• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tanktimus the Encourager

Wait, This is a Fitness Site, Isn't It? Tanktimus Gets Back to Work

On 11/4/2019 at 11:13 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

He won YOU a lot of titles, which is why I magnify his character flaws.

Tsk, tsk... thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's championship titles. :P

I'm so giddy about the Lakers finally being good again I have been told I'm a little obnoxious to be around. But really. There are 6 year-olds out there who have never seen the Lakers appear in the play-offs! Travesty! :angry:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Hiiii! I'm late.

Baby rucking is wonderful. When they have more head stability you can use her as a workout weight too. But the rucking - it's a great opportunity to bond and spend time outside and and and.....all the good things.

We have the Tula carrier and have just recently (at 5.5 months) switched to front facing when he's alert. When he strongly signals he wants to nap, we still flip him around the other way. We also have a Moby wrap we use as a basic sling for just around the house and around the block. We triple the sling and tie a big overhand knot in the ends. He used to sleep in it. Now he sits cross-legged and watches everything.

Ours is similar to a tula. The wraps all looked too complicated to us.

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Tsk, tsk... thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's championship titles. :P

I'm so giddy about the Lakers finally being good again I have been told I'm a little obnoxious to be around. But really. There are 6 year-olds out there who have never seen the Lakers appear in the play-offs! Travesty! :angry:

Sunday I was at my parents house and they had the news on. The sports guy commented that this was the first time a Spurs-Lakers game was relevant in several years. Don't get too attached to Lebron, he's a wanderer.

I don't covet the titles, I'm just saying Jackson won them for the wrong team. To be fair, I didn't care when he was winning them for Chicago, though I know some Detroit fans who do not remember those years fondly.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Sunday I was at my parents house and they had the news on. The sports guy commented that this was the first time a Spurs-Lakers game was relevant in several years. Don't get too attached to Lebron, he's a wanderer.

He's also 34, which is close to retirement age in his profession, and is why he's on a three year contract with an option after the first two. I will be a lot more upset if we lose Davis than if we lose Lebron... Anthony Davis is someone we could build a dynasty around.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

lol that boi was pulling a shaq in the last quarter after losing their lead and bulldozing through the smaller players so he could get a foul. That last game reminds me of the last championship between them.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

He's also 34, which is close to retirement age in his profession, and is why he's on a three year contract with an option after the first two. I will be a lot more upset if we lose Davis than if we lose Lebron... Anthony Davis is someone we could build a dynasty around.

Never underestimate Lebron's ability to mess up a team when he leaves.

28 minutes ago, Korranation said:

lol that boi was pulling a shaq in the last quarter after losing their lead and bulldozing through the smaller players so he could get a foul. That last game reminds me of the last championship between them.

I didn't actually watch the game.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Never underestimate Lebron's ability to mess up a team when he leaves.

Please. We're the Lakers. Dysfunction and off-court drama are an essential part of our brand. ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Please. We're the Lakers. Dysfunction and off-court drama are an essential part of our brand. ;)

Kind of like the Anti-Spurs.

Today is a good day. I did a KB workout, and it went really well. I cooked breakfast (hashbrowns, bacon, onion, and eggs all in one skillet, it was incredible) and lunch. Lunch was burgers with potato wedges. The wedges were frozen ones I put in the oven, they were a bit pedestrian. The burgers, however, made up for that. I cooked some pineapple rings in my cast iron skillet till they were caramelized on both sides and set them aside. I took 1 lb of ground beef and mixed it with montreal steak seasoning and bbq sauce. I made two 1/2 pound patties and cooked them in the same cast iron skillet where I cooked the rings. The edges were done but the inside wasn't, so I finished them in the skillet in the oven once the potatoes were done. I thin sliced an onion and cooked it in some avocado oil with balsamic vinegar till the onion slices were caramelized. When the patties came out of the oven I melted some monterey jack cheese on them. On the buns I mixed some mayo and bbq sauce. To construct the burgers I put the patties with melted cheese on the bottom part of the bun, then put the pineapple rings on the other side with a generous portion of onions, then combined them. They were amazing.

Also, Little Bit did this today.

FGnBi7P.jpg?1

• Like 17

On 11/2/2019 at 4:05 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Ah. Our humidity is nowhere near as bad. Florida 90s are not Texas 90s (at least outside of Houston). In West Texas you could probably tolerate 100s.

