it really reminded me that I haven't run in FOREVER) and this morning (basically, a boatload [NO PUN INTENDED] of rowing, interspersed with sandbag holds). I've been at the office for 1 1/2 hours and my legs have already told me that they're done forever. they are deceased.

goal 2 - food: I haven't been writing things down very well but will restart that today.

goal 3 - sleep: not doing so hot on this one friends! getting a little better at getting into bed at 10, but that's still not early enough. slow incremental improvement, tho, hopefully.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, karinajean said:

goal 3 - sleep: not doing so hot on this one friends! getting a little better at getting into bed at 10, but that's still not early enough. slow incremental improvement, tho, hopefully.

INCREMENTAL GOOD!

So so so so glad you found that your amazing community IS actually an amazing community. :D

I'm so happy you had such an amazing road trip experience! It's rad you found a bunch of awesome women to hang out with.

• Like 1

HI FRIENDS.

so, this last week has not been the greatest of all time?

lemme catch up:

week 3

goal 1 - classes: I went to class on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday. I didn't actually go the field on Thursday but that's ok. I also did have TKD on Tu and Th. Also I taught on Saturday.

goal 2 - food: um yeah, didn't write anything down.

goal 3 - sleep: i didn't do TOOOO terribly. early week (M-W) I had very poor bedtime maintenance. I did better on thursday, and then the weekend I got reasonable sleep b/c I could sleep in a little longer. INCREMENTAL. maaaaybe.

so the thing that wasn't the greatest of all time - my dad has been in the hospital again - catch up and details in the spoiler.

Spoiler

just to catch y'all up, he had a heart transplant in January, was in the hospital for about 3-4 months recovering and finding the right mix of anti-rejection drugs for him, and then he also got pneumonia in the hospital, and then after that he was in rehab for a while trying to get his strength back after so long in a hospital bed. while he was in the hospital bed for so long, he developed wounds on his feet that didn't heal - he's diabetic, and his circulation is further compromised by the anti-rejection drugs. In August he a below-the-knee amputation of his right leg. last week we learned about his further circulation issues on his left foot, and then on Friday he and his medical team decided to move forward with an amputation of the left leg as well, to avoid any infection impacting his new heart.

this feels like a really hard thing to come back from. I'm scared and sad, and trying not to think too hard about the challenges in the future. At the same time he is so determined, and we are all behind him, and we have a lot of smarts and resources to support him in this time. it's just a LOT.

and the backdrop of all of this is that his most consistent care is in Boston, while the rest of us are 2 hours (my stepmom, brother, and older stepsister) or 3 1/2 hours (me) away.

Thank goodness for the Mercy Thompson books - I just ordered the whole series (used) because it's been FOREVER since I read them, and I wanted my husband to read them, and since hearing the news on Friday I've finished 5 of the books in pure escapism and self-care.

on Saturday my stepmom asked if I could extend my planned sunday day trip into monday, because he was on standby for surgery on monday and she needed to go home. So of course I did, and they DID do the surgery, and I stayed until he was settled and it seemed like his pain management was headed in the right direction before driving home. He kicked me out 3x and I finally left, getting home exhausted at around 1130.

All of this is preface for

week 4,

wherein I was in boston on monday am so no classes, was too tired on tuesday am for classes, and will be flying to denver for work W-F so no classes. Sorry, Goal 1, you're out of luck.

I guess I'll try to do better with goals 2 and 3 then?

OH, last week I did have my nutrition counseling through the crossfit peeps. The most eye opening thing is that I truly am over-committed - I am on the go for about 80 hours a week. my food is on the right track but for the few days I seriously tracked I ate a LOT of office snacks. that's the thing that happens, right? you think you're doing great, but you don't realize the impact of the grazing? so yeah, I have to work on that a little.

ok peaches, I've got a little more work to do. I'm sorry I haven't found all y'all's threads and followed back! at this stage I'm just trying not to get a cold because then I can't go visit daddy-o on sunday next weekend in boston. <3

• Like 2

so the thing that wasn't the greatest of all time - my dad has been in the hospital again - catch up and details in the spoiler.

on Saturday my stepmom asked if I could extend my planned sunday day trip into monday, because he was on standby for surgery on monday and she needed to go home. So of course I did, and they DID do the surgery, and I stayed until he was settled and it seemed like his pain management was headed in the right direction before driving home. He kicked me out 3x and I finally left, getting home exhausted at around 1130.EVERY HUG IMAGINABLE.

EVERY HUG IMAGINABLE.

OH, last week I did have my nutrition counseling through the crossfit peeps. The most eye opening thing is that I truly am over-committed - I am on the go for about 80 hours a week.

Eye-opening to maybe only you! 

my food is on the right track but for the few days I seriously tracked I ate a LOT of office snacks. that's the thing that happens, right? you think you're doing great, but you don't realize the impact of the grazing? so yeah, I have to work on that a little.

Maybe, I feel like you have a lot of other stuff going on thouuuugh.

ok peaches, I've got a little more work to do. I'm sorry I haven't found all y'all's threads and followed back! at this stage I'm just trying not to get a cold because then I can't go visit daddy-o on sunday next weekend in boston. <3

Get lots of sleep where you can! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, karinajean said:

The most eye opening thing is that I truly am over-committed - I am on the go for about 80 hours a week.

Hahaha did you really think we were just making it up? :P 

I'm so so sorry about your dad. All the hugs. Take care of yourself!

• Like 1

KJ!

1) I'm truly sorry to hear about your dad - that's a really tough situation and I'm glad you're able to help out where you can.

2) I'm SO glad your trip was great and felt like you connected to a really great community!

3) Makes total sense that you'd have lots of snacking - maybe there's a way to accommodate your on-the-go lifestyle with slightly healthier eating, if and only if you want to?

4) Take care of yourself, friend. You've got a lot on your plate, but you've also got a lot of friends (including ME) cheering you on!

• Like 1