• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hey everyone.

This area of the forum seems to be a little quiet so in an attempt to get some hiking chat going I thought it would be a good idea to share some reviews of some of the walks/hikes we've been on, with some photos.  Because, who doesn't love lovely pictures of the countryside/city/woods/beach/wherever!

So how about we have to post np more than 5 pictures from a walk with a review of the distance, type of walk and general cool things you saw?

I'll go first in the next post..

• Like 1

WALK:  Malham Cove, The Yorkshire Dales, England

DISTANCE: 8.2k 

Time: 1hour40.

This was a really short walk which is close to my home.  I wanted to go somewhere that was close by and that I could do in a couple of hours as I had to get home and get some work done in the afternoon.  the walk encompasses a woodland area leading to a small waterfall, through to a gorge which normally you can scramble up (but not today, see later on!) and onto a Cove which was created by a waterfall which no longer flows as the steam now finds its way into an underground cave system and spits out at the bottom.

It was a very rainy day and it had rained for weeks pretty much non-stop in the lead up to the walk so the streams and waterfalls were much more dramatic than they had been in the past when I'd done this walk which made things very different!

Woodland.png.ba2fab90dccfe80fb9d4dcf03e1c1479.png

First I went through a woodland area which was amazing as we progress into Autumn.  The colours and contrast was out of this world. The path was very well kept on this walk and it felt like a bit of a cheat to be honest!  I like to off road a little!

1818708095_JanetsFoss.thumb.png.e4f868dcb6473f122bf69df25975951c.png

I followed the stream through the woods to Janets Foss where it is rumoured a fairy called Janet lives in cave behind this waterfall.  I didn't see her but it was a bit rainy for faries!  Normally there is only a trickle over the top of this small waterfall but today it was a different story, it was raging!

Gordale.thumb.png.f81941a3a311c625f856e25550787f75.png

As I came out of the woods the weather started to brighten a little and it was lucky because I came to the Gordale ravine which looked stunning as it got brighter, in the next photo you will see the path you can normally scramble up to get to the final part of the walk but it wasn't accessable today because of the amount of rain about!

1157124191_Gordale1.thumb.png.99938b36e27f5f5cd6673c7d7d67c432.png

So I had to take a detour to get to the cove itself which meant backtracking a little but i didn't mind as it gave me another opportunity to see some of the scenary.  Finally the route got a little bit more off roady and I could open out my legs a little into a decent stride, although it did get a bit steeper as I approached the cove itself.  I got some really good photos from the top of the cove and played on the broken stones at the top of the cove alittle although I was super cautious as it was wet and high up!  I think I'd like to come back in dryer weather to explore this area a little more.

I then walked down the side of the cove and got a great picture of it as I was walking away - It reminded me of a mini Helms Deep!

1827456764_Malhamcove.thumb.png.4d3b98bceb50e522e3f79b9f79e81551.png

And then it was a short hike back down through the village to the car and home!  A really rewarding short walk and so different from previous time I've been because of all the water!

• Like 3

That hike looks amazing!  As much as I hate the cold back in England, the scenery was always spectacular.

I can't contribute very many hike reviews personally, but I am so here for this thread!  I developed a mean grass allergy a few years back that has made most of the hiking around me impossible without a few days of burning itchy discomfort afterwards, so I shall be living vicariously through these!

There's a little 1.5km hike around Lake Thetis near Cervantes in Western Australia that's pretty awesome.  Went there a couple of years ago with my Dad.  

15391046_10154844095326834_1066946481091

Starts out pretty green and all this desert-like underbrush which is always pretty cool to look at.  Then you hit the edge of the lake proper and it's just awesome.

15439912_10154844093801834_7681636518865

The crazy part about it is it's all alive.  The entire lake bed is a massive microbial hive of different communities all hanging out.  You're not allowed to actually step on the lake bed itself because of it, they've built platforms all the way around to keep people off, which you can see a tiny bit of here.

15356712_10154844093976834_9639830074805

And no matter what cool thing I go to, if it's got informational signs I get pictures, because knowledge is awesome.

15319099_10154844094271834_4934921367218

15439838_10154844094391834_7931240999408

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Zaethe said:

That hike looks amazing!  As much as I hate the cold back in England, the scenery was always spectacular.

There's no such thing as cold weather, only unsuitable clothing!

I can't contribute very many hike reviews personally, but I am so here for this thread!  I developed a mean grass allergy a few years back that has made most of the hiking around me impossible without a few days of burning itchy discomfort afterwards, so I shall be living vicariously through these!

This sucks, I think I've been quite lucky not to be affected by allergies.  I hope that there's enough activity in here to slake your thirst for adventure!

• Like 1

The crazy part about it is it's all alive.  The entire lake bed is a massive microbial hive of different communities all hanging out.  You're not allowed to actually step on the lake bed itself because of it, they've built platforms all the way around to keep people off, which you can see a tiny bit of here.

15356712_10154844093976834_9639830074805

That is cool!  Everything in Australia is alive and most of it is trying to kill you!

• Haha 2