As someone who grew up in Lubbock and now lives in Florida, I have to say I have not read a more accurate statement

• Like 1

Awww shiiiit, she's getting even cuter really fast! 

And skimming through quickly it looks like you're cooking plenty and generally doing well? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RES said:

As someone who grew up in Lubbock and now lives in Florida, I have to say I have not read a more accurate statement

2 hours ago, RES said:

:wub::wub::wub::wub:

I know, RIGHT?

22 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

Awww shiiiit, she's getting even cuter really fast! 

And skimming through quickly it looks like you're cooking plenty and generally doing well? 

Yes, thanks!

So something good that happened yesterday. I didn't mention it before cause I wrote the last post right after it happened and didn't want to write it all up that soon. We had our first Wednesday Service (so named because they are the first Wednesday of every month) at church, and I wasn't feeling well. I was fine till about an hour before it was time to go, then I got so sleepy I could barely stay awake. My lungs were feeling tight, and I was super introverted. I know because when we got to church I didn't want to interact with ANYone, not even people I really like. Last month, I stayed home from first Wednesday because about a half hour before time to leave I started feeling bad, and ended up staying home while Sra. Tanque and Little Bit went without me. I had...GI issues and felt like I had a fever. I was wrapped up in blankets in bed. About the time church ended that time, I felt better.

Fast forward back to last night. Every time I've gone to a first Wednesday service I've had a very moving spiritual experience. The kinds of things that someone who grows up my flavor of Christian tends to scoff at. Realizing that, and realizing also what happened last month and last night, something occurred to me. There was something trying to stop me from going to these services. For those not familiar with the Christian Tradition, most of us acknowledge the existence of "Spiritual Warfare" where God's enemies try to prevent God's people from doing God's work and relating better to God. There is also a tradition (that is seen in the Christian Scriptures) of rejoicing when one is the subject of those attacks, because it means we are worthy of 1) suffering for Christ and 2) being worth trying to stop. The enemy typically doesn't bother people who aren't effective for the kingdom of heaven. 

When I realized that in the context of what I was going through, I felt like Thor realizing he was still worthy of Mjollnr in Endgame. I literally said to myself, "I'm worthy" and broke down and cried (good tears). It was an incredible experience.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I know, RIGHT?

Yes, thanks!

So something good that happened yesterday. I didn't mention it before cause I wrote the last post right after it happened and didn't want to write it all up that soon. We had our first Wednesday Service (so named because they are the first Wednesday of every month) at church, and I wasn't feeling well. I was fine till about an hour before it was time to go, then I got so sleepy I could barely stay awake. My lungs were feeling tight, and I was super introverted. I know because when we got to church I didn't want to interact with ANYone, not even people I really like. Last month, I stayed home from first Wednesday because about a half hour before time to leave I started feeling bad, and ended up staying home while Sra. Tanque and Little Bit went without me. I had...GI issues and felt like I had a fever. I was wrapped up in blankets in bed. About the time church ended that time, I felt better.

Fast forward back to last night. Every time I've gone to a first Wednesday service I've had a very moving spiritual experience. The kinds of things that someone who grows up my flavor of Christian tends to scoff at. Realizing that, and realizing also what happened last month and last night, something occurred to me. There was something trying to stop me from going to these services. For those not familiar with the Christian Tradition, most of us acknowledge the existence of "Spiritual Warfare" where God's enemies try to prevent God's people from doing God's work and relating better to God. There is also a tradition (that is seen in the Christian Scriptures) of rejoicing when one is the subject of those attacks, because it means we are worthy of 1) suffering for Christ and 2) being worth trying to stop. The enemy typically doesn't bother people who aren't effective for the kingdom of heaven. 

When I realized that in the context of what I was going through, I felt like Thor realizing he was still worthy of Mjollnr in Endgame. I literally said to myself, "I'm worthy" and broke down and cried (good tears). It was an incredible experience.

Very interesting. I'm   pretty much in the flavor of Christianity that scoffs at such.. But, as you pointed out, the Bible says there is a very real spiritual warfare. And we have in the Bible where Job was inflicted with sores and sickness from Satan to try and get him to curse God.  It is good to be aware of it, so you can realize it is a fight and that Satan really does hate people worshipping God. Which makes me think, I need to be aware too. Usually with me it's just that lethargy or Idontwanna. Sunday morning is a disciplined habit, but other days I can be swayed by unimportant thing.

