Martinpanduh's November Challenge!

Hey guys! The last challenge for me went by so fast, it was a success in terms of my main goal of adapting (more or less) to the Paleo diet but I failed to keep up in terms of exercise. In terms of pounds lost/redistributed, I lost around 6-8 pounds (unsure as of this point in time) and I'm fitting back into my old clothes! For this challenge, basically I'm going to keep up the 95% Paleo lifestyle (when I say 95%, I mean I'm not picky when people serve me meat in batter--which tends to happen a lot in this day and age, and when it comes to fresh string bean dishes) and going to put some more running into the mix. I'm going to copy paste here what I wrote in that other thread:

Race: Half Ogre/Half Human. I'm 5'10 and currently 200lbs. Athletic build (but used to be 250 lbs of blubber, exactly 2 years ago). I gain weight easily. I'm Asian and I used to eat rice three times a day but as of last challenge, I'm now on the Paleo diet 95% of the way and I'm loving it. I used to be a varsity level rower but am now focusing on running/compound weights to shift myself into gear.

Ideal Profession: 007--more Daniel than Pierce HAHA. But seriously, I guess I'd be a Ranger. I'm not looking to super bulk up like an Olympic athlete but I do appreciate that big look. A guy who look like who could handle himself, even if he didn't have the abs. In short, Daniel Craig (haha abs are a bonus!)

Goals:

1. Maintain my Paleo diet (easy enough, as I just survived a long-weekend marshalling a triathlon ignoring packed lunch meals of pasta and rice--sticking to the little meat and fruits I could find). I want to discover new and exciting recipes for myself.

2. Improve my running endurance and speed, just for myself. I want to learn to love running by increasing my capacity to do more than a "sprint" 5k. I need to run at least 3-4 times a week and to be able to enjoy it.

Summary for my fitness goals could be basically the opposite of a bulking period. I think I've already got the bulk down just fine (from my rowing background, I lift heavy weights, can squat heavy etc.). In the next month I'll be moving into my Grandmother's house (a bit away from the city--aka away from my gym). It'll be perfect for outdoor runs, a well deserved break from all the time I put into the treadmill. I won't have access to weights so I'll try to see what I can figure out with body weight exercises. As of the last challenge, I'd already lost/redistributed weight through 90% diet and a 10% exercise ratio. Let's see what a stronger cardio element would make in terms of results.

As for my life goal: The reason I'm moving in with my Grandmother is so that I could be her apprentice. I'm going to learn the ropes of her business so I could adapt and expand her business online. Within the next 28 days, I plan to take steps to make sure this happens--or at least, launch it from stasis.

As for another goal, I need to do well (hopefully pass) my Spanish language DELE certification exam this weekend! We'll see where it goes.

This is my twitter http://twitter.com/#!/martinpanduh. As per Steve's suggestion, I have myself half-naked pictures (I went to the beach okay) of my current 199-200lb frame at 5'10 so we'll definitely see if this month's challenge will take its toll. Cheers!

Sounds like you've got some good goals laid out for the month. What is you plan for enjoying running more, that seems like a tricky one. I used to hate running when I did it for training to do other sports, but now I really enjoy running just for the sake of running and being outside.

What is your weather like this time of year?

As for my life goal: The reason I'm moving in with my Grandmother is so that I could be her apprentice. I'm going to learn the ropes of her business so I could adapt and expand her business online. Within the next 28 days, I plan to take steps to make sure this happens--or at least, launch it from stasis.

this is totally cool.

good luck this month with everything :)

Sounds like you've got some good goals laid out for the month. What is you plan for enjoying running more, that seems like a tricky one. I used to hate running when I did it for training to do other sports, but now I really enjoy running just for the sake of running and being outside.

What is your weather like this time of year?

I can run pretty decently for distances not more than 5k, I've never attempted a 10k but at my running peak (training for at least 3-4 times a week) I got it down to 21 minutes plus plus for a 5k. At the time I always ran in a group (rowing training!) and motivation was no problem, but after graduating college I got stuck with running on a treadmill and that made a huge difference.

Eventually I dropped out of the whole running outdoors things, consequently I never spent enough time on the treadmill. This time, I'm going to try to recover the whole spirit of running outdoors and maybe get enough mileage to run a 10k!

The weather here is supposed to be "rainy" (it's only either Summer or Monsoon season here) but there's always enough Sunshine in a day to do something outdoors-y. Alas, the tropics can get very predictable or very dangerous at times haha.

this is totally cool.

good luck this month with everything :)

Thanks! It's going to be a clothing business. My Grandmother has been making clothes for her clients for almost 40 years now I think, she taught herself and mostly does weddings, custom made things like that. She hasn't done retail for a while.

I kind of just quit my job or "done for the year" as my Boss says. I used to work for a Spanish cultural embassy, mainly events so its kinda valid but now that I'm a gentleman of leisure, I feel like it's a good a time as any to "follow my passion". If I fail, at least I get to say I tried. Right?

