Got off track and feeling bad about myself

I’m feeling pretty discouraged right now. I’m in a state of transition now and extremely busy and have been for a month. Lately I haven’t been as good as usual with my eating habits, slightly going over my calorie limits and not working out. The past five days I’ve had a cheat meal once a day when normally I have one once a week. I feel myself fattening up and it’s really depressing. In the past nine months I’ve made so much progress and I feel like I’m totally undoing it in the matter of a few days. Every day I keep telling myself I’m going to get back on track but I’m moving and I’m busy and it’s so hard to find time to cook. Stress is causing me to overeat and eat a ton of carbs and sugar I normally wouldn’t. Other than pure discipline what is your advice for getting back on track and feeling good about my body again before I go down a spiral and it just gets worse?

I’m feeling pretty discouraged right now. I’m in a state of transition now and extremely busy and have been for a month. Lately I haven’t been as good as usual with my eating habits, slightly going over my calorie limits and not working out. The past five days I’ve had a cheat meal once a day when normally I have one once a week. I feel myself fattening up and it’s really depressing. In the past nine months I’ve made so much progress and I feel like I’m totally undoing it in the matter of a few days. Every day I keep telling myself I’m going to get back on track but I’m moving and I’m busy and it’s so hard to find time to cook. Stress is causing me to overeat and eat a ton of carbs and sugar I normally wouldn’t. Other than pure discipline what is your advice for getting back on track and feeling good about my body again before I go down a spiral and it just gets worse?

I'm just in a similar situation. Moved in Sunday, now have to unpack while some works are still going on.
Don't be discouraged! You can't be undoing months in few days, this fat will go off faster.
Can you batch cook at the weekend? Can you set a minimum of protein and/or vegetables per day? Can you do one small exercise a day (yesterday I was surprised that I did get many steps bringing boxes upstairs. My muscles nearly gave up, so don't underestimate that]
I find that having carrots baton around help for the stress eat because they are crunchy.
Is there anything you can do to reduce the stress?
Good luck and let us know!

Best thing you can do right now is to just take a breath, and give yourself permission to take some space. Some of the 'puff' you're noticing is likely just water retention - not fat. In terms of getting back on track, I'd recommend focusing on your stress management techniques - sleep quality & quantity, mediation, gratitude journaling, yoga, walking outside, taking a few moments for yourself throughout the day, visit with friends, etc. You can also try to stock up the house with nutritious options, even a 'splurge' meal could just be a bigger version of the healthy stuff you enjoy. Finally, either a vision board or something similar, where you sit down and write out your goals, and how your actions will help get you there could help - just as a gentle reminder to yourself why 'cheat meals' are a good tool to use in the process, but probably don't contribute to your long-term goals if used too much. Moderation in all things, and all that jazz. ;)

Be kind to yourself!

• Like 2

I know that feeling, but I can tell you for a fact, that no you won't lose all your progress in days. You have built up good habits. If you are having one cheat meal a day, that means the other two are more on target.

Stores usually have a lot of  foods that are healthy that are preassembled. There are salad mixes, cut up veggies, frozen veggies, turkey burgers, deli meat. Buy some food that is healthy and also very low prep. Or, if you have money, look into a meal prep service.Also it doesn't have to be all or nothing. If you feel like having some cookies, have some, but keep it to a reasonable amount.

17 hours ago, blue5927 said:

I’m feeling pretty discouraged right now. I’m in a state of transition now and extremely busy and have been for a month.

When I am going through stressful things, my nerds usually encourage me to take care of myself. But of course, we also want to keep working on our health and good habits when disruptive patches come along if possible. So, is there any sport you can do or easy, healthful meals you can make that feel rewarding and are self-caring as well as serving your goals? If not, and if everything healthful truly feels too hard, then maybe you have to prioritise your emotional and mental health for a bit instead, and get back to the sport and cooking as soon as things settle down?

• Like 1

Don't beat yourself up over it. It is harder said than done, I know. When I get off track, I try to pick up from where I left off. If you can't do that because of stress and life is happening, then ease back into it. Instead of eating clean the whole week, try 2-3 days a week first.

Instead of trying to do everything (good eating habits AND working out), how about just focus on your eating habits first and give the gym a break until you are back on track mentally and emotionally. Prioritize getting enough rest/sleep and eating well first because working out can be stressful for your body when it is already stressed out. Once you are in better shape emotionally and mentally, and slowly add workout days into your routine. Working out does help with your mood. Take just it a step at a time and don't worry about doing everything right at once.