Juice Bar - Rebel Hang Out

Wobbegong

22 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I know. I took six years of German in school. German grammar is what made it possible for me to even begin to grasp Swedish grammar. :)

The spelling rules still elude me.

Okay, I maybe haven't advanced enough yet to see the difficulty.

But I won't denie that German is difficult. It hurts me each time when some of my family members ignore grammar rules. It's like when a native english speaker would use "he have". 

• Like 1

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch

On 10/22/2019 at 1:08 AM, fleaball said:

I might poke you with German questions once in a while, but I'm really trying to focus on Spanish right now.

For how long are you learning Spanish? And how you learn? 

• Like 1

Was wäre das Leben, hätten wir nicht den Mut, etwas zu riskieren. Vincent van Goch

1 hour ago, Akari said:

For how long are you learning Spanish? And how you learn? 

I’ve been working at it on and off for years. The problem for me is that I can understand a lot of it thanks to my French background, I just don’t know the vocabulary or grammar to speak or write it. I’ve been using an app called Duolingo, which makes it like a game. There are a lot of languages on there too. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

7 hours ago, Whisper said:

And now, a gif:

president obama comedy GIF

you officially win best gif of the thread. 

6 hours ago, Chesire said:

HI!  I found NF about 18 months ago because I was trapped in a foolish thought cycle about health which the article I landed on addressed and smacked sense back in to my head!  From there I, mostly, haven't looked back.  Now the goal is to know and trust the path I must walk to be satisfied with life.  Also known as, show up every day and do the thing.  

My first signs of nerd-dom was a love of Latin, followed by generally a love of language.  I may or may not have 4 English dictionaries in my house.  

And, as my nerd cred does not include computer savviness, why is it when I try to include a gif it shows as an image?  

I want to learn Latin ugh stop giving me ideas. How are you trying to include your gif? The easiest way to do it if you’re grabbing one from the interwebs is right click on the gif, hit “copy image address,” and then paste that link into the reply box and it should work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

@fleaball I think you won't come far with duolingo. I use currently Fluent Forever. This app isn't free but it has hundreds of sentences in various levels of difficulty which are spoken by native people. It has a 14 day trial (and if i remember correctly you won't need a credit card for the free trial).

Another good way to learn a language is by using anki to creat cusgomized flashcards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akari said:

@fleaball I think you won't come far with duolingo. I use currently Fluent Forever. This app isn't free but it has hundreds of sentences in various levels of difficulty which are spoken by native people. It has a 14 day trial (and if i remember correctly you won't need a credit card for the free trial).

Another good way to learn a language is by using anki to creat cusgomized flashcards. 

Flashcards and I don’t get along. :( I had to use Anki on my program in Jordan and it just didn’t help me at all. I know Duolingo isn’t gonna get me fluent, but for now it’s kinda the only thing I have the attention span for. I have a couple Spanish grammar books that I bought forever ago and some others from the library, so I’ll get there eventually. I’ll check out Fluent Forever though and add it to my list. 

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

Duo lingo strikes me as an easy way to get started learning a language, or as a tool for refreshing knowledge about a language I used to know, but have forgotten a lot about. Like it teaches someone enough to get by, but not enough to be fluent.

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

ATTENTION REBELS

It is incumbent upon me to inform you that, as if the change to a five-week challenge format earlier this year was not enough, the last challenge of the year (that's the next one after the one we're about to start) will be THREE WEEKS ONLY and will be an ALL-GUILD challenge. In case you're already planning for that or something. 

That is all. You may now return to your previously scheduled programming. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

the last challenge of the year (that's the next one after the one we're about to start) will be THREE WEEKS ONLY and will be an ALL-GUILD challenge

I'm only on my second challenge and I can't find the rules about it, so I'll ask the stupid questions on behalf of the uninitiated: What is an "all-guild" challenge? Will this involve group cooperation? Is it only 3 weeks because too many nerds are OCD about calendars? What is the answer to life, the universe and everything? Who is Keyser Soze? Does anyone else smell toast?

• Haha 2

"You idiots! These are not them! You've captured their stunt doubles!" -Spaceballs-

The Rybach Saga

Current Chapter / Previous Chapters: 1 2 / Epic Quests

In respect to the all guild challenge, I'm not familiar with this one either.  I'd guess it's that we're not hiving off into guilds and such, and all threads may possibly be in a singular forum section.  But it's just a wild guess, no actual knowledge.  

Of course, the man to ask would be @Tanktimus the Encourager

• Like 1

Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house.

4 minutes ago, Zaethe said:

In respect to the all guild challenge, I'm not familiar with this one either.  I'd guess it's that we're not hiving off into guilds and such, and all threads may possibly be in a singular forum section.  But it's just a wild guess, no actual knowledge. 

It's an accurate guess though. That is exactly what it is. :)

• Like 3

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

I can't seem to to create a new topic. Is there something wonky with the forum, or is it just me?

Working now. 

Put together enough small wins over a long enough period of time, and you’ll find yourself in high level gear fighting dragons before you know it.

