,Hi Everbody!

My name is Quirky Quinn (honestly) and I am looking for a new place to hang out and discuss my (and others) continuing journey to health, happiness and all the other good stuff.  I've been lurking around the forum for few days after stumbling across the website whilst looking for some inspiration.  You all seem like a friendly bunch so I thought I'd jump in!.

I am a 34 year old man, living on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales in the UK.  I am happily married and have a beautiful Daughter who just started school this term.  I am an accountant by trade and currently work as a Finance Director for the UK division of a Finnish company.  Which means occasional trips to one of my favourite cities in the world, Helsinki. 

I love team sports and have dabbled in far too many over the years including cricket and Gaelic football, but my main love is for football which I still (attempt) to play for my local team every weekend.  I love the commaradrie that comes with being a part of the whole.  And for me there is no better feeling than coming off the field on a Saturday afternoon and celebrating a win with my team mates!

I also love to ramble/walk/hike, this is more of a solitary thing for me.   I love the countryside and the feeling of accomplishment I get from reaching the trig point at the top of a hill (I refuse to call any UK hill a mountain) are out of this world .. and the views, oh the views!  If I have an afternoon to myself I will often disapeer off into the dales and walk up a hill, at my own pace, with my own thoughts and enjoy the view.

Away from fitness/outdoorsy stuff,  I love to consume all the content!  I listen to audiobooks pretty much none stop on my commute, and whilst doing housework and whilst walking to Fantasy books.  At the moment I am listening to the new Joe Abercrombie book becuase, Glokta.  And my favourite authors are Anthony Ryan, Robin Hobb, Terry Mancour, Brandon Sanderson and all the genre classics you'd expect like Tolkien, GRRM, Terry Prachett etc.  I also love a good film/tv series (who doesn't) and I am currently loving Succession.  If and when I read actual pages it is usually some kind of book related to work/leadership/being productive  a few of the best ones I've read recently are Drew Dudley; Day One Leadership, Kim Scott; Radical Candor and Simon Sinek; Start With Why.  Also getting a special mention is Sam Walker; The Captain Class.  Finally I love to play RPG computer games, all the usual suspects; Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Witcher.  But not multiplayer- never multiplayer!

Writing all that down makes me think things aren't all that bad in the world.  I have things pretty good, and I consider myself very fortunate for what I have.  I do have struggles.  I'm 6foot2 currently weigh 276lbs (19s10 for the sensible people) and that is after I have knocked off 15lbs over the last month.  I have some serious control issues with a lot of areas of my life - I struggle with moderation. Food, excercise, games, alcohol.  I'm either all in or out.  Hence I go through stages, I will be healthy for a period and then crash or I will not drink for a month and then binge through 12 pints in one night or I will not play computer for 3 months then spend 10 hours a day playing non stop! 

I don't really know where it comes from but I do know I don't want it to happen this time!  I'm now a month into a really healthy cycle for me, I'm feeling really good and I'm positive about where I am, but I must prevent the fall!  That's where the forum comes in.  I hope you guys become a sounding board for me.  Make me accountable and don't let me drop off the cliff again!  Once we get past the current 5 week window I will post up a first challenge and hope that allows me to commit with some clear goals to the next level.

Apologies for rambling, the spelling and the excessive & inaccurate use of punctuation.  Thanks for reading!

• Like 3

It's great that you already have a couple of exercise/sport options that you love. That's a huge part of health, in my view.

2 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Finally I love to play RPG computer games, all the usual suspects; Elder Scrolls, Fallout

Yesss

But not multiplayer- never multiplayer!

No, indeed.

I'm 6foot2 currently weigh 276lbs (19s10 for the sensible people)

There's nothing sensible about non-decimal systems. Who invented stones and why? Why? 

But I shall be serious for a moment. I found that for me, at least with regards to food, bingeing was absolutely caused by excessive restriction.It was super scary, but I had to stop with the restrictive dieting in order to stop bingeing. I don't know how relevant this will be for you; I was and am borderline normal/overweight and not all overeating is caused by restriction (just some). But maybe it's worth deliberately allowing for and planning a reasonable amount of fun and pleasure in your food (and other stuff) instead of going all-out on the restriction. I know the total restriction feels righteous and decisive, but it winds the spring for backlashes. 

3 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

Apologies for rambling, the spelling and the excessive & inaccurate use of punctuation.  Thanks for reading!

How, dare you;

jk. Welcome and good luck!

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Hey, thanks for taking the time Harriet.

Yeah, I guess you are right regarding excessive restriction - I think that the key to getting over it is stopping that spiraling sensation and feeling of helplessness.  Last time I'd got as far as I have got this time was 2/3 months ago.  I had a couple of months of doing really nicely and starting to feel & see the benefit when I went away for a weekend social event and overindulged all weekend.  I mean there's not any issue with overindulging every now and again and I'd always fully expected to overindulge this particular weekend but that caused a complete inability to snap out of the bad habbits and despite constantly telling myself tomorrow will be the day.  It took another big event in order to put me back on course.

So this time I need to be a bit more accepting of the situations I find myself in, I think I'm pretty good at day to day managing that.  It's being careful when that overindulgence does come along that it keeps to the weekend or the night or whatever and doesn't turn into another black hole of self destruction!

PS I totally agree on the non decimal systems bit.  They're nuts!  Here we seem to pick and choose what goes in which system, I think it has something to do with old(er) people hating the EU!

Welcome to NF! It’s one of the better places still left on the Interwebs ^_^ 

• Like 2

“If you're reading this, you must be in dire need of a change. The same thing happened to me, long ago. I'd lost sight of what mattered most in life... real connections with other people and nature. So I dropped everything and moved to the place I truly belong.”
— Grandpa's Letter from Stardew Valley

🇺🇸 Adventurer 🇬🇧

🌳🦉🌳

Current Challenge: Stardew Valley