• Like 3

There was something trying to stop me from going to these services. For those not familiar with the Christian Tradition, most of us acknowledge the existence of "Spiritual Warfare" where God's enemies try to prevent God's people from doing God's work and relating better to God. There is also a tradition (that is seen in the Christian Scriptures) of rejoicing when one is the subject of those attacks, because it means we are worthy of 1) suffering for Christ and 2) being worth trying to stop. The enemy typically doesn't bother people who aren't effective for the kingdom of heaven

@Tanktimus the Encourager

I have experienced this kind of warfare as well. Back when I was co-teaching a set-apart girl Bible study; I would get migraines on the day I was supposed to teach. Unbeknownst to me, the other teacher was having stomach issues. It wasn't until I was talking about it to her that we realized what was happening. We prayed & agreed that no matter what; we were continuing.

Don't give up & don't give in, Tanktimus!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

This is THE MOST ACCURATE song I've ever heard...and I heard it when I first moved to Lubbock over 35 years ago

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I know, RIGHT?

OMG if it's possible to die from cuteness overload!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Very interesting. I'm   pretty much in the flavor of Christianity that scoffs at such.. But, as you pointed out, the Bible says there is a very real spiritual warfare. And we have in the Bible where Job was inflicted with sores and sickness from Satan to try and get him to curse God.  It is good to be aware of it, so you can realize it is a fight and that Satan really does hate people worshipping God. Which makes me think, I need to be aware too. Usually with me it's just that lethargy or Idontwanna. Sunday morning is a disciplined habit, but other days I can be swayed by unimportant thing.

We all have blind spots in our faith. It's a lot easier to point out other tradition's blind spots than be aware of our own.

2 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

There was something trying to stop me from going to these services. For those not familiar with the Christian Tradition, most of us acknowledge the existence of "Spiritual Warfare" where God's enemies try to prevent God's people from doing God's work and relating better to God. There is also a tradition (that is seen in the Christian Scriptures) of rejoicing when one is the subject of those attacks, because it means we are worthy of 1) suffering for Christ and 2) being worth trying to stop. The enemy typically doesn't bother people who aren't effective for the kingdom of heaven

@Tanktimus the Encourager

I have experienced this kind of warfare as well. Back when I was co-teaching a set-apart girl Bible study; I would get migraines on the day I was supposed to teach. Unbeknownst to me, the other teacher was having stomach issues. It wasn't until I was talking about it to her that we realized what was happening. We prayed & agreed that no matter what; we were continuing.

Don't give up & don't give in, Tanktimus!

Thank you! I won't.

1 hour ago, RES said:

This is THE MOST ACCURATE song I've ever heard...and I heard it when I first moved to Lubbock over 35 years ago

OMG if it's possible to die from cuteness overload!

FWIW Every time I've left Lubbock I've not felt the need to go back. If you could see my daughter in person you might need medical attention. She is really starting to get into cooing and it's amazing.

Today is a good day. We dropped Little Bit off at her (maternal) grandparents for the day and went grocery shopping. Of course, we got breakfast tacos before shopping. They were amazing. We came home and put away the groceries and Sra Tanque did some prep for going back to work. We ate out for lunch (Spoiler alert, no cooking today, dinner was Whataburger) then went to get me some new belts and new shoes. They go well with the jeans we got last month. We were looking for casual shoes to wear with jeans that were a step up from athletic shoes. We found them, as indicated by the link. This is all part of my master plan to overhaul my wardrobe a little bit each month. I did about 20 minutes of yoga for my workout in the evening.

• Like 12

On 11/7/2019 at 3:45 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Also, Little Bit did this today.

She looks totally relaxed. Zen, even. Like a yoga instructor, maybe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

She looks totally relaxed. Zen, even. Like a yoga instructor, maybe.

She was relaxed in that picture. Unfortunately, babies don't stay that calm.

Today is a day. Little Bit was fussy all day and I had to come to work and Leave Sra. Tanque home alone with her. I did, however, get another KB workout in. That's three workouts for this week, and while Baby rucking wasn't one of them (at least not yet) it's a sign of hope for the return of workout consistency. 