Whisper Game Mode Easy

Spoiler

The new Darebee PVP Challenge has been posted! If you're a fan of Avatar: The Last Airbender, enjoy the Darebee daily dares, or just want to compete against some fellow rebels in a challenge that is easy to squeeze into the rest of your schedule, come join us!

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Wakes the White Wolf

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals MoreWolfDreamer Embraces His Wild PoetThe Mad Poet Becomes SupernaturalWolfDreamer, The Mad Poet, Becomes SuperhumanWolfDreamer ElevatesWolfDreamer Becomes IronBorn

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

12 hours ago, Rybach said:

I'm only on my second challenge and I can't find the rules about it, so I'll ask the stupid questions on behalf of the uninitiated: What is an "all-guild" challenge?

All guilds will host a single challenge forum together in one big group as opposed to our usual Rebel/Warrior/Scout/etc divvying up. 

Will this involve group cooperation?

There will be a mini, but otherwise you can expect the usual free-for-all of individual challenge parameters. You are welcome but not required to participate in the mini. 

Is it only 3 weeks because too many nerds are OCD about calendars?

Basically. When we transitioned to the 5-week system earlier, there was significant debate (among the sneaky GLs and forum management) about how exactly to cordon off the year given the issues of zero week buffers and the 52-week calendar. Questions were raised as to whether it was important to have challenges at roughly the same times year after year (as opposed to becoming offset one or two or three weeks at a time) and it was determined that a schedule that fit into a year smoothly was preferable; further questions, about how to resolve that to everyone's satisfaction (alternating 4- and 5-week challenges? Skipping zero week? Extra-long zero weeks at strategic points throughout the year?) were resolved with the idea of a shorter challenge at the end of the year, when many of the Rebellion forces are distracted and forum engagement has historically been low anyway. 

What is the answer to life, the universe and everything?

I have it on good authority that the answer is 42. 

Who is Keyser Soze?

This one's out of my jurisdiction, but I recommend John List's story if you're looking for some inspirational background reading.  

Does anyone else smell toast?

12 hours ago, Zaethe said:

Sorry, got peckish

giphy.gif

Asked and answered. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Ooooo... John LIst. He ALMOST got away with it. I remember that story!

Also - smelling burnt toast (or rubber) when there is none can be a sign of stroke or brain tumor - which is what immediately popped into my overactive brain. But is a good PSA. The more you know TM.

• Like 1

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Mahalak here...Hebrew for "walking with purpose." I'm here because NF has helped me see the me that is possible, even as it helps me better appreciate the me that I am.

My nerdy qualities include a love for the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter (reading these out loud to my children when they were young was a highlight of my life), and an inordinate interest in superheroes and comic books, even though I stopped collected them nearly 30 years ago. My adult children and I still see new superhero movies together whenever we can.

PS I'm a native of Pittsburgh, Squirrel Hill actually, and today is the anniversary of the synagogue shooting there. There is a better world that is possible.

giphy.gif

• Like 4

*Member of 2018 Hogwarts House Cup Championship Team*

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

1 hour ago, Mahalak said:

Mahalak here...Hebrew for "walking with purpose." I'm here because NF has helped me see the me that is possible, even as it helps me better appreciate the me that I am.

That's a very lovely sentiment! Thank you for sharing.

I studied near east archaeology as an undergrad and that included one year of Biblical Hebrew. It was really lovely and clever and I wish I had the chance to do the second year as that got more into the poetry. What I mostly remember now is that King Solomon, in Hebrew, is Melek Shlomo. The wisest man in the world, Shlomo!

• Like 1

<--<< Daughter of Artemis >>-->

1 minute ago, Leimanu said:

That's a very lovely sentiment! Thank you for sharing.

I studied near east archaeology as an undergrad and that included one year of Biblical Hebrew. It was really lovely and clever and I wish I had the chance to do the second year as that got more into the poetry. What I mostly remember now is that King Solomon, in Hebrew, is Melek Shlomo. The wisest man in the world, Shlomo!

As a Presbyterian, seminarians have to take one year of biblical Hebrew and one of Greek. The Hebrew, in particular, was life-changing!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

*Member of 2018 Hogwarts House Cup Championship Team*

If you're walking down the right path and you're willing to keep walking, eventually you'll make progress. -Barack Obama

Anyone who moves on, even a little, walks like Jesus on the water. -Antonio Machado

Hi, everyone. I've been on the Boards since 2012. Relating Star Wars to fitness was a life-changer! I did lose weight and was at a healthy weight for the first time ever, but then I  did the thing that happens where I gained more back. I'm currently working on finding the reasons why I binge in the evening.

My nerdy things are MST3K and the original Star Wars trilogy. Luke is my boy. 

My current nerdy thing is Wizards Unite. After this brilliant event, I'll be Level 12, lol! 

Good luck with the challenge, y'all!

Image result for gif, funny, luke skywalker

• Like 2

Just now, Mahalak said:

As a Presbyterian, seminarians have to take one year of biblical Hebrew and one of Greek. The Hebrew, in particular, was life-changing!

giphy.gif

Greek and Hebrew were offered alternatively every other year. I'm glad I was there for the Hebrew year. I think it's great to take a class like that because you understand how sticky and snarly translation is. Some pretty important tenants are open to translation! 

• Like 3