The plan is to learn everything I can learn with my Grandmother (pattern drafting, the textile business and all that) and then establish an online store with things catered to the younger set. Wish me luck! I wonder what a month can bring!

That sounds like a cool plan. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks CapN! Means a lot.

At any rate, I've kinda lost track of the days but in terms of my Paleo diet, I haven't had any major transgressions. I maintain a fairly carefree approach to this, I generally just stay away from all the grains but I'm not picky when it comes to everything else. I stay away from beans to but not fresh string beans, I like this new lifestyle anyway so I'm definitely going to stick to it until I reach desired results. 180lbs (from my current 200 frame/5'10) if you were wondering.

I did a 20 minute run on the treadmill today (I know, I haven't moved to my Grandmother's yet so I'm still based in my gym.) at a 6.5 mi/h pace up until the 17th minute. Then I did 2 minutes of 7.5 and the final minute at 8.5 mi/h. I did the bench also + 5 sets of the Bear complex. Good day I'd say!

Oh and I just saw Harry Potter, epic I can't wait for the Part II!

now that I'm a gentleman of leisure

LOL. I think your plan is awesome, probably a lot of work but hopefully it all works out. I don't know what you do/don't read around the internet about starting up a business, but I've seen a lot of stuff on getrichslowly.org lately about it, if you're interested.

Also, where are you right now? I think it's funny that my teammate is in summer and I'm in 40 degrees. :D

now that I'm a gentleman of leisure

LOL. I think your plan is awesome, probably a lot of work but hopefully it all works out. I don't know what you do/don't read around the internet about starting up a business, but I've seen a lot of stuff on getrichslowly.org lately about it, if you're interested.

Also, where are you right now? I think it's funny that my teammate is in summer and I'm in 40 degrees. :D

I live in the Philippines! The "if it isn't sweltering hot, it's probably raining" kind of weather all-year round HAHAHA. Where are you based?

Oh and I'm so glad I effectively used "gentleman of leisure" in a sentence, in this life HAHA.

Seriously? Where about? My mom's from Manila. (We're in US now.)

Also, now that I know this, I'm going to assume your grandmother is an amazing seamstress. The best clothes I've ever seen/felt/wore were (hand)made in the Philippines.

I'm from Manila! HAHA, Quezon City to be exact. Have you visited here already?

Yea she is, but her taste is for her matronic clientele (her words, not mine) she wants to give me the chance to youthen-up her brand a bit.

Hey, we're neighbors! Craziness. My mom's from Makati.

I visited several years ago. The phrases I'll use to describe the Philippines are "hot," and "goddamn it's hot." And I'm from Florida, so I'm familiar with blow-your-brains-out-heat.

Couldn't have said it better myself! Hahaha, though we tend to say "insert-spanish-curse-here, ang init" literally: goddamn, it's hot. It's the humidity + the sun = makes for great tanning HAHAHA.

So far doing well on the diet front, I can't say this enough. Maintaining a paleo lifestyle (at least the no grains, bread, pasta base) is easy with enough foresight and preparation. I'm slowly seeing results! As for the exercise front, I haven't gotten some serious running in there but I've been doing my share of exercise with a few other things.

Hope to get started with running this week! Cheers!

Just put in a nice run today, OUTDOORS and I haven't done that in a long time. I put in 24 minutes of hard/semi-hard running for what felt like a good 5k. It felt great to run in a place that has so many route possibilities. I felt spent after my final sprint to my Lola's front door. I'll do the same route again tomorrow and see if I can get the time down. The hills are killer but then I feel oh so great for putting in my exercise time.

After, I had breakfast of sausage, a one-egg omelette, half an orange and cheese! I love my Grandmother and her cook hahaha. Today, I my Lola already told me that she's going to have me make my first pattern block today and possibly already construct my first garment.

Today I make my first concrete step towards my life goal this challenge! EPIC.

Great job! On running outside (a feat in the Philippines!) and also on getting one step closer to your life goal!

Actually I got to run outside around 6AM and the sun in tropics doesn't factor in at least till 9 am, so it was pretty chilly. The -ber months do bring somewhat lower temperatures, you'd be surprised! But once noon rolls around, the humidity kills.

Ugh, I despise humidity!

How are you doing lately?

Hahaha good question, I'm actually doing quite well with the diet but (a huge BUT) I haven't got in the time to do some exercise, nor will I have the time in this coming week.

You see this weekend, I went to the beach (Calatagan, four hours away from Manila to the South) with my friends. We spent two nights, three days at my friend's huge village--she has like four houses on this one hillside, so it's kind of like a village--and we whiled away our time swimming, tanning, drinking, the works. It was paradise on Earth. Coming into this, I thought I was going to cave and end up eating cookies or chips (the devil) but I persevered! Can you believe that? I didn't touch a single chip nor chocolate chip for that matter. Thanks to my friend's cook, we were well plied with real food, so I spent meal times eating salad and meat. But then I can't say the same about the amount of liquid calories I downed HAHAHA but for me, it's the principle of the thing = no grains, no bread, no nothing. But alas, I spent those two nights drunk on cherry beers (BEER + GRENADINE = EPIC) and VodkaSprites so I could just imagine the calories. Yikes.