• Like 11

On 11/7/2019 at 11:31 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I grew up very reserved, and slowly but surely over the years became more spiritually aware and totally believe in spiritual warfare, that things are happening around us that we don't always know about, but I don't always know how to handle it. *hugs* for acknowledging and realising what is going on. It shows personal growth as much as effectiveness for Father's Kingdom. So happy for you, and just hang in there. You are one amazing pastor, and friend in Jesus.

Little Bit is so cute. :love_heart:

PS: We call those shoes 'vellies'. [fellies] It is supposedly how the old Voortrekkers and Afrikaners made the uppers of their shoes. And they used hard leather or something for the soles.

Edited by ElizeElvinFoxRyder
added info
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Woot. As the wise man said, “What matters with bells is how often you swing them.”

True. You apparently surround yourself with good friends.

5 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

I grew up very reserved, and slowly but surely over the years became more spiritually aware and totally believe in spiritual warfare, that things are happening around us that we don't always know about, but I don't always know how to handle it. *hugs* for acknowledging and realising what is going on. It shows personal growth as much as effectiveness for Father's Kingdom. So happy for you, and just hang in there. You are one amazing pastor, and friend in Jesus.

Little Bit is so cute. :love_heart:

PS: We call those shoes 'vellies'. [fellies] It is supposedly how the old Voortrekkers and Afrikaners made the uppers of their shoes. And they used hard leather or something for the soles.

Thank you for all those kind words. 

• Like 3

On 11/7/2019 at 4:31 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

most of us acknowledge the existence of "Spiritual Warfare"

I often feel unwell, grouchy, sad, shy, etc. before a scheduled church or fellowship event, and I always take that as a sign that something important is going to happen and I really need to push through and show up. Without fail, I or someone else is always blessed.

We always knew you were worthy.  :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SkyGirl said:

I often feel unwell, grouchy, sad, shy, etc. before a scheduled church or fellowship event, and I always take that as a sign that something important is going to happen and I really need to push through and show up. Without fail, I or someone else is always blessed.

We always knew you were worthy.  :) 

Thank you. I don't always remember, and this was one of the more helpful reminders in my life.

Weekend update:

Saturday was good, I cooked and went to work. The sides were prepared mashed potatoes and prepared sauced broccoli (cheese sauce). The main dish was of my own invention. I fried a few pieces of chopped bacon in a skillet and set the bacon aside. I cooked some chopped boneless skinless chicken thighs in the grease with salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and smoked paprika. As some fond developed on the skillet I deglazed it with some pinot grigio. As the chicken got close to done I eyeballed the addition of some flour. Once that integrated with the fat I eyeballed the addition of some milk. This created a sauce that went really well with the chicken. I added the bacon back in to heat it up and seasoned as needed. It was really good.

Sunday I had to work in the evening when I don't normally, also Little Bit was fussy several times in the night. Sra. Tanque and I were very tired. We had pizza delivered.

Today I am at far hospital, but due to working last night I got to come in late and will leave early (9:45 to 1:45 instead of 9-5:30). I hope that means I'll get a workout session at home. I know it means I will cook tonight.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

That chicken business sounds delicious....mmmmm. Taking notes.

Don't come here hungry.

Yesterday was good. No workout, but that was a choice. I was pretty tired. I only had to work four hours at far hospital; getting home early was nice. I used that time to put covers on our hose bibs as a cold front hit about the time I got home. I then got a fire ready in the fireplace (our first fire in our new home!) and kicked back. I made dinner when Sra. Tanque got home with Little Bit. I thin sliced a lemon, then put salmon on top of the slices in a baking sheet. I put asparagus all around. I seasoned everything with salt and pepper, then drizzled it all with a mixture of 2 tbsp melted butter, 2 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp minced garlic. I put it in the oven at 400 for 15 minutes and served it over rice.

Yesterday was Sra. Tanque's first day back at work (High School Spanish Teacher) after having the baby, and it was difficult for her. Once she got home we processed her day and she felt better.

Bonus Fire Pic:

4GLMNeU.jpg

That wood you see in the background was not all I used for the fire, it was a little extra to throw on top for some awesome pine smell. This fireplace works really well. The airflow is much better than what we had in the apartment and it puts off the same amount of heat with a lot less wood burning. 

• Like 10