So on the diet front, I'm doing well but on the exercise front, I can't say the same. This weekend, I'm going to the beach again (South of Manila once again) to La Luz, Batangas because I'm going to be part of our last Triathlon for the year. I'm going to be the Swim manager, so I'm in charge of measuring the line, sinking the buoys, coordinating our lifeguards and all that. It's an open water swim so I will have the sea to contend with. It's going to be fun, I hope I get to fit in some exercise during the weekend (I'll be there from Wednesday night to Sunday) but I'm sure I'll keep my diet in check. Lo juro.

Hahaha I felt like I made a blog entry up here, I put all these things on my blog plus tons of pictures here at http://somuchtrouble.livejournal.com. Check it out if you want!

Forward we go!

So I'm back, the triathlon went super well! I'll post about it soon on my lj once I get to steal some pictures hahaha! I am tanned like nobody's business. The Triathlon this time was an off-road tri: 1k open water swim (I was the swim manager), 29k off-road bike and then a 4k trail run. The site was epic, one of the nicer beaches/resorts closer to Manila. I'd totally recommend it if you guys visit the Philippines. It's 4 hours away and relatively easier to get to, worth yo' money for sure.

The sea was very clear and there's a dive site nearby, just with your goggles SCHOOLS of fish can be seen, Angelfish and Clownfish etc. Very very nice.

At any rate, so yeah I'm back and I just went out for a run. I did the same route as last time and I got it down to 23:30 minutes. I felt much more winded this time, I guess I cut some time for having already the route mapped out. Still on my diet! Though I've kind of cheated by drinking juice/iced tea at the beach! It's so hard to resist under the blaring sun and someone practically handing you an ice cold glass!

HAHA cheers!

I went out for a quick run yesterday, same route but I cut out the last loop (maybe a good 500-700 meters) and I clocked in around 19 minutes. It's kinda hard for me to look forward to going for a run when I'm doing it myself, in general, I find it hard to enjoy unless I'm running with friends. Which for me isn't a common possibility anymore since we've all graduated.

Will try to sleep early tonight so I can go for a run tomorrow. Today, I didn't run since I didn't find the time. /excuses

As for my life goal, can you believe I've already made my first dress? IT IS EPIC. My Grandmother helped me out a great deal but imagine that, I used a book as basis for my pattern and I followed all the steps and voila: IT'S ALIVE. Here, let me show you:

http://twitpic.com/3e0724#

Haha do you like my Iron Man shirt? At any rate, ignore the cut, ignore the color! It's just for practice anyway but maaan, do I feel ecstatic! I have tons more to learn but I'm so glad I got to accomplish that. All for now! I want to go back to the beach HAHA /SLACKER. Cheers!

Good run today, I lowered my time once again by half a minute. I think it's just my body getting back into the routine of things and getting used to the route in terms of pacing. Maybe it's time I switch it up a bit, but the route is still challenging me (by a lot actually, lots of hills) so I'll stick to it for now.

In other news, I bought my first watch with a timer today! I'm so happy, can't wait to test it out on a run. Hasta la proxima!

My, my how a month really goes by so fast! To be honest, I didn't exactly feel the urgency of this month in terms of my fitness goals but that doesn't mean I blew all my progress off. So let's break it down:

Goals for this month:

1. Maintain my Paleo diet--I'd easily give myself an A- here. I love this diet, it's the right thing for me. I would consider myself, like I said, a 95% Paleo person. I stay away from all the obvious bad food such as rice/pasta/bread/grain/cookies/cake/etc., but I don't bother when it comes to breaded meat (which is like, once in a blue moon if I could help it) AND the soda/beer/hard liquor. It's so easy for me to maintain this, I can see myself doing this for the rest of my life. I spend every meal between meat and steamed vegetables--couldn't get any simpler than that!

2. Improve my running endurance and speed--here's where it gets a bit murky. Out of the entire month, I can say that I ran 5 times/days. They were definitely good workouts but the frequency is just sad. This was my weakness last month, I need to ramp it up next challenge. I'd give myself a C. I definitely did not learn how to "love" running.

As for my life goals: I successfully adjusted to life in the mountains (HA!--to my Grandmother's house, just a 30 minute drive from the center of everything here in Manila) and as was posted earlier, I'm finally learning how to make clothes! It's phenomenal, I now know how to draft the most basic patterns, cut them out and sew garments! I'm getting better day by day! Eventually I'd like to set up my own online clothing retail store (the closest among my long term goals) and I can definitely feel my progress. As for my Spanish test, I took it and I think I did reasonably well. I'm getting the results from Spain in a few months so all in all, I'd give myself a resounding A for this one. Not going to lie, I'm proud of what I've accomplished in the past month.

So I guess al final, I get a B- HAHAHA Math was never my strongest suit but whatev. See you next challenge! Time to take the fitness side seriously this time! You can count on it!